Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Employee Reviews

Lots of learning opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 13, 2019
I was given multiple venues of learning new skills and updating the skills I already have. I really got to know my coworkers and manager both with the daily work and the monthly staff meetings.
If upper management doesn't like you, you don't stand a chance.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 26, 2019
The work was satisfying, even thought there was a back log of entries that needed to be submitted. There wasn't a specific guideline to follow and the details were different for every account.
It was alright
Cashier I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 5, 2019
On a contract with UT-Arlington. Very flexible with hours, and was a chill environment. My supervisor was very nice and helpful. Lack of funding led to me getting laid off.
Terrible management, supporting Texas business is the focus, not sustaining the environment
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2019
Avoid working here. The management is abusive and the pay is terrible. The TCEQ mission supports business first and is not truly an environmentally conscious agency.
A lot of good people to work with
Customer Support Center Section Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 20, 2019
Has it's ups and downs depending on how upper management gets replaced with new management. Overall I enjoyed working here and able to move up through the ranks.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
To Political
Interesting Place
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 4, 2019
Enjoyed working with the team in legal at TCEQ. It was a team effort and each day was something new. The attorney's were great and the employees were helpful. Management worked with everyone to make sure the department ran smoothly and efficiently.
TCEQ is a great state agency to work at.
Purchaser IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 14, 2019
Outstanding job with great benefits. They really care about your personal life and accommodate for your needs. TCEQ has an on-site gym and promotes healthy living with basketball, horseshoes, volleyball, running trails and many classes. And on-site food options.
Pros
Onsite exercise activities!
Great co-workers but poor and difficult management.
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 31, 2019
When I initially went to work at the TCEQ, the workplace culture was fun and the management always helpful. With upper management changes, the work environment did a complete turn-around and the work was no longer enjoyable and extremely stressful. Poor upper management created numerous issues and high levels of tension. This resulted in high employee turnover.
Pros
Decent benefits.
Cons
Little upward mobility for administrative staff.
Good place to work if in right section
Lead Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 24, 2019
This organization has all types of jobs from computer professional, to lawyers, to scientists. That is a huge strength. However, there are many reorganizations and you never know if you fit in with new management.
Aquatic Scientist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 16, 2019
40 hours a week with limted training opportunities and low pay. Allows flexibility for me to take time to coach my kids sport teams. However, employee treatment is a major issue.
TCEQ Contractor
Natural Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 11, 2019
Nice place to gain experience. Management is helpful and knowledgeable. Easy to move up or grow within different positions and areas within TCEQ. Good work/life balance.
AMazing Place
Administrative Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 19, 2018
People are amazing, the building is amazing. I dont have anything bad to say. People are very welcoming, and caring they all come together as a tight knit group.
Depends on where you work
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 29, 2018
I've had both good an bad management at TCEQ. The luck of the draw is where you fall. My current management is corrupt. They are doing very illegal, unethical things, but upper management is allowing it. While the benefits and time off at the agency are great, it again depends on which department you land in. Some departments are terrible about letting employees use their annual or sick leave, while other areas are fine with staff taking time off work. The environment is business casual, but there is not always a sense of team. Often there is a fear of retaliation if staff disagrees with management, or makes a complaint. And managers are quick to throw employees under the bus for their (manager's) mistakes. Raises are small, and non existent if your manager doesn't like you. Regardless of how good an employee you are, if managers don't like you they will not give you promotions, raises, or help you along in your career. You must be very careful which department you get in with.
Administrative Technician I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 2, 2018
Workplace culture is healthy. Management is fair. I have learned lot of new training and most best things. My typical work day was protective and useful.
Tceq
Hardware Deployment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 29, 2018
I worked at TCEQ as a contractor. If I could have stayed I would have. The job paid well, had good hours, and nice people to work with. The work was challenging without being overly difficult.
Because I care about the environment....
investigator (Current Employee) –  texasSeptember 11, 2018
Intense days, learned to relate with people, the current manager is weak, Culture is weak. some managers won't listen to their staff. Love helping ppl
Pros
Important role regading the States environmental laws.
Cons
Good old Boy, Favoritism, pay increase for managers and new employees, nothing for senior staff, one-time merits(bonus) if they don't like you but have to give you something, while others get full merits.
I love it!
License & Permit Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 26, 2018
I love the benefits and culture at TCEQ! It's a diverse workplace, with lots of activities for employees to participate in. There are opportunities for advancement and many different areas to work in the agency.
Great starting job
Marketing And Social Media Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 20, 2018
I started at TCEQ when I graduated and began as an intern. I had a great opportunity to move into a permanent position. The intern program was great.,
Career and Self-esteem destroying
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 15, 2018
The Houston Regional Office management harbors an extremely unhealthy environment that I have never witnessed before in the 20 previous years I served in government relations working in the state prison/jail system. I was hired with 3 other Admin Assistant, to make a total of 4 admins hired at the same time. When I began work, I soon learned that the 4 previous admin assistants all just walked out and quit because they had enough. We started with limited training because there was no one there with experience to train us. This place is filled with Divas, with the asst who serves the director, who actually dresses and looks like a streetwalker. If you do not fit in with their culture, you will become part of the multitude of people who are walked out daily. I have never witnessed anything like this in my career.
Pros
Benefits if you qualify and can get past the 6 month period.
Cons
Don't know what type of person can get past the 6 month period. Brown nose? suck up?
Great Enviroment
Administrative Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2018
The managers and employees were great to work with. I had a great time working with the organization and would recommend the job to anyone that is looking.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. Our community is ready to answer.