Texas State University Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
left leaning university
did not work at Texas state (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXAugust 14, 2018
I was a student at Texas State and I never had to work there. During classes all that happened is conservative students rarely got a fair voice and were dehumanized.
Great place to work. Allowed employees to gain a greater knowledge of the specific work.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL SURVEY ASSITANT (Former Employee) –  Utah Test and Training Range, UTAugust 9, 2018
I learned a great deal of valuable experience pertaining to the field of archaeology. I work with really great people who got along well, and they all shared the same passion as I about the work.
Texas State is Awesome
Grant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXAugust 8, 2018
I loved working at Texas State! The faculty and staff really go out of their way for the students and the culture on campus is contagious. If given the opportunity to work her, jump on it!
Relaxed and Friendly Environment
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Dean of Students OfficeAugust 5, 2018
Everyone I worked around is always so kind and willing to help you in the best way they can. There always is something you could help with though, as there is much to be done here - so you'll never be bored. The hardest part was knowing that I was doing so much work for not a lot of money, but at the end of the day I gained a lot of experience that I can use later on.
Excellent Workplace
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXAugust 2, 2018
I love my job at Texas State University. I could not have been hired to work in a better department and I will miss being employed their terribly. The staff and students are extremely nice and easy to talk too. everyone works as a team and the benefits and opportunities are endless. You'd be lucky to ever find a workplace like this.
Lecturer/Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 30, 2018
I love the ability to interact and engage my students, good work environment, able to be creative in teaching and completing projects. Support when needed.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Salary
Great School
Student (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 24, 2018
San Marcos and Texas State are in a constant state of growth. There are many opportunities with the college and the river is a great place to spend your time off.
Pros
River, University Life
Great place
Coordinator, Student Veteran Programs (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 18, 2018
Great place because of great students, collaboration and celebration of diversity. Relaxed atmosphere. People felt they were in a small environment at a large school.
Good learning environment
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 17, 2018
Working at the university was a very positive experience that allowed for exponential growth and learning. The biology department is very well run and all the professors are amazing.
Decent place for a limited postdoc
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 16, 2018
Worked here for one year as a postdoc in the chemical engineering department. As a university, there were plenty of facilities to be able to complete research, although scheduling was difficult at times. Parking was also pretty horrible. It's a small community, but it's just south of Austin so there was plenty of things to enjoy if you took a short drive.
Internship
ACUHO-I Internship (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 15, 2018
ACUOH-I Internship – Student Affairs: Housing and Conferences
This internship has provided me with additional skills to add to my Student Affairs career path.
Go Bobcats!
Certification Officer (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 7, 2018
The energy and excitement at the start of the semester is amazing. Helping new students navigate the campus and programs is rewarding and gratifying. Great place to work.
Worked as TA in English Depatrment
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  English DepartmentJuly 6, 2018
I enjoyed working here. I never felt stressed out as log as I completed everything I needed to do.I learned a lot on how to lecture and teach basic writing skills to incoming freshman.
Great place
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 6, 2018
This university was a great place to work, even if temporarily. Great town. Loved working with students and the professors. Cannot recommend high enough.
Very welcoming and Supportive
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alkek LibraryJune 25, 2018
It was a good place to learn and work . Being an international student i never felt they have treated others differently. Love the university. Very friendly and supportive staff.
Texas State University
Adjunct Faculty Lecturer (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 16, 2018
The university is a great place to work. The faculty and staff are collegial and freely share things that would benefit newer employees. There is adequate support to do an excellent job.
Pros
good students in general, supportive staff and faculty, fair compensation
Cons
lack of ability to transition to full-time from part time, faculty and staff having to pay for their own parking
Working at Texas State University
Student Assistant - Dean of Students (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 9, 2018
I enjoyed working there, my superiors were kind, friendly and always patient. I learned how to work in an office, and how to communicate with visitors that came to the office. The job was a great stepping stone for me as a student to learn about how things work in an office and how to work with and accommodate others.
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
N/a
best place on earth
Research Apprentice (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 6, 2018
The physics professors are awesome to work with, and the grad students have such interesting backgrounds. I had a blast working there, and would encourage everyone to do so.
Double standards abound
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 4, 2018
Ethical and legal standards are secondary to Institutional imperatives when it comes to compensation and recognition. Seniority and teaching excellence means nothing relative to compensation and/or course releases, that are provided tenure track faculty.
You meet really great people there and can get great connections.
Supplemental Instructor Leader (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 31, 2018
Within my first year working at Texas State University as a SI, I have quite enjoyed it to an extent. My favorite thing I would have to say about the job is all the people you meet. For starters, I met my 3 best friends through this job and will be living with them soon. Not only did I meet my best friends, but I met other very great coworkers who have become great friends as well. Another thing I was not expecting is the connection I would have with my students. This past semester was my favorite. The class I worked with had many smart students who really wanted to learn as opposed as to just wanting to pass the class which was amazing to me. Not only was I their SI, but I also become their friend. A few of my students even made schedule changes for their next semester to take a class with a different professor because they found out I was either taking that same class or was possibly gonna be a SI for it, which I thought was super cool. Other connections involve professors. A professor I took a class with this past semester is probably gonna be a professor I will SI for this coming up semester given that I received an A in his class. Through him, he has given me security in my college endeavors with some great advice he's told me. Overall, this job has given me many advantages and great memories even though at times it can be stressful, but at the end of the day, I love helping others and seeing the spark in their eyes when they finally understand something, and this job has given me the opportunity to do just that.
Pros
Coworkers, letters of rec, early registration
Cons
session plans, attending SI class, frequent training