Gannett Co., Inc. (The Arizona Republic)

The Arizona Republic Employee Reviews

Hostile work environment, but did my job well
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 1, 2018
Coworkers are cliquey, shady, and rude. Management likes to sleep with new hires, causing problems with HR ect.
Hours are very long during busy season. Sometimes they wont even let you leave, threaten to fire.
Pros
Lots of hours, sometimes its slow paced and laid back
Cons
Rude coworkers and some management, very unlikely to get a raise
productive and interesting
Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85014September 14, 2017
The position as a support specialist entailed a diverse types of work to be accomplished on a daily basis. There was a constant flow of work. There were times without ability to prioritize a person would be unable to complete daily tasks. I worked in that department for 5 years, the management was consistent and fair.
Pros
busy and with variety
Cons
no overtime offered
This place sucks
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 1, 2017
I worked here about last year & at first I thought it was going to be okay but after a while the job sucked! They let me go 20 days later after me being "Tardy" on Jan 3rd. I advise nobody work for The Arizona Republic WORST COMPANY. Management, Customers, Work environment sucks they don't care about the employees they will let you go for the most dumbest things ever. I hope this company shuts down
Pros
Cons
Everything sucks
old school company that has no clue about the future
Principal Developer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 5, 2017
Terrible old school ways of running IT.
Can't figure out whether they want to print a paper or host a website (completely different things)
Just not a great place for any developer looking to learn new skills.
Pros
meh
Cons
meh
Just a job
Journeyman pressman (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2015
Not real happy with this company , They have cut our Pay by 10% and are cutting man power to the point the job is getting overwhelming
Pros
I love running the press
Cons
I see no future
Always on call in the mailroom
Mailroom Trainee (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 1, 2015
In the mailroom you're primarily standing around machines that assembles the newspaper, feeding the machine heads with ads. Generally it's pretty easy and boring work, unless the ads are moving really fast. Saturday nights (and Thanksgiving) also involves hand stuffing, where you have to put the ad section in the main section of the paper by hand. Saturdays are pretty much required for everyone in the mailroom to work. Scheduling is extremely inconsistent and you're 'on call' if you have less than 5 scheduled shifts in a week.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Inconsistent scheduling, No holidays off
Advertising Coordinator
Advertising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 20, 2015
I worked in an fast paced, multi-tasking, team oriented environment. I worked closely with the sales reps and the clients to assess their advertising needs. Contract, artwork, etc
Not a good place to work
Data Entry Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 29, 2015
Do your job and if you need help you can for get about that. I didn't learn much there, for I had to train people to do my job of 9 yrs and then they let me go. Management doesn't care about there people. Some of my co-workers were nice and other you better not talk to them because they would make remarks about everything you do. There really was not hard part of my job, and really no enjoyable part of it.
The Best Job
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZMay 11, 2015
The Job I held at The Arizona Republic was the greatest job and I thought I would always be doing. But, This bad news is just the latest in what has been a long, sad downward spiral by the newspaper industry through most of this decade. The newspaper industry gave up denying that anything was wrong about five years ago, this abandoned the fantasy that this was going to be my lifetime career. Corporate restructures and cut backs left myself unemployed.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
deying industry
Fun and fast paced environment
Retention Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 25, 2015
Fun as a 1st job and got my customer and sales experience there. Prepared me fr my next and only job i've had for 7 years. Also had good experience working in a corporate setting and professional setting
Pros
flexible shifts, monthly bonuses
Cons
no healthcare
Great job. Learned alot.
Accounts Receivable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 18, 2014
Enjoyed working with computers and people in the processing of payments. I learned a lot with this job about computers and financial reporting.
A great PT job
NEWSPAPER CARRIER (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 8, 2014
Work for a newspaper was a long PT time job for me. Started from early morning to pre-assemble, fold, bag and delivery to customers driveway homes.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 20, 2014
I would still be there if it were not for the downsizing. The company really takes care of its employees
Information Specialist
Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 21, 2014
This position included writing, editing and posting online information about upcoming events.
fun place to work at
The Arizona Republic (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 18, 2013
It was fun working at the arizona republic. I could be doing my own work without anyone bugging me or asking me questions. I can be there any time i wanted to. The only hard part was it was 7 days a week and it had to be working nights,
Pros
i can get lunch break any time
Cons
it had to be done before 5am
Newsrooms are stimulating intellectually.
Reporter/Correspondent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 15, 2013
Developed story ideas, conducted interviews and wrote stories. Also used Twitter and Facebook to share news developments. In addition, took photos and videos for the printed newspaper, web site and television.
Pros
Flexible work hours, creativity required.
Cons
Covering night meetings and weekend events.
Productive, fast-paced work environment
Intern Reporter (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 1, 2012
As an intern, I was treated with the same respect as an actual employee. That respect, though, came with an expectation that I would deliver a quality product that lived up to the demands of their readers. I like to think I provided this with the help of my great coworkers and editors.

Reporting can be difficult, facts need to be perfect and irritable subjects or other circumstances can get in the way of you writing a good piece. But when you finally see your work in print or online, it's a great feeling.
Fun and entertaining to be a part of
newspaper courier (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 8, 2012
Every day was something new, and yet still the same. The people made it a great place to be even when things were bad.
Pros
weekly pay and early mornings
Cons
365 days a year with no days off
Productive and fun work place
Outside Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaDecember 26, 2011
Excellent working environment, great benefits, achievable goals,
Pros
excellent working environment, great culture, diverse, great benefits, good training, able to move to other departments and advancements

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Arizona Republic. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about