Texas Health and Human Services Commission Employee Reviews

Great
Provider (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXSeptember 18, 2018
I really enjoy my job working with others that can't take care of themselves cleaning dressing cooking helping to shop etc the pay if ok but can't be more I like the new bouns we get for clocking in / out on time never have a problem with getting payed
Coworkers were like family
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Duncanville, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Very fast paced environment could become very stressful.
Learned new systems that had been implemented how to multi task,data entry, two screens Room for advancement.
Cons
getting paid once a month
Way too stressful with low pay
Community Care Worker II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Avoid it if you can. The job is very stressful due to the heavy and never ending workload and low wages. I was a field case manager so I had home visits that needed be completed by a specific date, all while fielding a steady influx of calls from clients and home health agencies. I would arrive at the office in the morning and would have a minimum of 35 voice messages that ALL were required to be returned within 24 hours. Oh, and don't get me started on the amount of faxes that came through on a daily basis, that then had to be filed in order to comply with the monthly case audits. Impossible!!
Pros
free health insurance
Cons
low pay, heavy workload
Fun work enviroment
ES Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 11, 2018
It is a very fast paced environment, where you need to work with little errors, have a lot of patience but get to help people. This job is rewarding everyday. The management is good for the most part.
Pros
Fast paced, Benefits
Cons
Pay
Challenging place to work
TEXAS WORKS SUPERVISOR I/II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 11, 2018
There is a heavy workload. The needs of the community are plenty. It is a position where you help the needy families in Texas to get back on their feet. It is challenging, stressful and demanding It makes you smile when you know that this family will have dinner on their table tonight because you assisted.
Productive and sometimes a fun place but a high turn over rate
Texas Works Advisor II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 8, 2018
A typical day at work was easy login to my systems process my application tasks as they were assigned. I learned a lot thru the years as I worked at HHSC , the workplace culture was a who you know type of place only where I worked can not speak on all HHSC locations the hardest part of my job was trying to advance in my field, the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help fellow citizens
Pros
Free Healthcare
Cons
very little room for advancement at location I was employed at
This is a nice place to meet good co-workers
Family Bases Safety Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 7, 2018
TX Health and Human Services was an interesting place to work at with lots of work available. This is a fast paced job that you had to work fast paced.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Fast paced
No room for advancement
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 7, 2018
Position was as a contracted employee via staffing agency. Contract not renewed upon completion due to lack of available work. Strict adherence to remain at desk in case tasks were assigned.
Pros
Convenient Location
Cons
No benefits offered
Excellent agency to work with
Texas Works Advisor II (Former Employee) –  Clute, TXSeptember 6, 2018
Excellent agency to work with. It has excellent health,dental,benefits. It also has 401k. It has excellent leave policies,the more time you work,basically the more time you accumulate. It also has advancement opportunities.
Pros
The flexibility of leave
Cons
stressful
Horrible place to work! DON'T DO IT!!
TWA (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 1, 2018
Training is horrible. As you go through training, if you ask questions related to material already covered it counts against you. You are expected to keep up with the class regardless of the fact that people learn at different rates. You must pass all quizzes at 80%. If you don't or fail to keep up, you will be terminated without warning due to probationary period. The probationary period is a year long. You are timed on EVERYTHING! Management doesn't care. Very stressful. The job isn't worth the pay.
Benefits
Cons
Training doesn't allow you time to learn and process policies. You are timed on everything. Salary
Productive and a fast paced environment.
EBT Clerk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richardson son, TexasSeptember 1, 2018
I really enjoyed the experience. Each day taught me the culture of face to face interactions and how it varies. It confirmed my belief that when customers, internal/external are irate, that it is never about the assistor. It is not what you go through but how you behave when you are going through. Everything is always about how you behave. I enjoyed working with the people. It help me work on my own disciplines.
One state employee's opinion!!
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 30, 2018
The Texas Legislators seem to forget the state employees during sessions and budget time. They profess to care so deeply about the vulnerable citizens of Texas but not the workers that serve our vulnerable citizens. I enjoy working for this agency and the people which I work alongside everyday. Greatly disappointed that we are not compensated for the valuable services we provide.
Texas Works Advisor II (Former Employee) –  Athens, TXAugust 27, 2018
Learned a lot about how benefits in Texas work. Helped me be a le to help others more and understand their situation. Coworkers are every helpful and not just in it for themselves
Pros
Great insurance
Cons
Not enough chances to promote
Work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 27, 2018
Great please to work, if you like to help citizen. Great benefits and great holidays time off. Great please to retired.

Working hrs are from 8-5. Yes, there might be some overtime due to the system being down. The state of Texas is using a great system which is called TIERS. Faster services for the clients.

Most enjoyable part of my job working for the state of Texas was to provide training to workers and other management. I would travel through out the state of Texas to assist with roll outs. Got to meet a lot of staff and some became really good friends.
Pros
retirement
Productive and fulfilling
Social Services Worker III -Hospital Based (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 26, 2018
Interview applicants for assistance with Food Stamps, Medicaid and Tanf. Complete the application process and make determinations for benefits. Management very considerate of personal issues. Diverse workplace. Hardest part of my jobs was denying applications for needy people. Most enjoyable part of my job was approving benefits for needy people.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Workload
Terrible job, would not recommend
Texas Works Advisor II (Former Employee) –  Marble Falls, TXAugust 25, 2018
Awful place to work. Management is terrible. They expect the world and treat employees like they don't matter. They give you paid time off and then wont approve you for it when you request it. There are only 2 people allowed off at one time and the office that I worked in included 3 other offices at different locations so you could never take the time off you needed. They do not care about their employees at all. You are only given a certain amount of time to complete a task and not only is management watching you but higher up management is watching your clock and seeing how long it takes you to do a task. Their systems are slow and constantly going down and then you have to travel to another location to do your job.
Texas Department of Health and Human Services
Program Specialist III - Family Violence Program (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 24, 2018
Employment at this agency was exciting and very fulfilling. Learned a lot about Domestic Abuse, accounting and management of contracts. Traveling the state to women's domestic violence shelters was quite fulfilling.
No Advancement/Favoritism
Intake Screener (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXAugust 24, 2018
I gave them more what they gave me (Pure Economic) with very low wages. The amount of pay you get for the work that you produce is very uneven. I learned that working for HHSC you get low wages but work extremely hard. The management is very unfair/favoritism, people stabbing each others back. They are all friends and have no ethics or professionalism. Management monitored your calls and constantly shoot out email " calls is on hold" if you are not on break pick up the call). You applied for another position-they wouldn't call you or if they did the management wouldn't notified you as to why you're not the the right candidate. It is poor management, no leadership. The most enjoyable part of the job were the stay to myself. I would not recommended anyone to work here,
benefits
Cons
micro manage
Great schedule for anyone to work an office job
Medicaid Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 23, 2018
This is a general office job. Working for the state means I know my schedule is a regular 9-5 work week with weekends off and paid holidays. The benefits are very good as well. The only down side is that it is a very tedious job and therefore, not for everyone.
Pros
Great schedule and benefits
Cons
Tedious
State agency struggling with low morale and high employee turnover.
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 19, 2018
I was employed as a caseworker here for 16 years. The state adopted a new system of working our caseload about 4 years ago and everything went downhill from there.

You now are expected to work as many cases as you can without regard to quality or treating the client fairly. The state basically is no longer interested in customer service or helping low-income individuals become self-sufficient.

You are given sick days and compensatory time but are not able to use this time off since the new system requires everyone to be slaving away at 120% at all times. It is a type of quota system where you are now evaluated based on how many client cases you complete without regard to the quality of the work.

Many co-workers left as soon as soon as they were able to retire or simply many now quit even during their first training days.

The best of luck working at this agency.
Cons
Low morale, excessive hours