Texas Department of Public Safety Employee Reviews

Good ol' Boy Agency
Staff Services Officer II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 17, 2018
Good ol' Boy environment, you can only promote or go anywhere in the agency if you know someone in a high position and management treat employees horribly, they have a huge superiority complex.
Benefits
Cons
Process for issuance of state documents
Customer Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 9, 2018
Truly a learning experience dealing with the diverse public. Gaining knowledge of the Immigration procedures and documents needed for issuing state governed documents.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
No protection or partition from the public
So-So
Customer Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2018
It’s great for someone who like stability. If you get in a position and don’t mind staying in the same position 20 years this is the job for you. However, if you’d like to advance it’s difficult. It’s not what you know it’s WHO you know with this company. To get a decent paying position you have to wait on someone to retire or die. A lot of nepotism going on. So many ppl that don’t even qualify. Management is ok , no need to complain. Nothing will change. My suggestions would be to hire based on qualifications, find better workers with better personalities and that actually want to work. Management get their heads out the clouds and see that things need to be changed.
Pros
1 hr lunch, 8-5 schedule, weekends off ...
Cons
Pay, advancement opportunities
Relaxed environment; work at my own pace with minimal supervision
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, TXJuly 2, 2018
It's a fantastic place to work. I love my coworkers and the job is wonderful. The environment and people I work with are amazing. My boss is the best.
Pros
Minimal Supervision
Cons
Not enought pay and no chance for advancement
Too stressful and the Driver License Div is rude to the public
Driver License Examiner (Former Employee) –  Uvalde, TXJuly 1, 2018
On a daily basis I issued driver license, identification cards, administer all written and driving tests to include CDL, Motorcycle endorsements, school bus. If someone in the office had a warrant for their arrest, we handed them over to local law enforcement. Cash handling, I drove to Crystal City one day a week to administer driving tests and give support to the Admin assistant.
Pros
No Overtime
Cons
Rude to the public
Fast paced, detail oriented
Driver License Examiner (Former Employee) –  Decatur, TXJune 25, 2018
The office I worked out of needed some internal guidance and structure. Several years after my leaving, I was told the necessary changes had taken place making location more efficient and time productive.
Pros
Good benefit package
Cons
Lack of work ethic in some coworkers
Love it
Investigative Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 25, 2018
I would recommend DPS to my family and friends. It's a nice place to work and the employees are very friendly. I loved working here and plan to retire.
Terrorism Prep Unit Sup
Terrorism Preparedness Unit Sup (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78773June 21, 2018
I coordinated with city, county, regional and state agencies throughout the State of Texas on developing terrorism-related training and exercises from 2002 until 2009, recruiting, and coordinating with the Texas Engineering Extension Services, National Response and Rescue Training Center to meet FEMA Consequence Management of Terrorism Grant program requirements. During my 7 yrs I assisted, coordinated and brought over 500 exercises ranging from Tabletop, Functional, and Full-scale and well in excess of 1,000 free training courses throughout the State of Texas. Almost every city, county, regional and/or state agency participated in one or more of my terrorism exercises. In the later years I ultimately ended up being the person to coordinate on state-wide functional and full-scale hurricane exercises. My average day consisted of calling local, and/or regional emergency management offices or agencies to offer them the opportunity of participating in one of my exercises and in return we would provide them multiple classes for their first responders that they then would apply their learned skills during these exercises. I communicated with emergency management, public health, law enforcement, fire departments, mayors, judges and regional councils of government. There wasn't a single local, regional or state office or agencies that I did not and one time or another in 7 years speak to meet or get them involved in either my terrorism or hurricane exercises.
Pros
Senior leadership support, a couple of great supervisors
Cons
Activation during emergencies, public humiliation by senior leadership, low state pay with not raises over 11yrs, only way to get a raise was change jobs.
bureaucratic and unorganized
Senior Quality Assurance Analyst (Consulting) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 16, 2018
bureaucratic and unorganized, uncertainty surrounding projects at all time, lack of resources to perform job effectively, no visionary leadership to enhance future projects...
Not much to say
Research Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 24, 2018
I really do not have much to say on this department and would rather keep any comments to myself. I will repeat myself again. I have nothing to say about this department at this time and would rather keep my thoughts to myself.
Still has the best benefits package
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 24, 2018
You will not get rich at TXPDPS, but you will have job security and a great retirement package. Make sure that you have a separate retirement account to add to the package. A 401K plan is offered, and highly recommended to use. Look for other retirement options as well. Not because of DPS, but because you will need it. Family oriented all the way. Be stingy with the time that you earn. Lots of State Holidays to use for time off. Save the accrued vacation and sick time for emergencies. It's an office job like any other. Diversified group of people and education levels. Overall a good work environment. Make of it what you will. Your mileage may vary.
Pros
Great benefits, State Holidays, Accrued Vacation and Sick Leave
Cons
Pay scale is what it is.
Great opportunity to serve
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2018
Pleasant working conditions
Fast paced
Cross training
Friendly co workers
Supervisor support
Job Security
Numerous opportunities to advance or transfer to other positions
Life long commitment
Special Agent/Criminal Investigator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2018
There have been many changes in the 20 years i have worked for this department. Some of the changes have been good, some have had growing pains. Change of leadership always has growing pains.
Respectful
Commercial Vehicle Investigator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 19, 2018
It was an amazing place to work. Everyone from my manager to the troopers were respectful and willing to help when needed. The only downfall I had was the pay at the time and had to relocate for a better paying job.
Place to meet people.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 13, 2018
It was a pleasure to gather confidential and legal information for the issuance of driver licenses and identification cards. I especially enjoyed checking, proof reading and editing information for this service. The hardest part was getting customers to understand that certain documents are needed, while other documents weren't accepted.
Important mission, low pay
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 12, 2018
I enjoyed working at the DPS but for the work done, pay is extremely low. The paycheck is stable, other benefits are decent, but the only way to increase your salary is to apply for different positions within the company. It is a good job for people who value the mission, desire a stable paycheck (although low paying) and enjoy working as a public servant.
Pros
secure paycheck, important mission
Cons
low pay, limited promotion opportunities
State Job
Customer Service Representative Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMay 10, 2018
A very typical state job. Working directly with the public to provide a vital service. A very fast paced environment in which you help a great deal of people from all walks of life. It was a great first work experience, however management was sub-par.
needs happy day
Programmer V (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 8, 2018
Employees work on their own project. No team work. The disadvantage is that there is no way to let team members learning each other on technique, know each other.
Dps - quality
TEXAS STATE TROOPER (Former Employee) –  Pierce, TXMay 7, 2018
Too stressful, too many deaths to witness in my career
How to deal with very stressful situations and people
Management was always willing to work with employees
Stressful work environment -no work to life balance
Program Supervisor III (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXApril 29, 2018
It is stressful and disorganized, senior management is unsupportive-no mentorship opportunities available or offered. The social environment is cut-throat and competitive.
Pros
reliable steady income
Cons
stressful