The Arc of San Diego Employee Reviews

Great Company
Summer Camp Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 26, 2018
Worked a here for a summer camp and it was a great experience! The culture was very friendly and uplifting. Working with clients was so rewarding. Highly recommend.
Lack of consideration to the employees.
senior Department. (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMarch 5, 2018
This place is a nightmare to work there.
Management accused you for things you didn't do it.
They said the consumers are important but what is important to them it's their money.
A lot of gossip, discrimination and change of rules when it is convenient to them.
Worst place to take your love ones.
Or work there.
Pros
Good Healthcare benefits.
Cons
Poor management, lack of professinalism.
Fun place to work
Human Resources Coordinator Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 28, 2018
Assisted the human resources department in a variety of ways. Specialized in benefits and risk management along with recruiting and on-boarding. Attended recruiting events and depositions.
Low Wage for the work
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 2, 2018
This is a place someone without a degree will thrive. The low wages dont add up to the amount of work you do but they do a lot of hiring within so you can move up pretty quickly. You just have to tough it out. And make sure your physically fit. Job description says "50 lbs " but in reality you are lifting clients that are way more and it can start to weigh on your body.
Pros
Quickly move up in job title
Cons
Low wages, physically demanding
Great people
JOB COACH II (Current Employee) –  San DiegoNovember 20, 2017
The arc is an awesome place to work. The pay is low but the people and the flexibility make up for it! You are able to create your own schedule around others, are working out in the field and gain satisfaction knowing you are making a difference.
Misson Driven Organization
Vice President of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2017
Great organization to work where staff are committed to the mission. There are many tenured employees that are committed to serving individuals with disabilities.
great job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 30, 2017
Great place to get your foot in the door for the human services industry. The hardest part of the job is handling clients with behavior problems. The best part is to build relationships with unique individuals.
great place to work
Respite Caregiver (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 10, 2017
Everyone at The Arc Of San Diego is wounderfull. Very informative,
hands on. always willing to go out of there way to help you have a better work environment . Sorry i had to move away firm them
productive and fun place to work at
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 28, 2016
its a great place to work as a residential specialist, you get to meet knew clients and work with them to achieve their goals. I enjoy working in this productive fun place.
The Arc of San Diego
Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professional (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 3, 2015
The strength of this agency are the direct care workers. there is too much division between direct care and management.
A special place to meet exceptional people!
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 27, 2015
Working at the Arc of San Diego have been one of the greatest experience of my life! You meet personally these incredible people that teach you how to see life in a different perspective!
Great work environment, positive attitude, good benefits, people centered, great core values.
Front Desk Assistant Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 24, 2015
The Arc of San Diego is a great place to work. All employees are very supportive, caring about each other, helping each other to reach the organization's main goal, which is to support and empower people with disabilities to achieve their life goals. Everyone is a good team player. Their Vision and Mission describes not only the service they offer to the consumers (as they call their customers), but it also applies to the personnel, and how they treat each other with respect, care, and compassion. Everything is well organized, it is a safe place, and everything is clean and appropriate for the type of services offered there, which are to provide good care and support for a better quality of life for people with disabilities. What I like most of working at The Arc, is to serve others, it is all about the service and giving the right information about the programs to be more efficient and productive as an organization and to offer the best support and services to customers and their families.
Great consumers, management needed some work
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 21, 2015
The consumers were great to work with. I love teaching people and learning from people. The management was terrible though. They had their own little "clicks" and would just gossip all day in the front office like they were high school teenagers. Employees could write a book about the managements lives. The hardest part of the job was getting past the horrible management. The most enjoyable was getting to work with great individuals.
Pros
Got to do what I enjoy
Cons
management personal gossip
fun job
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 7, 2015
The arc of San Diego is a wonderful job. You definitely have to have patience because of the type of atmosphere it is. But it's pretty residential specialist. You get to be independent for the most part. No nagging manager like a lot of other jobs. The only down part is the pay doesn't coincide with the duties. We do a lot for the clients.
Pros
freedom
Cons
pay
Work place
Residential Lead Staff (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 11, 2014
Loved the company and what the offer to the employee. I also love working with the consumer.
A great job if you really love helping the older population
Residential Lead (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 18, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is undoubtedly the residents! Those guys always surprise you and are generally awesome! A typical day is pretty busy between running a program and cleaning and passing medications. By the day's end you are exhausted. Which brings me to one of the more disappointing aspects of this job: the pay. For everything you did throughout the shift, you rarely feel financially compensated.
Management (your supervisor) is typically pretty flexible, fair, and down to earth. Upper management (your supervisor's boss' boss...etc) are lost in the clouds. I'm pretty sure they have very important responsibilities, but when I go visit HR and see really nice expensive cars in the lot (probably not visitors') it makes me wonder if I'm being taken advantage of. But the intrinsic value of taking care of the older folk made me stick around.
Pros
Build really meaningful relationships with residents.
Cons
The Responsibility:Pay ratio is not exactly fair.
Worked with persons with disabilities
Direct Support Professional 1 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2014
Worked in a Community Based Program which focused on Vocational Skills. Was in charge of my own caseload of 3 people. Took them to their jobsite on a daily bases Mon - Fri. I assured safety and supervised them to ensure they were performing the skills accurately but at the individuals own pace. I assisted them with their objectives and their goals for each week which may include but not limited to grooming, coming to work with a neat appearance, money skills, leadership, etc... I got along with management and my co-workers very well. I was very reliable, flexible and dependable which meant that they could come to me for any assistance , change of worksites or groups, subbing for other co-worker of their duties. The hardest part of my job was saying goodbye. I loved everyone there, the consumers ( clients ), the staff, management. I just got real attached to everyone there . It was a wonderful experience. I enjoyed the people, the environment. Everyone from all departments. We were like family. The laughter that rang throughout the facility, the smiles , the conversations that were held with the consumers, the friends that were made there. this line of work as a whole is just amazingly rewarding. It was great. Nothing else like it.
Pros
Weekens off, Paid Holidays, Benifits available.
Cons
Not enough opportunities for carreer advancement unless you have degrees.
Caregiving
House Lead Caregiver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2014
Maintain professional communication with in house nurses, patients and staff.
hard work, underpaid.
Residential House Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 11, 2014
I really liked most of my co-workers and my superiors. Very rewarding work, but often hard. It was understaffed and hard to fill shifts as a supervisor.
Ideal for single people
QIDP (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 12, 2014
-It is a job with lots of responsibilities and being on-call is not fun.