The Art Institutes Employee Reviews

fun job
High School Representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 2, 2018
I loved my job as a high school representative. But with all of the legal and financial issues the school has been having, I would feel guilty recommending it.
Great School
VP Registrar Operations and Policy (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 2, 2018
This is an organization that cares for their students and works hard to make the necessary adjustments to the challenges in today' proprietary education market. Superb people work for this organization, they have always had a reputation for hiring the best in the market at all levels.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
promotion opportunities are few. Leadership development is lacking.
Dream Job
High School Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 26, 2018
As an outside sales rep i managed the territory in North Colorado. If you meet your daily weekly and monthly goals I had very little communication with my management.
Great Company!
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAApril 12, 2018
Great, Non-Profit School looking to advance the lives of their students and employees. Verify supportive in career goals and assisting with positional advancement.
The college closed.
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 22, 2018
Nothing else to say, it closed.
The Art Institutes International closed on December 29th 2017. All employees were let go. So in short no one works the any more.
Great
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 14, 2017
Really enjoyed working for the Art Institutes. Met some life long friends. Really enjoyable atmosphere. I would most likely give it a second chance if I could.
Awful Work Conditions
Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 18, 2017
Students are frustrated as they are charged exorbitant money for an inferior education. Faculty are beaten down and exhausted. Management are regularly fired and replaced contributing to the chaos.
Pros
Cons
Abusive management
School is closing
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 8, 2017
College is closing in December. Has been in close out for one and half years. Work is very slow at the moment, 54 students remain.
Everyone is looking for an new job, but having difficulty.
Pros
Excellent co-workers
Cons
Corp manangement horrible.
Good learning opportunity
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2017
A good place to learn financial aid because you will utilize all aspect of the process. The people are fun to work with and most of them are extremely knowledgeable about their roles.
Stimulating atmosphere
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 10, 2017
Wonderful students, staff and group of instructors.
I have very much enjoyed my time as an instructor at Ai. Minnesota and regret that it is closing.
Pros
Freedom to design course cuirriculum
Great People - Lost What's Important
DIRECTOR OF ADMISSIONS (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 28, 2017
Great faculty and staff in Austin. Unfortunately, executive leaders do not create a culture of trust or teamwork. They lack transparency and when times get tough, they try to motivate through fear instead of building their people up. This is a great place for students, but as an employee, it can wear on you quick. They try to do good things, but again when it's crunch time, executive leadership reverts back to bad habits and never accepts responsibility.
rigid corporate work place.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJuly 19, 2017
The Art Institutes are a sinking old fishing boat, not even a ship. They were fishing innocent and naïve kids and people to put under $100000 education depth without any future jobs, and not telling them the truth that they are not cut for arts and design. Perhaps, Obama Administration’s gainful employment has to do with the sinking too.
Pros
Faculty and Academic management and staff are awesome.
Cons
president and regional VP are frauds
Academic Director
Academic Director (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 19, 2017
I worked there as an academic director and it was the worst job experience ever. The management is terrible. They pressure the directors and faculty to call students to register for courses until their quota is filled. They do not value your pedagogical skills but your sales skills.
They recruit students with no background for college mostly to get their student loans. It is sad.
The faculty and directors turn around is huge. They don't stay for long time because it is a hard place place to work.
If you are desperate for a job keep in mind that you are going to work for a corporation that has a terrible culture to get money from those who need the most and don't value your pedagogical skills.

If you can pass it.
No job security
Full Time Faculty (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJuly 18, 2017
Right to work state here in California so you can be fired at the drop of a hat with absolutely no compensation even after years of giving to the company. A very political place to work if you keep your head down and try to be invisible you'll probably survive. Worked online for them for a while but when I calculated the hours I was making $10 an hour teaching online with three degrees. As for the degrees offered some of the teachers are fantastic but students will be coming out of this college$90,000 in debt I'm looking for jobs about $40,000. Add that to the cost of living in California.... Well you get the picture. Hard to support that even as a faculty member.
Pros
Some wonderful teachers to work with.
Cons
Very political competitive Private Industry where profit comes before education
Typical corporate environment
Academic Director (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, CAMay 20, 2017
Typical corporate environment. Competency, initiative and hard work are taken for granted. The lack of the above seems to be irrelevant though. It is mostly about meeting deadlines and metrics.
Terrible culture and managment
Career Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 7, 2017
AI HOUSTON was a terrible experience. The leadership didn't acknowledge the "lesser" employees. There was no sense of community or cooperative culture. If you need a job, fine. But if you have options, pass.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
management, culture, leadership
former employee
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 11, 2017
Run, don't go there it's changed, and it's a sinking ship No job security, it's al about the folks on top, you are just a number to them. Great admissions reps but the management will kill your drive.
Great team to work with, awful corporate management.
Staff (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaDecember 23, 2016
A great place to learn about the downfall of for-profit secondary education. High standards are set in place for faculty and staff, but low standards in enrollment requirements.
Pros
Comradery among faculty and staff.
Cons
Upper management lack of communication.
Great Place to work. Fun atmosphere.
Culinary and Multimedia Specialist /Recruiter (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 3, 2016
Working in the High Schools and education students about their future careers in the Arts was wonderful. I had the opportunity to travel to several states. All my co-workers were great. My Boss was the best ever!
Pros
Working from home and planning my own schedule.
Cons
Company grew to fast and had to lay off people who had been there for many years.
A day in the job
CIRCULATION DESK CLERK (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 3, 2016
A day at the job would be opening the door, turning on the lights and making sure that everything that was set up on the desk the day before was in its place or else I have to report stolen property to the manager. I would sometimes change the printer paper, fix the printer if the toner was out of order and send help tickets to the technicians if any of the computers had any issues for either the workers, or the students.

I helped new students get their IDs and for the students leaving the school, I would help them set up their exit counseling at the computer lab.

I learned how to be able to communicate with people and persuade them for buy an item, and be patient with customers on the phone even if they were obviously agitated with something.

The hardest part of the job was handling people during the midterm days and the finals. Many people would rush to the desk asking for a textbook on whatever subject they may be taking a test on that day.

The most enjoyable part was meeting nice people as my coworkers who helped me. Even when they were off duty and they saw that I was the only one working and about 30 people waiting in line, they came to help me because people are just not patient.
Pros
Never a time where you have nothing to do. There is always something to do in this job.
Cons
Sometimes you are the only one on duty and because of this, maybe on that day you won't have any breaks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Art Institutes. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.1

1.8Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight