Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Employee Reviews

High Expectations
Summer Internship (Former Employee) –  Canadian, TXFebruary 26, 2019
Every day was fairly easy, but we were expected to work hard. We needed to be sure to get our tasks done and to try to complete as much in one day as possible.
Calm and Helpful work environment
Wildlife Technician (Former Employee) –  Dalhart, TXFebruary 21, 2019
Most of my work was done independently. A typical work day varied on how busy it was depending on the number of hunters that came through each day. Slow days could be very slow with no one showing up but when people did it became a very enjoyable job.
Pros
Independent work environment
Cons
Days could be a bit slow.
Lean environment with heavy work load
Training Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2019
No advancement opportunities. Salary increases dependent on State Legislation for cost of living adjustments.Very hard-working people focused on the mission of the Agency.
Overall its a Job
Accountant I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 20, 2019
overall good job but, no one is an equal. People have their own clicks per division. The only time that people are people are during child sponsored events and Christmas party.
Management in most departments snub their noses at less qualified.
Ok place to work
Contract Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 22, 2018
Enjoyed it here. Learned a lot about state government. Self-funded and provide great services to the state of Texas. Buy a Parks pass. You won't regret it. Best deal there is.
Pros
Ok place to work
Cons
Contract ended
Ridiculously competitive (fisheries)
Fisheries (Former Employee) –  DFW, TXOctober 24, 2018
I have worked temporary jobs with TPWD and have volunteered with them for years. I don't know about the other departments, but Inland and Coastal Fisheries are the most insanely competitive fields I have ever tried to get into. I have volunteered countless hours and tried to make it in (almost 10 interviews), to no avail. If you are wondering, yes, I was a good employee and received good ratings from my supervisors.
Unless you are dead-set on obtaining a TPWD job and have tons of experience and connections, I wouldn't waste your time.
As far as management goes, it can be hit or miss. Since it is so competitive, nobody leaves (and it's impossible to get fired), so you could be stuck with a great or terrible supervisor.
Also, temporary employees may not get the perks the permanent employees do, and the HR department is the worst I have ever heard of.
If you do make it in, it can be a really fun and rewarding job.

Summary: if you can get in (have tons of prior experience) and know you'll have a good team to work with, go for it.
If you love not hearing back from hiring managers after interviews even after driving 20+ hours for these interviews (this was not just one occasion), or volunteering with them personally, then apply. Just don't get surprised if you never hear a thing.
Something always new
State Park Superintendent/Park Police (Current Employee) –  Centerville, TXOctober 18, 2018
This job allowed for new adventures daily. If you are willing to relocate working for TPWD is great. Compensation needs to increase, but co-workers and location are a plus.
Pros
Remote loactions
Cons
Spread out across Texas
Intern and loved it
Alligator Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXOctober 14, 2018
I worked at a WMA over the summer and absolutely loved it. I am trying to get on full-time with TPWD, however, it is a highly sought-after career and is very competitive.
Stressful
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXOctober 13, 2018
My Captain was the best boss I ever worked for. Loved working for the department but my coworkers were not pleasant to work with. Most days were very stressful due to one being prejudice.
Park Police needs improvement
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 2, 2018
I served as a State Park Police Officer for over 7 years at 3 different locations the last one being a park in North Texas. Officers generally get one time training in police scenarios which rarely happen and though it is good training, it is not frequent enough. Since those situations are rare, an officer finds it harder to keep his/her skills sharp. This isn't the only problem. At my last park, my supervisors criticized me for nitpicky techniques and lied to my face about what I was doing wrong. I didn't realize until months after I was forced to resign that I had been had.
Pros
working outside
Cons
clique trend in some parks
Great
Certified Archery Instructor (Current Employee) –  Archery techAugust 28, 2018
Ability to work outdoors and enjoy mother nature at its finest amazimg and beautiful areas in the state of texas. Texas Parks & Wildlife are what keeps Texas So beautiful
Low-stress workplace
GIS Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 27, 2018
great benefits, small gym onsite, low-stress and slow-paced environment, generous with additional days off around the holidays, but difficult to get promotions or raises
Fun job for people who like being outside
park ranger 1 (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXAugust 10, 2018
Very Low pay and Good Ole boy community when it comes to promotions, the office team did not create a good work environment for everyone and the park attendees who were supposed to be seasonal were not, they were kept for years and that did not allow for any other people interested in being park attendants not possible. Management character was horrible but no disciplinary actions were ever taken.
Pros
being outside
Cons
if your not in their click, your not going to survive there
Great place and environment to work in
Administrative Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 4, 2018
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department was a great place to work at. As an employee, administrative staff, there was always something "new" to learn. Regulations/Laws were always changing on a quarterly basis. Conferences and meetings always offered to keep staff up-to-date on upcoming new programs or paperwork.
Pros
Felixible schedule
Cons
Advancement only when an employee quit/resigned
Fun job, great people, poor management
FISH AND WILDLIFE TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 3, 2018
I loved my job. It was mostly fun, great co-workers. The only drawback was poor management. Hardest part was harvesting ponds at midnight. Most enjoyable part was stocking fish by boat.
Pros
Only 40 hours a week
Cons
Monthly pay
fun and informative
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Monahans, TXJune 26, 2018
On a daily basis, you will always learn something new about Texas Parks and Wildlife. You always get to meet people from all over the world. Each park in Texas is unique and there is always something new to learn and experience.
Pros
Meeting new customers, many from far away countries. Observing wildlife.
Cons
staff shortage
Easy yet no advancement
Maintenance Specialist III (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 22, 2018
Easy work but no way to advance. Never get raises period no matter who you are or what you do. The good is that it is super easy work but very little pay makes it not worth it. Can make more money flipping burgers.
review
Purchasing & Contracting Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 7, 2018
Good job, flexible hours, for the most part, good benefits, good training opportunities. Government job. security. Bad commute (Austin traffic sucks).
Cons
bad traffic
productive and fun place to work
Fish and wildlife technician I (Former Employee) –  Van Horn, TXJune 5, 2018
Enjoyable and outstanding place to work for. I spent 3 months working for the distric 1 in region 1 and everybody was nice to me. They had a lot of opportunities to be part of.
Laid Back
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 26, 2018
Easy Job, Great Coworkers and Supervisors. Duties were easy to accomplish and usually without supervision. Customers were friendly and environment very relaxing.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Low pay