The ARC Northern Chesapeake Region Employee Reviews

This is sad
House Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDAugust 2, 2019
The Arc continues to terminate good employees. Meanwhile keeping staff that are actually violating company policy. The amount of neglect & abuse that goes on in this company and the overworked & under paid staff. The DDA needs to do a aduit along with the labor board.
Official response from The ARC Northern Chesapeake Region
August 5, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to post about your employment experience. I am sorry you had such a terrible experience.

The Arc NCR has very strict guidelines as what they terminate employees. We are consistent with our application and have very high standards and do not settle for anything less. We take the safety and well-being of the people we support and our team members very seriously.

In addition, employees have the ability to grieve their terminations if they feel they were wrongfully terminated. If you feel you were wrongfully terminated, I would suggest you follow those procedures.

It is also a requirement of all employees to report concerns of abuse and neglect. If you are aware and need to report concerns of abuse and neglect, I would also recommend you reach out to the QE department or contact our Integrity Hotline (information provided to all employees at orientation, posted throughout the building/houses, and in the handbook).

All concerns, whether they be employment concerns or concerns about the level of support we provide to the people we support, are all thoroughly investigated, taken very seriously, and properly reported to the necessary authorities and regulatory bodies.

Again, I am very sorry that your experience was not a positive one.

Great Mission
Supported Living Director (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDJune 17, 2019
Each day is different which is great! Enjoyed working with various teams and making difference in the lives of individuals and their families. They care about people.
Nice People to work with
Lead Job Coach/Direct Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Belcamp, MDMay 28, 2019
I worked there for 2 years and I mostly enjoyed my tenure with the ARC. Work atmosphere was pleasant and professional and my coworkers were good people.
An unfair job advancement / growth
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDJune 29, 2018
The ARC of Northern Chesapeake is not a company that I would recommend to someone who is looking for advancement in the organization. However, I did enjoy working with the individuals that had different types of disabilities. Also, I don't feel the organization main concern are the disabled individuals who they service.
Pros
Cons
treatment of employees and disabled clients
rewarding
Certified Medication Technician/Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDApril 23, 2018
I had not had a more rewarding position as I had at the ARC. Knowing I was helping people, who have had such a hard life gave me satisfaction that words can not describe.
great people to work for
Job Coach, Individual Community Advocate (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDMarch 7, 2018
The position offered opportunity to see the equal treatment of individuals with disabilities while being employed in the community. I enjoyed monitoring them and hearing the stories of their daily work day experiences.
Pros
watching their life evolve
Cons
the fruastrations of assisting those that you felt you could not help
Satisfying work experience. Great management support.
Supported Living Supervisor / Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MD 21001February 15, 2018
ARC Chesapeake is a satisfying work experience with great opportunities for advancement. Management support is excellent. Employee recognition is positive.
Fun yet stressful at the same time
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poolesville, MDNovember 30, 2017
I had to work with a spastic paraplegic lady in a wheelchair in an at-home care service. I had to feed her meals and give her daily dose of medicine in the evenings. I had to be like her companion by going on walks with her and talk to her and make her feel at ease and happy, yet sometimes I was not as happy as I should have been. I had my bad days and good days. Some days I was yelled and scolded at and some days I did a good job and was complimented. I liked how the family joked a lot and made it feel like an easy environment to work in.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
unnecessary heavy lifting
There are more challenges than rewards
SUPPORT COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MarylandSeptember 22, 2017
I work with individuals with various disabilities and behavior challenges. In my opinion, the Arc is client friendly and will do all they can for the individuals they serve, however, the staff turnover at the Arc is high because the employee moral is very low. The sentiment is people are hired to perform a job, they are trained so the job can be done correctly and expectation is the job is to be done, nothing more or less.
Pros
one can receive various discounts as an employee
Cons
spend alot of time away from family
rewarding
Case Manager/Job Coach (Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDJuly 6, 2017
With this current position I am able to make a difference and encourage and inspire individuals. I able to provide a service to help someone envision a goal and to see it be achieved.
Not a career
Coach (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDJuly 2, 2015
Management sucks! They stick up for each other And lie if there is an issue. The ceo does not like disabled individuals and hates to see them. There is no room for advancement and they do not give raises to anyone. This company is all about money and not the well being of the individuals. However the individuals are amazing! They are fun and full of energy.
Pros
Wonderful individuals, great coworkers.
Cons
Supervisors are horrible, horrible pay, no communication, money hungry company
Turn over rate is terrible
Med tech (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, mdJanuary 6, 2015
This place will drain you out and you are not recognized for your hard work. The pay is low. Management is the worst. They will write you up for anything. They do not care about their employees. Everything is about the client no matter what.
Pros
Helping individuals
Cons
Management. Non paid sleep ins. Hours.
Productive Workplace
Support Counselor (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDSeptember 5, 2014
Coming into work at The Arc is a wonderful experience. I take my Individual out into the community and assist her with any activities that she likes to do. I have learned so much about working with adults with disabilities such as patience, how to fill out and file paperwork, and also the proper training that I would need to work in the medical field. My co workers and I work together to get our tasks done and to make sure our clients are happy. I would not say that I have ahard time on the job. I absolutely love what I do. I enjoy taking my clients out into the community.
Pros
Getting the proper training needed to work in the medical field
Not a good company to work for
medicine aide (Current Employee) –  harford countyJune 28, 2014
the pay is low. management is terrible. they have a high turnover rate. and after you leave the company, they will try their best to black list you so you can't get another job in the health industry.
Pros
you help people with disabilities
Cons
low pay, shady business practices
i love work with disable adults
Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  aberdeen, mdJune 23, 2014
I am a job coach , transport clients to work sites, and assit them with there daily job needs
Pros
mon-friday
Cons
healthcare too expensive
mentally and overall draining
supervisor (Former Employee) –  BelcampFebruary 18, 2014
The benefits are good, but management is horrible. They have so many directors that give all the responsibility and hours to the supervisors that are paid salary so that you are making barely above minimum wage some weeks. ( They do not tell you that when you are hired). They will write you up for everything you do so if and when you are fired, they can try to deny you unemployment. If things ever go south, they will never get better no matter how hard you try. The mission of advocating for persons with disabilities is wonderful, but management makes it so hard to accomplish the tasks to succeed. The establishment in Belcamp is 99 percent women, and the ones in upper management are the ones you need to watch out for, they will turn on you in a blink of an eye. Too many women, too many directors make the workplace very unpleasant. Salary very low compared to local medium with more than 40 hours and 24/7 on call responsibility for no extra pay. The ARCNCR will drain you emotionally and mentally and will not appreciate your efforts one bit...so so sad considering the mission is to advocate for persons who do not have a voice. When you first start you are inspired, when you leave, you are clearly emotionally drained.
benefits
Cons
management
A very rewarding job
Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDJanuary 31, 2014
Everynight working Overnights I would maintain the cleaness of the consumer home. prepare meals, medication, complete all paperwork due for that day. Once consumer was awake I would help them with there daily morning routines.
Pros
you can help and advocate those whom are in need
Cons
mangement made the job/work very unpleasent
Challenging but very rewarding
Medicine Technician (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen MdAugust 16, 2013
A typical day at work would consist of helping the individuals with their daily tasks of living. Medical charting, medicine administering, filing and charting, reordering medication and assisting on doctor visits. The management was very nice but very unorganized when it came to documentation and what needed to be done within the company. Co workers were very great, not only did we build a bond with our clients we built a bond with each other. The hardest part of the job is learning to communicate with those who can not verbally communicate which ties in with the enjoyable part because it taught me something new and learned many ways to communicate without being verbal.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Unorganized Management
Learned valuable information on the world of Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities
Lead Coordinator, Cecil County (Current Employee) –  106 E Main St, Elkton MD 21921July 31, 2012
My role with The Arc NCR is the Lead Coordinator in Cecil County. I advocate for parents in schools navigating the Individualized Education Plan. I supervise Direct Support Staff as well. I prepare all Yearly Care plans for 15 individuals. I am the single supervising and administration employee for Cecil. It has been difficult to grow the agency in Cecil County because I spend most of my time in case management duties. It has been a blessing to work with wonderful people experiencing the world of development and intellectual disabilities.
Pros
working with wonderful folks with disabilities
Cons
the only staff supervising a satellite office