Texas Education Agency Employee Reviews

Culture, Environment, and Morale is extremely low and toxic
Business Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2018
While I love working for my direct supervisor, the overall management at the agency does not promote a conducive, positive, or productive working environment. Management definitely exhibits favoritism and ignores the talent, ideas, and skills of many of the quality employees.
Hard working individuals
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 16, 2018
Worked here for many years. Culture has changed over the years but there are still many, many hardworking individuals there. Efforts to modernize have been difficult but necessary.
Pros
Good opportunity for public service
Hr
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 7, 2018
It was a good learning experience and I was taught a lot. It was political in some aspects but most of these jobs are. Overall I had an opportunity to grow... great mentor.
Pros
Great leadershp
Cons
lot of responsibilties
Enjoyed travel assisting schools and school districts
Technical Visit Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 10, 2018
Opportunity to assist schools and school districts with technical aspects to improve education for their students. Very satisfying; enjoyed travel aspect.

Technical Visit Team Leader, Texas Education Agency, Austin, Texas

• Leadership – Repeatedly recognized in writing for outstanding leadership skills, teambuilding as team leader and chairperson of Accountability Evaluation visits to Texas Independent School Districts.
• Delegation – superb ability to plan, organize, and direct the work of others
• Written Communication – Prepared and delivered on-site Accountability Evaluation written reports and delivered formal, oral presentation of the findings of the review team, evaluating the school district’s ability and efforts to bring about improved student performance outcomes
Pros
Travel
Cons
Extreme hours on occasions
Comfortable, secure place to work with great conditions.
Manager/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 5, 2018
Worked at TEA for 20 years in the same section. Started out as a programmer and worked my way up to Manager of the section. Had the same Director for these 20 years. I was loyal and I felt the from my management.
Productive and great environment to impact TX student's lives
Program Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 12, 2017
I worked at the Texas Education Agency for 22 years. It was a great place to work and I made a lot of friends over the years and had great and motivated peers. I felt that the work that I did at the agency impacted student's in Texas public schools. Management was good about using motivational tools to boost morale. I felt that I could move up based on my skills and abilities without a lot of bureaucratic snafus. I learned quite a bit about program management during my tenure at the Texas Education Agency.
Pros
Great environment, great coworkers, excellent benefits
Cons
Laid off
Moving forward
LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT SENIOR ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 9, 2017
It's the state. Salary is not competitive and it is there has not been a merit program for a while. Leadership is not engaging and does not care to coach or development.
Relaxing atmosphere
Program Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 27, 2017
Very day to day Predictable which made it a relaxing job but salary at a standstill. Job security base on legislation. Needed a challenge more than often.
Benefits
Cons
Very day to day Predictable
Serious and detailed oriented
Special Education Monitor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 25, 2017
A monitor works with a school district to correct any issues found in a review. Working closely with a district representative by phone, reading submissions and making on-site visits. Celebrating the journey to a successful completion of a report with a school district.
Pros
Helping districts
Cons
Requesting many documents to review.
Political
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 25, 2017
Political upper management group, lower management bullies and coworkers that will throw you under the bus to look good themselves.

If you are looking for a stable place to work look somewhere else.

In addition to the above also contractors are terminated with no warning at all. They pay higher salaries than the other states agencies, wonder why?

So unless you don't have a job pass on this one and keep looking.
Nice place to work
Sr. Oracle Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 1, 2017
It is nice environment to work, I would definitely recommend people to work at TEA. I had chance to work with different people at TEA, all are awesome in their respective fields (technology/business).
Great place to learn new skills, horrible management
IT Tools Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2017
If you are not in the click, you wont last. Totally political environment, so much so, people back stab one another to get ahead and the management promotes that behavior. Its a reality show where if you arent management, you will get voted off the island eventually.
QA Tester (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 27, 2017
Good place to work with very good work life balance. They have strict timings of 8.5 hrs and you can choose your hours . Work is not very hectic and you will have a good balance .
Great Place to Work
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 19, 2017
The TEA building is centrally located and the people are friendly and focused on their jobs. The hardest part of the job was getting there because of traffic, but if you give yourself plenty of time, it can be quite enjoyable.
poor management
Programmer V (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 22, 2017
Poor work was rewarded and the management encouraged drama. No possibility of promotions or raises. Has professional dress code when completely unnecessary
Cons
poor management
Good Place to work
Auditor IV - Grants Review Unit (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 20, 2017
Working for TEA makes me feel good about helping the children of state of texas. Good place to work as this agency cultivates learning and critical thinking in a professional environment.
Left there feeling terribly sorry for the clients.
Call Center / Certification Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 4, 2016
I worked in the call center. Co-workers were very fun, we all got along great. I loved dealing with the clients / teachers. The manager did not want us spending any time making sure the client was satisfied. If we didn't have an immediate answer for them she wanted us to keep putting them back in the queue over & over. I would deal with clients that had been trying for days, on hold for hours & placed back in the queue numerous times.
Pros
My co-workers
Cons
Supervisor cared nothing about clients or employees
All the directors were very productive and it was enjoyable working at TEA.
Managing Director of Continuing Education (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 23, 2016
In my opinion a typical work day was monitoring the different divisions I was managing. Some divisions needed more monitoring than others. What I learned the most was speaking in conferences held by each division on certain days through out the year. In management I supervised the directors of each division I was assigned to at TEA. I would meet with other managing directors weekly and had meetings with upper management very often and discuss what needed improvement through out the agency. The hardest part was cutting down in budget management. the most enjoyable part of my job was visiting schools through out the state.
Pros
Visiting with students and parents through out the State of Texas.
Cons
Reducing the budget for my divisions.
Empowering Texas through learning
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 3, 2016
What I enjoy the most about my work is that I am in a position where I can empower various stakeholders such as schools, education service centers and employees at the Texas Education agency. As a technical trainer, I have the opportunity to identify areas that need development and provide leaning and business solutions.
Pros
Telework from home
Cons
1-hr commute
Great
LPAC representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 26, 2016
Has a focus for all educators. Has clear regulations for all school districts in the state of Texas. As an educator, Texas Education Agency has built a secure focus on student initiatives.