The Art Institute of Chicago Employee Reviews

great experience
Seasonal Temporary Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60603March 21, 2019
great overall working experience. one of my first jobs in the shipping & receiving and was actually one of the most fruitful jobs I've had so I would recommend the job to any serious enough to take it on as a career
Aic
Protection Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2019
Was a great location and staff wile the time lasted. Once I made the decision it was time to part ways, nothing was held against me and the transition was smooth. I'd recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
Paid Time Off rollover program
Cons
lack of advancement/promotions in-house
Great place to volunteer, not hiring part time/full time permanent
Concierge/Greeter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2018
Great place to volunteer if you have free time available. I would have loved to become a full time employee, but was told it wasn't in the budget. :(
Pros
Great evnironement with friendly people
Cons
Volunteer positions only with not pay!!!
Stressful and competitive work environment with good benefits and 401K
Museum staff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2018
Worked at AIC for four years and never received any professional advancement. Pay is low but good benefits and paid time off. Lack of diversity on executive and senior level. Stressful at times and can be toxic due the competition for limited resources. Hire incompetent managers who pretend to have expertise but rely on low level staff to complete their tasks. To be fair the museum has been working on initiatives to improve the diversity of the staff, but slow moving and conservative leadership prevents the museum from improving in this area.
Biggest benefit is being part of a great institution in a great location.
Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 26, 2018
Working in the museum store is regular retail work. Working in shipping and receiving is a fair wage for easy work, but nothing one could live in Chicago off alone. Was a pleasant place to be every day, and interesting to get to see the gear works of this operation.
Pay stinks
Assistant to the Chair (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisAugust 29, 2018
No chance for advancement. The pay is terrible and benefits are not that great. It is very political. It operates like a medieval fiefdom. If you are a curator, you will have little power.
Pros
vacation
Es una empresa de alta calidad en cuanto a servir sus alumnos y facultad.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2018
Como alumna de la escuela y por haber trabajado anteriormente para ella siento que es una empresa que hace esfuerzo para brindar un excelente servicio a sus alumnos, la facultad y los empleados.
Good Place to work.
Banquet Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 15, 2018
The Art Institute of Chicago was a good place to work. The Art Institute offered great benefits, a fair work/life balance and many learning opportunities.
Art Institute
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2018
Always a fun day watching an helping the customers.But most of all learning about the Art in the galleries.A great place to work good personal,also the most stressful put of the job was making sure it stayed clean all over the building
Pros
Sometimes sit down dinners
Cons
we were allowed longer breaks
Be ready
Membership & Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2018
Day starts with visitors lining up to buy tickets for the museum and museum products and doesn't end till the line goes down. You are ask to sell items to make your monthly goal.
Pros
Lots of PTO
Cons
Could lose your job if your sales goal isn't met.
Fun place to work
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 5, 2018
Nice place to work. Limited advancement in certain position. Compensation is not great at all. Met a lot of celebrities and nice people. Not a career.
Competitive
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2018
Contract work. No job security. Fun teaching experience. Great students. All about who you know. Very little guidance on what and how to teach but lovely people.
great place to work
Membership Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2018
great non for profit to work for! The pay could be a little better considering you have to deal with so many people and because you don't really have much flexibility with your schedule, but there is a great amount of paid time off.
Relaxed and Collaborative but low salaries
staff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2018
Everyone is pretty relaxed. Managment allows for independence. Pto is very generous and benefits are decent. Pay is too low for most positions. Money seems to be stuck at the top of the org charts.
AIC Museum Shop Sales Associate
Museum Shop Saes Associate (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMarch 10, 2018
Good benefits. Enjoyed working with most co-workers. Position is VERY hard work for VERY LITTLE pay or incentive. Each sales associate is given an individual monthly sales goal. The goals will differ depending on the time of year and if you are using any paid time off. I was able to make my goals, but not without conflict arising between co-workers.
Management struggles to create a team-work atmosphere. Sales associates compete against each other. Mangement not supportive in preventing co-worker conflicts. Will allow anyone who consistently makes their monthly goal get away with bad behavior towards others. Pollyanna excuses were given by the manager. It is very common knowledge that other departments look down on employees from the museum shops. Turn-over is always high.
Pros
Great if you like art and meeting people from around the world.
Cons
Poor pay, management ineffective in creating a team-work atmosphere.
Museum- Could've been great if it wasn't for Poor Manangment
Finance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2018
I had really high expectations coming to work here. I thought it would be a great place to work, learn a lot and expected peers to be professional. Co-workers are very petty and the way to be liked is by kissing up to management. Management gave no help or direction. Didn't talk to me only on occasion in the few months I was there. Talked to me when mistakes were made. Some of the hardest working employees were overlooked and treated poorly. Management definitely had favorites. I've had a lot of managers in my career, this was by far the worst I've experienced. I've had some micromanaging bosses that were better than the management here. A lot of people seem lost when it comes to tasks. When things went wrong, people looked to blame others. Some don't take ownership of their job duties and others do it for them. Communication within departments are lacking. Emails are very condescending from some coworkers. A lot of inflated egos and god forbid you say something they don't like. Save the trouble and don't apply. I heard the school is nicer to work for than the Museum. I guess just stay clear from the Museum.
Pros
The Beautiful Art
Cons
Some of the Staff
great stepping stone job
Columbus Wood and Metal (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2018
great place to work and learn but you definitely have to think of it as a transition job. The pay is low and the managers are great but the school its self doesn't treat its workers well.
Working at SAIC
Adjunct Professor, Film (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 23, 2017
I've enjoyed my time at SAIC. The students and staff are wonderful. The equipment used is up to date and taken care of and the environment is friendly and hard working.
creative environment
TEACHERS ASSISTANT/PROJECTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2017
back when I worked there things were different but I feel that teachers could spend more time on lighting and cinematography in their film classes. A
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
not all Professors were nice
I am pleased to be a part of this fine organization - The Art Institute of Chicago
volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2017
I have volunteered at the Art Institute of Chicago for more than 20 years. It is an educational, up-lifting, people person place to work. Assisting visitors from all over the world is truly a delight.
Pros
lovely atomospher
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Art Institute of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

The Art Institute of Chicago Reviews by Location