Texas Southern University Employee Reviews

Nice place
Assistant to Executive Director of Advancement (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 2, 2018
Helped me through college I was learned how to work with others as well as build teams. I also learn time management organization as well communication.
Pros
Helped pay for books
Cons
Not enough hours
Fair Place to work in
Student Academic Support Services (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 30, 2018
Worked in SASS for 3 years with no increase in pay not even a cent. They have a good management team but they have a bias mind against africans in general.
Its a great workplace for students still enrolled in college
Administration Assistant/ Work Study (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 21, 2018
Limited hour to 20 hours max per week. Although it balances out with my school schedule and makes thing less overwhelming but we don't get benefits and the pay max is 10 dollars. I wish I can work more to make more money and get benefits.
Pros
Flexable scheduale
Cons
No Benefits
Higher education environment that supported teaching and research
Director of Field Experiences and Clinical Pratice (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasMarch 15, 2018
As a higher education institution, working with a population of non-traditional students was a wonderful learning experience. There are opportunities for advancement both as a faculty member as well as an administrator. The opportunity to enable persons to achieve their deferred dreams is gratifying and allows one to be proud of empowering others. The collaboration with public school personnel, national and state educators afforded individual growth as well as the growth of students. One of the most gratifying experiences of education is the observation of individuals as they gain self-efficacy through your involvement in manipulating a learner's external environment to empower them to be not like the teacher but better than the teacher!
Cons
Limited resources, state funded institution, stressful having to produce with limited funds
University in a crisis due to top management at the time
Work Study Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 6, 2018
Extremely rewarding experience. Even though it was hard work, I enjoyed the challenges (which were always met) and was proud to be a part of the University's Work-Study student payroll system, which was developed during my tenure there.

A typical day at work - very fast paced.
What I learned - enhanced my presentation skills as I had to provide orientation for over 400 work-study students, faculty, and potential employers, on/off campus, per academic year.

The workplace culture - collaborative

The hardest part of the job was to get the payroll generated for all work-study students when they wouldn't get their information submitted on-time; it would be difficult, but necessary to meet the University's payroll cut-off time; however, the challenge was always met with success!

The most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere of learning and achievement that permeated throughout the campus.
Pros
Learning atmosphere - very positive
Cons
Shortfalls due to upper managment
ok work place
Police Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 5, 2018
fast pace/ n/a
there is nothing else to say
My job is pretty rountine and fast pace
This all I can say
There is no hard part everyone is trained
Pros
parking perks/ free
Cons
understaff
Very good
Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 2, 2018
VERY GOOD
Texas Southern Office of information Technology is a very great place to work. The people are very professional and focused. its also a friendly environment.
Creative,intellectual enjoyable environment
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 16, 2018
I enjoyed interacting with the students,staff and faculty as well as the community and corporate representatives who were part of the university support engine. Did not always enjoy the required late night and weekend meetings.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the students, staff and community groups
Cons
pay was not in line with the work being done.
Fast-Paced/Competitive Work Environment
Director (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 20, 2018
There is always room for improvement.

Typical day might start at 8 am and end at 8pm.

Education is competitive; therefore, if you work in enrollment, competition is a major component.
Productive.
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 20, 2018
Served as a mentor and adviser for 18 first year students. Worked with other resident assistants to develop a successful hall community. Utilized organizational and public speaking skills to create and present hall programs to educate residents about critical issues. Developed mediation and conflict resolution skills. Enforced University policy.
Pros
Free Housing and Lunch
Cons
on call all the time/
I enjoyed working at TSU
Manager-Research Lab (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2018
During my time at T.S.U. I had many jobs (not at the same time), I was able to teach as well as manage (the research labs that I was involved in), I as able to work with research animals as well. So I was able to acquire a variety of experiences.
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 12, 2018
Great place to work. Nice atmosphere. Great co-workers and students. A typical day consists of teaching courses and meeting with students. I teach four courses.
Great environment that serves as a benefit to the working-class college student.
Postmaster Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my tenure in the postal office at Texas Southern University. Management was phenomenal, and the job was extremely flexible. The contract for the job expired, and I was led to pursue another opportunity.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
lack of hours due to my strenuous school schedule
Fun workplace
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2018
although it was a intern school base job it was fun and worth the experience. I got a chance to gain a lot about the workplace and learn new skills and job trade.
Pros
work between classes
Cons
no benefits
Great Experience for All
Student (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 1, 2018
Being a professional student at Texas Southern University was motivational for me and should be experienced by all. There are many areas of study and extracurricular activities available there as well.
Pros
You have the opportunity to socialize with people from all over the world
Cons
Low graduation rate
Safety of students to organic pollutants
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Organic chemistry labDecember 25, 2017
Nice working place with a lot of attention to safety & health of the students. Chemical preparation for lab use twice a week and inventory of lab's chemical for students and researches.
Pros
safety knowledge of organic chemicals
Cons
No health insurance
Productive with relaxed and fun supervisor
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 20, 2017
Lots of fun. We ahd a lot of get-to-gethers, free Friday snacks. Typically, the day was relaxed as we had a good supervisor. At the end of the day, we would have the work done, but with a happy stature.
Great experience
English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 16, 2017
Working at Texas Southern University afforded me the opportunity to employ my professional expertise to help students at the college level with grasping concepts and skill in English.
Pros
Positive experience
Cons
I had relocate
Internship
Staff Writer and Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 16, 2017
This was not a paid position. I interned here. I attended school at TSU and minored in Journalism. This was a great way to prepare me and sharpen work ethics after graduation.
Pros
great experience and preperation for working.
Fine
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2017
It was just an internship for some research on your own. I just basically worked on my own the whole time. My supervisor or mentor was out of town the whole time. Everything was ok.