Textbroker
Happiness rating is 60 out of 100

Textbroker Employee Reviews

United States105 reviews

Good Place for Editors

If you’re an editor or a freelance writer, Textbroker is a good place to work. Freelancers can work when they want, and there’s a steady flow of work coming in.The big downside for internal employees is that the pay is poor compared to many other companies and industries.

Pros

Company-paid lunches every Wednesday, can work from home a couple of days a week

Cons

Poor compensation, lack of advancement opportunities

A toxic work environment ran by millennials who only want to manage to delegate and not to lead.

It is a toxic work environment where advancement is dependent on blissful ignorance and fake friendships. The job is salary, yet they account for your time as if you are hourly. You only get paid twice a month as if you are in the military. At least once a week, employees have to listen to management openly discuss their romantic lives.

Pros

Getting to leave early if management wants to tend to personal business

Cons

You are not allowed to flex your time if you work overtime.

Low pay, no work available.

Most of the high paying articles ask way too much of you and the articles that pay meh at best pay poorly so it’s hard to this platform for full time work.

High Expectations, Extremely Low Pay

I suppose if I were to say anything good about Textbroker it would be that they pay on time and improved the quality of writing standards. Unfortunately, they don't pay writers what they are worth and often it's a lot of work for very little pay. Some of their clients have a laundry list of instructions that include indepth research with a 24-hour turnaround yet Textbroker only pays the highest tiered writers approximately still paying two cents per word which is ridiculous. My last job was $.08 per word which with my decades of writing is still low but being away for a couple of years and seeing that the most they will pay me is 1 1/2 cents per word is gross. Paying writers this low is an indication of how much they are valued.

Decent place, just don't expect to make a living.

I know that summary sounded rather negative, but it really isn't. From my experience, the people who run the show seem to know what they're doing (most of the time). You choose an article to write from a pool of different topics, be it entertainment or travel (two of the topics I wrote about most). Write it. send it in. If it's not up to their standards, they send it back for revision, which, in my experience as a 4-star author, is rare. Fix it, send it back, hope the client isn't unpleasable, and get paid. That last bit is where the issue comes in. Unless you can dedicate literal hours a day to Textbroker, don't expect to make a living on it. That's not to say it's impossible, because it isn't. I just don't have that kind of drive all the time (ha). That's a "me" problem, though. If you have a streamlined research process, a grammar checker, and can type at least 1,500 words an hour, you will probably be alright. If you have questions, the other authors are more than willing to help. I've asked many questions and gotten many great answers on the forums.

Pros

Varied topics, friendly users, decent management

Cons

Some scammy clients, low pay

Overall great laid back environment

Great company. Be your own boss. Decent pay. Pick your schedule. No dicey management. 1099 required but worth it. You’ll never worry about being fired it hard to do so.

Pros

Work when you want

Cons

Client reviews

Poorly managed and unfair to workers

I was excited at first. Jobs pay pennies, but I needed the extra income and was accepted fast. Spent all afternoon working on my first order, submitted it, and was told I had to complete verification for my account. Well, their process is broken. I keep getting locked out after entering my information only to be told by their customer service to try again. No information about what's wrong, why, or how to fix it, after I spent all that time working already on my entry sample and first order. For less than $2, mind you. Don't trust them to pay you or manage your account/your money fairly or professionally, it seems.

This Place Has Become Awful

Unreasonable and rude editors show a complete lack of respect for writers. Textbroker shows zero respect for established and productive authors. It's a factory. Their attitude is that there are thousands behind you willing to put up with disrespect for peanuts. The work here has slumped a lot since the summer. Textbroker appears to be cutting staff under the guise of a "growing company." Only sign up here if you have no other options. Otherwise, there are so many other options that pay more and treat you better with less stress.

Pros

A good place to start your free-lance writing, but you outgrow Textbroker quickly

Cons

Terrible pay, Treated like garbage, Unhelpful Author Services that thinks they are far above their writers, Less work that there used to be, Constant turnover of employees, so you can't even establish relationships

Productive Work Environment

I loved working there part time. It's unfortunate that new management took over and they reorganized the department that I was in. The staff there was super friendly and always there for you.

Pros

Free lunches for meetings

Too demanding for nothing

The work is too demanding for the Price. Customers give you zero informations for writting 700 words on hard subjects. They expecting copywriting and high quality...

Very low compensation and less and less assignments to choose from.

I have written for Textbroker for years, pay always low. Used to always be assignments, very little now. The compensation for each article no matter your rating is not enough to support yourself, much less your family. This is definitely a side gig for a little extra income. Unfortunately as of today, and has been getting worse and worse for the past months, there are fewer and fewer assignments available for any rating. I check every single day as I have been a long term author with Textbroker. If you have a need to call or e-mail, the staff is very kind and always helpful. It is my hope more assignments are available soon as there was a time Textbroker was always full of work.

Flexible work with no frills

I started at Textbroker as a way to make money on the side, and for that purpose, it's been great. However, there is no consistency in it, and unless you make the highest level as a writer, you're really not earning that much. Even at the highest level, there is constant pressure because the editorial staff offers no support whatsoever. They make you feel expendable as a freelance writer, and it is demoralizing after awhile.

Good for side money

Decent ancillary work, but buyer beware...its a content mill. Seems like work has diminished on site significantly due to low writer pay and bad customer relations. I'm not happy its happening, but hopefully it's a wake-up call!

Pros

Work on your schedule

Cons

Pay is low

Great if you need extra cash.

Textbroker is great if you need a side gig for extra money. Definitely would not recommend it, however, if you're looking for a full-time writing gig.

Pros

Flexibility with scheudle, work at your own pace

Cons

Low wage, picky clients

Hours of work per article with low pay.

Paid per word at a very low rate. However, the topics were fun to research. You can choose the length of each assignment and there are many to choose fr

Pros

Home-based

Cons

Very, very low pay.

Flexibility, good clients, but lower pay

There is much flexibility, since a writer can make his/ her own schedule. Pay is so low, even as a 4 star out of 5 star writer, that making more than $8 per hour can be very difficult. Most of the clients I write for are great. I only had trouble with one out of many, and Textbroker defended me and made the client pay me for my article.

Pros

Flexibility, Improving Skills, Customer Care, Lots of Job Availability

Cons

Lower Pay, Can usually only select one job at a time.

Clients can refuse to pay without justification

This is a weird SEO-obsessed job where you have to fit words and phrases into the articles repeatedly and try to make it read well, and then they still might reject your work and not really explain why, and then you don't get paid. There's just absolutely nothing protecting you, and most of the work is ludicrously low pay even if you do get the pay. They shouldn't even be allowed to run.

Pros

Writing

Cons

Low or no pay

Low, low, low pay

The pay is ridiculously low. You will also get bumped up to a higher earning level, then they will look for one reason to knock you right back down. Just when you are making decent money for your writing, they will find an error in your writing, send you an email about the error, and knock you write back down to ONE PENNY per word. The ability to make good money is critically low and then if you try to write more, because you are simply trying to make $100 a week, after you submit a job, you will go looking for more jobs and then there are ZEROES in every writing category. As soon as they realize you are trying to make decent money, which means doing lots of writing jobs, every day, then they will cut you off. It is kinda awful, really. You cannot count on it, and you cannot trust them.

Pros

flexibile freelance

Cons

money, no opportunities for advance whatsoever

Interesting work

It's a very good starting point. Many of the reviews here second that impression of working for this company. I would definitely have loved to continue but it is not sustainable in terms of pay.

Pros

flexibility and experience

Cons

pay

OK place to start

Okay place to start but not to stay there. Would not recommend for trying to make a living but maybe for some extra income. You will likely not write full time for them.

Pay Could Be Better

I absolutely enjoy writing for Textbroker. I just wished they paid writers much more for all of our hard work. Other than that, I love what I do. They have thousands of articles available to choose from, if you are a level 4 or 5 writer. You can write as many articles as you want.

Pros

You can write as many articles as you want

Cons

Don't pay enough

Common questions about Textbroker

Answered by current and former employees at Textbroker

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Textbroker. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Textbroker.
Powered byComparably

Compare Textbroker with

Learn about Textbroker in popular locations

• Textbroker