Texas Health and Human Services Commission Employee Reviews

Great colleagues
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 16, 2018
I enjoyed working with the financial and program contractors. They were always friendly and helpful. Most professional. They are very good at what they do.
helping others
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 15, 2018
The best part of my job is helping others. A typical day is to determine what needs to be completed first and making sure to meet the deadlines. No management in office to oversee work. Working on my own.
Good company
Texas Works Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2018
Texas Health and Human Services is a good company for early work experience. Not enough pay for the work you do and no financial growth. Mandatory overtime during national disasters.
Benefits
Cons
Does not pay enough
Helping people apply for benefits
Texas Professional Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Port Lavaca, TXJuly 4, 2018
The hardest part of my job was sometimes letting people know they did not qualify for benefits because of income knowing they are trying to make it at the end of the day. Helping people is rewarding here because I learned about different cultures and languages as I helped them apply for benefits
Depending on which unit you worked in, your experience varied
Program Specialist IV - Lead Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2018
The Texas Health and Human Services Commission is the largest state agency in Texas. There are several different units and areas with many different managers and work methods. My unit's management was one of the few that created a stressful environment that resulted in high turnover. The good thing about state agencies is once you are in, you can usually move around until you find the right place for you.
Job is very rewarding in helping others. Salary is not competitive, job requires patients, willing to listen and speed in completing workload.
Medical Specialist 11 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 26, 2018
Overall,the job contains an endless scale of clients that the agency can not predict because it aids to assist the age, the disable and the low income regulated by the State. The agency culture has to be diverse to assist the public needs. Management deals with keeping up with the agency's constant regulated policy changes and social media that shorten communication time with staff that they manage.

I learned that though the workload would never end and though manpower was short, it was very important for me to show up with a positive attitude in order to be productive and help the people who most needed the services.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients to understand the programs and how they could benefit within the guidelines.

I also enjoyed peace of mind in going home each day.
Pros
off holidays, few required weekends, discounts with certain company and free meddial for employee only
Cons
overload of clients, minimum time to complete cases, applications excepted 24 hrs
Great place for work/life balance
Director (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 24, 2018
This is a great place to work if you are seeking fulfillment in your career by helping the citizens of Texas. It also provides a great balance between personal life and career life.
Pros
additional holidays
Cons
business processes can be slow
Unhelathy environment
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 22, 2018
There seems to be more people who don't want to be there than there are those who do. The work is meaningless to a lot of the employees. They get bored and careless and turn there attention to other employees, disrupting the day and work with immature and counter productive behaviors.
Pros
Lunches, paid travel, pto, easy work
Cons
Micro managemet, difficult personalities
Used to be a good place
STAFF SERVICES OFFICER I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 21, 2018
This is not the place for admin staff. Upper management makes no secret of their contempt for administrative staff. According to them we are always trying to get away with doing as little work as possible, we want more than we deserve (huh - like perks like teleworking that everyone else enjoys - that's just too much for us to ask). And yet we are the ones working so hard for so little pay. I would advise anyone applying for an administrative job to stay away from HHSC.
Can be very stressful and can consume your personal life.
Texas Work Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 21, 2018
A typical day at work can be full of unexpected tasks. You may work over 8 hours a day and possibly more than 40/wk. Management could be better. I have learned a lot from my previous supervisors. The hardest part of the job is dealing with management and taking accountability. The most enjoyable part would be learning new tasks, my co-workers and working with clients.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Taking accountability
Rewarding
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJune 19, 2018
The office is always busy with clients either calling or showing up in person.
I learned to become a good listener.
I believe we could have better trained Managers.
The office atmosphere is always busy busy.
The hardest part of my job is denying an elderly or disabled person based on their income or resources.
Being a Specialist is one of the most rewarding jobs I have had. People appreciate any kind of assistance
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Good work life balance but unmatched pay
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJune 16, 2018
Typical day involves utilizing good time management skills to prioritize work load and ensure that clients needs are addressed whether by telephone, electronic mail or in person visits. Hardest part of the job is maintaining the heavy caseloads and the easiest part is the great flexibility and independence given to complete the job.
Texas health
Texas Works Advisor II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 16, 2018
The job, even though it was not stated that it was a production type of job, there were number of accounts/applications that needed to be processed in a day.
Run For Your Life
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 14, 2018
If you are use to team work and business like company this is not the place for you. Some of these people have been here a long time and they word will go further than yours. I’m the type that don’t talk much and I was still in the office because of something I missed on helping the client fill out their application. I suggest you run if you can.
Pros
Cons
Parking, Insurance
clerk
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJune 13, 2018
this is a great starting job. The pay is not that great but it is a state job. This is a job that one can retire from if you can live with the salary that is offered.
Job
ES Clerk III/Reader (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 5, 2018
Working with HHSC was fun. I enjoyed the workers very much. This job feels like you worked with family. As for the job. It was stressful but the other employees did help you out when it hit really rough.
Hhsc
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 5, 2018
I started working for this agency right out of college. I started with DFPS and moved to HHSC in September 2017. I have incredible managers who seek the best in their employees. My manager is BIG on work/life balance which helps considering of the demand of the jobs within the agency. It really depends on what department you work in and the management, but mine has been exceptional. I am having to leave due to relocation, but if I could, I would stay with this agency.
Pros
Leave, benefits, environment, management
Cons
Money does not compensate the demands of the position and cost of living.
Productive environment and great manangement staff within Medicaid
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 3, 2018
I've been employed with the Health and Human Services Commission for 27+ years and I would do it again if given the opportunity. I was committed to the work that serviced the citizens of this great State of Texas and I don't regret one moment of my experience dedicated to this Program.
Pros
Great work environment, challenging tasks
Cons
Need new carpets in some areas that have not had new carpet for some time...
Love it
Texas Works advisor (promotion) (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 31, 2018
I love the opportunity that has been afforded to me by working with the Texas Health and Human Services Commission it has been a great experience for me and my coworkers.
good place to work
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Greenville txMay 31, 2018
It is a great place to work good hours and benefits. The Ladies I work with are a tight nit group and have worked together for a while. Work is interesting and you meet a variety of people.
Pros
free health care for you
Cons
requires good keyboarding skills