Texas Gas Service Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Great Company Overall
Accountant/Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 15, 2018
Overall I love working here. However I need opportunities for advancement. Most of the higher positions are located outside El Paso Are. Centralizing in Austin.
Solid company with excellent benefits
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 13, 2018
A good employer that gives every an opportunity to learn and advance into other positions.
Hardest part of position is that dealing with personnel issues can be stressful.
Enjoyed position because you get satisfaction that you helped at least one employee with their needs.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Sometimes management is located out of town
Nice people
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crane, TXMarch 9, 2018
This is a nice company to work for. The pay seems too low for todays economy. The office environment is laid back. It does get somewhat boring doing the exact same things day in and day out.
Good Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXJanuary 30, 2018
This was a good temp job no permanent stops available. Management and co-workers was great to work with everyday. The customers was great anytime I can help someone it was my pleasure.
Cons
Temp job
Interesting place to work
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2018
Opportunity to learn a lot of new things. Your job position will likely branch out into other aspects of the company giving you a chance to learn entirely new things.
Great job to work for
Foreman - Construction (Current Employee) –  Monahans, TXNovember 28, 2017
Great company , they take good care of there employees, bonus every year . Safety meetings often , drive cams awards for been a safe driver , they give you uniforms, two pair of boots per year jackets hats , they also give you a creador card for food if you work more then your 8 hrs .
One of the best I've had
Building Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 14, 2017
This company can be a family friendly place. Some of the people there I would consider family. The job allowed me to provide a great living for my family.
Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 10, 2017
Great place to work. Management is excellent. Great benefits and great people to work with. Communication and great and nice bonus structure and great insurance.
Hands-On experience; challenging; motivating
Engineer II (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 30, 2017
Work in the engineering department where workflow is continuous; each project provides a level of obstacles and challenges that will keep the engineer learning; developing skills and meeting new goals.

Work-life balance is highly satisfying, workplace culture is diverse but everyone will always make you feel like family
good company to work for
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Mineral Wells, TXSeptember 25, 2016
all tho they had a lot of changes always going on due to new management its a good company to work for and start a career they have friendly co workers ready to help in any way.
productive and fun place to work
Account Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 27, 2015
Typical day entailed keeping up on accounts that had been flagged delinquent, researching. Loved coworkers and comrodery
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 11, 2015
Good work environment, great people.

Enjoy going to work to a place were you are appreciated for what you do every day.
The company provides good training for development when the employee ask for it.
Some how a very slow pace to grow within the company.
Excellent benefits, but unless your friends with upper management there's not much room for advancement.
Service Tech 2 (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 27, 2015
I've been with this company for six years. The benefits are great, and the amount of money you can make with overtime is fairly decent. A typical day usually starts out making service calls in a company work truck for customers who need their gas service turned on. It also involves responding to emergencies involving leaks, CO, fires, pressure, maintenance, and any other natural gas issues. I've learned how to remain calm in stressful situations, and trouble shoot through difficult tasks that sometimes required a fairly decent amount of problem solving. Initally a great place to work, but unfortunatley I found out that management loves to play favorites and if your not one of them then good luck moving up. Service Techs work alone, but whenever there's a big project then teamwork is key. Getting along with your coworkers is crucial in this business. If you need help it's as easy as making a phone call, and there will always be someone to assist you. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the stress that upper management enforces upon its employees. Demanding that quotas are met by a certain time frame yet. So you have to work fast but in a safe way so you don't make a single mistake. When working with natural gas all it takes is one mistake to cost you your job and someone's life, or property. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you've satisfied the customer by providing them with a service they will need to make thier lives easier.
Pros
Great benefits, decent starting wages, decent overtime
Cons
stress from upper management, hard to advance, no one is never on the same page when it comes to enforcing rules and procedures
Corrosion Technician (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TxJune 28, 2015
This is a great company to work for due to the fact that they are very pro on safety and employee development. i learned to become a corrosion technician which was something i had never done before. This experience has opened many doors for me to expand my knowledge and put my past experience in this field.
great company to work for
Serviceman Tech (Former Employee) –  Monahans,Tx.June 22, 2015
Work 8 hour days off on weekends on call for a week,
work other towns nearby,meet customers everyday,
Great benefits maun office El Paso great communication
with supervisors
Pros
excellant training
Cons
office closed to public in small towns
An overall good company to work for.
DAMAGE PREVENTION/FIELD TECH III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 8, 2015
I was happy to be at work earlier than my appointed time and begin my day with all things in order.

I learned quite a bit about the natural gas industry in the way of damage prevention, state and federal regulations, safety and overall operations.

The management, for the most part, was a pretty good group of folks that knew their jobs well.

My coworkers were hard working and professional.

The hardest part of my job was being on call 24/7/365.

I really enjoyed training people to do a better job and to work safely.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Being on call 24/7/365
Was Temporary service
installer/helper (Former Employee) –  galveston,txNovember 7, 2014
Company wasn't hiring just temporary services. Installed Gas lines at homes and businesses. Also fixed leaks and made repairs to damage lines
Great company to work for. Very diversified and great benefits!
Staff Specialist - Construction (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 23, 2014
I am extremely busy day in and day out processing gas service retirements, requesting excavation permits from the COA Right of Way Management Division, and coordinating gas line repairs. The management is very personable and understanding about your workload and responsibilities as well as your personal and family responsibilities.
The toughest aspect of my job is dealing with the City of Austin and Travis County in order to obtain excavation permits. There is a lot involved with obtaining each and every permit. I have to coordinate with other contractors in the downtown area, turn in the necessary paperwork called for in special situations and maintain a professional, working relationship with each entity.
The most enjoyable aspect of my job is the wonderful camaraderie and interaction with my co-workers.
Pros
Great folks to work with and great benefits!
Cons
Not being able to work from home, on occasion.
Assistant Buyer (Stores and Purchasing Department)
ASSISTANT BUYER (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 9, 2014
I loved working at this company because TGS invested in me with so much professional development. They helped me to grow in the technology field, administrative field, interpersonal skills, professional and personal etiquette. They have employees and management that care and are true leaders in the utility business.
Good place to work and retire from.
Service Technician II (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 5, 2014
A typical day starts from my home with a company provided vehicle and ends with the drive home. I get the added benefit of not having to use my own personal vehicle. I learned a lot about gas and fuel codes and installations. The hardest part of the job would probably be the accountability. Being accountable for anything you do inside the customers home once you leave, despite what might happen when customers decide to make repairs themselves. So what I've learned is to make sure to document everything you did or did not do before you leave or you could be held accountable. Natural gas is dangerous and not to be taken lightly so it is so important to educate customers on the dangers involved in appliances that are not installed up to code. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be taking a negative situation and turning it into a positive one. It's a challenge to let customers see the positive side to red tagging their appliances even after a licensed co. installed it. It is my job to show them the safety side of the issue.
Pros
Good Benefits, you don't use your own vehicle, plenty of vacation days and sick days
Cons
You can't use your license, you can't practice all aspects of plumbing, just gas