Texas Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

TxDOT is an excellent place to work
Communications and Legislative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 9, 2018
There is tremendous job satisfaction making a contribution to the Texas transportation system, which is essential to the lives of Texans and those who visit our state.
State Agency
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXMay 8, 2018
This is a State Agency for the State of Texas. Good company, good supervisor and co-workers. Enjoyed my time of employment when I worked at this company.
Safety is the Culture
General Transportation Tech II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 5, 2018
Working to provide Texans good roads and infrastructure to keep Texans moving. Safety is First. Working with the DBE’s ( Disadvantage Business Enterprises) contractors to build our projects according to TXDOT specifications.
Hated it
Accountant III (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 23, 2018
Management needs more compassion and ability to get to know their employees before making assumptions. Always get to know your employees and they will always have your back.
Pros
Insurance
TxDOT Deckhand Employment
Deckhand (OS) (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXApril 16, 2018
Overall great maritime industry job. Ideal for someone looking to work on the water and get sea time but be at home with family. Rotating schedule - 2 weeks of early mornings, days, evening, and overnight. Male dominated crew.
Nice state agency to work for.
Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 13, 2018
-Always out doing the field inspections, spending about 10 percent of time in office, filling out daily reports.
-Friendly co-workers.
-Enjoyed watching the construction progress.
Pros
Healthcare.
Great place for civil engineering students
Summer Engineering Tech VI (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 6, 2018
I really enjoyed this experience, I got to be out on the field every day learning about different things such as paving, drill shafts, retaining walls, etc.

Great place to get hands-on experience in the transportation engineering field.
Pros
Great to get hands-on experience.
Cons
The same every day
Good enough for government work.
Office assistant and filing clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 2, 2018
Road maintenance and construction is just as slow and tedious on the back end as on the front. The general culture was one of complacency, and though I was only a temporary hire, meant to take up slack during the busy season, there was never quite enough to do to keep me busy.
Pros
Slow, relaxed pace.
Cons
Slow, relaxed pace.
Hands on Experience
Summer Engineering Tech I (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 26, 2018
I was a Intern for 3 years, loved my supervisors, co workers. learned a lot of how traffic signals are made, how they function, and how to fix them if they are broken.
Enjoyavle
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 25, 2018
I loved my job with Texas Department of Transportion. Loved my supervisor, my manager, the contractors. Working with the public and organizing meetings.
Great place to work, great benefits, good pay
Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 22, 2018
A well-run bureaucracy with highly skilled professionals throughout. A top state agency in Texas for pay and benefits. Leadership could be better, but gets the job done.
Pros
Professional workforce, lots of degrees, high motivation
Cons
Slow to adapt to technology; stuck in old-school mentalities/ways
Good place to work.
ENGINEER SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 20, 2018
Maintain District Design Development Database (DDDD) in support of the Programs deportment. Build projects with funding categories using the Design and Construction Information System (DCIS) according to the requirements of Transportation Improvement Programs, Metropolitan Planning Organization and the Transportation Policy Council. Administer state and federal transportation funded programs. Prepare and develop reports, spreadsheets and financial graphs used for future planning by the Programs deportment and Senior Management. Advise Senior Management on effective use of federal, state and local funds. Use Remote Operating System Conversational On-Line Environment (ROSCOE) for project applications. Correspond with Austin’s Transportation Planning & Programming Division and Houston’s project designers for project modifications. Assist Program Engineer with bridge inspections, structural evaluations, analyses of bridges, federal bridge programs, prepare and monitor supplemental agreements. Maintain detailed program project records and prepare annual reports. Serves as a lead worker, train others.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Poor management
Project Funding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXMarch 19, 2018
Poor management and low salary. But it all depends on which section you work at. It's all about knowing people in TxDOT in order to improve, otherwise they don't even increase your salary yearly. even if they do it's like 2%.
Un stable Transportation
Project Manager and Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 8, 2018
Not a place to work if you want upward mobility or opportunities to grow. The management is almost non existent until you make someone upset. The IT roles have been outsourced to a company that is only concerned with billing the state for more funds after funds.
Pros
set away form downtown traffic
Cons
Horrible management
Great place to work.
Admin. Tech. 3 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 5, 2018
I enjoyed my time with this company.. My manager made sure we were trained in the operations of our duties so we would have a clear path to job advancement and proficiency.
Pros
company paid for educational classes that were job related
Cons
Good old boy system was evident
Good solid workplace
Maintenance Technician I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 3, 2018
TxDOT was a beginning job career. The bridge crew was a specialized unit with unique workplace environments.
The training received was excellent and provided life skills.
Pros
Training
Cons
low pay
Limited Opportunity
Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 27, 2018
TxDOT offers employees almost no opportunity for career advancement, salary raise or skill development. The complex and remote upper management structure makes it difficult to address this attitude. The department is extremely slow to embrace new technologies.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Low salary, slow to adopt new technologies
Great place
Highway Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Dell City, TXFebruary 23, 2018
Great place to work however there is people that work there that are very set in there ways and just plain grumpy all the time but if can get past that evrythingthing els is fine very steady work enviorment
Pros
Always consistant income
Cons
Grouchy poeple to deal with but just a little people skills will go a long way here
not good
General transportation technician (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXFebruary 20, 2018
txdot could be a great place to work at but management just sucks. its complete chaos and nobody knows what to do. like running around like a chicken with no head. we the workers know what needs to be done but the big bosses say no and nothing gets done. supervisors , district engineers , engineers and upper management just are horrible.
Pros
money ok, alot of days off
Cons
poor planning, old equipment
great place to work
operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXFebruary 20, 2018
the most exciting thing about tex dot is the way they teach you how to be more safe in your work environment. The department of Transportation really teach you how to be a good equipment operator.
Pros
lots of comp time
Cons
there is no con to this job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight