Texas Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

excellent place to learn and grow
General Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 14, 2018
TXDOT was a close knit place to work. Very family oriented. Loved the hours and different jobs. The job was never boring and they always think safety.
Benefits
Cons
pay
Women managers are horrible
Contract Specialist Intern (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2018
Terrible work place women managers are the worse. They don't value their employees...they promise alot and never come thru....managers only look out for their own..
Pros
Terrible
Cons
Terrible
Stay Away
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2018
Lack of Leadership culture. Favoritism, politics. No matter if are hard worker or smart they don't allow work on projects that you will get some paid rise, this projects is only for their buddies or political affiliates.
Great working environment
Engineering Technician III (Current Employee) –  Bryan, TXSeptember 8, 2018
A great place to work with amazing, friendly people. This is definitely a place where you can have a great career. Great benefits as well. A family type environment.
great workplace culture
general transportation maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXSeptember 8, 2018
great place to work with on-the job training,40hour work week with the weekends off,comp time.sick and vacation leave accrual,great health,dental,vision ,and retirement plans.
Pros
have the weekends off
Cons
on-call rotation (1week) every 3 months and inclement weather during the winter
okay working environment
Contract (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 6, 2018
very quiet place to work. good employees to work with. but too far to drive. difficult to advance to other positions. culture is unique and many people are very tenured
Pros
ok
Cons
too far
Not a good place for young and energetic engineers
ENGINEERING ASSISTANT II (Former Employee) –  Brazoria County, TXAugust 29, 2018
This is not a good place for young and energetic engineers seeking to gain more knowledge and experience. I would recommend getting enough experience prior to joining TXDOT.
A NIGHTMARE OF OFFICE POLITICS !!!
Pros
Company structure is well
Cons
Too much bad office politics. If you don't have your own group and you can't handle stress, please! do not join this office
Good place to work for a long career
Special Projects Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 25, 2018
I enjoyed my time at TxDOT - It was a very good job with a culture of safety for it's employees. There were good and bad employees just like any other job, but overall the employees I worked with were great people. The hardest part of the job was working emergency operations, even though I really enjoyed it, it was long hours and could be very stressful at time. We had to work very long shifts, but it was very rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was working with facilities, ensuring the employees had great places to work. Ensuring that problems with building were fixed and they had a comfortable place to perform their job duties. I really enjoyed the auditing part of my job, by finding problems and giving management a recommendations to fix for these problems.
Pros
Rewarding by helping the public get down the highway safety, safety culture, great employees
Cons
Pay is not competitve with the private sector
Friendly staff
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 15, 2018
Everyone that I have met at the Texas Department of Transportation has been very friendly. The work place culture is very welcoming and inviting. Overall nothing but positive experiences with this agency.
iendly
Maintenace Technician (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 12, 2018
the hardest part of the job is that the majority of the work took place outside in the heat and cold...the most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to travel alot
A lot of opportunity to take on more and challenging tasks
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 10, 2018
Always encouraged to take on more. The people at TxDOT are second to none; hard working, charismatic, and always willing to help out. Admin appears to be disconnected from the needs and focus of their employees.
Great job, laid back atmosphere, just low pay for all positions
Contract inspector (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2018
Slow pace laid back atmosphere with the the ability to do something different everyday. Great benefits just not enough pay to compete in the competitive markets. Salary cap is limited to below market value at every position.
Pros
Great job willing to teach anyone willing to learn a new skill
Cons
Not enough money for the responsibility & 30% lower than competition
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 26, 2018
TxDOT is like a family. They'll take you in develop you, help you learn and ensure utter success. Best place I've ever worked - by far. Great work life balance!
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Laws, Regulations, Rigidity of any government organization
Great place to work.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 12, 2018
Tx Dept of Transportation WAS a great place to work. Enjoyed working with most of the fellow employees and most of management. Benefits were great but began to diminish under new management.

Management was great but became too political after new hires (for management) were brought in from the private sector - ie. former CEOs of corporate companies. Then everything became even more about hiring private contractors to do as much as possible for the dept. and lining the pockets of lobbyists, contractors, new upper mgt and their "friends" in high places. And less and less for the "lower class" employees.

Under new mgt employees began to be treated more and more like production resources than as real people with families. Hence, low morale developed quickly.

TxDOT essentially became a corporate entity.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, fellow employees, 8-5 hrs, M-f
Cons
New corporate management
Direct Implementation of Federal and State Programs
Reporting & HUB Program Director (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 11, 2018
A typical day at work is addressing emails concerning the federal and state programs I manage; attending various meetings; addressing employee concerns and questions; developing strategies to improve internal department goal; and analyzing data to improve goals.

I learned about various state programs and how to lead a team through various projects and issues.

The workplace culture was fast moving.

The hardest part of my job was building a reporting system to receive data from various districts and divisions for program reporting requirements. It was the hardest because all division and district data was segmented and used different chart fields. To date, I have developed a system to receive data and am now working to improve data validation.
Pros
Telework
Cons
Developing reports manually.
Disheartened
Right of Way Agent III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 10, 2018
Very disappointed in opportunity for advancement. Many empty promises not kept and administrative policies and procedures constantly changing and unsupervised.
Customer Focused
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2018
Fast paced environment multiple projects, daily interactions with clients and customers, Work with great team of people, very customer focused. The hardest part of the job no stated objectives from management. Training is always encouraged and provided to increase skills
Pros
Good Beneits
Cons
Not much room for advancements
Productive Environment and a place of continued learning
Construction RecordKeeper V (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TxJuly 9, 2018
A typical day of my job would be posting my materials received and payable. Working on building monthly estimates to pay the Contractors. I had to look through Contractors payrolls and make sure they were paying according to Policies in accordance with the standards set for each particular project. We had some State/Federal, some just Federal and some with Local/State/Federal. Each of these would be different on many issues and standards. I would usually be in charge of anywhere from 2-10 projects ongoing at a time. I would process, Monthly, Semi-Finals and Finals on each Project. The workplace Culture was very good. They usually trained you well in advance of any new changes. The hardest part of the job was the stress level to complete a project and the Audits. I always excelled in my work. I would average anywhere from 10-12 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of my job was that I loved the paperwork and the employee fellowship and also bonding with the Contractors on a professional level. I am leaving out a lot of day to day typical grind of the job, but I can get into that with my interviewer if needed. TxDot was based on a Merit System. Each Department would receive so much Merit money to hand out. You had to be doing above and beyond what was expected of you. I would always receive Merit money through out my whole experience at TxDot. I worked really hard to get it though. It was not just dished out.
Pros
Paid Vacations, Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, Comp Time Earned
Cons
Not very many
Great Job. Just needed more money per hour.
INSPECTOR II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2018
Jobs here are vast and very secure. TXDOT wasn't too stressful depending on your job title but as an inspector be ready to be busy all day round. some days depending on traffic and/or weather some operations may slow up but for sure there will ALWAYS be work.
Busy workplace but poor management
Contract Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Bryan, TXJune 23, 2018
The dept I worked for PEPS, has poor management. TxDOT overall is a great company to work for. The PEPS Dept has a very busy work load, requires many hours of overtime that you get comp time for, not paid. Makes it hard on your family at home.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight