TEXAS SENATE Employee Reviews

Great Environment
Legislative Aide (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 21, 2018
I worked as a Legislative Aide in a Senate office in the 85th Legislative Session. I gained organizational skills, research and analysis experience, and of course familiarity with the legislative process. My managers were extremely helpful and accommodating, creating a comfortable work environment. This job was an extremely rewarding experience.
Texas Senate
Analyst, Texas Senate Committee (Former Employee) –  Senate, TXJanuary 8, 2018
The Texas Senate is a meat grinder of an opportunity to get deep on practicalities of state governance and the intricacies of the democratic process. Sadly it is also the place where dreams go to die.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
brutal
Fast paced and interesting
Policy Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 9, 2017
Very long hours during session, and constantly evolving deliverables. Great culture with a lot of occasion for professional socializing, and relatively incestuous hiring practices.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Aide (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 14, 2017
I was an administrative assistant for several years while attending UT. This was an extremely rewarding and enjoyable position. The overall experience of being a part of the legislative process was quite enjoyable.
Good Enough for Government Work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 4, 2017
Deeply conservative and risk-averse institution. Lovely people doing their best in a Kafkaesque labyrinth of grey cubicles for the good people of Texas.
Great People
Senate Messenger (Current Employee) –  Senate, TXMay 16, 2017
It is fast paced during session but the people are great. Worth the low pay if you are looking for experience in government, or work experience in general.
Productive and lively place with great debate and opinions
Sergeant-at-Arms (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 20, 2016
Working at the Capital was an amazing and enlightening experince. It was great to see the process of bills passing into law or failing to pass into law. In govenrment things can get hectic and beuracatic and at times so many people are involved in decisions that it can feel like getting spun aound and told to walk. Despite all that I enjoyed my experience and met a many of great people. I also learned, from great supervisors, how to lead and direct others and how to to work with and handle fellow employees in a professional and friendly manner.
Pros
Great People, Interesting Events
Cons
Hectic Schedule, Beuracratic Red Tape
Government Job
Messenger (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 29, 2015
I had to interact with senators. It was fun and intense. Must wear formal business clothing, be able to walk for hours without sitting down
Office Manager & Executive Assistant in a fast paced, stressful environment.
CONCIERGE SERVICES & MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 2, 2015
Managed vendors and staff, coordinated events, drafted legislative and personal correspondence for a high-profile principal in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. Specific skills and accomplishments include: knowing how to prioritize, balance, and schedule competing requests; event and travel logistics for personal, political, and professional engagements; personalized concierge services for high-profile individuals.
Hard work
Chief of Staff, Senator Judith Zaffirini (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasJuly 17, 2015
The Texas Senate requires a dedicated staff. During session, one may work 20 hours a day, seven days a week. The extent to which you can help people is amazing and you are always on the cusp of history making decisions.
Pros
Importance.
Cons
So very hard.
Basic review for a basic job
Legal Editor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 18, 2015
I've really enjoyed the chance to work in the public sector and learn what editing means in the legal world.

The management is really good; very relatable, high standards, but not unreasonably so.
Senate messenger
Senate Messenger (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 28, 2015
Great place to work. opportunity of a lifetime. Low pay but invaluable experience.
A great place to learn about the Government of Texas
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 13, 2014
Helping people on a daily basis has been the most enjoyable part of my job.
Learned a lot about Legislative Procedure
Administrative Technician II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 18, 2013
It was great to work with the Texas Senate. I had a wonderful experience applying the skills I received earning my undergraduate degree in the workplace.
Exciting environment with the opportunity to meet new people
Assistant Sergeant-At-Arms (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 16, 2013
Often worked long hours preparing bills for senators to reference during the legislative session. Prepared the chamber for session each day. I stood in on and recorded events during committee hearings. I was often thrust into unpredictable environments and required to think on my feet to maintain order in the senate visitors' gallery. I learned to work as a member of a nine person team. Quick and accurate communication was required to assess problems and handle them accordingly. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to meet all sorts of new people and interact with senators, lobbyists, and experts in the fields of education, law, and labor.
Pros
Meeting people, prestigious environment
Cons
Low pay
Excellent work environment; support personnel
District Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 1, 2012
I learned a lot about state government, the legislative process, campaigns, constituents.
Pros
excellent support network
Cons
n/a
Awesome Job
Gregory Luna Scholar (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 26, 2012
Excellent legislative experience. I learned a lot about the legislative process and the necessity of working with others to collaboratively work through problems.
Exciting place to work
Assistant Sergeant at Arms (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 15, 2011
Working with the Sergeant at Arms for the Texas Senate was an exciting and enlightening job. It was only temporary employment, however I feel as though I learned a great deal in those few months of my employment there. It was very interesting to see the Legislature in action.
Pros
getting to see the legislature in action, free lunches and snacks on occasion
Cons
never knew how your day would play out.