Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Employee Reviews

Great Job
Animal Damage Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TX 78028August 20, 2018
This was my dream job. I had to leave only because of illness in the family demanded it. Great company with awesome benefits. The only and biggest complaint was the lack of training on the computer software I was required to use daily. The supervisor himself was not proficient, making it difficult for a new employee to learn the basics of their new job function.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Lack of formal training
Low pay and very little advancement
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Overton, TXJune 15, 2018
The requirements of the job are not hard but the pay isn't worth it. Employees are underappreciated and underpaid. The employee pool is very stagnant and the management is poor. The benefits are a major plus, full medical, dental, vision, life, and PTO accrual.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
management is poor
Clerical duties (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78217August 28, 2018
Great place to work. Typically a 40+ hour work week. Great people to work with in a face paced environment. Benefits are great such as medical, dental and sick leave.
excellent learning experience
Wildlife Damage Management Technician (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXJune 12, 2018
If you do not have a degree in wildlife biology then don't bother. you do get a a government vehicle to drive however it is only for work. the benifits are good, but dont expect to get rich.
Pros
cool job
Cons
pay stinks
Loved working with the people, not so much the boss.
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXMarch 23, 2018
I loved working with the volunteers, a couple of the coworkers, not so much the boss or the next boss up. No room for advancement, plenty of training available. Benefits were ok, lots of sick time available, paid holidays.
Very rewarding job
Nutrition Education Associate (Former Employee) –  San Benito, TXOctober 2, 2018
This company is very rewarding in the way that you are helping others better their life styles. I worked directly with children and improving their eating habits, I went home feeling great about myself knowing I am educating many children for their future.
Pros
Too much wear and tear on vehicles no form of insurance to help you with repairs or company vehicles
Cons
interaction with people and family environemt in the workplace with coworkers.
Great fun
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Benito, TXSeptember 21, 2018
Provide development programs for local communities, school, and churches throughout Cameron County. After-School programs, summer programs, and Adult Programs. Sewing and Jewelry and providing any type of programs that can enhance the lives of adults and children.
Pros
Working at different locations
Cons
More time for each event
A multitude of opportunities to learn and grow
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXMay 7, 2018
Fantastic boss, managment, and learning opportunities. This job took me all over the state for various research purposes I never knew from one day to the next what I would be doing or where. I learned more than I could ever put into words and had a plethora of work opportunites that I still value to this day. The hours could often be long but the coworkers and management were great and encouraging to learn as we worked.
Pros
Learning opportunities abundant
Cons
Hours often long
Great Experience as a Student Worker
Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXSeptember 19, 2018
With Graduation approaching it is time to move on to better things. I have enjoyed getting the hands on experience to help me in the job field I have been studying for the past four years.
Rewarding Job
Nutrition Educator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 20, 2017
There is a lot of down time in this job during the summer time but during the school year there is always something to do. Teaching children, teens or adults about nutrition is very rewarding specially of you are passionate about nutrition. Everyone in the office is really nice and the atmosphere is relaxing. You have a lot of dependence and can spend a lot of time doing things individually.
Pros
very good benefits, get to do training in other cities, have a lot of independence, staff is nice
Cons
Lots of paper work, everything has to be justified, micromanaged to an extent, too much down time can be bad.
Hardworking and productive workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 18, 2014
Depending on daily needs, I worked the field maintaining crops, equipment, irrigation systems, and gathering data as needed. I occasionally worked in greenhouse, planting and caring for plants. Most days would finish work at five, but from time to time I had to work late or weekends and holidays.

I learned how to maintain crops, farm and research equipment, and how to run and maintain irrigation systems. The work wasn't very difficult, it was just very tiring and time consuming; having good co-workers was a big help. The hardest part of the job was working out in the heat and making sure to keep myself and other workers hydrated.
Pros
Great benefits, job advancement opertunities
Excellent place to grow professionally
Better Living for Texans Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXAugust 18, 2017
Never boring. Everyday was a new adventure. Really professional environment. Great benefits and really flexible, I only left because I was presented with an opportunity to move to another state, but if it weren't for those circumstances, I would still be there.
Pros
variety in everything you do
Cons
working after five and weekends
Hard working place that had a lot to teach.
Student Worker/Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Bushland, TXSeptember 7, 2014
My job was usually a mix between field work and lab work. There was a period of a year where most of my work revolved around lab work. During this time I managed my own research project in sugar beet pathology. Field work included collecting data/samples for research and maintaining the current research crops. Lab work included various molecular protocols that involved DNA/RNA synthesis and PCR work. I enjoyed my co-workers and we had a great team of people that worked hard and always got our work done with quality and in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job was working in the field during the summer months under intense heat. The most enjoyable part was working in the lab.
Pros
Good people and experience
Cons
low pay no benefits
Great place to work.
Accounting Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Uvalde, TXApril 9, 2018
Fast paced, many interruptions. Account reconciliations, re-allocation of pro-card expenses, issued Purchase Orders, assist counties with account information or Contract and Grants, accounts payable, backup receptionist, assisted District Manager with Budget as needed throughout the month, assisted with upcoming meeting setup.

Learned several different types of software and operating system, learned to run the Postermaker machine and the many steps an accounts payable goes through before it is finally paid.

Hardest part of the job was not having requested information available to assist County Extension with questions regarding their Contracts and Grants.

Very enjoyable part of the job was listening to the District Manager's stories about her childhood during break time.
Pros
Great co-workers, very good pay, very diversified culture, several paid holidays, accrued annual leave, state retirement and insurance.
Cons
Very hard to assist some of the County personnel, lack of information for their Contract or Grant, considerable time was spent on obtaining information, many times their request was not how the Contract or Grant was set up initially by them.
Great workplace and co-workers.
Nutrition Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXJune 27, 2018
Been with the company for 5 years. Co-workers are great! Learned about basic nutrition and taught others with in Hale County meet wonderful people. Recieved award for best Community Service for my District.
Pros
Work with communities.
Cons
N/a
Good college job
Technician II (Former Employee) –  Bushland, TXJuly 5, 2017
They work around your schedule and have decent benefits if you can get on full-time. However, don't expect a career after graduation. This job prefers cheap student labor over skilled graduates.
Pros
Work around class times
Cons
Low pay and disorganization
Fun working enviroment
Intern/ Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Stephenville, TXMay 9, 2018
Even though I was an intern, I got to meet many researchers and learn a lot about agronomy. The environment is laid back and fun. A typical day was if I wasn't doing the landscaping, I was learning about different ants, spiders, peanuts, and different phosphorus levels affecting land.
Pros
laid back and fun
Cons
no holiday pay if an intern
Good place
Part Time Secretary (Current Employee) –  Rusk, TXJune 12, 2018
I enjoy my work here at the Extension office. I've learned a lot about farming, animals, environmental and community. The staff are open and welcoming as well as easy to work with.
Secure job
Senior Administrave Coordinator (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXMay 23, 2018
A good place to work. There are always a few people that are difficult, but overall, a great place to work. Many great people to work with and most are patient in the learning process.
Staff was never in the office
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXDecember 19, 2017
The tasks assigned were done in an efficient and effective manner. I was given the opportunity to restructure the filing management of county and state projects. The previous method was not efficient and effective for more than 12 projects. The immediate supervisor was the best anyone could ask for, however the top management did not have an overall grip on the ongoing issues in the office. Restricted to not being able to participate in most of the events.
Pros
Learned a great deal of information about the programs
Cons
Poor managment at the high level