Texas Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Direct Implementation of Federal and State Programs
Reporting & HUB Program Director (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 11, 2018
A typical day at work is addressing emails concerning the federal and state programs I manage; attending various meetings; addressing employee concerns and questions; developing strategies to improve internal department goal; and analyzing data to improve goals.

I learned about various state programs and how to lead a team through various projects and issues.

The workplace culture was fast moving.

The hardest part of my job was building a reporting system to receive data from various districts and divisions for program reporting requirements. It was the hardest because all division and district data was segmented and used different chart fields. To date, I have developed a system to receive data and am now working to improve data validation.
Pros
Telework
Cons
Developing reports manually.
Disheartened
Right of Way Agent III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 10, 2018
Very disappointed in opportunity for advancement. Many empty promises not kept and administrative policies and procedures constantly changing and unsupervised.
Customer Focused
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2018
Fast paced environment multiple projects, daily interactions with clients and customers, Work with great team of people, very customer focused. The hardest part of the job no stated objectives from management. Training is always encouraged and provided to increase skills
Pros
Good Beneits
Cons
Not much room for advancements
Productive Environment and a place of continued learning
Construction RecordKeeper V (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TxJuly 9, 2018
A typical day of my job would be posting my materials received and payable. Working on building monthly estimates to pay the Contractors. I had to look through Contractors payrolls and make sure they were paying according to Policies in accordance with the standards set for each particular project. We had some State/Federal, some just Federal and some with Local/State/Federal. Each of these would be different on many issues and standards. I would usually be in charge of anywhere from 2-10 projects ongoing at a time. I would process, Monthly, Semi-Finals and Finals on each Project. The workplace Culture was very good. They usually trained you well in advance of any new changes. The hardest part of the job was the stress level to complete a project and the Audits. I always excelled in my work. I would average anywhere from 10-12 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of my job was that I loved the paperwork and the employee fellowship and also bonding with the Contractors on a professional level. I am leaving out a lot of day to day typical grind of the job, but I can get into that with my interviewer if needed. TxDot was based on a Merit System. Each Department would receive so much Merit money to hand out. You had to be doing above and beyond what was expected of you. I would always receive Merit money through out my whole experience at TxDot. I worked really hard to get it though. It was not just dished out.
Pros
Paid Vacations, Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, Comp Time Earned
Cons
Not very many
Great Job. Just needed more money per hour.
INSPECTOR II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2018
Jobs here are vast and very secure. TXDOT wasn't too stressful depending on your job title but as an inspector be ready to be busy all day round. some days depending on traffic and/or weather some operations may slow up but for sure there will ALWAYS be work.
Busy workplace but poor management
Contract Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Bryan, TXJune 23, 2018
The dept I worked for PEPS, has poor management. TxDOT overall is a great company to work for. The PEPS Dept has a very busy work load, requires many hours of overtime that you get comp time for, not paid. Makes it hard on your family at home.
Great Work Environment
TexDOT Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 20, 2018
My time at TEXdot was very quick due to it being a Summer Intern position. I worked aside a professional engineer and would like to have gotten employed after graduating.
Enjoyable job
Teck 3 (Current Employee) –  Stephenville, TXJune 20, 2018
I really enjoy working here but it’s time to do something different and see the country side, I have learned so much about how to run and operate different types of equipment and how to just shadow for moving and hauling equipment in my everyday life . I really enjoy driving all over the country and being in new places
Pros
Lots of comp time and insurance is paid for
Cons
The traveling public
Good Benefits
Accounting Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 19, 2018
Retirement Plan is the best, with great benefits. The company is going to move south and they did already an impact analysis, but all workers coming from the north will be affected.
Pros
Telecommuting
Cons
Not well organized
Positive
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 7, 2018
Government job, good security, bad commute (Austin traffic is the pits), excellent benefits, and great working environment. Excellent training opportunities.
Pros
security
Fleet Management
Special Projects Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 4, 2018
Overall Great working experience. Very good at balancing work, life. Great work transparency. Amazing Team. Ability to work from field or at home work office due to heavy traffic congestion or bad weather.
Pros
Great Benefits
Decent work place
Engineer Specialist II (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJune 3, 2018
Nice place to work, people was friendly and helpful, insurance and benefits were good, the bosses was knowledgeable. The over all pay could use some improvements.
Pros
Retirement
Cons
Low pay
Very Cliquish
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Angleton, TexasMay 30, 2018
If you are not part of the click you will be shunned and completely alienated. Supervisors and leads talk to employees about their personal feeling for other employees It is very back stabbing and hostile.
Txdot
Field Operations Facility Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 9, 2018
My typical day is not very typical. I am a Project Manager, so I travel quite frequent to each location to check progress on all my projects. My direct Supervisor does not live near me. We are pretty much on our own. I love the folks I serve and work with on a daily basis. We have a good group of folks on our team.
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits
Cons
TxDOT is an excellent place to work
Communications and Legislative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 9, 2018
There is tremendous job satisfaction making a contribution to the Texas transportation system, which is essential to the lives of Texans and those who visit our state.
State Agency
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXMay 8, 2018
This is a State Agency for the State of Texas. Good company, good supervisor and co-workers. Enjoyed my time of employment when I worked at this company.
Safety is the Culture
General Transportation Tech II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 5, 2018
Working to provide Texans good roads and infrastructure to keep Texans moving. Safety is First. Working with the DBE’s ( Disadvantage Business Enterprises) contractors to build our projects according to TXDOT specifications.
Hated it
Accountant III (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 23, 2018
Management needs more compassion and ability to get to know their employees before making assumptions. Always get to know your employees and they will always have your back.
Pros
Insurance
TxDOT Deckhand Employment
Deckhand (OS) (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXApril 16, 2018
Overall great maritime industry job. Ideal for someone looking to work on the water and get sea time but be at home with family. Rotating schedule - 2 weeks of early mornings, days, evening, and overnight. Male dominated crew.
Nice state agency to work for.
Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 13, 2018
-Always out doing the field inspections, spending about 10 percent of time in office, filling out daily reports.
-Friendly co-workers.
-Enjoyed watching the construction progress.
Pros
Healthcare.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight