Texas Southmost College Employee Reviews

Courses
Master Technical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXSeptember 15, 2018
I enjoyed teaching all the Child Care and Development courses.
I had all my the courses aligned with the course objectives and student learning outcome. I was extremely happy when I would go off campus to observe the students at their child care sites. This would allow me to better understand the needs of the CDEC students. I liked off campus events in which the CDEC students would participate. I did this for over thirty-years.
Pros
School events
Cons
Insurance
Good part-time job
MLT program Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 30, 2018
If you are a student it is a good part time job. It depends where you are tutoring sometimes you'll have slow days and other days you'll have a very busy day.
Protuctive
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 25, 2018
Just like any day going to school, some kids know the subject like nothing and others dont. well i was that person that comes in need to help out however. It feels great helping out one another.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
short amount of hours
Productive Work Place
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 24, 2018
Great atmosphere & great place to work at. Many challenges & opportunities, but I just finished with my MBA porgram & want to move on to a more challenging & productive job.
Management Improvement Greatly Needed
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 7, 2018
Wonderful staff and instructors, beautiful campus. Hour lunch and 2 breaks. Health insurance and retirement.

No library, no cafeteria, AC has a lot of trouble (both Fort Brown and ITEC location), leaking roofs, no campus police, poor communication internally, needs better management or board members that will implement plans of improvement for the campus to retain and increase student enrollment.

Staff raises non-existent, after the split from UT the TSC staff had wages cut nearly in half and years later no plans have been implemented to remediate this. Many buildings are in much need of repair and the turnover for staff is high (people jump to other openings frequently and it is competitive since there are not opportunities to grow within a department- no merit based raises).
Instructor Computer (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJuly 7, 2018
It's a good place to work. Management are good. But, be in for a cultural shock. 85% Hispanic and most people speak Spanish and English is their second language.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Long days
Work Study Perspective
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXMay 28, 2018
Having held previous employment at a professional level, this position took me by surprise. In my department, at my level, it was very relaxed and laid backl however my suoervisor did require a level of professionalism. I recommend this position for young students looking for a work/school balance and experience to add to their resumes.
Pros
work.school balance
Cons
low pay
Productive and Fun
L2S Tutor (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXMay 4, 2018
Great place to work. Calm environment with incredible and understanding supervisors. Flexible work schedules and opportunities to earn certifications.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Good place to work back then
Remedial Mathematics and Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brownsville TexasMarch 15, 2018
Review the work orders, assign the work load to the different professionals, review their work, order materials. Most workers were hard workers but supervising so many different professions was difficult. I liked the fact that I was always on the go.
Pros
Good place to learn from pros
Cons
Work was hectic at times
Productive and Positive Workplace
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TX 78520February 6, 2018
I worked in the Human Resources Department. This was my first job and it taught me many new things. The supervisors were great and they were very flexible with my schedule.
Awesome Culture
Adjunct Anatomy and Physiology Professor (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJanuary 19, 2018
Texas Southmost College was an awesome junior college to work at. Collaborative, relaxed and you were able to implement new ideas into the curriculum.
College
CPS Learning Lab, Tutor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJune 11, 2017
Excellent school and professors well prepared.

Students take the initiative on their life, Texas Southmost College is an excellent way to improve and have a better education
Beautiful scenery to work around
Ground maintenance irrigation specialist training (Former Employee) –  Brownsville TexasApril 6, 2017
Enjoyed working with coworkers who would work good communication between employees and management some bad apples in the bunch but overall learned a lot
Pros
Working with experience personnel
Cons
Unable to work with Associates who disappear all the time
Super fun place
Student Worker/REK Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJanuary 18, 2017
It was a fun place to work at. You ran into a lot of people you know and the managers were easy going. The discount of food wasn't so bad either. Time went by fast working there.
An upbeat and lively atmosphere
student worker (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJanuary 18, 2016
I work at the front desk which involves greeting the patrons as they enter the facility, signing them into the recreation center, checking out any sports equipment they may ask for, and answering any questions they might have about our facility and the classes or activities we host. I also answer the phone, keep my workplace neat, fold and wash sweat, shower, and maintenance towels, and clean the sports equipment and certain areas within the facility.
The work environment is professional but fun. Our coordinator has many years of experience in both working and running the facility, and the relationship between employer and employees is very amicable.
This was my first job, and from this I've learned the basics of customer service. To be honest, at the beginning I found the customer service aspect of this job to be the most challenging. With time, however, I learned to overcome this challenge and am now very comfortable with customer interaction.
An amazing opportunity
Student (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXOctober 8, 2015
This school is perfect to start your education, as it helps you build yourself to understand what you want, and what you want to study.
Pros
Better education
Cons
Not many activities
Productive and Organized Workplace
College Preparatory Service Learning Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXMay 28, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of helping out students to get around or well adjusted to the college and any further assistance in class work. I learned many things especially since my boss would rely a lot in me. My boss usually was in meetings all the time, which I would have to manage to take phone calls, messages, and deliver any confidential papers to other departments. My co-workers were well rounded and respectable, helped each other out when in need of any further assistance with any students. The hardest part of the job was dealing with student negative attitude towards us and not knowing anything about the job at first before we got any training. My beginning position was a Certified Level I Tutor and my ending position was a Certified Level II Tutor.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Breaks
fun workpace
customer service (Former Employee) –  brownsville, txApril 22, 2015
I learned how to deal with any kind of people, I also learned how to work more on the computer. my co-workers were excellent people to be with.
Fun and productive work enviroment
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXApril 2, 2015
At the department of Student Life, a typical day is fun and great. The full timers I work with are very humble, and kind. The most difficult challenge would just be getting things such as requisitions, purchase orders approved.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Minumum hours
Great environment
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXFebruary 27, 2015
Faculty and Staff are phenomenal and always willing to assist. Texas Southmost College embraces an innovative approach in technological advances.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Southmost College. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about