The Art Institute of Houston Employee Reviews

It was fun at first, but things went wrong.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 4, 2018
Working at the Art Institute of Houston was very fun. However, when we received new management, things went wrong. The manager was disorganized and rude. She didn't have any computer experience and expected us to do her job. It was ridiculous.
Pros
Good to improve communication skils
Art Institute Work Day
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 2, 2018
Arrive Early. check in and monitor the days activities and communicate and coordinate with Supervisors and students to maintain academic standards and procedures with in regional accreditation policies.
Pros
Relaxed Environment
Cons
Teaching environment
The student are great!
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 12, 2018
I enjoy helping students and helping people achieve their ultimate goals. It's not about me, it's about helping other get where they need to be in life.
Great
Library Assistant - Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2018
This is a great job. Make no mistake, you will work. Everyone thinks we do not work at all because we are allowed to have our laptops out. If you want to know the duties ask the people that are currently there, as I am not your father and you will have to learn the proper way.
Good Starting Point
College Student (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2018
Great school and Staff. They are very knowledgeable. They work really hard at helping the students. They even offer evening classes. I would have to say this is one of the best schools and program out there for nursing. If you want to make a change in careers, this is the place. They also have small classes and a lot of one on one time.
I have obtained may skills that will benefit me in the future.
Great salary with health insurance benefits but poorly managed.
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2018
Enjoyable part of the job is great salary with health insurance and the hardest part of the job were the following: fellow admission reps steal your students, highly competitive, working environment is a bit noisy other admission reps are very noisy making calls, managers are always on admissions reps throats to bring in more students.
Pros
Great salary with health insurance benefit.
Cons
Poor management, stressful, and no room for growth.
I rather not
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 10, 2018
I enjoyed attending school here and working here but it was greatly lacking in the area of pay, structure and support. it was lacking as a student in support
Fun place to be around
Dresser (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 9, 2018
Overall great experience to be able to network with many designers and stylist. As well as also having some interactions with the models. It helps you build networking connections.
Good place to work.
Assistant Director of Admission (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2017
A typical day at work is providing great customer service to students . I learned to work with different people of different backgrounds. Management is very supportive. The hardest part of the job was telling students they were not accepted. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people .
Pros
work life balance
Cons
compensation
Very productive and fun at times
Financial aid officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasMarch 2, 2017
Worked with prospective students and parents to see what the student qualified for as far as the state regulations. I learned suburb customer service skills. Workplace culture was good and I got along with everyone. The hardest part of the job are the interruptions but I could always make it work out. The most enjoyable part of the job is customer service and working with new students and their parents.
No room to advance/job security
Assistant Director/Admissions (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2017
You work about 8 hours a day. Management is okay. The hardest part is cold calling student s and the cost of school. I enjoy my coworkers.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Advancement
Fun place until reality sets in
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Main campusJuly 27, 2015
I joined Ai Houston two years ago. I wanted a job where I could make a positive difference in people's lives. My coworkers are fun and we get to have some great times outside of work but after awhile I began to feel that I was just sticking hopeful (and often low-income) students with huge debt. Despite that, I have carried on and been one of the best Admissions reps there, yet all of my work and dedication is just pushed aside if my conversion rate falls lower than they want. So instead of using my talents, they just push me to work harder and not reward any of my dedication up until this point.

This job is just a stepping stone, I wouldn't suggest anyone make a career of this and do not stay too long, the stress from management will make you more and more stressed each day. You are only as good as your previous week and management will only look upon you well, if you convert, otherwise you are just someone they have to deal with.
Pros
Great coworkers, fun events, getting to work with people
Cons
Micro-management, unrealistic goals
Student Farm
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 13, 2015
The pressure to pressure students is very high. The staff, outside of management, are a wonderful group of creative talents. Management has little to no passion/investment in impacting students lives. Everything is about the bottom line. The hardest part of the job was to unknowingly be thrown into a sales position. The most enjoyable part of the job was the lunch break required by law to take and watching the management cringe because they would we not have any breaks, ever.
An interesting place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2015
I enjoyed working with the students and the different dynamics they each bring to the school. I also enjoyed the opportunity to work outside of my department with all levels of management for various activities and school functions.
Great place to work and interact with students
Associate Registrar/Veteran Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 22, 2015
My typical day is working closely with students, staff, faculty, deans, and the president that needed assistant from the Registrar's Office. I learned about the different VA education chapters, how each one of them work and applies to each individual veteran. Making sure that I communicate to each veteran the rules of each chapter and the rules that applies to the Art Institute as well. Most of all I had to stay on top of the changes that might apply to the veterans. My co-workers was incredible we work very closely together, by keeping the communications open and helping each other out to get the job done. I believe the hardest part of the job was having to leave after being there for thirty years. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the veteran students and my co-workers.
Pros
friendliness and love for the job
Stressful environment
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 16, 2014
Worked the late shift. Micro managed through out the entire day. PR big with this school.
Pros
Beautiful facility
Cons
Very stressful
Best of both worlds
Dean of Student Affairs (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 3, 2014
The Art Institute of Houston encompasses the best of higher education due to the opportunities to have direct interaction with students as they develop as professional artists. Ai also is a great place to work and learn the "business of higher education."

People who are willing to learn the business practices of the organization are rewarded with growth opportunities.

This is a challenging and satisfying place to work
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
contstant struggle to balance teaching and business
coworkers are nice, but mgmt and overall enviornment is terrible
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 21, 2014
Please do not get suckered into thinking this is an admissions job, it is a very high pressure sales job, pure and simple. Your quotas are constantly raised and you will work a lot of nights and weekends. I was told it was the occasional Saturday, try 85% of my Saturdays. Management is under pressure to "make classes" and that falls squarely on the salespeople's shoulders. They will accept anyone, there are no standards.
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
too many to list
Loved working here
Sr. Loan Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2014
This is the job that got me started in financial aid, I really miss this place.
Good First Job
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 26, 2014
not perfect, but its an ok first job right out of college.
Best part is helping creative people, move towards their dreams..
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
high pressure sales