Texas Department of Motor Vehicles

Working at Texas Department of Motor Vehicles: 43 Reviews

United States43 reviews

Understaffed, high volume work load

Management does not maintain adequate staffing for the high volume of duties, tasks, workload. Rio Grande Valley regional office is often overlooked by Austin management in respect to adequate staffing and wages.

Pros

Paid time off, holidays, sick leave, pension

Cons

Understaffed, high volume workload

The people in my office are a great team of people to work with

i have no review for now because I feel there is room for growth with me but more importantly with upper management. other than that, i really don't have much to say

Pros

It a great State job and i feel there is room for growth

Cons

No yearly pay increase

It’s okay

Benefits are great, they pay your health 100%. They offer a lot of health incentives. Time off when you need it if you’ve got the hours. Office management didn’t know what they’re doing and play favorites. Their whole job is to COORDINATE the office and they couldn’t even have the right amount of people out the lunch to keep the office staffed correctly. Would go out to lunch with their best friend and give them preferencial treatment. Pay is not good at all and they have a high turn over for CS reps. Tons of work with the public for peanuts, basically. Not much room for advancement and raises are few and far in between.

Pros

Paid self health insurance

Cons

No breaks, bad management, low low pay, favoritism, very bad office culture

A dynamic but dysfunctional state agency

This is still a young agency so there is a lot of energy and is focused on modernizing. It probably has the most innovative solutions to help its customers so it’s great if you like change often. The focus on innovation can be problematic as management is more focused on the new shiny ball and how innovative they are than making sure things are done right and can be sustained.

Pros

Telecommuting, free healthcare, state benefits

Cons

Demanding, lower pay, high expectations

A great customer service job!

I worked at the Texas Dept of Motor Vehicles as a customer service rep and really enjoyed it! The Management is AWESOME - very kind and always willing to work with you. Good training and pay.

No room for advancement/promotion.

Dealing with the public everyday is something I enjoy, however most of the employees have been there over 10 years and get frustrated with the public very easily. That’s something I did not like or agree with. It’s a very small office and the staff is overwhelmed with other back office work so they don’t give the customer their full attention. It seemed very disorganized too. The management team was personally great but also overworked and very busy. The job is very repetitive and not very challenging, but the biggest thing is that there is no room for advancement. There’s no other positions besides team leads and the 2 team leads there are going to be there for awhile.

Pros

Flexible/personable management

Cons

No room for growth.

Stressful lousy

The management is extremely unhelpful with obvious favoritism. Got to be a friend of someone to get ahead. Low morale. TPM is an anonymous joke. Don’t do a good job of letting you know what you are getting into.

Benefits

Cons

No advancement bad management micromanaged

Toxic work environment in IT

This was, by far, the worst job of my career (20 + highly successful years in IT in many different roles) Most problems involved one really bad boss (and that boss's manager who did not address what were obvious and well know problems). There was a lot of turnover, and the some of the best, most professional people left. This was in IT department. The upper manager bailed to go to a different state agency without fixing the problem.

Pros

Generally great people to work with.

Cons

One very bad IT Manager that talks a good game but could not lead causing chaos all over.

Resolution and change is slow

Goals and plans are discussed and decided upon. Then goals and plans are discussed again, then put on hold. Goals are changed and then discussed again with no resolution. Everyone affected, including the customer is left in limbo with no resolution.

I enjoyed my tenure with the agency, and especially in the last year, as I got a new supervisor who was very supportive.

good - following laws/policies, good benefits (they've hence changed), immediate supervisors; in my Beaumont Regional Service Center (RSC) office, I had a good team, which I was fortunate to work with bad - HQ doesn't quite have a grasp on the fact that those of us in the field, need to put our customers first, as they don't work with the public. (ie...requiring/scheduling meetings, trainings,..at inconvenient times for the offices); no career ladder (several years ago, the RSC managers began working on this; however, HQ dismissed it)

If you are working in IT, do not work here.

IT is a verifiable mess. The IT Applications Support is run horribly. IT Operations is a close second. There are no promotions in IT. There are toxic managers, directors that don't care and regarding female managers, they love stepping over everyone. One manager/director has chased off three of her supervisors that directly reported to her. Other leadership are looked down upon and are not appreciated/ nor recognized. The good leaders get chased off. The best you can do is do your job and keep your head down.

Pros

Very little.

Cons

Working through lunch, poor leadership, poor direction, wrong people are punished, wrong people kept around.

Micromanaged, unfair and unpleasant work environment

The work itself is incredibly interesting and easy if you pay attention and read, it is the management that makes this job unpleasant. Customers were said to be unpleasant and irate, however, when you engage with customers in a friendly manner that is frowned upon. Upper management would rather you be rude and disengage with customers so that you may “focus on the task” rather than do your job in a friendly way. Also, dress code restrictions only seem to apply to newer employees. A new employee will get reprimanded for a dress code violation sometimes right in front of a veteran employee wearing the same attire, etc. The hardest part of the job will be pleasing your managers and hoping they like you, the actual paperwork itself and customer service is easy enough.

Pros

Good hours, decent pay

Cons

Short breaks, gossiping between management and veteran staff about new hires, micromanagement

ok

oh place to work. Good work life balance. the pay is above average. management is what it is. there is plenty of job security. the job culture is what it is. Like any state job if you dont like where you work you can always apply to another state job

Fast paced very customer oriented

No slacking very stressful no overtime and very little advancement You stay in your seat the whole 8 hours very little interaction with employees but 100% interaction with the public

This wa my first government position and I had a learning curve with the culture. I was in a teach/learning environment. It was professional and I lot

Designing electronic forms was more structured in Adobe Essentials. The ADA compliant assistive technology was both challenging and exciting. The commute was the biggest negative. We moved once my husband retired.

Flexible Hours

Love the flexibility that my division offers. Cafeteria onsite, my division is not micro managed, diverse culture, high-paced work environment, but overtime encouraged to stay on top of workload,

fast paced sometimes stressful working environment

Work at the department ranged from the mundane of data entry, filing, record keeping to high stress fast paced call center like environment. for hard driving individuals this is an opportunity to learn to deal with people and improve interpersonal relationship skills and gain a thorough understanding the public sector and regulatory environment. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the day to day stress of managing customer employees conflict. The most enjoyable part was the sense of job completion at the end of the day.

Pros

Job security. Standard set of benefits.

Cons

Beaurocratic organization. Low innovation.

I was proud of working for a state agency

While I was proud to work for the state there were some draw backs such as: customers blame you for the policies they must follow; the monies given to the agency didn't seem to be distributed equally from HQ to the Regional Offices.

Pros

Benefits such as health insurance for self was paid for

Cons

Constant changes with policies

Work was stressful, due to poor management

I liked my job there, but the management were not very nice at the time of my employment. The hardest part of my job was dealing with criticism from management and the most enjoyable part was working with vendors and customers.

fun place to work at

I wish I had never left it was a great place to work at. the work environment was great and the administration really care about the staff that work there. the only thing I would change is there should be a career ladder

productive place to work

Great place to work for career oriented place to work. Must be able to adapt to change on a regular basis. But has good benefits and retirement, I look forward to working for the state again.

Pros

benifits

Cons

monthly pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits