Texas State University Employee Reviews

Best program at texas state university
Co-Chair (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 2, 2018
This organization allowed me to grow my leadership skills tremendously. It not only allowed for my growth but through my work I was able to help others grow.

The culture and mission of this organization can be defined in one word: COMMUNITY. By having our focus be on the Texas state new incoming students this program was all about teamwork and leadership.
Pros
Leadership and growth
Cons
It only lasted for a year
I worked as a student worker
STUDENT WORKER/OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXAugust 21, 2018
Working in The College of Science and Engineering Dean's Office was a great experience. I learned so much in my four years there. Management, workplace, culture, and the entire job itself are great.
Pros
Cons
The occasional difficult student
Collaborative team
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 5, 2018
Colleagues are supportive and driven by overarching common goals. Manager encourages work-life balance. New ideas are appreciated and encouraged. Diversity is not just a buzzword; faculty and staff make a real effort to embrace and encourage intersectionality.
Pros
Culture, work hours, benefits
Cons
Limited funding for salaries
Great place to work, very good quality university
Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 4, 2018
I was thrown into position without any knowledge transfer from previous employee, and no job manual. I had to create my own position at first, and used the opportunity to improve processes and create forms for facilitation of processes. I created a job manual. I did financial statements, completed tax returns, advised students on tax issues, trained staff.
Pros
Hard work, learning opportunity, opportunity to help others
Cons
Management was poor at times
Different Place to work
Head Strength and Conditioning Coach, Football (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 19, 2019
TXST University is behind the times and is slow to change. So if you are looking for a growth oriented culture this is not the place for you.

I think it is getting better but it is slow to head that way.
Pros
Great place to live
Cons
Slow growth
Great place to work, not a lot of room for advancement or pay increases
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 7, 2019
The benefits are great, time off is the best. However, if you're looking to advance quickly or do something innovative this isn't the place for you. Salaries are low and don't increase and there aren't a lot of opportunities for new positions.
Peer Driven. Fun group
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 5, 2019
My position was a Peer Mentor. This job was the highest paying job on campus and was very fun. Mentored freshman as well as co-taught seminar classes. Hours were based on person effort with individual meetings with students and office hours.
Pros
Lots of fun, meet alot of people, access to many resources
Cons
Extreme time management, hours based on meetings
Productive place that emphasized creativity
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 3, 2019
Learned how to manage a team of engineering students to fufill a requirement
Outside sponsor within texas state was a little bit hard to communicate with
Pros
Free lunches
Good atmosphere
Building Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Typical day would be making sure work study students had all the jobs lined up. Made sure all the work orders were in line and serviced. Constantly moving furniture and tearing down shelves and putting them in storage. Taking inventory for all the furniture and training staff and students on fire evacuation.
Pros
wellness, good people around, great advancement opps
Cons
far from home
Team oriented and supportive environment
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXDecember 15, 2018
The organization is well structured for the environment as it relates to each department/s. Many of the people are long time employees and really do assist the incoming employees to settle into their jobs as much as possible and their support doing so is tremendously helpful. The managers are mostly available to assist in any capacity they can to better understand the needs of the employee and do a great job reassuring their staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is participating in gatherings, university events, and celebrations, etc., as well as meeting new and regular employees and feeling like a part of the team.
Pros
Flexibility and perks
Cons
None to speak of
great
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXDecember 10, 2018
I gained a lot of valuable teaching experience working here. But as with all university assistantships, the pay is low. But I suppose the experience is decent compensation for that
It's about what you'd expect
Graduate/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hays County, TXOctober 23, 2018
Teaching at Texas State University as an Instructional Assistant, while convenient, does not pay much and can be a hassle. There is a ton that you must do outside of teaching and office hours (grading/writing quizzes), but the preparation for each class takes little time if you are competent in your field. It's a bit insulting that there is no tuition waiving for student employees, and the payment barely covers one semesters tuition costs, let alone rent and bills. This is definitely not going to support you, but will be a convenient solution for some people to cover tuition costs.
Pros
Convenient
Cons
Low wage, time consuming
Texas State Univeristy Advancement services is a great place to work for college students.
DATA ENTRY PERSONNEL (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 9, 2018
My experience with Texas State University Advancement Services has been wonderful. They are flexible and understanding. I would highly recommend them to any college student seeking an on-campus job.
State Job
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 2, 2019
This organization is a typical state job - very low pay, but benefits helps, along with a good retirement. If you get a job at Texas State University, stay with it for 20 years.
Close family style work relationships.
Tobacco Enforcement Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 18, 2018
Management is fair and have a door always open policy. Very welcoming and quick to resolve any conflicts in a professional manner. The workplace culture is laid back with many laughs shared on a daily basis.
Excellent Leadership in a Stressful Environment
Equity and Access Representative (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXSeptember 29, 2018
The office of equity and access at Texas State University was an enjoyable place to work. The work environment can be very stressful, but the management is superb.
Excellent Workplace
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXAugust 2, 2018
I love my job at Texas State University. I could not have been hired to work in a better department and I will miss being employed their terribly. The staff and students are extremely nice and easy to talk too. everyone works as a team and the benefits and opportunities are endless. You'd be lucky to ever find a workplace like this.
Lots of autonomy in workspace
Oral History Project Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXDecember 19, 2018
Working as an instructional assistant allowed me to have a lot of autonomy when dividing graduate school work and grading. However, it was a very large workload, along with very high expectations for little pay. The reward is helping students progress in their courses, but it is stressful to balance between being a full-time graduate student.
Pros
Autonomy, office space, camaraderie
Cons
large workload, little direction
Texas State University
Adjunct Faculty Lecturer (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 16, 2018
The university is a great place to work. The faculty and staff are collegial and freely share things that would benefit newer employees. There is adequate support to do an excellent job.
Pros
good students in general, supportive staff and faculty, fair compensation
Cons
lack of ability to transition to full-time from part time, faculty and staff having to pay for their own parking
Texas State is Awesome
Grant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXAugust 8, 2018
I loved working at Texas State! The faculty and staff really go out of their way for the students and the culture on campus is contagious. If given the opportunity to work her, jump on it!