Texas Health and Human Services Commission Employee Reviews

Found 1,771 reviews matching the search See all 1,772 reviews
Entry Level
Family Based Safety Services (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2019
This is a great entry level job that will look great on your resume. It is fast paced and can be stressful, but will prepare you for other job roles.
Draiing, exhausting, un-rewarding
Investigative Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TexasJanuary 14, 2019
There is hardly anytime for your family, because you're always taking care of everyone else's. Plus, Management is only worried about numbers, and never focus on the good things you do.

They always send out recognitions, but it's always the same people being recognized.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Never recongized for the good things you do
Great benefits
Training Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2019
i have been with the state for over 5 years and i think they have great benefits overall. i do feel that have security with my job and I can have time with my family. But the pay leaves much to be desired.
Pros
holidays off
Cons
pay
Good pay but I sold my soul to the devil
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 14, 2019
Training was extensive, I feel it was super helpful to shadow workers prior to doing the job on my own. The job is very challenging which I loved it was enjoyable. If you have positive people on your team who help out in tough times and can joke about your cases together you'll be fine. Its need to be noted that everyone is not helpful, you could work 24 hours straight watching your removal and have to travel to get them placed, to come back to work like nothing happened and you get a new case or removal. Your PD, Sup and your unit will make or break you in this type of work. The PD's or Sups don't care that you have children or a family, the focus is on numbers and closing cases and seeing children timely. Sometimes I felt I had to lie to get by and could never get caught up because I want to be home with my family at 12 am on a Tuesday night, when you feel this way this way its time to look for a new job.
Stressful and low paid
Texas Works Advisor I (Former Employee) –  Orange, TXJanuary 10, 2019
Expected to do tasks within a unrealistic amount of time, and certain amount of tasks per day. Training is a joke and you do not really learn on actual software you will use daily. Very "good ol boy" type atmosphere, and no real advancement no matter how hard you try because you have to "know" the right people to advance. Are treated as if your best is never good enough. You are on probation for 6 months but up to a year, and constantly reminded on a daily basis that they will let you go at anytime. They pay you just above the cut off for any assistance, and if you are on assistance they talk poorly about you when we are supposed to be helping people not putting them down. This is not what i signed up for and nothing like they described.
Pros
Paid medical healthcare
Cons
Stressful, Pay is low, no advancement
Hard work daily
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Jasper, TXJanuary 8, 2019
Loved serving clients for themselves and families.
Daily duties were great and able to do in a given day.
Supervisors were able to relay policy and back then were nice to work with and for.
Pros
Earned leave monthly
Cons
Short breaks
Call center
Texas Works Advisor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 3, 2019
Call center with very limited opportunity for advancement. Public contact mostly restricted to timed telephone calls. Heavy workload, “mandatory” overtime on weekends and after hours with little notice. Accrued paid time off as requested is subject to being denied during holidays and summer due to workload or scheduled trainings. Medical and other appointments are expected to be scheduled outside of work hours and overtime.
Pros
Paid employee health insurance for self only
Cons
Short notice on mandatory overtime
not so good place to work
Texas Works Advisor III (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 3, 2019
Used to be a good agency to work for. Due to changes, the work is too demanding for the salary. We haven't gotten a pay increase in years. The culture is becoming hostile.
Pros
affordable health insurance
Cons
mandatory overtime
A Place for People to Do The Bare Minimum
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  TexasJanuary 3, 2019
Going into this position I was expecting to grow and strengthen my clinical skills, however this was a lie. The professional development is laughable and does nothing to make you a better clinician. The workload is fairly easy and if all your interested in is case management then this might be the job for you. Even though the job description discusses other responsibilities such as counseling this is not the case. You will have to push your way to get these opportunities and the psychologists tend to be territorial over this area. Upper management does not support social workers that are working towards their clinical license to obtain these crucial skills. This place wants you to stick to the status quo of just being a case manager. If you want something slower paced and are thinking about retirement come to the state. This is a job that can be part time and is not challenging, but you get to be full time.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Professional Development, poor management, dysfunctional teams, and lack of empathy from clinical professionals
Productive work place
Research and Statistics Tech I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 1, 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my coworkers. Even though this was an internship, the environment and the people were very helpful and willing to teach us interns the ways of working at HHSC.
good place to work good retirement
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXDecember 28, 2018
a good work environment, great benefits, job is very rewarding. typical day is helping other people in their daily walk in life and making sure they experience normal life.
Pros
good retirement and health plan
Cons
no overtime pay for overtime hours
Nothing else to add
Disability Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 24, 2018
Nothing else to add at this time about the company. The benefits are fine. Pay could be better and they do not care if you have a medical procedure and need to be off. They will still fire you.
Poor management, low pay, no advancement
Custodian 2 (Former Employee) –  Austin TexasDecember 22, 2018
Texas health and human service commission, my opinion I feel like the job is only good for retirement and insurance benefits. And if you are a person that likes to work with people with mental ill sickness. I feel this job will be awesome for you.That's also a good benefit helping others get to the next level of their illness. But overall if you want anything long-term and looking to advance in the workplace Texas health and human service commission is not the job. There are too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Management is very one-sided meaning poor. Just keep in mind that you will have your own back when working at Texas health and human services commission, trust nobody everybody is for self. Cut-throat.
Pros
Retirement plan and health insurance
Cons
Stressful, Low staffing, underpaid for the job that is given, and very poor management
My experience with Texas Health and Human Services
Texas Works Adviser III (Former Employee) –  4444 Ledbetter Dr, Dallas, Texas 75224December 19, 2018
My experience working for Texas Health and Human Services was good for me it was place I want to work and enjoyed working in the involvement. The positions I work was what I want to do and my interaction with the Clients I service was a good experience knowing I was helping people that needed assistance. Some time the work floor was stressful, but was given extra time to complete the work. workplace involvement was mix culture, good management and the most enjoyable part of the job, Holidays off and earning extra merit time, sick leave and annual leave and the advancement that come with the job and being able to retire with benefits. The hardest part of the job was the workload.
Pros
Good management, Holiday days off, earning merit money yearly, accumulating sick time and annual leave time and being able to Retire with Benefits.
Cons
To me there was no Cons.
The Human has been taken out of Health and Human Service Commission
Texas Works Advisor (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 14, 2018
Do not be naive in believing you are working there to assist people. That is just a side effect of being there. Your primary function is to compete case; approved or denied for the client is irrelevant to the company. It is all about numbers; do not spend too much time on a case. Do not pend for information. Do not spend time investigating client's lies, and yes if you work in Texas for any company (not for yourself) they can see that. The direction of HHSC was to complete cases and the Commissioner at the time said, "if our advisers do not like it they can find employment somewhere else".
Review Summary
Special Investigator / Tarrant County (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 14, 2018
The job compensation was exceptional. The work does not work well with having a family. They require a lot of hours from you sometimes working 24 hours in a row. Job security depends on who you know. Management lacks guidance. The job culture is stressful.
benefits
Cons
Work long hours.
low pay great family oriented job
ES Clerk 3 (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 13, 2018
I worked for the foodstamp office helping people apply for foodstamps tanf or healthcare. The ability to come and go for family emergencies was readily available,which I loved. The pay however was extremely low and paid once a month at salary. So I worked more than 40 hrs a week for low pay salary. That to me was what eventually made me look for another job.
What I learned
Attorney (Former Employee) –  TXDecember 7, 2018
Organization and research are key. As an attorney you will need to reach out to others in the organization that are willing to orient you on certain issues. It's a tough work load.
Pros
Mentors Available
Cons
High Learning Curve
stable employment
Trainer/Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TX 75051December 6, 2018
Stability in employment. Great benefits. Promotions and growth within the agency was great! It was an extreamly stressful environment with demanding timelines and bad employee morale due to the lack of bonuses and raises.
Pros
travel
Cons
raises did not increase frequently
Productive and a great working environment
Monitor (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 4, 2018
Working with families and children providing a safe environment for the children has been a great experience. You must have good communication skills for this job.