Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Updates from Texas Health and Human Services Commission:

Texas Health and Human Services Commission Employee Reviews

United States2,161 reviews
Found 2,161 reviews matching the search
Great place to work if you keep to yourself
It’s a great great to work if you keen to yourself, mostly if you you aren’t in a group they will treat you bad and take advantage of giving you the whole work load
Dependable
Working for state government allowed me to have a secure job that offered benefits. High volume work, but allowed the opportunity to climb when you applied yourself.
Pros
Good benefits and a great pension plan
Cons
Could pay better, but it is a government job
Drudgery
This workplace is severely punitive. You work endless hours and they tell you only what you do wrong. There is no work life balance. Negative culture.
Be all you can be
This job is not for everyone. If you love giving yourself to help others, this is a perfect job for you. I love going to work and be able to help others. This is a fast pace, intense work environment. Changes are a way of life here. If you are not into change, then this is not the job for you; however, if you love giving yourself to make a difference in someone else's life --- come on aboard and make a difference!!!
Culture Sucks!
They micromanage. Are sneaky and loooove to lie! Management cares about management only!! They will take advantage, mistreat you and stress you out!! They idea of employee appreciation is allowing you to wear jeans. No bonus money. Not fairly compensated for all the NEVER ending list of duties! The wise recognize the bull and leave right away! Us who have stayed, are the true fools!!
Pros
Helping people who really need assistance
Cons
Everything else especially the pay!!!
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Not worth it!
The only good things I enjoyed while working for HHSC as a Texas Works Advisor were my coworkers and the time off for holidays. The job is rewarding if you like to assist people with gaining eligibility for federally funded social service programs. The pay is poor and management is very messy, petty, and childish. Morning huddles were very shady and lacked motivation. Don’t expect to receive additional training once you come back from basic skills training because the managers don’t know how to work the systems used to process cases but expect for new workers to know how to do everything. Management sits in their office all day and gossips with each other rather than jumping in and helping out during busy days. Management does not care about their employees unless you make them look good to their regional director and state office. Don’t expect raises or bonuses because they don’t exist. Overall, the job is cool to get your foot in door with the state but expect to do a lot of brown-nosing if you want to get far and move up. This job isn’t for a people who are educated and outspoken because upper management hates that. They expect employees to conform to everything and work hard with no incentives. Also, there’s mandatory overtime every month which isn’t worth anything once it gets paid out. Expect to live at home with your parents, get a roommate, or a second job to make ends meet.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Bad management, low pay, hostile work environment
Run For The Hills
No work life balance. Constant mandatory overtime for the last 3 years w/ no true overtime pay as OT is comp time. Continual additions to the job without proper training or increase in pay. No room for advancement
Cons
Rate of pay, mandatoru overtime, poor upper management
Worst job ever
By far the worst job I ever had. It will ruin your family life and set you back in your career. It is fine when there is a full staff to work, but people are always quitting and the work automatically goes to the people who are left.
A healthy challenge met with persistent effort offers good result.
Once oriented with the campus and familiar with staff there are opportunities to constantly learn and build on your particular skill set. Endeavor to persevere.
Pros
Stability
Cons
24 hr "On call"
Ready to move on
Micromanagement and productivity rule this agency. Make sure you don't stay idle too long or ask too many questions. I'm ready to leave this agency.

high turnover
Pros
Paid training, Some nice coworkers
Cons
Micromanagers with attitudes, Mediocre training, Overwhelming workload, Terrible managment
Benefit package is outstanding
Combination of salary with benefits is competitive. The hardest part of the job is to manage all responsibilities in a timely manner. The best part is the work relationships built during my tenure.
Overworked
Staff are constantly overworked, forced to work 16 hr shifts because the next shift doesn't come to work or are on non client contact restrictions. Head supervisors only look out for their friends and people who intimidate them.
Very productive and inclusive work environment
Some of the best training I have ever been exposed to. I had an awesome Supervisor who noticed my strengths and areas where I needed strengthening and managed me accordingly. Every position is deeply rooted in providing the best client services possible. They celebrate everything and everyone.
Stay away !
A typical work day is getting in to settle down and get the run down from the previous shift. The coworkers were GREAT to work with, but the upper manager was a jerk if you were a guy. It was more " do as I say, not as I do" when it came to a situation with a female coworker and the manager in his car.
Great job security
HHS is a government entity which provide excellent benefits; pay not equitable to the job; and poor support for change. This is a company that has a diverse culture; but is extremely tiered in structure and lack of support to change or improve processes.
low pay; in the area i worked in people were slaves; worked uncompensated on weekends
in at or right before 8; 1 hour for lunch and out at exactly 5 pm; worked on saturdays uncompensated as mandated by the state government; any deviations go on your record and could cause you to be terminated. i never worked in an environment like this; not fun and any mistakes are reported to the boss immediately; received and sorted 2500 samples per day and on weekends; bad place to work; very low pay for the responsibilities required of you.
Highly Stressful environment
Great place to work for experience or just getting out of college. Not Ideal for people with families. Job has great benefits and paid holidays. Must be able to work in stressful environments and willing to work late hours.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Over worked, Long Hours, work never done
Management rules by fear.
Supervisor communications very poor. Very unprofessional. Management used bullying as supervisor style. Worst management I ever worked for. Training very poor. Given wrong direction on regular basis. Manager had no listening skills.
intern
One of the best experiences of my life! I have learned so much from the staff and managers.Even if you are not going to be a social worker, being in the front lines for a couple of weeks can change your approach while interacting with clients in the future. I never felt like an intern, I was allowed to tag along with some pretty impressive social workers, Management was supportive and generally cared about the health and well being of the staff. I over heard people walking into their managers office and announced that they had doctors appointments or other personal emergencies that required a quick response, to my surprise the acting management said "take care of your health, and keep me posted". I got the impression that they were like a really diverse family that just wanted to help each other. Of course i was only there for a summer.However, if you have the ability to step in and put your emotions to the side temporarily for the betterment of the children involved I 100% recommend working here.
Great place to work.
Flexible schedule. People are nice and I was able to work on challenging projects that enhanced my skills. Provided training to improve skills as well.
Hhs
This organization is unlike most. They typically pay the people who do the most to least and as a result people burn out and Move On. If it was up to me people in the work of social work should be paid starting salaries around 55 to 65,000 it’s only fair. We’ve gone to school gotten degrees and are taking care of the General Public where most people would leave behind. In many ways we are the backbone of any society
Pros
Flexable paid leave
Cons
They just gonna work it to the bone and expect you to like it
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Health and Human Services Commission. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
3.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight