Texas State University Employee Reviews

Great place where I learned a lot
Film Critic (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 14, 2018
This is Texas's best undergraduate student newspaper, hands down. I learned so much and met people who helped me become a better writer, not just on a technical level but on a life level as well.
Collaborative and independent learning
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 12, 2018
A typical day in the biology research lab at Texas State University is relaxing and easy to get used to. The PI of the laboratory and the professor that oversees my research are both fantastic people. The other researchers are extremely friendly and willing to help. The hardest part of the job was obtaining good results.
Pros
Make your own schedule, Great tools for learning new techniques, Comfortable work environment
Cons
Small setting
Awesome if under the right management
Staff (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 11, 2018
I felt like I was overworked and underpaid for my particular role. I just didn't feel appreciated. On the bright side, I made some wonderful friends through this job and had a really flexible work schedule.
Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Student Support ServicesJanuary 11, 2018
Being a tutor was a rewarding and educational experience. I received week long training on teaching skills and interpersonal communication before we officially began work.
Stressful
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 3, 2018
I cannot begin to explain just how stressful it was working for the university sanction program. The environment was overall stressful and I only got 4-5 hours of sleep if we didn't have another late night meeting about all the problems that occurred that day of work.
Good work environment
Microbiology Lab Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 3, 2018
Increased time management skills, learned more about labs/ safety techniques, prepared labs, instructed students, created cultures, created plates. I loved every moment.
nice people
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXDecember 30, 2017
nice people to work for a very relaxed environment with great hours and gave me as many hours as I wanted. They were all very professional and polite.
It was a part-time job
Texas - Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXDecember 29, 2017
I did not receive much guidance as I jumped into teaching mode. I was told what to teach and that was it. I did not believe that I should have been teaching paralegal students about hearsay; which is something that most lawyers don't even understand.
Fun, efficient and self-driven
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 29, 2017
I created posters for SHARE Peer Mentoring Program. My bosses were kind, responsive and flexible. I learned how to communicate with non-designers and how to be a self-starter.
Professional, yet relaxed working environment
Curriculum Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXDecember 26, 2017
I have learned a lot at Texas State. A typical day is filled with scanning and filing Curriculum file, and organizing Commencement preparations. I learned a lot about prioritizing and time management. The management is excellent and kind. The hardest part of the job had to be the long hours around Commencement time. The most enjoyable part was working for everyone.
Extremely enjoyable and fulfilling
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXDecember 14, 2017
Texas State is a great University to work as an adjunct professor. I have the opportunity to develop the course study for the purpose of helping students obtain their Certified Treasury Professional limited designation. The students are smart and awesome to teach.
Constantly struggling in the shadow of the great UT-Austin
Assistant/Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXDecember 9, 2017
Laid-back town, close to Austin - the live music capital of the world. Lots of deadwood faculty. Needs more resources to become a real R-1 research institution.
Pros
nice place to live.
Cons
Very large classes.
Fun Workplace
Student Technician (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXDecember 2, 2017
My boss was understanding and easy to talk to, as were my coworkers. I think the campus jobs at Texas State are great opportunities. If you happen to be attending, I definitely recommend a campus job, especially if you live on campus.
Excellent real world experience
Equity Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 23, 2017
Gained hands on experience practicing applied business management and trading techniques. Learned to develop polished and concise presentations as an undergraduate student.
Loved this job
ORIENTATION LEADER (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 22, 2017
December 2016-Present
• Assist in the implantation of orientation programs for new and transfer students and their parents.
• Facilitate and lead group discussions with first year students prior to commencement.
• Serve as a role model for incoming students and peers.
Pros
free meal trades, free room and board
Cons
very demanding, work many hours
Productive and fun working place
Graduate Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 18, 2017
The best part of my job is to teach c++ and tutor students on various subjects in the lab. I love solving questions which are asked by students in tutoring lab.
Mailroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 17, 2017
Working for this university is great and I've enjoyed it so much. You get the chance to interact with so many students from a variety of backgrounds and that's the best part about my job.
Glorified Babysitter
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 17, 2017
As a Resident Assistant, there is a lot of weight on my shoulders. It can be hard to find a balance but this job is really great. The workplace culture is very diverse and welcoming. Management is great and very welcoming.
Pros
Free Housing and meal plan
Fast paced
Director of Correspondence, Extension (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 13, 2017
Very fast paced and a pleasure to work in that environment. Faculty are collaborative and progressive placing students first. Quality and customer focused
Pros
Location and propgressive
Cons
There's a lot of demand to perform and respond which may be difficult for some.
Internship and School
Soil Science Internship (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 7, 2017
- Great opportunities through school to grow professionally and personally once you leave.
- Agriculture Department is a friendly environment where you feel like home and everyone is like family.