The Barrington of Carmel Employee Reviews

Mean / impatient staff / long Hours / no social life
Server (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMarch 5, 2019
I live by a quote I’ve always had. “ Don’t get so busy making a living, that you forget to make a life “ I was at The Barrington for only 2 days because the first impression I got was enough to know the job was not for me. Saw my schedule and they were going to make me work 12 hours a day for 6 days a week!!!! On my first day, the cook was so mean and had such an attitude, very rude and so impatient with me. second day, the same with another staff member. They took no consideration into the fact that I was new and learning the ropes. My wife and I have just had a baby girl 5 months old and the 12 hour shifts is not only ridiculous but not ideal for my family because I don’t get to see my daughter at all!!! If I knew I would be doing these hours, I wouldn’t have even applied for the job. If they told me that at the interview I could have avoided wasting everyone’s time. I didn’t get a very good impression to be honest. It is a nice beautiful place, but some of the staff are terrible towards others. It really wasn’t for me at all!!! I understand we all need to work but, my family will always come first before any job where I don’t see my family in the position!!!
Pros
Beautiful place.
Cons
Inconsiderate, rude and mean staff, long hours, no social life.
March 7, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and congratulations on your baby girl. We’re disappointed that your role at our community wasn’t a great fit during this period of transition. Please rest assured that work-life balance and providing a welcoming and supportive environment for all team members are key focuses at our community, and we’ll continue to strive for them each and every day. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Qma (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INFebruary 14, 2019
Management is racist. If you are African American this is not the place you would want to work at. It’s a lot of racism and favoritism. I would never ever recommend anybody to work for this company. It looks good on the outside but it is horrible in the inside.
February 26, 2019

We’re disappointed to read this review and to learn that your experience as a team member didn’t meet your expectations. We value our associates and operate with the highest level of integrity. We’d be happy to discuss your experience with you and clarify some of the things you mentioned. Please reach out to our compliance officer at 317-810-1810.

Poor Management
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INDecember 18, 2018
This used to be a good place to work but it has gone down management is useless, they don't listen to employees concerns, if you are not one to kiss their behind then you are out of luck. They had us solicit money from the residents to go towards our bonus for Christmas, they bragged about how they have collected tones of money yet our bonus checks were peanuts so that tells you someone in management pocketed that money. I loved all my residents but I had to part ways with them due to greedy selfish managers. They are so quick to go after your license if they don't like you so be warned!! If you have an issue there is not one soul to help you because management are all friends and hangout together starting from HR,DON,ADON, Administrator, Managers! take your skills somewhere else until management straighten out
Pros
residents are amazing
Cons
horrible management
December 20, 2018

We’re disappointed to read this review and to learn that your experience as a team member didn’t meet your expectations. We value our associates and operate with the highest level of integrity. We’d be happy to discuss your experience with you and clarify some of the things you mentioned. Please reach out to our compliance officer at 1-800-336-1931.

Poor Executive Management
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INSeptember 30, 2018
While working at The Barrington of Carmel there was much immaturity within upper management and HR. While they try to be confidential the doors aren't sound proof.
The residents are amazing and a pure pleasure to be around. The building is beautiful and the residents are always a prioroty.
Pros
Free lunches, residents
Cons
Not enough paid days off to cover holidays and take a vacation, poor management ethics and morales
October 1, 2018

Thank you for your feedback, and for mentioning that our residents are always our highest priority. We encourage you to reach out to our human resources team to discuss your concerns about confidentiality and other specifics of your employment. We value our team members greatly, and strive to provide them with everything needed for a rewarding experience.

Fun Place With Less Than Fun Management
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMarch 28, 2018
As a Housekeeper, I found that the residents and line staff were wonderful and great to work with. Line workers understand team work. However, after discussions with the Executive Director and higher ups, I was met with faux attentiveness, no sympathy, and a general "that's life" attitude.
They have no sick days. If you are sick, they will penalize you for it. Family emergencies or vehicle troubles? Penalized. They work on a point system. Which means... if you are out sick for a week, you're over half way to fired. Also, you HAVE to use PTO for everything - even though it's an accrual system.
The pay is under-par and they have no problem hiding information from current employees to ensure they stay - while bringing in temp workers with more pay (though fewer benefits). There is NOT room for growth for their employees if you have a resourceful and creative mind. However, if you can ignore the politics of the job and never get sick, you'll be just fine. The residents and coworkers are the real reason to stay.
Pros
Free lunch, benefits, parties
Cons
Management, Attendance Policies, Odd PTO policies
April 2, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate all feedback and take it seriously. Regarding your comments, we’d like to clarify that we offer a very generous package that includes paid time off for vacation, emergencies and sick leave. We practice an open door policy and always list en to our team members, offering frank and honest answers to their questions. We’d be glad to discuss your concerns with you in greater detail. Please contact us if that’s something you wish to pursue. We’re proud of our team here at The Barrington.

Management lacks management skills
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMarch 15, 2018
I worked for this company for almost 2 years loved every bit of my job until they started changing management. I busted my butt at this job and there was a lack of advancement here for me. I went PRN and was terminated from THE BARRINGTON without notice. Management is extremely unprofessional and lack compassion for employees.
Pros
Work environment
March 19, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and for the two years you spent with us. We’re disappointed your opinion of management doesn’t match the positive experience you had working here. While we can’t speak to your specific experience, it’s possible for a PRN to come off the rotation if they don’t pick up a shift. We’d be more than happy to discuss this with you further to see if this was the case and address any additional concerns you may have. Please contact Jeanne Henry, HR Director, at 317-810-1812.

Love the residents and most of the staff
Plaza Lifestyles Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INFebruary 17, 2018
Enjoyed the PTO, relationships I built. There was no advancement for me and the ED was very unprofessional and lacked empathy. The residents were wonderful and I made great friends while working there
February 20, 2018

We’re disappointed you left The Barrington with a less than positive impression. Regardless of where our team members’ careers take them, we always hope those who pursue other opportunities look back on their time here with fond memories of friends made and experience gained. If you’re willing, we’d be interested to speak with you further to see how we can improve our services and supports for our teams moving forward. Please call Jeanne Henry from Human Resources (317-810-1812). Thank you for the feedback, and we wish you all the best.

Great
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INNovember 6, 2017
Great place to work got all my hours and nice people easy job And they where helpful I clean dishes floor and bathroom easy job help in the kitchen it would be a great first job
Under New Management and good changes are happening
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INJuly 22, 2017
The Barrington of Carmel is a great place to work not only because you get to work with awesome residents but great co-workers and supervisors. The best part of my day is interacting and working with the residents. It is so rewarding and I enjoy working with them a lot. They have had a lot of management changes in the past year which I think was definitely needed and now while there are a lot of changes they seem to be changes for the good. There is also room to grow.
Pros
Beautiful Community and Great People
A big mistake from its opening
RN (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INJuly 18, 2017
One of the worst senior living communities you can work for. Management is embarrassing, have no idea what they are doing. They promote teamwork but no one to be found when you need them. Try to find a job at a more well established company or community, they are still trying to figure things out.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Executive Director
A fun and interesting work place
Server (Former Employee) –  Carmel, IN 46032May 22, 2017
It was never a dull day at the Barrington. The residents made sure of that. All around this was a very good job, just was not where I needed to be to move forward in my career. The pay was good, and the people I worked with were great, However the people we worked for were even better. I do not mean the management, I mean the residents, that's who we really worked for, they were the main reason to go to the job everyday. The management staff was decent, don't get me wrong.
Pros
The residents, good benefits, decent pay
Cons
management screaming
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMarch 14, 2017
Great place to work they were helpful they understood if something came up nice people to work with great for a job I had a great time working with my peers
Room to Grow
Billing Manager (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INMarch 10, 2017
I have been with the company for almost 3 years. I have been promoted twice and now understand the quote, "If you love what you do, you'll never work another day in your life". I took a step of faith and applied for a job within the company that I did not really have the experience for. The Barrington took a chance on me and my life changed instantly. Had I not been given this chance, I would have never known the passion I have for a different reason in a retirement community. I look forward to seeing our residents, their families and the growth of our team daily. We have had some rocky patches (as all growing companies do) but I have total faith in the leadership/management that has been recently put in place. I see continued growth with each member of the team as we are all bringing our knowledge, experience, ideas and methods to the table to make The Barrington of Carmel the most important place in Carmel for all who inhabit and all who are employed there. I highly encourage you to volunteer, talk with those who work in the community, seek knowledge if you are interested in our community - as it is one of a kind.
Pros
Benefits, free lunch, employee incentives, teamwork
Cons
Lots of names to remember at first, then you learn
Residents and staff=wonderful! MANAGEMENT HORRIBLE
Staff (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMarch 1, 2017
New upper management is horrible. Non caring, business only attitude. Termination is inevitable especially if over 50. Staff is treated as disposable.
Dining management even worse.
Lies, accusations, and very unprofessional.

If looking for short term, unsecure, and abusive employment apply here.

Residents and family members are wonderful caring people. Undeserving of treatment and all recent changes.
Pros
Residents
Schedule
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  CNAJanuary 23, 2017
Making sure the building is staff and work the floor. It's a nice place to work. Just looking for something close to home. Love working days and will be a good assist to your company
Not very fun work environment
Cook (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 19, 2017
Typical day come in cook breakfast serve breakfast then get ready for lunch and so on all day. I learned almost every type of egg u can possibly cook. The management is very poor high turnover. Work culture very fast paced no time to really take a break. The hardest part of the job is just being on your feet all day and directing people to making right orders. Most enjoyable part is the gratification u get from the residents after a long day of hard work
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long breaks and forced to work doubles
Servers a pittance, Directors a fortune.
Server (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 9, 2016
Do not get a job here. Its not worth the effort. The management company are focused on profit. Forget it.Do not get a job here, I repeat do not get a job here.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Pay, benefits, upper management. Lies.
The Best Retirement Community in Carmel and Indianapolis
Independent Senior Living Counselor (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 2, 2016
I feel very fortunate to work in such a wonderful community with great coworkers and wonderful residents. We have many dedicated and hard working employees who truly care about their coworkers and the residents.

Working at The Barrington is a great company for people who have a good work ethic and really care about the residents.

I am happy to be working for this company and would recommend it to anyone who takes a personal pride and satisfaction in their career.
Pros
The nicest community in the Carmel and Indianapolis area
Cons
N/a
Stay away! Stay FAR away!
Just a worker (Former Employee) –  Carmel, IndianaMarch 14, 2016
This place has and will always have a horrible upper management team period! Thinking that someone would 'get it' at a corporate level was just wishful thinking! Resident care is awful and the way they run the 'plaza' is just a joke! I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy!
Pros
PTO time
Cons
Horrible management staff!!!!!!
Good Pay
Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJanuary 26, 2016
Management is poor. Staffing was always short. Worked here for 1 year and was required to work 12 hour shifts. No real organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Barrington of Carmel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8