The Art Institutes Employee Reviews

Please be careful!
Librarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 15, 2018
I was employed by The Art Institute through work study. The job was fine, I enjoyed it but the school does not care one bit for the staff or students. The one in Minnesota shut down a few months after I left, serves them right! They gouged my fasfa and loans for their own benefits! Stay FAR away from this school and do NOT mix it up with the Institute of Art, most people do. The Institute of Art is amazing, the Arts Institute scares students into going to their schools.
Pros
nothing
Cons
the business
Shutting down
Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2018
As you probably have seen, they are shutting down campuses all over the country. They were once a leader in education, however, greed took over. Avoid them at all costs.
AIM is no longer in business
Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 13, 2018
School no longer does business at this location. I really have nothing to say beyond that but this requires 150 characters so. One more line should do it.
You can find something better
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 5, 2018
Not too much to say, but just know, you can do an amazing job at your position, but the company is going through a lot of changes and you can lose your job at any moment. The school is good for the students, but the organization isn't like it used to be. The Art Institutes is trying to build its brand back up, i.e. why they changed to a nonprofit venue (The Dream Center). But with change, there is no guarantee for your job or your advancement. Now is not the best time to join the organization if you're looking for a job for the long-run. Good luck though!
Pros
Flexible hours (9-6; 10-7; or 11-8); Great programs; Great students
Cons
job security; job advancement; fair pay
Great place to work if you aren't looking for advancement
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 11, 2018
Met some great people. Upper management was so unorganized and the company was always under constant threat of campus closures and RIF's. No room for advancement and not very diverse in terms of promotions to management level positions.
Pros
Great people, excellent pto plans, decent benefits
Cons
No room for advancement, numerous layoffs and lack of diversity in management departments
The Best Boss
STUDENT WORKER (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 10, 2018
My supervisor was not only understanding but very communicative. She would be very clear in the instructions and day to day goals for work. When it was slow she allowed us to work on homework and side projects and work with our schedule.
Short sighted managers
High School Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2018
Managers who never spend any appreciable time learning or understanding my job, yet declare that they do know and understand it, and make (bad) decisions affecting my job without consulting me. The idea of consulting me -someone who they are 'superior' to, is anathema.
Pros
The core job
Cons
Management and co-workers
changes
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 26, 2018
Changes from for profit to non profit have made for some instability in terms of jobs. Overall a great place to work and to go to school. Time will tell if there will be stability after it was acquired by a nonprofit.
fun job
High School Representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 2, 2018
I loved my job as a high school representative. But with all of the legal and financial issues the school has been having, I would feel guilty recommending it.
Great School
VP Registrar Operations and Policy (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 2, 2018
This is an organization that cares for their students and works hard to make the necessary adjustments to the challenges in today' proprietary education market. Superb people work for this organization, they have always had a reputation for hiring the best in the market at all levels.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
promotion opportunities are few. Leadership development is lacking.
Dream Job
High School Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 26, 2018
As an outside sales rep i managed the territory in North Colorado. If you meet your daily weekly and monthly goals I had very little communication with my management.
Great Company!
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAApril 12, 2018
Great, Non-Profit School looking to advance the lives of their students and employees. Verify supportive in career goals and assisting with positional advancement.
The college closed.
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 22, 2018
Nothing else to say, it closed.
The Art Institutes International closed on December 29th 2017. All employees were let go. So in short no one works the any more.
Great
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 14, 2017
Really enjoyed working for the Art Institutes. Met some life long friends. Really enjoyable atmosphere. I would most likely give it a second chance if I could.
Awful Work Conditions
Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 18, 2017
Students are frustrated as they are charged exorbitant money for an inferior education. Faculty are beaten down and exhausted. Management are regularly fired and replaced contributing to the chaos.
Pros
Cons
Abusive management
School is closing
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 8, 2017
College is closing in December. Has been in close out for one and half years. Work is very slow at the moment, 54 students remain.
Everyone is looking for an new job, but having difficulty.
Pros
Excellent co-workers
Cons
Corp manangement horrible.
Good learning opportunity
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2017
A good place to learn financial aid because you will utilize all aspect of the process. The people are fun to work with and most of them are extremely knowledgeable about their roles.
Stimulating atmosphere
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 10, 2017
Wonderful students, staff and group of instructors.
I have very much enjoyed my time as an instructor at Ai. Minnesota and regret that it is closing.
Pros
Freedom to design course cuirriculum
Great People - Lost What's Important
DIRECTOR OF ADMISSIONS (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 28, 2017
Great faculty and staff in Austin. Unfortunately, executive leaders do not create a culture of trust or teamwork. They lack transparency and when times get tough, they try to motivate through fear instead of building their people up. This is a great place for students, but as an employee, it can wear on you quick. They try to do good things, but again when it's crunch time, executive leadership reverts back to bad habits and never accepts responsibility.
rigid corporate work place.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJuly 19, 2017
The Art Institutes are a sinking old fishing boat, not even a ship. They were fishing innocent and naïve kids and people to put under $100000 education depth without any future jobs, and not telling them the truth that they are not cut for arts and design. Perhaps, Obama Administration’s gainful employment has to do with the sinking too.
Pros
Faculty and Academic management and staff are awesome.
Cons
president and regional VP are frauds

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Art Institutes. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight