Texas A&M AgriLife Extension

Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Employee Reviews

United States103 reviews
Great experience
I enjoyed my time with Texas Agrilife. I gained valuable knowledge about farming practices and research. The only draw back was the pay and lack of advancement.
First professional job
I worked in Agrilife for three years, of these years I meet many wonderful people. I was fortunate to have a boss that was very supportive and encouraged continuing education in what we were doing no matter what position level you were at. The staff entirely at the facility where I was at was kind and always with a friendly face. I learned so much while I was there and made many life long friends. The day I left was one of the saddest days. I left on my own account because family needed my help, which I couldn't do while I also worked.
Pros
You have many opportunities to learn.
Cons
Summer time was very hot to work outside.
Great Place
Managers are always willing to work with schedules and are really family oriented. There is always room for learning and moving within the company. People are nice to work with.
In office most days alone and workload varies in pace.
Agents are out the majority of the time working out in the field.
One must be self motivated to keep busy when work is slow and be on top of it when workload is heavy. It is important to meet project deadlines.

Willingness to help all sorts of groups is necessary when working in Extension.

The job is enjoyable.
Pros
You work alone most days
Cons
You work alone most days
Great coworkers and community peers, I loved interacting with each and every person that came thru the office. My job was fairly easy to accomplish and I learned so much about natural resources, planting and harvesting, gardening, trees and animals, which made it interesting to go to work each day.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
great educational arm of Texas A&M University
Agrilife Extension offers a stable work environment within the education climate for an agent to grow and share educational opportunities with the clientele.
Great company
I learned a great deal about equine reproduction and equine behavior. It is very hard work and the job must get done because there are animals relying on you to get fed and watered. It was very full filing working here.
Excellent place to establish a career
Professional development opportunities are numerous. Colleagues strive to meet goals in a professional manner. Latitude in daily workflow is high. There is occasional conflict among coworkers (not unusual with high achievers).
Wing banding and sorting chicks for market broiler shows
A typical day at work includes wing banding hundreds of baby chicks. Management is very easy to work with and understanding of your other commitments. This job only takes place once a week when birds are needing to be banded for major poultry shows. Nothing about the job is difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relaxed atmosphere and friendly coworkers.
Great people with flexible workload
I worked independently however had access to a fleet of state vehicles when needed. There are weekly set days for breaks where staff joins for socials and celebration. It was a very cohesive environment. Even though I worked on my own. Help was offered when needed by admin staff.
Pros
Friendly staff and work environment, pay, flexibility
Cons
Being a contractor
Not impressed
One agent was great the other was horrible...did not like the culture she brought to the company. That’s really all I want to say about my time there.
Pros
Working with the 4-H kids
Cons
Pay/1 agent
Excellent, rewarding environment where I actually was able to help peoplr.
I started as a contract instructor at a minimum security prison, but after federal funding for the program ended I was allowed to move to and extension office where I was able to daily help people with their landscape/horticultural problems and gained a large amount of insight on the actual horticultural needs of the people in the county where I worked. and was able to answer their questions about their problems concerns. I would go back to that teaching/informing environment in a minute if allowed.
Pros
Freedom to interact with the public and answer their questions and provide solutions.
Cons
Not enough time doing the above.
Flexible and fun but pay could improve
Work is flexible and fun with decent amount of control over focal area. Acceptable compensation for a career in education; however, salary can become lower than amount of energy required. Political involvement with elected county officials is tiresome. Overall, I still really enjoy what I do each day.
Pros
Flexible schedule and programming
Cons
Retirement through TRS, pay
It was a productive place to work in and I am grateful for the experience. Much manual labor was involved. Majority of time was spent in fields or in greenhouses.
The job it's self is very rewarding
The job is very rewarding. You get to meet individuals of all backgrounds.it is a great amount of work. You will defiantly get the experience needed to pursue other job interest.
The workplace culture is the pits. There is limited earning potential and opportunities to advance. You are promoted/valued based on the time you've served, not the work you've accomplished. That said, they are more progressive than they outwardly appear. Benefits, time off, training opportunities, resources, etc. are great!
Pros
Benefits, Leave, Management
Cons
State owned buildings, workplace culture
Friendly, flexible, good work ethic.Good opportunities for collaboration and teamwork. Great creativity and initiative among all the staff. Everyone is very dedicated and work for the greater good while serving the community.
Great job
This being my first job made me learn many life lessons. It was a great environment working at that office and the team was great and very helpful in anything that i needed.
Very rewarding job
This company is very rewarding in the way that you are helping others better their life styles. I worked directly with children and improving their eating habits, I went home feeling great about myself knowing I am educating many children for their future.
Pros
Too much wear and tear on vehicles no form of insurance to help you with repairs or company vehicles
Cons
interaction with people and family environemt in the workplace with coworkers.
Good experience
This was a good job for experience in a scientific area. It required some travel to other extension facilities in the state for field science data. I learned a lot and had good leaders who were at the doctorate level.
Great fun
Provide development programs for local communities, school, and churches throughout Cameron County. After-School programs, summer programs, and Adult Programs. Sewing and Jewelry and providing any type of programs that can enhance the lives of adults and children.
Pros
Working at different locations
Cons
More time for each event
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas A&M AgriLife Extension. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2