Texas Campaign for the Environment Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Amazing culture with solid oppertunities
Community Organizer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 13, 2017
I went in for an observation day in June of last year. I decided that the job was't for me after about a week. The staff is fun, progressive, and very politically educated. Canvassing is not for me, but if you want to sweat for justice while boosting your resume, meeting cool people, and being constantly encouraged and accepted, apply here. The most enjoyable thing about canvassing is learning to reject preconceived notions. So many people who I talked to at the door (in just one week) did not look like the kind of people who wanted to help protect our environment, but they did. They cared, they donated, and most importantly, they wanted to help this noble cause to save our world.
Pros
culture, people, atmosphere
Cons
weird hours, sometimes we got off at 10:15-10:30
Used & played.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 8, 2016
The interview was extremely easy. This is quota based. Your first day is just free labor, "observation day" your in a neighborhood you don't know in a different city every week(around your metroplex). You will be out there when the sun isn't shining sometimes. You will get the cops called on you sometimes & a lot is forced on you all at once. Ask every question possible before you start this. This wasn't for me
Pros
Nice cause, resume boost, exercise
Cons
No breaks, unclear, no uniform, door to door, quota
Do not apply
canvasser (Former Employee) –  dallas texasOctober 7, 2014
they get you in and never tell you that its all quota based. i quit my job and went to work for them just to find out that since i missed the quota the first week i would be let go but i was never told about this at the interview. plus its unsafe you have to and dogs almost bit me two times. also you are forced to be outside way past sunset,
Pros
looks good on resume
Cons
everything
Empowering, Rewarding, and Fun!
Office Manager and Senior Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 12, 2014
I came in to the organization as an activist, and the job allowed me to continue to grow in my activism and make an impact in my community. It was surprising to learn how many people in Texas actually care about the environment and want to help make a difference. Management is very clear about what they expect from you and help you reach those requirements. The training was really extensive and helpful. My co-workers are some of the best people I've ever met and became life-long friends.

The hardest part of the job is meeting people who don't have time to help the campaign at the moment and having the discipline to move past them and focus on finding people who do want to get involved right now. It is possible, however.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the results of all your hard work when you get to lobby elected officials and win campaigns.
Passionate environmentalists - fun atmosphere
Staff Director (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 9, 2014
TCE is hiring for entry-level community organizers to join their campaign staff. The hours are 2 - 10pm M - F. The canvassing itself is from 4 - 9pm. Canvassing is going door to door to educate the public on environmental issues and getting them involved (registering people to vote, having people write letters to policy makers, & doing a membership fundraiser).
The people that work at the organization are fantastic! I love coming to work every day with people that care about the future of our world.
Canvassing, however, is not for everyone. But its definitely for me. I love being outdoors and talking to people and I don't mind when people are not interested in the issues - I'm here to win campaigns, not argue with people.
Pros
fun atmosphere, empowering environment, supportive staff
Cons
you must be self accountable, which is frustrating for some people. canvassing is not easy, but it is worth it!
Horrible Experience
Entyr level (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 6, 2014
I had a horrible time. You will fell like it was one of the easiest interviews you ever did for a reason. They get your free labor because "observation day" is code for raise us money on your 1st day or we'll fire you. Your education is useless and you'll feel the same way too.

Walk around unfamiliar neighborhoods (at night) alone, safety not guaranteed
Bothering people while they are home resting
Doors slammed in your face, told to go away, dogs barked
Walk miles without access to bathroom nor food/water (4pm-10pm)
Long hours 2pm-10pm
Paid at minimum wage unless you meet a quota
Pros
Cons
Dishonest interview
Great Place
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  housotnJanuary 16, 2013
These are outstanding people poised to change the world for the better.