Texas Juvenile Justice Department Employee Reviews

Ok job
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Mart, TXOctober 12, 2018
Good pay, but the people are rude!THey only care about the Job, not your life. If you have kids think before choosing this job. I had a good time , then I’ve had bad times. The youth aren’t the problem it’s the co workers.
hire better managers
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Mart, TXOctober 6, 2018
Poor management
Lots of discrimination towards caucasians
advancements and promotions are based on the buddy system-not work experience
training and assistance to do this job effectively is obsolete
Pros
good benefits
Cons
very racist
Very negative environment
Juvenile Correctional Officer V (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXSeptember 26, 2018
Went to work everyday with Juveniles who were allowed to do just about anything they wanted with no consequences. Assaulted on many occasions with little to no punishment. Management didn't care about anything but you being at work so they did not have to lift a finger. The only enjoyable parts of the jobs were co-workers who went through the same stuff and time to get off.
Pros
Lunch staff who really cared about staff. Good benefits.
Cons
Earned time off, but could never use it. Short staffed forever.
Working with youth to transition back into their communities
Parole Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Great company to work for if you enjoy working with and for today's youth. Must be open to change and willing to learn about the trauma our youth have dealt with in order to better understand them.
fast pace enviroment
CERTIFEID CORRECTIONS OFFICER FOR YOUTH (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXSeptember 14, 2018
working with highly assaultive teens on a 16 hours schedule that is followed everyday. The youth do attend school and they can call home on certain days and they receive medications and medical care.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
busy schedule and can get hurt
Mostly Great People, Not So Great Uppers
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXSeptember 14, 2018
I worked at TJJD for almost 10 years. I maxed out at my current position and stayed at my stagnant pay scale for 8 years. They do not give raises or bonuses. You earn paid time off but barely get to use it. Typical day includes dealing with kids who have major behavior problems. Some supervisors will hold them accountable while others sweep stuff under the rug. Lack of communication. Employees that were on the same level as myself, we all got along. The supervisors are not great people. Very judgmental and a little racist.
Pros
Off Random Holidays with Pay
Cons
Management, Sneaky People, Low pay
OK work
Investigator V (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 6, 2018
They promote people from the past who don't have an open-minded to how to change protocol. They are stuck on that's the way we have always done it so why change it.
Pros
fun events
Cons
management
Great job only if you want it to be
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Giddings, TXAugust 21, 2018
The kids are spoiled out of control brats and the state is doing nothing to change that. This job is great if you want to babysit little gangster wannabes. You can’t really make a difference in there lives however because your hands are basically tied by the beauracrats in Austin.
Pros
Lots of state benifits
Cons
Meaningless work
Political
JCO1 (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 5, 2018
If you didn't know or kiss butt to your supervisor, you will not climb the ladder. Other staff too scared to speak up. Everybody pointing fingers at each other and not wanting to accept there own mistakes.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Too much gossip
Not a good employment experience
Crime Analyst-Background Investigator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2018
No support from management
Work environment unhealthy and unsafe
No room for advancement unless you are a "chosen one"
Hostile work environment in most divisions
This place takes a special type of person
Corrections Officer IV-V (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXMay 19, 2018
A typical day was watching youth and moving them to their daily activities for the day. Playing counselor between youth and staff at times. You will have to make sure you watch your back when it come to staff they will talk mess about you to youth which make for a long shift. I did enjoy working their helping the youth and knowing you may make a difference in someone life. I personally know I have some of the girls kept in touch with me when they were released. Some supervisors are great but then you have lazy superiors and staff that will throw you under the bus if you stand up to them. There are a lot of clicks with staff which is crazy because that is a kids thing I thought. Be prepared to restrain or cut a ligature off a kids neck in a moment of time.
Pros
Working with the youth
Cons
Management, no breaks, having to work 12 hrs shift because staff don't want to come to work, having to put your family on hold for this company
I loved my job at TJJD
Regional Parole Supervisor (Former Employee) –  DFW, TXMay 16, 2018
State Employment was best for me. I began working for the state in 1989 and retired from the state in 2017. I began as a Parole Officer and was the Regional Manager when I retired in 2017.
Stressful and not supportive
Juvenile Correctional Officer IV (Former Employee) –  Giddings, TXApril 8, 2018
Not only do the youths stress you out but the staff as well. They're not very supportive, make assumptions and talk behind your back. This goes for administration and higher ranking officers as well. Youths also get away with a lot out there, while staff suffer from false allegations. Youths are not held accountable. If you are promoted, dont expect your Dorm Supervisor or JCO VI to help you out, you have to rely on other busy JCO's to help you learn your job. There are also a lot of call ins and other staff have to pick up the shift, and those who called in very rarely are held accountable. It's not worth all the stress you're put through.
Pros
Discounts, pay and healthcare
Cons
Not supportive, backstabbing, call ins, all of a sudden shifts, youths get away with a lot
Difficult Job
Correctional Officer III (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXApril 1, 2018
Long Hours, Constant overtime, high turnover. All male youth facility, Training is provided for new hires. It is sometime difficult to get off on time
Cons
Constant over time
Job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mart, TXMarch 20, 2018
Provided overall leadership, administration and direction for Office of the Superintendent. Served as principal contact for the entire facility. SME on department policy related to case management, counseling, behavior management, and developed and implemented staff training. Directed all program management support and administrative activities, including program operations and design, financial management, contract and interagency agreement review and administration, cooperative agreements and grants management, procurement, and program support.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
staff culture bad
workplace culture
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mart, TXMarch 12, 2018
Reduction in force should not be done for jobs but seniority should be given ore priority at positions. Feel other job could have been reduced in other areas but were not.
Pros
better than most place with people
Cons
unable to go up in career ladder
Busy Busy Busy
Juvenile Correction Office IV (Current Employee) –  Giddings, TXMarch 1, 2018
Changes on a daily basis never know what to expect. Very busy on a daily basis. Can be stressful but, it's what you make of it. Just do your job and go home.
Pros
Free lunches, great benefits
Cons
n/a
Stressful
Juvenile Justice Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Giddings, TXFebruary 12, 2018
Forced overtime and you have to stay. Working with convicted juveniles is not a job for the faint at heart. You must be strong physically and mentally to stay and make a career out of it.
Being a case manager was a new and enlightening experience.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXFebruary 10, 2018
I worked overtime and did work at home. I knew how to manage my time however the day before my promotion I was let go as with out due to having a "no show". I tried to fight it as the new schedule was sent out after I worked my 40 hours that thursday.
Pros
Working with juveniles/youth helped my learn patience and underlying issues.
Cons
Case managers did not get paid overtime.
Wouldn't recommend it
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXFebruary 5, 2018
The main issue is the other employees, the kids are troubled youth so that's expected. Stressful environment, decent pay, but the 12 hour shifts are ok. Family time is gone, personal life gets spread to everyone.