The Alaska Club Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Just dont, not worth your time
Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Wasilla, AKJune 19, 2018
Worked there for 2 1/2 year, was never late, did my job right, and never got a raise. Management Is nothing but a bunch of bosses and NO LEADERS......
Pros
free gym membership i guess
Cons
everything else
Good people, but mostly a teenage workplace
MOD, Lifeguard Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Eagle River, AKJune 14, 2018
The people I work with and the customer interactions are great. The only downfall is that I feel like the pay is low and that my location seems to hire more high schoolers over anyone else.
It was cool
MEMBER SUPPORT SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 14, 2018
It was a nice little weekend job that I had and it was perfect for my schedule since I was still in high school and playing sports at the same time. I did not like the staff though, the customers were horrible and I only worked for four hours pretty much.
Productive and fun place to work
Front Desk Clerk/Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Eagle River, AKApril 30, 2018
This was one of the most knowledgeable jobs that I could have ever had. The staff was so willing to always help you learn and grow. There was always advancements allowed and they encouraged you to make those career changes to help advance your career. The hardest part of the job was making sure you were following the protocols.
Pros
meeting some of the nicest people
Cons
having to choose just one location to work from
If you got no where else to go
Building Engineer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99507April 4, 2018
Facility maintenance. Work wasn't too stressful.Co-workers were great. Free membership. Not the bread winner work place but a good filler job. Management needs to communicate with each other and with employees.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Management communication
I like it
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 26, 2018
Honestly if they believed in me and trust me when I told them something was wrong instead of putting me down and calling me a liar, things will be different. Also they lied to me about what position I'll be in and full time job . Be careful and double check everything.
fun and exciting
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMarch 11, 2018
Loved working with kids and running a sports summer camp. Good energy and kept me busy. Good pay and the staff was so welcoming and kind. Great supervisor who was very understanding!
Pros
flexible with schedule
Cons
inconsistent work times and how many hours I should work per day
Amazing Environment with Unlivable Wages
Managment (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMarch 6, 2018
A typical day at work involves running around cleaning, customer care, ensuring the staff and the members are satisfied and productive. It is an amazing place to work part time or if you aren't the breadwinner in your home. You cannot top the positive environment of the staff and the majority of the members. Whether you are a fitness nut or not , it is a judge free zone with a lot of encouraging individuals. You also receive a free membership which is impossible to afford unless you make close to 6 figures. Oddly enough with how much a membership costs and the constant upgrading there is little to no compensation. Lower Management is paid just pennies more than regular staff( Its literally a nickle above the minimum wage employees.) There are employees there that have been their for dozens of years and haven't gotten a raise other than when minimum wage has been increased. Upper Management is manipulative and has a way of convincing you to hold 2 or 3 different positions and telling you how crucial you are, even going so far as to give individuals new titles then increasing pay often times less than 25 cents or not at all. They make promises to department heads to compensate or celebrate their team, then never follow through. There is little to no employee appreciation from the company. Overall it is an incredible place to work as long as this is maybe a second job. I would suggest never getting caught up in advancement. You can flip burgers at McDonalds and make more money than a department head at this club. .
Pros
Flexible, Free Membership, Extremely Positive Enviroment
Cons
Unlivable Wages, Lack of Compensation
Alaska club
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKFebruary 27, 2018
The job was ok but fairbanks is lame and I couldnt stay there any longer so I quit my cleaning job
Working at the alaska club was ok. Accept for the temperature in the laundry room , it was way to hot
Pros
Hot chicks
Cons
Uhh
intense high pace job
GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99508February 12, 2018
There is a lot to learn at the club. The thing i liked about it is that every day was different. You might come in with a plan for certain accomplishments and things would drastically change because the pool is cloudy or not running properly. I would come in around 730am, do a walk through the facility, meet with my department managers and try to set up a plan for the day. If there were any fires that needed to be put out then those would be the first things to handle. Go to meetings, and tackle other chores. I generally did not leave till 730pm or 8pm.
Pros
people, equipment, ammenities
Cons
stress level, demands, constant hiring, training and firing
Fasted paced but very fun..
Front Desk Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 28, 2018
Great place to work or work out everyone is amazing always happy ready to help you with anything u may need while there weather an employee or a client.
Front Desk
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 24, 2018
Members were nice but management sucked. Pay wasn't enough to deal with the disrespect from the operations manager. They have good employees but they don't care about their employees they are quick to break them down but never build them up.
Pros
Membership
Cons
No breaks, never get a raise, and rude alcoholic operations manager.
it was terrible
Clean Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJanuary 19, 2018
the GM for the club that i worked at was a tyrant and awful to work under. She didnt let the managers under her do their jobs. she would rather try to take it all on herself.
Lack of value placed on employees
Fitness Consultant (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 18, 2018
The job is a perfect match for full time student. Operation for all clubs lacks proper management. No incentives that motivate employees to stay with the company, hence the high turnover ratios. Unethical place of labor.
Pros
Free gym Membership
Cons
No advancement career wise, low pay, affects quality of work/life balance
Fun workplace
Zumba Instructor (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 8, 2018
awesome participants and co-workers. they had an easy system to log in attendance, view and submit sub requests. communicating with management was quick and simple. i had so much fun teaching at this facility.
Solid Place to Work
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJanuary 4, 2018
As far as being an MOD, working at the Alaska club was an easy job. Although the compensation is hardly enough to sustain any kind of respectable lifestyle, for a college student it was perfect.
Where careers go to die
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 3, 2018
The reputation of The Alaska Club certainly lived up to the name during tenure there. Very poor management that only cares about numbers on paper even if it damages the club's reputation. The longest tenured employees there are the ones that are willing to screw any team member over as well as the customers. The culture built from the VP down is one of fear. There is absolutely no job security there. The company belief passed down is to cycle through as many young kids as possible, paying as little as possible, until they are ready to dispose of them. It is an absolute shame the company is run this way because the facilities are by far the best in Alaska. Become a member, but I would never recommend working there.
Pros
Free Membership
Cons
Work life, job security, pay, management
Like a field after a concert. Some holdouts but mainly garbage.
Clean Team Member (Former Employee) –  AlaskaDecember 27, 2017
Typical day consists of finding out what previous crew failed to do, then have to try and fix it when there is 11 more tasks that they throw on top of it. I learned from it that cause you get paid the least of everyone, they will have you "assist" other sections of the club. Normally putting you farther behind.

most enjoyable part was clocking out.
Pros
some few good people.
Cons
mainly everything, including "free membership" so they dont have to pay much since it's a bonus!
Ok work environment.
Member Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 11, 2017
The Alaska Club was not the best place to advance in. If you were not a favorit it was hard for you to get any where. Management did not handle most situations well. There were a lot internal things that needed to be changed. If they could take advantage of you they would.
Fun work place
Play Center Attendant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 30, 2017
Working for the Alaska Club was a great experience only because I enjoyed working with the kids, parents and my co-workers. The management at the Alaska Club could definitely use some improvement.