Texas House of Representatives Employee Reviews

Great way to start a career in Government
Chief of Staff (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 29, 2018
Extremely busy and demanding, but an employee will learn something new everyday. The most difficult part of the job would be the Legislative Session. for about six months every two years you can count on putting in 12-18 hour days.
Pros
relationships you build
Texas House
Legislative Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 10, 2018
Great fun because the office I worked for was a blast. The environment is awesome and I would recommend anyone interested in politics to try and work at the Capitol.
Productive environment with interesting people to work with at a highly professional level
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 13, 2018
During any Legislative Session things are very hectic at the Texas State Capitol. Days are filled with citizens from all over the State of Texas coming by the representative's office in hopes to get to speak with the representative to voice their concerns regarding existing laws in Public Affairs and Business and Industry.

In addition, it was very interesting to learn what happens during a Legislative Session. I learned about the role lobbyists play in getting laws changed to benefit the businesses they lobby for and much more.

My supervisor was great to work with. Office staff know their duties and are responsible for making sure that those duties are completed on a daily basis with out much supervision. There were plenty of activities for the staff to participate in which was a great team work building tool as well as a way to network. Part of my job was to meet with constituents and listen to their issues with laws regarding immigration, women's rights and the LGBT and I found it very difficult when I could not give them more than vague answers to their questions about the laws pending in Legislation. This was also my favorite part of the job because I was able to learn about these issues and form my own opinion of them.
Pros
free lunches, amazing events and networking
Cons
my position was only temporary
Stressful but a great learning experience.
Legislative Aide (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 11, 2018
Though this is a difficult environment to adapt to, there are numerous opportunities that can result from the experience gained with the Texas House. The contacts made are unmatched and can apply to almost any field.
Fast Paced, Stressful, but Rewarding
Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 8, 2018
Long hours, cut throat competition at all levels of work. Rewarding experience to assist in legislative work, bettering the lives of Texans across the state.
Great experience.
Legislative Policy Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 17, 2017
I loved the work and people. Definitely need to enjoy reading and writing -- or at least be willing to do it -- but it's a place that gives your life purpose.
Great
Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 13, 2017
Great... It was a phenomenal experience to work at the State's Capitol and help pass laws. I enjoyed working for the constituents of both Galveston and Chambers Counties.
Fast Paced
DISTRICT DIRECTOR FOR THE 27TH DISTRICT (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXNovember 9, 2017
This is a career that will require constant availability. From morning to morning you phone must be accessible to provide solution to state-wide issues.
Pros
Fast-Paced
Cons
Fast-Paced
Great learning experience for interns
Communications Intern (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 19, 2017
Interning at the Texas House of Representative is a great way to learn and understand the legislative process within the Texas State Capitol as well as networking with other elected officials.
Fast-paced, exciting, usually temporary
Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 6, 2017
Most jobs in the legislature only exist for 140 days every two years, but it's an incredible 140 days. It is a true test in prioritization and multitasking; you have to be ready for anything and need to keep up with what's happening on the House or Senate floor, as you juggle constituent services and policy analysis. It's an incredible learning opportunity, but you have to be careful not to fall behind. It can be overwhelming, but it's easier if you're on a good team. I wish everyone could work here for one session.
Pros
Some free lunches, learning opportunities, job satisfaction
Cons
Long days/nights, few breaks, intense pace and pressure
A great place to work.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 20, 2017
Fast-paced work environment. Session provides an opportunity to see the inner workings of our legislative system. Friendly offices, but potentially long working hours on certain dates.
A good place to begin or end, not for the long haul
Photographer (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 20, 2017
It's politics, if you like politics then you should be good. However be prepared to not be challenged or have any performance reviews. Very lax environment
Pros
lots of state holidays
Cons
no performance reviews, seems like a lot of people just waiting to retire
Intern
Legislative Intern (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 17, 2017
One of the most fun jobs I have had or will ever have. Meeting with lobbyists. Working late. Helping people. It was all worth it. Go call your local congress person and work as an intern for a year.
Depends on who you work for
Legislative Aide (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 5, 2017
I had a great experience but worked for a state representative, not a support office. I was able to negotiate my position and its requirements. Session was fast and competitive
Pros
Unique experience, choice of who you work for
Cons
Time consuming, stressful
Long hours and no time for a personal life
Chief of Staff (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2017
You must be very committed to everyone, not including yourself. The needs of others is most important. 12-16 hour days and those days include everyday of the week.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
No time for a healthy life
It's all just temporary
Audio Video Technician II (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 13, 2017
Was brought on for only 6 months when I started. Knew this from the very beginning. It is a very interesting job to work, to say the least. Saw "how the cheese was made" and not sure I am really impressed by our government. Overall, made a few good friends that will last for a lifetime.
Pros
learned personal intelligence and work-life balance
Cons
schedule conflicts
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 20, 2017
Texas House of Representative was a place that issued background checks for new employees who were being hired to work for a Senator or a State Representative.
Pros
Meeting People
Cons
Giving tours of the Capitol Dome to guess
Productive and professional place to work
Legislative Aide (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXApril 13, 2017
This is a rewarding position as your work directly affects the community. Each case you work can provide positive outcomes for the constituent or constituents.
great experience working with the state
Legislative Aide (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 27, 2016
its a great experience to work with the state, you get a understanding of how legislation is formed and passed. high recommend to any student or intern.
Intern Experience
Intern/Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 3, 2016
I worked as an intern for one of the State Representatives. The environment is very professional and everyone is very nice. My duties were fairly simple and I enjoyed the experience very much. There are numerous connections to be made at the Capitol.