Texas Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Productive and fast pace environment
Summer Support Technician II (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 5, 2018
Having been a temporary position, it was still fantastic. The pay was great, the management was nice, responsive and very helpful. The work was understandable and manageable. Would recommend as full time job.
Strong focus on the public safety and employee safety
Public Information Officer IV (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXNovember 1, 2018
TxDOT provides a good balance of work/life and safety for the traveling public and TxDOT employees. There is not much advancement within the organization and sometimes training is limited. Often, TxDOT spews too much rhetoric and operates with too much government "red tape", but things are changing as new leadership comes on board. The benefits and retirement program are outstanding.
Pros
Gret benefits and job security
Cons
Too much government "red tape" at times
No opportunities or lots of opportunities, depending on where you go
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 30, 2018
TxDot is huge. I worked at the Division office, or headquarters. Basically a cube farm with the majority of the staff eligible for retirement. Nothing high tech, cutting edge, modern, ext. Never had any job training, never had any input from the supervisor, never got any assignments from the supervisor. Rarely had any work to do. Vast majority of the "old timers" were hired into the same position that they were getting ready to retire from, 20-40 years of doing the same thing. Even the computer program was from the late 70's, with a 1983 IBM emulator interface. The whole location was just archaic. Now in the field, at the various offices that actually work on the roads, things are super different. Pay is higher for the same positions, advancement is regular, computer programs are up to date, people love their jobs. So just don't go to the downtown Austin offices and you'll problably love it.
Pros
Free parking in downtown Austin.
Cons
Pay below the HUD definition of "Low income", 10% mandatory retirement deduction from pay, benefits expensive for family. Three days of training on how to park a TxDot truck, 0 job training.
Not for me
Engineering Technician VI (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 29, 2018
I went in as a TXDOT intern expecting to get engineering design experience. Instead, I got to watch asphalt being laid. All summer. In Texas. Needless to say, it was very hot and very boring. I was simply another pair of eyes watching things get done, with little to no engineering mentorship or experience. The only thing that I can say was good was that I was paid relatively well to do absolutely nothing.
PROGRAM SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 28, 2018
Be prepared to work diligently with a variety of generational and cultural personnel. Great internship program and job seekers fresh out of college, perfect place for those seeking experience in the engineering field.
Great place for entry level and retirement
Ferryboat Deckhand (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXOctober 23, 2018
Great place to work as entry level. Learn seamanship. Also a great place retire. Get to work 40 hour work week and go home everyday. relaxed environment.
Many factors determine your experience
General Transportation Tech I (Current Employee) –  Ozona, TXOctober 22, 2018
There are many factors that determine why I want To stay and at the same time why I would leave Txdot. Main reason to stay is the time off, if your boss allows you it, and stability. Reasons to leave would be that after Taxes and benefits get taken out of your pay check not much is left.
work
Tarrant County Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 17, 2018
it was to low pay . the inspection classes were very help full . i would tell an young person to go there for training to become a full time inspector.
Pros
teach you to be a inspector
Cons
low pay
Not recommended
Medical Transportation Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 17, 2018
Bad job culture; backstabbing management; no recent history in this place of employment; hopefully it has changed although I am aware of complaints from others who still work there
Pros
State job
Cons
Bad management, bad working conditions
Typical work day
Projects as lead worker/project leader totaling (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXOctober 15, 2018
Start off by

1st Reviewing work actives and set assignments for others
2nd emails question and answers
3rd look at contractor work compare them to the planes and make payments.
4th meting with contractors and scope of work that need to be worked on.
Micro Managers
Information Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 3, 2018
A typical day at work was being on the phone 8 hours a day and also doing work on the computer. Managers were micro managers and difficult to work with.
Pros
Retirement benefits
Cons
days off
Transportation Technician
General Transportation Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 28, 2018
It varies. I am about 50/50 field and office here. I love that I control my schedule here and the benefits are A+. This is quite different from the land development work I'm used to, but this is a good thing. I do survey work on Texas' infrastructure which is highly satisfying. I feel that I am contributing to a greater plan than property sales.
There isn't anything typical about my work here other than it is atypical work. The projects vary widely under the Land Surveying umbrella. I communicate with contractors often and do projects from field to finish; so I have my hands in all of the work. The hardest part about the job is to pace myself: safety is number one here. The most enjoyable part of my job is I am in charge of my own schedule.
Do not work here if you want a fair treatment - period
Worker (Former Employee) –  Somewhere, TXSeptember 26, 2018
Hardest part of the job - Dealing with internal politics that hinder the agency's mission and employee effectiveness and efficiency.

Culture - Decisions are so poor. They run operations (IT) as if it were still in the 1990's and they embrace change as one would want to have 100 gallons of molten steel poured on them.

Management - If one suggests even required changes then you are an outcast if it does not align to IT operations. And the project management (IT) is run by a complete incompetent person. The entire IT is actually ran by a well-connected-operations-person not the actual IT director - stay far away from this one.
Pros
If you are a HOMER you are good at NOT doing the right thing you are good here
Cons
If you truly want to be strandards oriented and be the "best" this is not the place for you.
Job
CDL Driver/Laborer road maintanence (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 18, 2018
Very Great Job, and great work environment non stressful and relaxing and awesome benefits! They really appreciate there employees! I would Recommend to others
excellent place to learn and grow
General Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 14, 2018
TXDOT was a close knit place to work. Very family oriented. Loved the hours and different jobs. The job was never boring and they always think safety.
Benefits
Cons
pay
Women managers are horrible
Contract Specialist Intern (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2018
Terrible work place women managers are the worse. They don't value their employees...they promise alot and never come thru....managers only look out for their own..
Pros
Terrible
Cons
Terrible
Stay Away
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2018
Lack of Leadership culture. Favoritism, politics. No matter if are hard worker or smart they don't allow work on projects that you will get some paid rise, this projects is only for their buddies or political affiliates.
Great working environment
Engineering Technician III (Current Employee) –  Bryan, TXSeptember 8, 2018
A great place to work with amazing, friendly people. This is definitely a place where you can have a great career. Great benefits as well. A family type environment.
great workplace culture
general transportation maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXSeptember 8, 2018
great place to work with on-the job training,40hour work week with the weekends off,comp time.sick and vacation leave accrual,great health,dental,vision ,and retirement plans.
Pros
have the weekends off
Cons
on-call rotation (1week) every 3 months and inclement weather during the winter
okay working environment
Contract (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 6, 2018
very quiet place to work. good employees to work with. but too far to drive. difficult to advance to other positions. culture is unique and many people are very tenured
Pros
ok
Cons
too far

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight