Texas State Optical Employee Reviews

Horrible work life and just overall bad place to call a home for longer thsn a year
Optometric Technician (Former Employee) –  Schertz, TXApril 12, 2018
I worked here at texas state optical schertz and rarley had good days. Over worked no pay no advancement horrible management unorganized and unprofessional. The owner is money hungry and self absorbed. Will never look back to tgis place ever RUN IF THEY CALL YOU. Tbey will never change. No care of employees at all or the overall happiness of them.
fast pace
FRONT DESK/ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 21, 2018
Office was really nice and co workers where really nice as well. It was really fast. pace environment. Hardest part of dealing with this job is the long after hrs and taking all walk ins.
Pros
good commission
Buen ambiente laboral
Optometric Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 11, 2018
Trabajan personas profecionales que poseen un alto conocimiento y habilidades en cada uno de sus campos.
Pros
horario flexible
Cons
no tiene muchos beneficios
The Optometrist and Staff are the best I have ever known
Optometric Assistant (Current Employee) –  Magnolia, TXDecember 9, 2017
Working for Texas State Optical in Magnolia, TX was truly the best experience I have had with an employer. They are very understanding to life situations and are very compassionate towards their employees and patients. If I did not have to relocate I would never leave.
The doctor was only intersted in medicaid patients
Manager (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXSeptember 14, 2017
The doctor was mean to African American workers and often put them down. If the system crashed he expects you to fix the problem instead of calling the technician who is paid to do the job for him.
Pros
A steady pay check is always a plus.
Cons
No a good work advirement.
Don't get your hopes up
Optician (Former Employee) –  Silsbee, TXSeptember 12, 2017
When you first get the job you are going to feel very overwhelmed with all of the information that you need to learn. Once you learn the various positions they pull you to the side and give you a bogus reason for letting you go. Very cut throat and once you feel at peace that you aren't going to be let go and that you have job security they take it away from you.
Not a great place to work
Doctor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 19, 2017
The team at tso was kind of snobby they were not to good with customer service and wanted to get the customers in and out as fast as possible with no quality to the work
Pros
Close to where i lived
Cons
Not a fun place
Relaxed and fun place to work
Optician (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXAugust 11, 2017
I absolutely loved the job as an optician at TSO. I loved how I could wear scrubs and had my own desk. I came in with no optical experience and knowledge and was trained right away since the day had started. Everyone was very nice to me and was patient. I caught up with everything really quick and it made me a more confident person.
Pros
1 hour lunch. luxxottica meetings
Cons
low pay
Sales Optician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 4, 2017
What I've noticed about this job is that it is a productive atmosphere. Being that is is a private practice it is ran a little differently then the average corporate job.
Really care for patients
Exam Tech (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXMay 20, 2017
Great place to work at! Everyone at my location was super nice and patient while I was training. It's super easy to get promoted to doing insurance or helping with the actual glasses.
Pros
Hour for lunch
Cons
On your feet all the time
okay place to work
Front Desk/tech (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 11, 2017
Not enough control in the office and to much favortisme. The doctor does not care about its employees co workers are great. Hours of operation was good.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Schertz, TX 78154May 1, 2017
This is a really bad company to work for. There is more disrespect towards employees by the Owner/ Doctor. I would never invite anyone to work or go to this location.
Bad
The owner was a good doctor but a terrible boss.
Ophthalmic Technician (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXApril 17, 2017
I loved going into work every single day. I adored my coworkers who still remain as close to family to me despite my resignation and that includes the doctors who worked for the owner as well. I can honestly say that I've never worked harder for an employer in my entire life. I went above and beyond my duties each and every day because I loved seeing those around me happy. Especially the patients. I am not one to slander so I will leave it as this; I was taken advantage of and the owner was a good doctor but a terrible boss. No promise of ever advancing for this employer.
Pros
This employer was kind enough to treat us to meals often.
Cons
No room for advancement. Promises of quarterly reviews and wage performances that never happened.
Doctors assistant (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXApril 9, 2017
Quiet yet busy and fast paced environment. Overall a decent place to work. Deal with patients and perform a lot of multiple duties as needed. Closed on Sunday which is nice.
Good Practice
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 4, 2017
easy job, fun work environment, great doc, fair wages...overall a decent job. Small practice so there's not much room for advancement but overall a decent job.
Pros
Good Practice
productive workplace
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 6, 2017
work with dr
learned about glasses/ contacts
management changed a few times
hardest part of the job is unorganized management
enjoyable part of job is working with patients
Pros
discount on contacts and glasses
Cons
management
great multi-tasking job experience
Lead Optician (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXFebruary 1, 2017
I was able to work one on one with customers/patients at the optical, and fortunately gained plenty of customer service experience and juggling many tasks all at once during busy work hours such as, answering appointment calls, search insurance availability, scanning, input data, scheduling appointments, filing confidential paperwork, etc.
Pros
hour lunches, flexible
Cons
unprofessional proper training
Good place to work to get some experience in the field without being overwhelmed
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXDecember 1, 2016
This job allows an employee to expand on their social skills as the job requires a lot of patient interaction. An employee also has ample opportunity to work on time management skills. The hardest part of the job is most likely the time management. The job is not difficult to accomplish but if the day-to-day duties are not completed, they can quickly start to pile up. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with patients. If a potential employee likes to converse and interact with people, this job is perfect for them.
Pros
can work as much overtime as you want
Cons
no benefits, minimum wage
Productive and fun work environment
Optometric Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 7, 2016
TSO helped me understand and provide eye care for many patients. In addition I was able to have direct contact by prepping patients for the doctor.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Highway 6 Houston TxOctober 18, 2016
Typical day at work is answering phone, greeting patients. I learned how to look up insurance and verify, great co-worker, happy with the management
Pros
Friendliness
Cons
temp job