The Arc Wayne Employee Reviews

Work/life balance, great work family!
Staffing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newark, NYJuly 28, 2019
Our Agency is a great place to work, coming from a corporate environment wasn't sure of what to expect from a nonprofit but I can tell you I am glad I came to be a part of the Arc Wayne family; my team are more than coworkers, we are a work family that cares for each other and the well being of our staff, which benefits the individuals and the community we serve. If you are looking for a place to work where you will be inspired to thrive, look no more, come join the Arc Wayne.
Easygoing and fun workplace
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Newark, NYApril 10, 2019
I enjoyed getting to know the individuals and aiding them to become more independent. I believe that the company needs help with staffing and has a hard time hiring people. This results in lack of staffing and has a negative impact on the individuals being able to participate in outings.
Pros
Not a lot of stress
Cons
No breaks and low pay
dsp
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Newark, NYFebruary 26, 2019
taking care of people. Wash them, Clean their room and living areas. Maintain safety at all time. give them medicine every day and take them out on errands into the community
client based company
New York (Current Employee) –  Newark, New YorkDecember 6, 2018
Not your average place to work, I always my job is never dull, Workplace culture is new to them, they forget that their employees matter too not just their clients.

What I like about the job is helping the clients and seeing the smiles on their faces, knowing that even for a few minutes I made a difference in their day.
difficult at times
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Newark, NYOctober 28, 2018
residential is a all consuming environment to work in, the emotional attachment can be overwhelming....
when staffing is low the hourly expectation is very high.
ARC Of Wayne County
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Palmyra, NYJuly 4, 2018
I loved working there It was just not a family friendly hours.
To oversee the residents, complete their daily personal hygiene
Overseeing that residents’ personal goals and any household chores that need to be completed are being accomplished
Transport residents on outings in the community and to any appointments that they have made for them.
Engage residents in activities within the house or outside the home in the community
Supervise residents that have modified diets at meal times as well as prepare the meal
Good place to work, with good co-workers.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2018
Busy challenging days. Great team work and friendly people to work with. The people we serve are wonderful. We work an 8 hour day with a 45 minute paid lunch.
Pros
8 hour work day, 45 minute paid lunch
Work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Newark, NYMay 15, 2018
Wheelchair bound patients and one on ones. They are a great group of residence. You fall in love with them. The hardest part of the job is being understaffed. My favorite part of the job was joking and making the residence laugh. You learn to stay out of drama and focus on what your there for, the residence.
Pros
Residence, day hours
Cons
Pay
productive, remote, autonomous
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newark, NYMay 3, 2018
Wayne ARC has given me a chance to grow as a young professional on a management team and provides great pay for a bachelor level position. Allowed room for advancement, collective team approach, and my innovative ideas have been always supported by supervisors. I have been able to imrpove communication and diplomacy skills as well as expand my knowledge about the developmentally disabled, their role in community, and their rights.
Pros
autonomy in work place
Cons
travel, lack of administrative support to remote staff
A stressful place to work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Newark, NYMay 3, 2018
The job itself is not hard but the environment is toxic more often than not, with poor management, no appreciation, long hours, and pay that does not meet that of its competitors.
Pros
You get to meet awesome members of the community the agency serves, it is a learning experience and a learning opportunity.
Cons
Low pay, no supervisory support, long hours, hard of family and social life.
clients are fun to be with
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newark, NYApril 4, 2018
good place to work, feels like being with the family. They are also expanding looking for new ways to mix it up with the community. The ARC serves clients who have special needs.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
no overtime
not fun
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  newark nyFebruary 22, 2018
was all ways if you cant say some thing good don't say any thing if you kiss donna but you will do ok can be a good job but you have to be in a click
Awesome benefits, Poor Management
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Newark, NYFebruary 11, 2018
Love working with people and being apart of something positive. Management is overwhelmed and is not team functioning. Poor communication. Stressful work environment.
nice palce and people that work in kitchen where very nice.
Cook Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NYOctober 10, 2017
I enjoy what I did. leaned a lot . I enjoy working with the cook.They do meals on wheels which I found interesting how this was all put together. Had fun helping sever the meals, then someone would wrap them. there was always something to do every day. Some days more busy than others. The kitchen l lay out was hard to get around at times. It was a small kitchen and not a lot of counter space.
Pros
free lunch for kitchen staff
Productive place to work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Lyons, NYMay 31, 2017
Great place to work, very fulfilling job experience, with plenty of opportunity's to advance within the company. Great training and benefits even for part time employees.
Fun Workplace
Respite/Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Newark, NYApril 26, 2017
Provides care and supervision to individuals with developmental disabilities during agency sponsored recreation or group respite events, or in the individual's home in the absence of the primary caregiver.
Pros
Gained Experience
Cons
Distance
review
Resident Counselor (Former Employee) –  Newark, NYApril 26, 2017
this was my first direct support job. It was a great learning experience and the manager and staff were all very nice and helpful. This job changed my outlook on life and helped kickstart my career.
No support from upper management.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, NYApril 19, 2017
They expect more work with less personnel. Care more about bottom line than with working with disabled individuals. Zero support from executive level, more unrealistic demands. Used to be fulfilling, now just another bad job.
Pros
Cons
Everything else
do alot for little money
direct care staff (Former Employee) –  Sodus, NYMarch 23, 2017
It is a good place to work but you are responsible for way more then you get paid for. I think if they paid the employees better they wouldn't have such a turn over rate.
Chaotic and unorganized
Day Habilitation Instructor (Former Employee) –  Newark, NYFebruary 3, 2017
I learned that I can work in an environment that is not supported by management. I was still able to provide a happy and fun day for the individuals I was providing services for. Management did not communicate with staff or manage their staff. No consistency. This allowed for a hostile climate between co-workers. However, when things got tough they were able to put difference aside for the greater good. The hardest part of the job was trying to achieve unrealistic expectations without the resources to do so. The most enjoyable part was spending time with the individuals and hopefully making their day a little bit better.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pay did not match responsibility