Texas Southmost College Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Management Improvement Greatly Needed
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 7, 2018
Wonderful staff and instructors, beautiful campus. Hour lunch and 2 breaks. Health insurance and retirement.

No library, no cafeteria, AC has a lot of trouble (both Fort Brown and ITEC location), leaking roofs, no campus police, poor communication internally, needs better management or board members that will implement plans of improvement for the campus to retain and increase student enrollment.

Staff raises non-existent, after the split from UT the TSC staff had wages cut nearly in half and years later no plans have been implemented to remediate this. Many buildings are in much need of repair and the turnover for staff is high (people jump to other openings frequently and it is competitive since there are not opportunities to grow within a department- no merit based raises).
Work Study Perspective
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXMay 28, 2018
Having held previous employment at a professional level, this position took me by surprise. In my department, at my level, it was very relaxed and laid backl however my suoervisor did require a level of professionalism. I recommend this position for young students looking for a work/school balance and experience to add to their resumes.
Pros
work.school balance
Cons
low pay
Productive and Fun
L2S Tutor (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXMay 4, 2018
Great place to work. Calm environment with incredible and understanding supervisors. Flexible work schedules and opportunities to earn certifications.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Good place to work back then
Remedial Mathematics and Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brownsville TexasMarch 15, 2018
Review the work orders, assign the work load to the different professionals, review their work, order materials. Most workers were hard workers but supervising so many different professions was difficult. I liked the fact that I was always on the go.
Pros
Good place to learn from pros
Cons
Work was hectic at times
Productive and Positive Workplace
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TX 78520February 6, 2018
I worked in the Human Resources Department. This was my first job and it taught me many new things. The supervisors were great and they were very flexible with my schedule.
Awesome Culture
Adjunct Anatomy and Physiology Professor (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJanuary 19, 2018
Texas Southmost College was an awesome junior college to work at. Collaborative, relaxed and you were able to implement new ideas into the curriculum.
College
CPS Learning Lab, Tutor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJune 11, 2017
Excellent school and professors well prepared.

Students take the initiative on their life, Texas Southmost College is an excellent way to improve and have a better education
Beautiful scenery to work around
Ground maintenance irrigation specialist training (Former Employee) –  Brownsville TexasApril 6, 2017
Enjoyed working with coworkers who would work good communication between employees and management some bad apples in the bunch but overall learned a lot
Pros
Working with experience personnel
Cons
Unable to work with Associates who disappear all the time
Super fun place
Student Worker/REK Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJanuary 18, 2017
It was a fun place to work at. You ran into a lot of people you know and the managers were easy going. The discount of food wasn't so bad either. Time went by fast working there.
An upbeat and lively atmosphere
student worker (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJanuary 18, 2016
I work at the front desk which involves greeting the patrons as they enter the facility, signing them into the recreation center, checking out any sports equipment they may ask for, and answering any questions they might have about our facility and the classes or activities we host. I also answer the phone, keep my workplace neat, fold and wash sweat, shower, and maintenance towels, and clean the sports equipment and certain areas within the facility.
The work environment is professional but fun. Our coordinator has many years of experience in both working and running the facility, and the relationship between employer and employees is very amicable.
This was my first job, and from this I've learned the basics of customer service. To be honest, at the beginning I found the customer service aspect of this job to be the most challenging. With time, however, I learned to overcome this challenge and am now very comfortable with customer interaction.
An amazing opportunity
Student (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXOctober 8, 2015
This school is perfect to start your education, as it helps you build yourself to understand what you want, and what you want to study.
Pros
Better education
Cons
Not many activities
Productive and Organized Workplace
College Preparatory Service Learning Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXMay 28, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of helping out students to get around or well adjusted to the college and any further assistance in class work. I learned many things especially since my boss would rely a lot in me. My boss usually was in meetings all the time, which I would have to manage to take phone calls, messages, and deliver any confidential papers to other departments. My co-workers were well rounded and respectable, helped each other out when in need of any further assistance with any students. The hardest part of the job was dealing with student negative attitude towards us and not knowing anything about the job at first before we got any training. My beginning position was a Certified Level I Tutor and my ending position was a Certified Level II Tutor.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Breaks
fun workpace
customer service (Former Employee) –  brownsville, txApril 22, 2015
I learned how to deal with any kind of people, I also learned how to work more on the computer. my co-workers were excellent people to be with.
Fun and productive work enviroment
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXApril 2, 2015
At the department of Student Life, a typical day is fun and great. The full timers I work with are very humble, and kind. The most difficult challenge would just be getting things such as requisitions, purchase orders approved.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Minumum hours
Great environment
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXFebruary 27, 2015
Faculty and Staff are phenomenal and always willing to assist. Texas Southmost College embraces an innovative approach in technological advances.
It is a tough job
program director (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXDecember 28, 2014
Always hard with any start up and it was in essence a start up when they separated from UT Browsville after a 20 year partnership. I knew going in that it would be hard, but I just never realized how hard and how all consuming. I would say the support from my dean was great but the organization has some very weird and antiquated ideas. Like the VP insisting we call our co-workers and boss by their full title....Dr. So and So or Ms So and So. I learned a lot and had some great coworkers but it was never easy. Also they are hooked into a long contract with Pearson Learning for e books and online learning platform and it sucks! Students hated it and so did I.
Pros
nice coworkers and a good AA (when I finally got one)
Cons
12 hour days every day and too much rigid formality from the top down.
Great learning experience
Student Worker at Financial Aid Office (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXOctober 7, 2014
A great job for the most part. Very laid back at times with plenty of opportunity to learn. I learned all about the financial aid process and about customer service. The hardest part of the job where the busy months toward the beginning of the school year where we would help hundreds of people each day. Most enjoyable part of the job was being close to my coworkers and having a good time while working.
Pros
lenient management, adjust to your school schedule
Cons
No guaranteed job security
Educational
Workstudy (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXSeptember 10, 2013
a typpical day consisted of assisting in computer lab, typing and correcting tests and homework, mail, opening computer lab, clerical duties.

Managment was informative.
Cons
work hours