Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Employee Reviews

Fun job for people who like being outside
park ranger 1 (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXAugust 10, 2018
Very Low pay and Good Ole boy community when it comes to promotions, the office team did not create a good work environment for everyone and the park attendees who were supposed to be seasonal were not, they were kept for years and that did not allow for any other people interested in being park attendants not possible. Management character was horrible but no disciplinary actions were ever taken.
Pros
being outside
Cons
if your not in their click, your not going to survive there
Fun job, great people, poor management
FISH AND WILDLIFE TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 3, 2018
I loved my job. It was mostly fun, great co-workers. The only drawback was poor management. Hardest part was harvesting ponds at midnight. Most enjoyable part was stocking fish by boat.
Pros
Only 40 hours a week
Cons
Monthly pay
fun and informative
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Monahans, TXJune 26, 2018
On a daily basis, you will always learn something new about Texas Parks and Wildlife. You always get to meet people from all over the world. Each park in Texas is unique and there is always something new to learn and experience.
Pros
Meeting new customers, many from far away countries. Observing wildlife.
Cons
staff shortage
Easy yet no advancement
Maintenance Specialist III (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 22, 2018
Easy work but no way to advance. Never get raises period no matter who you are or what you do. The good is that it is super easy work but very little pay makes it not worth it. Can make more money flipping burgers.
review
Purchasing & Contracting Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 7, 2018
Good job, flexible hours, for the most part, good benefits, good training opportunities. Government job. security. Bad commute (Austin traffic sucks).
Cons
bad traffic
productive and fun place to work
Fish and wildlife technician I (Former Employee) –  Van Horn, TXJune 5, 2018
Enjoyable and outstanding place to work for. I spent 3 months working for the distric 1 in region 1 and everybody was nice to me. They had a lot of opportunities to be part of.
Laid Back
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 26, 2018
Easy Job, Great Coworkers and Supervisors. Duties were easy to accomplish and usually without supervision. Customers were friendly and environment very relaxing.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Low pay
LE Dispatch
Police Communications Operator III (Current Employee) –  La Porte, TX 77571April 26, 2018
The supervisor over communications discriminates, retaliates and creates a hostile work environment. When you report serious incidents of policy violations, this agency ignores and retaliates against it's employees. The senior LE management is a joke and does not care about it's own employees. All the money within the LE division is sent to special operations but only if you are a game warden. Senior management within LE has it's own agenda which does not include non-commission or administrative support employees.
When you report unlawful violations to HR, they take the information to senior management within the division and it is then ignored. There is absolutely no follow-up.
Pros
Game Wardens and Park Peace Officers in the Field
Cons
Senior Management within LE and HR
Work while everyone else plays
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 24, 2018
Demanding in the sense that you will need to put work before family and yourself quite often. Great work locations with heavy interaction with the public.
Pros
State Employee
Cons
State Employee
TPWD is Mission Focused
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 10, 2018
TPWD is a terrific place to work. I was a proud and focused employee and supported 100% to be successful in my role. Everyone is friendly, and mission-focused.
Quick paced environment
Texas Game Warden (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 28, 2018
The job requires flexibility and an ability to adapt to changing situations. Hours can be long and you are on call at all hours. Lots of training available.
Pass the Park Ranger position up go Game Warden
Park Police Officer/Park Ranger (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 20, 2018
If you are a seasoned law enforcement officer I would not recommend any law enforcement job with parks. The Game Warden position is the only job I would recommend. They are treated better and they are paid better. The parks are law enforcement in name only. You can and will be fired for anything. You are at will and they mean it. Anything that is political or unpopular with the upper ranks will get you fired. They question officer discretion. The upper ranks are a bunch of people with little to no street experience.
Pros
Other Park Rangers, Game Wardens
Cons
too easy to get fired
Fun place to work
Accountant VI (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 6, 2018
With all of the nature elements in one spot any job there is enjoyable. You can learn everything from natural and cultural resources to fishing and hunting.
Wonderful place to work
Pollution Biologist (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXFebruary 13, 2018
The pay, benefits, and time off were all pros. I appreciated and respected both of my supervisors. My co-workers were extremely supportive. I was very happy there.
Great Place to Intern
Intern for the Habitat Assessment Team (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, TXJanuary 12, 2018
I had an exciting summer interning for TPWD. Most days I was learning the ins and outs of a government agency and weekly I went out on one or two sampling trips to learn how to use the equipment and familiarize myself with their scientific procedures.
Very Poor Management
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2018
Management allows nepotism and favoritism. Her favorites can take time off and come to work late and leave early daily without using any leave. Unbalanced work loads and constant contradictions. Management and coworkers talk down about other coworkers daily within their clicks. You have to fake it to avoid being on their bad list all while trying to do your job. Looking to move on.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Treated unfairly....poor management!
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2018
Nepotism was allowed in the Financial Resources Division. Personal relationships were brought into the workplace which effected management decisions. Was treated unfairly by management mainly because Purchasing Manager would not confront issued within the department.
Pros
Decent pay and retirement.
Cons
No raises or bonuses given for hard work.
co workers like family
Payroll Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 28, 2017
I enjoyed my time there. This was my first job in payroll. I learned a lot from my managers. It was a fun fast paced position. I was delighted to serve the full time and seasonal workers with payroll needs.
Pros
good work conditions
Cons
pay
Great State Employer, fun, educational and professional environment.
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Falcon Heights, TXDecember 22, 2017
I loved my job and all that it entailed. I decided to relocate due to personal circumstances, but if it had not been for that I'd probably still be there. Everything was awesome about TPWD.
Pros
Job duties were attainable and there was always opportunity to advance
Cons
Good place to work if you like being outdoors most days
iSnapper Technician/Contract Worker (Former Employee) –  Palacios, TXDecember 21, 2017
Working for Texas Parks & Wildlife has a variety of benefits and allows you to learn a lot about our bays and estuaries. This is a great state agency to work for.