Texas Department of Public Safety Employee Reviews

Job security but at what cost
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 19, 2019
Sure, you can work for the state and never get fired, but you will be severely overworked and underpaid. There's little to no recognition and those that work the minimum get treated the same way as those that go above and beyond.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Culture, Benefits, Lack of Recognition
Good For Security
SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 27, 2018
You will work holidays and weekends but you get to bank that time (sometimes and time and a half) to take off when it suits you. The state benefits are good and there is job security. Work in this position if you are a college student who will move on to other things, or someone not in the ambitious, career ladder climbing stage of your life so that you can be content with your job.
Pros
benefits and flexible days off
Cons
working holidays and weekends
Research Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 6, 2018
Assist agents within the Department of Public Safety with various caseload providing detailed analytical information. I learned various degrees of law enforcement and how the laws affect the community we serve. The management was top of the line. I enjoyed my time at this organization in this unit. The most difficult part was working homicide cases and testifying in court.
Pros
Cons
Limited advancement
Great Job
CSR III Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Gilmer, TXNovember 29, 2018
If you are looking to work excellent hours in a high stress, fast paced environment, then this is the job for you.
I only left because we transferred to an area that was not environmentally friendly to my health and we had to return. There were no available transfer opportunities so I had to resign. But if given the chance, I would return immediately.
The benefit package is excellent and the pay should be a little more competitive considering the stress involved with the positions.
You must be able to diffuse situations quickly and calmly.
I enjoyed working for the public very much even in the worst possible situations. Helping others is truly rewarding.
Benefits
Cons
Payscale
Learning experience
Data Entry Operator II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 20, 2018
Would like to have better pay but is overall a great place to work, I have lasting friendships. I enjoy coming in to see my co workers and helping out
Pros
good benefits
Cons
parking
no advancement and poorly managed.
security officer III (Current Employee) –  Taylor, TXNovember 7, 2018
you're stuck at the same pay once you get hired. Management at the higher end make decisions about things they don't know that compromise your job performance.
Stressful; but amazing career
Sergeant, Criminal Intelligence Service (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXNovember 2, 2018
This is a job with amazing opportunities. You will see and do things the average person only hears about on the news. The pay is not "awesome", but it is good. The relationship with other Troopers is a brotherhood...one that lasts a lifetime.
A fast paced workplace.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXOctober 11, 2018
A typical day at the DPS was packed with people and fast paced. Every DPS office becomes overcrowded during certain hours, and all employees are required to assist the customers as quickly and efficiently as possible. I learned a lot about state policies, homeland security policies, and how to communicate essential information to customers who struggled to understand government requirements for IDs and Licenses.
Pros
Paid Vacation, worked with my school schedule for the most part.
good carreer
DOT Officer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 5, 2018
Was a great place to work, a good family to be around. Learned a lot about DOT and FMCSA. Learned all Texas State laws. enjoyed working there everyday.
Pros
Enjoyed the career and bennifits
Cons
Sometimes long days, law enforcement.
Tx dps
Fleet Parts Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 1, 2018
Assisted other Bureaus within the agency in obtaining parts for vehicles, worked with vendors for necessary purchasing. Work as a team within my unit in order to help other areas of the department. Assisted in purchasing material for troopers and mechanics for the Hurricane Harvey disaster.

Want to know more about Texas Department of Public Safety?

Ask a question
Excellent benefits and job security
Driver License (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Good Department to work for and friendly atmosphere
Good health benefits
Upgrade in pay
Advancement in others departments
Paid vacations
Awesome paid holidays
Pros
Paid health benefits for employees
Cons
None I can think of
Working with the Texas Department of Public Safety is like working with one large family.
Special Agent, Gang Investigator (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 14, 2018
I've spent the last 25 years with the Texas Department of Public Safety. I can truly say this has been a life changing experience. The opportunities and the training is second to none. Texas DPS is one of the premier law enforcement agencies in the Country. Second to none
Pros
Family Like atmosphere anywhere in the State
Cons
Getting paid once a monthy
Challenging mission
State Trooper (Former Employee) –  Burnet, TXSeptember 11, 2018
This agency is a good one to work for. I liked having state wide jurisdiction and meeting many people each day on traffic stops. I worked with some very good co workers.
Compliance Review Investigator
Compliance Review Program Investigator (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 29, 2018
Working for the State of Texas was an awesome opportunity. Incredible benefits for a full time employee. Very affordable insurance for families with large families.
Great job.
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 27, 2018
Great career. Chances for promotion. Great management team. Chance to build sick leave and vacation time. Great retirement plan. Stressful at times but, worth it.
Benefits
Cons
Pay increases
Professional development
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 24, 2018
The agency has a good program to develop leaders. The course is has basic through strategic level development courses that assist employees. The leadership course also provides opportunities to build rapport with other divisions.
Stressful low paying job
Customer Service Representative IV (Current Employee) –  HoustonAugust 22, 2018
Upper management always talks about employees having integrity but they lack the very attribute they require. Promoting within the department is difficult at best, more times than not people are only promoted if they’re liked by certain upper level supervisors and Managers. Believe me when I tell you blacklists do exist here and please don’t make the mistake of crossing someone in Management, because if you do it won’t matter how well you do your job or how knowledgeable you are, if it’s the wrong person they will make sure you’ll have a difficult time or never promote if you wanted to. This would be a great place to work if the employees were valued more and the pay was competitive with other jobs in private sector. This job should definitely have hazardous pay and better management.
Pros
Vacation time is adequate, especially since you earn more days off when you work that mandatory overtime
Cons
Wages are horrible and uncompetitive. Upper Management is unprofessional and petty
It's a job..
CSR - Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2018
The Department is not bad it's what you make it, if your sensitive or wear your emotions on your sleeve this isn't the job for you, The Most mild mannered CSR gets Disrespected & even Threatened with physical harm... if your not Good at budgeting (because pay periods are Once a month) an not very Appealing unless your doing massive over time at a busy office ..how the manager runs the office determines the work outcome and Good Management is hard to find, the Good things about working for the State is being off on the Holidays and weekends . The down side is not knowing when you will get home, they allow you to leave once the crowd thins out and Have you ever seen a DPS crowd?! .... if you are a single parent this job will have you going crazy .. But it's a Job
Pros
Off on Weekends & most Holidays
Cons
Long hours, no specific time to get off work, Rude Customers
Micromanagement
Customer Service Rep II (Current Employee) –  San AntonioAugust 15, 2018
Expect to always be watched like a hawk. Always changing policy. Always slammed. You will definitely have job security unless legislative budget has to cut.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor management
Review
Customer Services Representative III (Current Employee) –  Universal City, TXAugust 4, 2018
There is always room for improvement but I am thankful to have an opportunity to work. Having more staff to handle the demands of the office will certainly improve employee moral and teamwork.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Small staff count for large customer service needs