Texas Health and Human Services Commission Employee Reviews

Found 1,819 reviews matching the search See all 1,824 reviews
Not the best agency to work for but provides great services to the people of the state.
Senior Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 25, 2019
I love working in Human Resources. I have had the opportunity to work in several different areas within HR. A typical day for me varies. I do a lot of counseling on Performance Conduct and Disciplinary Actions, FMLA, benefits, time, labor, and leave. Also, performance evaluations, job audits and worker's comp. Current management exhibits favoritism. The workplace culture is like that of a family. Most of us have been here over 30 years. That's one of the things that has made my job enjoyable. The hardest part of my job is hearing the disappointment in a customer's voice when policy is explained and it's not in compliance to what they wanted. But I think the most rewarding thing is I get the opportunity to help my customers everyday. Although I don't always tell them what they want to hear, it's still a rewarding thing for me because I explained to them what they need to know. I've developed both a professional and personal relationship with some and that is what keeps me going. I love what I do.
Pros
Outside my coworkers, there really aren't any pros to working for this agency.
Cons
To much favoritism, the hiring and promotion of friends, merit increases given to the same people every year, no room for growth.
Stressful
DFPS RCCL (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 21, 2019
DFPS culture is almost like a High School. The ones that were bully at school are the one bully coworkers specially in management position. Is like a "Novela" from 8-5. No help and humiliating the new workers. The training is extensive in the standard compliance but when it comes to investigation is a poor one.

One great part of this job is being able to help our kids in the system and be their voices. The sad part , I was told to be less a social worker and more a investigator. I was told by a supervisor to be less caring when I was talking to the kids. One thing I couldn't do was not listening to their life story and making him/her believe /he/she was just another kid in the system.

My experience was a traumatic one. This was supposed to be my dream job , but turn out to be a nightmare.

Poor Management, he or she said environment. No professionalism. Total disappointment.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Terrible Management and supervisors.
N/ a
Program Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 21, 2019
(Community Care Worker III)

Work life balance wasn't great, the pay was horrible. Never gotten a raise. wouldn't recommend working for HHS due to the cost of living in Austin Texas and not being compensated unless you were in upper management. Had to have 2 jobs due to only bringing home $1700.00 after taxes. The stress of the job wasn't worth the pay.
Lacks compensation
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 20, 2019
The workload in investigative units for an administrative assistants is high and unrealistic. For an average of 21-25 caseworkers, there is one admin assistant. When approached for a possible merit raise, supervisors are not aware of the protocol for awarding the raise and the raise itself isn't much. There's no advancement in the administrative assistant career path unless you decide to be a caseworker. The tasks are never ending. Would be nice if DFPS offered administrative leave if raises are not an option.
Cons
Low Pay, Heavy Workload
APS needs to raise pay
Adult Protective Services Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 19, 2019
The hardest part of the job is keeping your caseload manageable, Dallas caseloads can get high pretty quick if not careful. Learn to close cases fast.
Pros
Good healthcare benefits.
Cons
needs better pay for all the travel requirements.
SecretaryII
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasMarch 18, 2019
Loved working for this company working with people and working independently. loved the clerical work typing, filing, data entry. and other requirements as needed in office such as payroll, distributing mail/
Pros
the benefits
Cons
sometimes long weekend hours
Great Work Life Balance
Business System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 15, 2019
Working here provided an opportunity to learn as well as work on a flexible schedule which allowed me a good work life balance. Great management and co-workers.
Fulfilling
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXMarch 15, 2019
Oh a regular day, you show up, see what needs done in the apartments. Make sure you're following all requirements in every task that you do. Take care of your residents and they'll love you.
Stay away
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mission, TXMarch 14, 2019
Management throws everything out of proportion, questions why taking so long in bathroom, working a case, claiming next case, etc. They have favorites employees. Everything is an issue to them and I do mean everything
Pros
Holidays, free insurance and keep insurance after retirement, weekends off
Not the best agency to work for.
TEXAS WORKS ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2019
I work there as a texas works advisor for 10 yrs and it was a very hostile work environment, management is poor and communication is not good between staff and management.
Pros
Benefits are good!
Cons
Management is poor, A very hostile work environment
Stressful, Unsupported, Hostile Work Environment
Child Protective Investigator III (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXMarch 9, 2019
There is not enough hours in the day to complete required tasks. Lunches are skipped. Own children and families are neglected.
Very stressful job that may cause high blood pressure, weight gain, anxiety, and depression.

Learned not to share opinions that differ from superiors. Quiet workers are manipulated and bullied. Loud, obnoxious, workers move up.

Management sweeps indiscretions under the rug and bully workers. Conduct sloppy investigations if a concern is investigated at all. Fraternize. Lack consistency in disciplinary actions. Disregard for direct reports personal information. Consistently degrade and humiliate workers. Lack integrity and honesty.

Work culture differs from one office to the next. Some are more supportive and respect cultural diversity, while others are just a hostile environment that encourages unfair treatment and drama. Some focus on team building, while others alienate their workers.

Hardest part of the job is following a directive from a superior that is not thinking in the best interest of a child and/or family. Following policies that conflict with own personal views.

Most enjoyable part of the job is working with children and families that are truly in need, being hugged, and told "Thank you" for coming into their life.
Pros
Great Benefits and Retirement
Cons
No work/life balance.
N/a
Family Based Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rosenberg, TXMarch 8, 2019
Its a very uncomfortable, stressful, unhealthy and unprofessional work environment. They don't value their employees and management is very unprofessional.
Challenging, a culture that believes is developing staff and career opportunities to those that show their willingness to learn.
Texas Works Advisor III (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMarch 7, 2019
Fast paced with a support team that will not only guide you but push you to be better every day. There is an amazing feeling of family when an employee puts in the effort. The hardest part of the job is location of policy and the most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to make change and be a part of that change.
Pros
Great insurance
Cons
Application process for current employees
fun place to work
Eligibility Specialist II / Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 6, 2019
it was a good company I meet wonderful people
the drive was great the hours were flexible

I actually had just started my career
it was a learning opportunity
Pros
flexible
Cons
location
Highly Stressful
Caseworker III (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 6, 2019
It is a great job for what its purpose is, but you definitely want to this type of work. The leadership needs improvement and there needs to be more consideration for the caseworkers and their personal well-being.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
stressful
Micromanaged & unethical behavior
Disability Examiner (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 6, 2019
I successfully completed 11 months of probation with even producing higher than expected case determinations for 2 months. I then got sick with pneumonia & was out sick for 5 days with a doctors note. Subsequently, I got behind in my cases. After 1 week, I was told by my manger that I won’t pass the final month of probation because of my case delays. I was forced to resign & then didn’t qualify to receive unemployment benefits since they told TWC that I resigned according to my own will!!!!!
This is their way of getting work out of you & then letting you go while asking you to resign so that you won’t qualify for unemployment benefits & end up struggling to pay your bills!!!
TWC & I called my manger directly but he never returned our phone calls!!!
This state agency is unethical & this is their trick of not paying unemployment to people they let go.

That’s why this DDS state agency is a REVOLVING DOOR so they are continuously hiring!!
Pros
Cons
Unethical & micromanagement
Great Place to Work
Risk Management and Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 3, 2019
Mission is the drives the focus and work performed at the organization. Desire to ensure quality, effective and comprehensive services are available to clients.
Lvn
License Vocational Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brenham, TXMarch 1, 2019
The company is great, with great co workers and residents. I decided to leave the company to do travel nursing. I've been with the state for a total of 10 years and look forward to going back in the near future.
Great starter job for college graduates.
Public Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXFebruary 27, 2019
Working for the State overall means job security if you’re in the right department. Great diverse environment, flexibility and many advancement opportunities.
Pros
Job stability
Cons
Strict schedule depending on your job/department.
na
TEXAS WORKS ADVISOR III (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 25, 2019
The state is a good place to start but limited growth for advancement and the salary is not competitive with the private area. Raise do not meet cost of living in any area of the state