Texas Juvenile Justice Department Employee Reviews

Rewarding yet stressful
JCO II (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXNovember 15, 2018
My experience was very rewarding with the progress I witnessed compared to when I began. There is a certain approach you need to get through to these kids and I'm thankful to have changed a few lives just by listening, enforcing policy, modeling positive behavior, and caring about these juveniles as a JCO. This job is more of a commitment to rehabilitate these youth, so if you have the time and want to change lives, this is the job for you.
Pros
Rewarding, great benefits, entry level experience
Cons
Stressful, dangerous, time consuming
Great Employees locally
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXNovember 10, 2018
Work life balance is not good tons of overtime. The money is good. Local administration cares about the staff. they work well with everybody. The Executives from Austin are very out of touch with facility life.
Pros
The money is good
Cons
Work life balance is not good
working for Evans Juvenile Justice Department
Juvenile Correction Office (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXNovember 3, 2018
- a typical day at work was always long and enjoyable
- I learned how to manage and control situations when in a hostile situation.
- management wasn't always available to approve work related tools or needed materials for on duty work but when an emergency situation occurred proper supervision was on site ASAP
-workplace culture, working throughout the facility wither in dorm, driving through out facility to insure proper security of the general location, or station in a control center.
-the hardest part of the job, paper work
- the most enjoyable part of the job was walking our of the facility knowing you completed your shift and knowing nobody was injured.
Very stressed,. And dangerous.
Juvenile Correctional Officer IV (Former Employee) –  Giddings, TXOctober 23, 2018
Often this job comes with lots of stressful situations, and often very dangerous situations. Always breaking up fights among the students and sometimes having to listen to very vulgar language.
Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
Stressed.
The management and human resources suck need brand new people
Jco (Former Employee) –  Mart txOctober 20, 2018
Tjjd mart needs brand new management and and a brand new human resource department the entire facility is trash. it's too much too much could explain in person
Poor moral and politics
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXOctober 14, 2018
Never have I worked so hard for so little compensation. Others received the perks of my hard work. I would work hard for the little money I was paid which was once a month so get ready for starving in between checks!
Pros
good group of guys
Cons
horrible compensation
Ok job
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Mart, TXOctober 12, 2018
Good pay, but the people are rude!THey only care about the Job, not your life. If you have kids think before choosing this job. I had a good time , then I’ve had bad times. The youth aren’t the problem it’s the co workers.
hire better managers
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Mart, TXOctober 6, 2018
Poor management
Lots of discrimination towards caucasians
advancements and promotions are based on the buddy system-not work experience
training and assistance to do this job effectively is obsolete
Pros
good benefits
Cons
very racist
Very negative environment
Juvenile Correctional Officer V (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXSeptember 26, 2018
Went to work everyday with Juveniles who were allowed to do just about anything they wanted with no consequences. Assaulted on many occasions with little to no punishment. Management didn't care about anything but you being at work so they did not have to lift a finger. The only enjoyable parts of the jobs were co-workers who went through the same stuff and time to get off.
Pros
Lunch staff who really cared about staff. Good benefits.
Cons
Earned time off, but could never use it. Short staffed forever.
Working with youth to transition back into their communities
Parole Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Great company to work for if you enjoy working with and for today's youth. Must be open to change and willing to learn about the trauma our youth have dealt with in order to better understand them.

Want to know more about Texas Juvenile Justice Department?

Ask a question
fast pace enviroment
CERTIFEID CORRECTIONS OFFICER FOR YOUTH (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXSeptember 14, 2018
working with highly assaultive teens on a 16 hours schedule that is followed everyday. The youth do attend school and they can call home on certain days and they receive medications and medical care.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
busy schedule and can get hurt
Mostly Great People, Not So Great Uppers
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXSeptember 14, 2018
I worked at TJJD for almost 10 years. I maxed out at my current position and stayed at my stagnant pay scale for 8 years. They do not give raises or bonuses. You earn paid time off but barely get to use it. Typical day includes dealing with kids who have major behavior problems. Some supervisors will hold them accountable while others sweep stuff under the rug. Lack of communication. Employees that were on the same level as myself, we all got along. The supervisors are not great people. Very judgmental and a little racist.
Pros
Off Random Holidays with Pay
Cons
Management, Sneaky People, Low pay
OK work
Investigator V (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 6, 2018
They promote people from the past who don't have an open-minded to how to change protocol. They are stuck on that's the way we have always done it so why change it.
Pros
fun events
Cons
management
Great job only if you want it to be
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Giddings, TXAugust 21, 2018
The kids are spoiled out of control brats and the state is doing nothing to change that. This job is great if you want to babysit little gangster wannabes. You can’t really make a difference in there lives however because your hands are basically tied by the beauracrats in Austin.
Pros
Lots of state benifits
Cons
Meaningless work
Great Job
Regional Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 27, 2018
Job is very satisfying because I feel like I am making a difference in the lives of children. The staff is great and leadership really listens to the employees
Pros
supportive management
Political
JCO1 (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 5, 2018
If you didn't know or kiss butt to your supervisor, you will not climb the ladder. Other staff too scared to speak up. Everybody pointing fingers at each other and not wanting to accept there own mistakes.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Too much gossip
not a fun place to work
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Mart, TXJune 27, 2018
Working here was not safe. The management didnt really care about the workers only the inmates. The pay was good, the overtime was good as well. the hard part about this job was getting the inmates to behave and having other employees to back you up/.
Pros
free food
Cons
no breaks
Not a good employment experience
Crime Analyst-Background Investigator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2018
No support from management
Work environment unhealthy and unsafe
No room for advancement unless you are a "chosen one"
Hostile work environment in most divisions
This place takes a special type of person
Corrections Officer IV-V (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXMay 19, 2018
A typical day was watching youth and moving them to their daily activities for the day. Playing counselor between youth and staff at times. You will have to make sure you watch your back when it come to staff they will talk mess about you to youth which make for a long shift. I did enjoy working their helping the youth and knowing you may make a difference in someone life. I personally know I have some of the girls kept in touch with me when they were released. Some supervisors are great but then you have lazy superiors and staff that will throw you under the bus if you stand up to them. There are a lot of clicks with staff which is crazy because that is a kids thing I thought. Be prepared to restrain or cut a ligature off a kids neck in a moment of time.
Pros
Working with the youth
Cons
Management, no breaks, having to work 12 hrs shift because staff don't want to come to work, having to put your family on hold for this company
I loved my job at TJJD
Regional Parole Supervisor (Former Employee) –  DFW, TXMay 16, 2018
State Employment was best for me. I began working for the state in 1989 and retired from the state in 2017. I began as a Parole Officer and was the Regional Manager when I retired in 2017.