Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Employee Reviews

Low pay and very little advancement
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Overton, TXJune 15, 2018
The requirements of the job are not hard but the pay isn't worth it. Employees are underappreciated and underpaid. The employee pool is very stagnant and the management is poor. The benefits are a major plus, full medical, dental, vision, life, and PTO accrual.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
management is poor
Secure job
Senior Administrave Coordinator (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXMay 23, 2018
A good place to work. There are always a few people that are difficult, but overall, a great place to work. Many great people to work with and most are patient in the learning process.
A multitude of opportunities to learn and grow
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXMay 7, 2018
Fantastic boss, managment, and learning opportunities. This job took me all over the state for various research purposes I never knew from one day to the next what I would be doing or where. I learned more than I could ever put into words and had a plethora of work opportunites that I still value to this day. The hours could often be long but the coworkers and management were great and encouraging to learn as we worked.
Pros
Learning opportunities abundant
Cons
Hours often long
Great place to work.
Accounting Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Uvalde, TXApril 9, 2018
Fast paced, many interruptions. Account reconciliations, re-allocation of pro-card expenses, issued Purchase Orders, assist counties with account information or Contract and Grants, accounts payable, backup receptionist, assisted District Manager with Budget as needed throughout the month, assisted with upcoming meeting setup.

Learned several different types of software and operating system, learned to run the Postermaker machine and the many steps an accounts payable goes through before it is finally paid.

Hardest part of the job was not having requested information available to assist County Extension with questions regarding their Contracts and Grants.

Very enjoyable part of the job was listening to the District Manager's stories about her childhood during break time.
Pros
Great co-workers, very good pay, very diversified culture, several paid holidays, accrued annual leave, state retirement and insurance.
Cons
Very hard to assist some of the County personnel, lack of information for their Contract or Grant, considerable time was spent on obtaining information, many times their request was not how the Contract or Grant was set up initially by them.
Worked to death
County Extension Agent (Current Employee) –  TexasJanuary 26, 2018
You will never do the same thing twice. Always on the go, but you work so much that you don't have time for a life. It allows for a flexible schedule.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Too many hours
enjoyable and exciting
Nutrition Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Benito, TXNovember 29, 2017
Enjoyed advocating for people's health and nutrition. enjoyed teaching nutrition classes to clients. I enjoyed preparing nutritious recipes with clients.
Upbeat
Internship (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXNovember 7, 2017
Always work that needed to be completed. A learning environment for kids. A teachable aspect through daily camps and activities. Everyone was a team that helped get the job done
Fast paced environment with a variety of job duties
Administrative Associate II (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 28, 2017
Admin duties; worked with various computer programs; management knowledgeable; work culture similar to a large corporation; inventory can be tedious; connecting callers with Nutrition Educators.
Pros
paid time off
Cons
workstation not ergonmical
Excellent place to grow professionally
Better Living for Texans Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXAugust 18, 2017
Never boring. Everyday was a new adventure. Really professional environment. Great benefits and really flexible, I only left because I was presented with an opportunity to move to another state, but if it weren't for those circumstances, I would still be there.
Pros
variety in everything you do
Cons
working after five and weekends
Nice place to work
Programs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Canyon, TXAugust 4, 2017
I truly enjoyed my time there. Little top heavy with managers but everyone works very hard for the betterment of the community. If you like a solid place with a routine then this is a great place for you.
Fun place to work where you can make a difference in a community!
County Extension Agent (Former Employee) –  Corsicana, TexasJuly 24, 2017
You are managing programming for identified community needs. I learned to use my multi-tasking skills and enjoyed every moment of it. The job is very fun, but you can work many evenings. I had fun inspiring and teaching youth and adults, but hard to balance living in another town away from my family.
Pros
Positive place to make a difference
Cons
Hard to balance with a family - many nights and weekends thru the summer.
Productive and Rewarding
Extension Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  1517 W. Front St. Tyler, TX 75702July 21, 2017
This was the one of the most rewarding positions that I have every had. Because I am a breast cancer survivor, it gave me the opportunity to assist women who needed a breast or cervical exam at no cost to them because of their inability to pay due to no insurance or high deductible. I was able to follow the women who were diagnosed with either cervical or breast cancer. I was also able to provide transportation for ladies that did not have any to get to the venues to be screened. I could refer ladies to the mobile mammography van that was in their areas without them having to travel too far (if they lived in or around the areas that the mobile van traveled to. If I could not get them screened, I was able to refer them to other services that could get them screened.
Pros
able to assist people with breast and cervical screenings at no cost
Cons
working on a grant that would not be renewed
Rewarding Job
Nutrition Educator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 20, 2017
There is a lot of down time in this job during the summer time but during the school year there is always something to do. Teaching children, teens or adults about nutrition is very rewarding specially of you are passionate about nutrition. Everyone in the office is really nice and the atmosphere is relaxing. You have a lot of dependence and can spend a lot of time doing things individually.
Pros
very good benefits, get to do training in other cities, have a lot of independence, staff is nice
Cons
Lots of paper work, everything has to be justified, micromanaged to an extent, too much down time can be bad.
Good college job
Technician II (Former Employee) –  Bushland, TXJuly 5, 2017
They work around your schedule and have decent benefits if you can get on full-time. However, don't expect a career after graduation. This job prefers cheap student labor over skilled graduates.
Pros
Work around class times
Cons
Low pay and disorganization
educational
Horticulture Technician/Master Gardener (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXJune 12, 2017
Great place to work, learned a great deal. Fair employeer, made sure you had the tools and knowledge to do you job. Made sure that you had a safe and clean environment,
good place to work
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 2, 2017
culture is very kind, most of the management were people who worked their way up either through education or experience so they are understanding of the employees needs, the job sometimes had unfavorable working conditions as in the summer heat or winter chill,
Pros
people
Cons
drive
Productive but something stress
Nutrition Educator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 26, 2017
Recruit participants for the nutrition program.
Prepare the class are 8 sessions, each session of one hour and drive to the meeting place, take assistance, give the class, sometimes make 5 or 10 minutes of exercise and some classes there are food demostrations.
Pros
Satisfaction that people learn about nutrition calories portions of each food group.
Cons
Places with long distances, traffic and accidents.
Fun and hard work
Cotton hand (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXApril 2, 2017
Great CEO and management. Didn't have any problems with anybody that I worked with everybody was respectful and nice. Great place to work. A typical day at work was great.
Love this place!!
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Weslaco, TXMarch 21, 2017
Working with the Texas Agricultural Extension Service you learn so many new things dealing with food and how it is grown. It really makes you more aware of what it is you are eating.
Fantastic Volunteer Experience
Junior Master Gardener Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXMarch 5, 2017
Offered a wide variety of experience and work...one can work at your level of involvement. Mine was full time, nearly daily, I loved the work so much.
The hardest part of the job was the periods of time where there was no work needed...the work was missed, the people were missed.
Pros
Playing in the soil...working with bright young faces, eager to learn.
Cons
Volunteer work only....