Texas Education Agency Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Stable, but slightly bureaucratic
Financial Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 1, 2018
The company is a very pleasant place to work at for the most part (some business units are not so great). Work life balance is awesome. However, the agency tends to do frequent reorganizations which causes confusion. Also, historically they have over hired and had subsequent major layoffs.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Not much unless you get laid off.
Management needs some help in Project Managment
Quality Assurance Analyst I (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78208September 18, 2018
The upper management needs experience, managing and experience of project management. The upper management does not have any experience with waterfall or Agile project management.
Pros
Time off is good
Cons
Lack of professionism.
Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 17, 2018
It was a great place to work. Very collaborative environment. I was able to meet new people and learn new techniques that I used to become an even better educator.
You Get Good Benefits Working at TEA
Information Technology Security Lead Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 10, 2018
Working for TEA is somewhat rewarding, but merit increases are sparse and opportunities for advancement are slim. One of the most challenging aspects of the job is communication.
A Good Place to Work with Questionable Leadership
Program Specialist VI (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 9, 2018
The Texas Education Agency is a rewarding place to work with an employee-friendly climate and good benefits, but constant turnover in leadership can limit career advancement opportunities. I love working in a role that helps so many teachers and students, and the support I've received from direct supervisors during my time with the agency, but believe my professional interests are best served working for an employer with less turnover and shifting priorities at the institutional level.
Culture, Environment, and Morale is extremely low and toxic
Business Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2018
While I love working for my direct supervisor, the overall management at the agency does not promote a conducive, positive, or productive working environment. Management definitely exhibits favoritism and ignores the talent, ideas, and skills of many of the quality employees.
Hard working individuals
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 16, 2018
Worked here for many years. Culture has changed over the years but there are still many, many hardworking individuals there. Efforts to modernize have been difficult but necessary.
Pros
Good opportunity for public service
Hr
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 7, 2018
It was a good learning experience and I was taught a lot. It was political in some aspects but most of these jobs are. Overall I had an opportunity to grow... great mentor.
Pros
Great leadershp
Cons
lot of responsibilties
Enjoyed travel assisting schools and school districts
Technical Visit Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 10, 2018
Opportunity to assist schools and school districts with technical aspects to improve education for their students. Very satisfying; enjoyed travel aspect.

Technical Visit Team Leader, Texas Education Agency, Austin, Texas

• Leadership – Repeatedly recognized in writing for outstanding leadership skills, teambuilding as team leader and chairperson of Accountability Evaluation visits to Texas Independent School Districts.
• Delegation – superb ability to plan, organize, and direct the work of others
• Written Communication – Prepared and delivered on-site Accountability Evaluation written reports and delivered formal, oral presentation of the findings of the review team, evaluating the school district’s ability and efforts to bring about improved student performance outcomes
Pros
Travel
Cons
Extreme hours on occasions
Comfortable, secure place to work with great conditions.
Manager/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 5, 2018
Worked at TEA for 20 years in the same section. Started out as a programmer and worked my way up to Manager of the section. Had the same Director for these 20 years. I was loyal and I felt the from my management.
Productive and great environment to impact TX student's lives
Program Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 12, 2017
I worked at the Texas Education Agency for 22 years. It was a great place to work and I made a lot of friends over the years and had great and motivated peers. I felt that the work that I did at the agency impacted student's in Texas public schools. Management was good about using motivational tools to boost morale. I felt that I could move up based on my skills and abilities without a lot of bureaucratic snafus. I learned quite a bit about program management during my tenure at the Texas Education Agency.
Pros
Great environment, great coworkers, excellent benefits
Cons
Laid off
Moving forward
LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT SENIOR ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 9, 2017
It's the state. Salary is not competitive and it is there has not been a merit program for a while. Leadership is not engaging and does not care to coach or development.
Relaxing atmosphere
Program Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 27, 2017
Very day to day Predictable which made it a relaxing job but salary at a standstill. Job security base on legislation. Needed a challenge more than often.
Benefits
Cons
Very day to day Predictable
Serious and detailed oriented
Special Education Monitor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 25, 2017
A monitor works with a school district to correct any issues found in a review. Working closely with a district representative by phone, reading submissions and making on-site visits. Celebrating the journey to a successful completion of a report with a school district.
Pros
Helping districts
Cons
Requesting many documents to review.
Political
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 25, 2017
Political upper management group, lower management bullies and coworkers that will throw you under the bus to look good themselves.

If you are looking for a stable place to work look somewhere else.

In addition to the above also contractors are terminated with no warning at all. They pay higher salaries than the other states agencies, wonder why?

So unless you don't have a job pass on this one and keep looking.
Nice place to work
Sr. Oracle Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 1, 2017
It is nice environment to work, I would definitely recommend people to work at TEA. I had chance to work with different people at TEA, all are awesome in their respective fields (technology/business).
Great place to learn new skills, horrible management
IT Tools Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2017
If you are not in the click, you wont last. Totally political environment, so much so, people back stab one another to get ahead and the management promotes that behavior. Its a reality show where if you arent management, you will get voted off the island eventually.
QA Tester (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 27, 2017
Good place to work with very good work life balance. They have strict timings of 8.5 hrs and you can choose your hours . Work is not very hectic and you will have a good balance .
Great Place to Work
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 19, 2017
The TEA building is centrally located and the people are friendly and focused on their jobs. The hardest part of the job was getting there because of traffic, but if you give yourself plenty of time, it can be quite enjoyable.
poor management
Programmer V (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 22, 2017
Poor work was rewarded and the management encouraged drama. No possibility of promotions or raises. Has professional dress code when completely unnecessary
Cons
poor management