Texas Education Agency Employee Reviews

Texas ed Agency
Big Daddy (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 4, 2019
All kinds of opportunities

Lot's of good educated people

nice kids

great parents

terrific school lunches

Very Big district

it's fun to teach
Pros
school hours
Cons
kids need discipline
not what it used to be but change is inevitable
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 13, 2019
cafeteria is onsite and parking is included
good holiday schedule and great benefits package
always learning something new and putting it to use
nice downtown location
Motivation is based on fear, intimidation, and punitive measures
ITS (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 16, 2018
This review is for my current role in IT. Don't dare try to be innovative or have any initiation. Do only what you are told. There presentation mantra is Death by PowerPoint and are technologically behind in every respect. They set a horrible example for an EDUCATION agency. Trying to change anything in this culture is next to impossible as there are too many people who have been there way too long - and don't want anything to change. They use technology, software, and methods that were popular in the 90's and believe if they change to meet current trends, methods, practices, needs, etc., that they will lose their jobs because they can't keep up. Well, maybe they should lose their jobs so that educators and students can be better served.
Pros
Pay and health benefits
Cons
Cronyism, slow, bureaucratic, unprofessional, gossipy, cliquish, immature, toxic
Not what I expected
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 3, 2018
I thought that I would have job security, but in the first year, I was laid off and had to reapply for a different job. However, I guess it is a good resume builder.
Stable, but slightly bureaucratic
Financial Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 1, 2018
The company is a very pleasant place to work at for the most part (some business units are not so great). Work life balance is awesome. However, the agency tends to do frequent reorganizations which causes confusion. Also, historically they have over hired and had subsequent major layoffs.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Not much unless you get laid off.
Management needs some help in Project Managment
Quality Assurance Analyst I (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78208September 18, 2018
The upper management needs experience, managing and experience of project management. The upper management does not have any experience with waterfall or Agile project management.
Pros
Time off is good
Cons
Lack of professionism.
Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 17, 2018
It was a great place to work. Very collaborative environment. I was able to meet new people and learn new techniques that I used to become an even better educator.
You Get Good Benefits Working at TEA
Information Technology Security Lead Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 10, 2018
Working for TEA is somewhat rewarding, but merit increases are sparse and opportunities for advancement are slim. One of the most challenging aspects of the job is communication.
A Good Place to Work with Questionable Leadership
Program Specialist VI (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 9, 2018
The Texas Education Agency is a rewarding place to work with an employee-friendly climate and good benefits, but constant turnover in leadership can limit career advancement opportunities. I love working in a role that helps so many teachers and students, and the support I've received from direct supervisors during my time with the agency, but believe my professional interests are best served working for an employer with less turnover and shifting priorities at the institutional level.
Culture, Environment, and Morale is extremely low and toxic
Business Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2018
While I love working for my direct supervisor, the overall management at the agency does not promote a conducive, positive, or productive working environment. Management definitely exhibits favoritism and ignores the talent, ideas, and skills of many of the quality employees.
Hard working individuals
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 16, 2018
Worked here for many years. Culture has changed over the years but there are still many, many hardworking individuals there. Efforts to modernize have been difficult but necessary.
Pros
Good opportunity for public service
Hr
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 7, 2018
It was a good learning experience and I was taught a lot. It was political in some aspects but most of these jobs are. Overall I had an opportunity to grow... great mentor.
Pros
Great leadershp
Cons
lot of responsibilties
Enjoyed travel assisting schools and school districts
Technical Visit Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 10, 2018
Opportunity to assist schools and school districts with technical aspects to improve education for their students. Very satisfying; enjoyed travel aspect.

Technical Visit Team Leader, Texas Education Agency, Austin, Texas

• Leadership – Repeatedly recognized in writing for outstanding leadership skills, teambuilding as team leader and chairperson of Accountability Evaluation visits to Texas Independent School Districts.
• Delegation – superb ability to plan, organize, and direct the work of others
• Written Communication – Prepared and delivered on-site Accountability Evaluation written reports and delivered formal, oral presentation of the findings of the review team, evaluating the school district’s ability and efforts to bring about improved student performance outcomes
Pros
Travel
Cons
Extreme hours on occasions
Comfortable, secure place to work with great conditions.
Manager/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 5, 2018
Worked at TEA for 20 years in the same section. Started out as a programmer and worked my way up to Manager of the section. Had the same Director for these 20 years. I was loyal and I felt the from my management.
Productive and great environment to impact TX student's lives
Program Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 12, 2017
I worked at the Texas Education Agency for 22 years. It was a great place to work and I made a lot of friends over the years and had great and motivated peers. I felt that the work that I did at the agency impacted student's in Texas public schools. Management was good about using motivational tools to boost morale. I felt that I could move up based on my skills and abilities without a lot of bureaucratic snafus. I learned quite a bit about program management during my tenure at the Texas Education Agency.
Pros
Great environment, great coworkers, excellent benefits
Cons
Laid off
Moving forward
LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT SENIOR ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 9, 2017
It's the state. Salary is not competitive and it is there has not been a merit program for a while. Leadership is not engaging and does not care to coach or development.
Relaxing atmosphere
Program Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 27, 2017
Very day to day Predictable which made it a relaxing job but salary at a standstill. Job security base on legislation. Needed a challenge more than often.
Benefits
Cons
Very day to day Predictable
Serious and detailed oriented
Special Education Monitor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 25, 2017
A monitor works with a school district to correct any issues found in a review. Working closely with a district representative by phone, reading submissions and making on-site visits. Celebrating the journey to a successful completion of a report with a school district.
Pros
Helping districts
Cons
Requesting many documents to review.
Political
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 25, 2017
Political upper management group, lower management bullies and coworkers that will throw you under the bus to look good themselves.

If you are looking for a stable place to work look somewhere else.

In addition to the above also contractors are terminated with no warning at all. They pay higher salaries than the other states agencies, wonder why?

So unless you don't have a job pass on this one and keep looking.
Nice place to work
Sr. Oracle Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 1, 2017
It is nice environment to work, I would definitely recommend people to work at TEA. I had chance to work with different people at TEA, all are awesome in their respective fields (technology/business).