Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Employee Reviews

Flexible Hours
Licensing Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 30, 2019
Love the flexibility that my division offers. Cafeteria onsite, my division is not micro managed, diverse culture, high-paced work environment, but overtime encouraged to stay on top of workload,
fast paced sometimes stressful working environment
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 23, 2019
Work at the department ranged from the mundane of data entry, filing, record keeping to high stress fast paced call center like environment. for hard driving individuals this is an opportunity to learn to deal with people and improve interpersonal relationship skills and gain a thorough understanding the public sector and regulatory environment.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the day to day stress of managing customer employees conflict. The most enjoyable part was the sense of job completion at the end of the day.
Pros
Job security. Standard set of benefits.
Cons
Beaurocratic organization. Low innovation.
Horrible place to work!!!!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 20, 2018
The only good thing about this job is it's M-F 8 to 5. Vacation/Holidays ok, but pay SUCKS! No room for advancement unless management likes you. Pay raises don't exist. They treat the front line workers like step children. Equipment is always breaking down. Managment sucks and they are incompetent. Pay is once a month and you are forced you to contribute almost 10% of your monthly salary for retirement. The pay listed on Indeed is so inaccurate. After all the deductions your pay is close to $15.00 an hour. You can probably make more $$ at In and Out Burger.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Pay, promotions, advancements
I was proud of working for a state agency
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78247September 6, 2018
While I was proud to work for the state there were some draw backs such as: customers blame you for the policies they must follow; the monies given to the agency didn't seem to be distributed equally from HQ to the Regional Offices.
Pros
Benefits such as health insurance for self was paid for
Cons
Constant changes with policies
Work was stressful, due to poor management
License plate Clerk (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 23, 2018
I liked my job there, but the management were not very nice at the time of my employment. The hardest part of my job was dealing with criticism from management and the most enjoyable part was working with vendors and customers.
fun place to work at
pilot (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 10, 2018
I wish I had never left it was a great place to work at. the work environment was great and the administration really care about the staff that work there. the only thing I would change is there should be a career ladder
productive place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 3, 2018
Great place to work for career oriented place to work. Must be able to adapt to change on a regular basis. But has good benefits and retirement, I look forward to working for the state again.
Pros
benifits
Cons
monthly pay
Collaborative and Supportive Environment
Office of Administrative Hearings (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2018
My co-workers were very collaborative and supportive of me. They were very eager to answer questions and help out in any way they could. My supervisors were both very nice gentlemen and explained things very clearly to me and took the time to answer any questions I may have had.
This place sux
Desktop support specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 17, 2017
Unfit Micro managers. No raise in years. Hiring freezes, empty positions, low moral. I have one more year and I will retire. Good luck to 'em. Brain drain.
Pros
nice cafeteria
Cons
too many to mention
Customer Service Representative III
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 12, 2017
Excellent work environment and people. Provides complex customer support for the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV), Consumer Relations Division.
Responds to public and stakeholder inquiries for information, and state services as a team member in a “One Touch”
contact center environment.
Productive workplace environment
VTR Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  4000 Jackson AvenueNovember 8, 2017
A typical day at work was busy with lots of work duties to accomplish. I learned how to prioritize to ensure all activities were completed each day. My manager was an excellent mentor and role model. I learned how to work independently and as a member of a team. The most challenging aspect of my job was speaking with unhappy customers. The most enjoyable job I had was training employees on work processes.
Pros
Stable work environment with good benefits.
Interesting and fast paced
Support Services Section Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 6, 2017
Great place to work. Employee culture is amazing. The hardest part of the job is staying on top of the fast pace of initiatives. Supervise the Service Desk section, QA and Test team, Technical Writers, Data Analyst and Change/Release Management
Pros
Plenty of holiday, vacation and sick leave
Cons
A lot of comp time
Hostile Environment
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 26, 2017
The environment is very dated. Processing procedures are at least 30 years behind. Workload is continual paper processing. Management is completely discounted from employees. When attempting to add value, workload is increase to silence employee. There are people in place who lack leadership and people schools.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Dated environment
Great Place to work and Help the Public
Sr. Field Service Tech Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 29, 2017
Great Place to work, very well kept and helpful management. Ready to help the public with all issues related to Plates and Tags for Cars, Trucks and boats.
Reactive not proactive
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2017
Agency still operates as a start-up, nothing is proactive always reactive. Management doesn't trust their employees and it shows.

Not a good place for advancement, top-down management.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Management & Salaries
Great place to work Super Management
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 7, 2017
Great culture, smart people working there, fun place to work, busy also, hardest part of job was only when we had changes to deal with because of State changes.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Good place to work, depending on your manager
Program Supervisor V/Monthly Salary (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78731April 20, 2017
Good place to work, not much room for advancement in current position - if you want more money, you have to apply for other jobs. Some managers leave a lot to be desired.
It is ok
PROGRAM SPECIALIST IV (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 11, 2017
Good benefits, good hours, good time off. Management is horrible and very political. If you are not a friend then they will find a way to get rid of you
Great environment
Special Project Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 31, 2017
Everyone is an amazing person and they love to help one another out whenever they can. Although production is somewhat slow compared to other agencies, definitely a good place to grow.
The state is a good agency to work for
Service Desk Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 23, 2015
I started out on a typewriter, advance to computer and other technical options in vehicles titles and registration. I have done 30 years, it is about time for me to explore other options.