The Aroostook Medical Center Employee Reviews

Corporate Accountant (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEAugust 15, 2018
The Aroostook Medical Center is a good organization to work for overall. Although it has undergone many changes over the last few years - some good and some that could be better from an employee perspective- TAMC is a good place to work. The employees are friendly and helpful to each other. I've learned many skills working here and continue to learn each day. The hardest part of the job is the uncertainty due to many jobs being transitioned to EMHS for shared services etc. The most enjoyable part of my job are my coworkers- we are a small group and we truly work extremely well together and are always willing to help each other out when needed.
Pros
compensation is very good for this area
Cons
health insurance
Great Work Environment, Very Fulfilling
Guest Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEJune 11, 2018
I loved this job! I wish I could have taken this job with me when I went to college. It was a great part-time job for a student. She was flexible with the scheduling, offered more hours when available, understanding of life circumstances.
Pros
Great Work Environment, easy scheduling
Cons
work alone most of the time
High pace work environment with a lot of extras to your job
Healthcare Service Associate (HSA) (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEApril 24, 2018
I enjoyed my work in the department I was in. It is a very high pace job which I enjoy however they will load you up with unexpected duties and tasks without a lot of notice. Sometimes expectations for one persons duties is overwhelming. Most departments need more staffing then is provided.
Pros
Friendly working staff
Cons
most departments understaffed
Tamc
Financial Internship (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEMarch 30, 2018
TAMC works hard to ensure their employees are happy and well taken care of. The CEO is personable and accessible. Management is generally good and allow their employees the freedom to do their jobs.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEFebruary 7, 2018
While working at TAMC I have seen wonderful team work. Everyone is friendly and hard working, there's always someone asking what they can do to help you even the Nurses. Everyone cares so well for their patients. I would recommend TAMC to anyone.
good staff
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEJanuary 28, 2018
1430-2230. no lunch. three techs on evening shift. one covers hematology and blood bank. one runs chemistry and special chem. one floats (phlebotomy) and covers urinalysis and microbiology.
Professional Internship
HIM Internship, Acute Care (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEJanuary 13, 2018
Each manager and each department maintained a casual, yet professional atmosphere. I thoroughly enjoyed working and learning here. People are caring and patient. I was given numerous opportunities to job shadow, attend meeting and gain valuable experience.
It is a great place to work.
Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEDecember 22, 2017
I enjoyed my job and had a great manager and employees to work for and with. My job was rewarding and I got to meet alot of different people. I also lived working with the volunteers.
Pros
Gift shop employees got 20 percent off and the hospital employees got 10 percent off.
Cons
Healthcare was expensive.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MENovember 30, 2017
The hospital was a great place to work and I never intended to leave but was laid off when the upper management asked all departments to trim unnecessary workers to reduce budgets.
Pros
Great benefits
bad experience
Contract surgical nurse (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MENovember 19, 2017
poorly run OR. I never was treated like the permanent staff and was given the worse assignments daily.
I was not treated with respect or professionally
Pros
Cons
many

Want to know more about The Aroostook Medical Center?

Ask a question
Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEAugust 5, 2017
I enjoyed my time at The Aroostook Medical Center. I worked with a friendly group of people with compassion who put patient's first. Everyone strives to do their very best.
Productive work
Guest Relationship (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEMarch 11, 2017
You may know new people has a guest relationship working at the front desk at the hospital. It was a good experience at the time that I was there . I really recommended.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short Brreaks
Too many managers not enough hard workers
The lowest there is, and you are reminded. (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MENovember 25, 2016
I work there and have been trying to find some thing else for a couple months. It is the most vexing place on planet earth to work. You bust your behind and get crapped on while the ones who stumble around doing jack get rewarded, coddled, and praised. There is zero room for advancement, the pay for what you do is atrocious, and some of the people you encounter daily are nothing short of.... well I will leave that alone. There are some good ones I will admit. There are days where it really is not so bad but the bad does out weigh the good. Side note, the new CEO is fantastic and could well turn it all around. It starts by listening to the little people though.
Pros
Schedule stays relatively the same, unless your specific department manager is an idiot.
Cons
LAZY people, insanely complex and irritating hierarchy, two faced people up the wazzoo, drama factory, ZERO room for growth no matter your potential.
Hard working friendly atmosphere
Release of Information Technician (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MESeptember 30, 2016
I would answer multi-line phones, wait on customers coming into the department wanting medical records. Released medical records to various sites such as medical offices, lawyers, DHHS, Insurance companies ect. Familiar with HIPPA laws and patient confidentiality. Familiar with all office equipment. Microsoft office, Power chart and Centricity for retrieving electronic medical records. I also sorted and distributed mail. Invoiced. I loved the busy atmosphere, the friendly faces of the customers and the team environment. I enjoyed all aspects of the job.
Wonderful Nurses
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEJune 4, 2016
There are amazing nurses here, great to work with. Enjoyed working at TAMC very much and would return if the position was a good fit.
High standards to excel in job performance
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEJune 12, 2015
A typical 12 hour shift involves working in mother baby couplet assignments, attending deliveries, working with laboring patients, pediatric patients. The staff work well together and we "huddle" every couple hours and change assignments accordingly if needed.
Pros
enjoyable staff
Cons
not always able to get lunch break uninterrupted
Great people and great work enviroment
Travel RN in ICU (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEMarch 9, 2015
Such good people to work with and for! I miss it already! Everyone genuinely cares about the patients and take care of each other. It was such a small town intimate feel. I enjoyed working there.
Get to take a step back and look at the work and say I did that.
Volunteer-Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Aroostook CountyJuly 30, 2014
using a self push mower, weed wacky, mulch and weeded the flower beds.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Good experience in multiple areas.
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEJune 21, 2014
Typical day was 12hours 7-7 or 8-8. There would be anywhere from 2 -3 of us working per day. The person working 7-7 was responsible for patients with respiratory illnesses or exacerbations in ER, ICU, and delivery of treatments to general floor care as well.
The person working 8-8 would cover outpatient pulmonary function testing, and when there was no test schedule would return to help other RT with floor care.
They required us to carry the call pager because there was no 24 hour RT. So we carried it through the night and over the weekend. We rotated about once per month for weekends Fri, Sat., and Sun.
Weekly about twice per week.
We also took care of any related respiratory care tasks such as replacing o2 tanks, management responsibilities such as charge reconciliation, inventory management, and writing quality assurance goals or ways to improve quality of care for our department.

Other respiratory therapists were great. Some of the RN's were great too.

Management of our department was micro managed by four people. Three out of the four you would never see. The acting RT supervisor didn't allow us to use our own clinical judgement or trust our assessments. We weren't able to ask justifiable questions or ask to clarify why or what for MD orders.

Our department was in the basement, but good size for storage. Later found out that the room was extremely high with electro-magnetic radiation, we had to be moved, and relocated to a pt room that was no longer being used. It was small and we couldn't store hardly any equipment with us.

Hardest part of the
  more... job dealing with all of the micromanagement that went on with the lack of demonstrable leadership without gratitude when doing something well, and lack of unsupported educational opportunities.

Most enjoyable part was helping patients with therapies, performing pulmonary function tests on patients, educating patient's about medications, smoking cessation, and respiratory illness management.

I enjoyed giving inservices to the ER/paramedics about conventional ventilation and non-invasive ventilation during transport.

I enjoyed working with the staff in the ER because they were very much a team oriented environment in which we all helped each other in our own scopes of practices make our jobs less stressful during a high stress time.
Pros
Work in a variety of settings as a respiratory therapist.
Cons
Poorly managed RT department, and poor communication.
Fun and comfortable
Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEMay 13, 2014
I enjoyed the short amount of time that I worked at this company. The girls I worked with were very helpful, friendly and very knowledgeable. The manager was easy to talk to and very understanding with any personal matters.