The Borgen Project Employee Reviews

Fast paced and good for individuals
Borgen Project Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAMarch 19, 2019
If you like working by yourself, this is a good place to help network and set goals for yourself. If not, this may not be the job for you, since I had a hard time with motivation.
Waste of Time
Intern (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 4, 2019
Working for this company entails a lot of cold calling and fund-raising. It is also required of interns to provide 15 mailing addresses of people they personally know.
Pros
Good cause
Cons
Cold Calling
A fabulous opportunity to build a portfolio - Manages quite responsive
Writer - Internship (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 14, 2018
I would be happy to do another internship there - I learned so much writing for The Borgen Project. The management was terrific. I think I would really love to get into the public affairs internship.
Pros
opportunity to write and have things published
Cons
2 articles a week - reduced the potential qualityof the articles
Great Experience
Journalism Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 22, 2018
I learned so much through the interview and if you are a self-starter it is a great internship for you. But if you need a little extra help, everyone supports one another and uses social media to spur ideas! I am hoping to continue to support the organization now.
Pros
flexible and teaches a wide range of skills
Cons
wish it was full-time
This company exploits their unpaid, remote "interns"
PR/Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 13, 2018
My title was "PR/Marketing Intern", but a more appropriate title would have been "Fundraiser". Whatever the title of your internship, you will learn next to nothing related to your actual intended field and will instead be forced to fundraise a minimum of $500 to complete your internship (although it doesn't matter if you do because management doesn't provide references). The materials and assignments that this organization gives to people are an absolute joke. They are completely unhelpful and offer no learning opportunities. The brunt of your work will be fundraising for this organization so that they can go and lobby in DC. Not saying that they don't do successful lobbying, but they rely on an exploited network of remote-based fundraisers that they call "interns" despite the fact that you learn absolutely nothing in this internship. Save yourself some time and DO NOT INTERN HERE.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Everything. Avoid this organization at all costs, especially if they offer you a "remote based" opportunity.
Opportunity for amazing growth
Political Affairs Intern (Former Employee) –  RemoteJuly 2, 2018
The remote internship offered the opportunity for growth, and individual work ethic and the ability to work alone and productively. I learned how to advocate for myself, inform others about the work I I am involved with and fundraise for the cause.
A great opportunity to learn new skills and decision making
Human Resource Internship (Current Employee) –  nationwideJune 3, 2018
I spend most of my hours reading resumes and hiring candidates. My job requires that I spend at least 2 hours a week fundraising for the organization and finding strategies to raise over $500 during my term with the internship.
I love the training that the job offers in helping me know what to look for in a candidate, doing practice interview and determining if a candidate is qualified or not.
Im learning alot about decision making and strategizing by coming up with a plan to fund-raise $500 dollars for the project. Its a difficult process and it takes lots of creative thinking which is an enjoyable part because the organization gives us a list of ideas for fundraising and I get to choose a fundraiser that I would think to be fun and effective.
The organization is very good to communicate with me and hold monthly meetings to check on my progress, as well as training me on every responsibility that I have in the organization. The only con that I can think of is that the organization does not pay its employees, but thats because its an organization that is raising funds to help reduce poverty around the world which I am very happy to do.
Pros
flexible hours, weekends off, management, learning new skills
Cons
no pay
Great
CONTRIBUTING WRITER (Current Employee) –  Grayson, KYMay 24, 2018
My experience with The Borgen Project provided me with a lot of experience, especially in terms of article writing, lobbying, and communications. My managers were very informative and kind, and my overall experience there was fantastic.
Pros
Weekly deadlines rather than daily deadlines
Cons
N/a
Poor Management
PR/Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA (remote internship)May 23, 2018
As a remote intern, I was given absolutely no guidance, resources, or aid in any form. My manager was hard to get a hold of, and unhelpful. I spent most of my time writing state legislators and family members for donations.
Exciting and Educational Experience
Political Affairs Intern (Current Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDMay 22, 2018
Decide your own work schedule. Goals are given to interns, and interns achieve them using their own creative ideas. Management is supportive and provides any tools or advice interns may need.
Unpaid internship for poverty
Intern (Former Employee) –  TelecommuteMay 11, 2018
Focus of the company is to bring attention to poverty issues worldwide. All while offering unpaid internships. Nothing says hating poverty than legal slavery. Mo
Great Experience
Guest Writer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 9, 2018
I had the opportunity to write articles on tech and education. Huge network of other writers and tons of support from leadership. This is an excellent place to work if you want to see your work in print.
Pros
Published 28 articles in 8 weeks
Cons
Limited to two categories to write about
A place provides me more insights
HR Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2018
The Borgen Project is well structured. It not only gives me chance to experience HR staffs, but also some advocacy effects that I haven't experienced before.
Not Valued as an intern
Writer Intern (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 7, 2018
Being a Writer intern is not nearly as useful as one might think, the articles take ages to be published, and they only really care about fundraising.
Great place to get experience in the HR field!
Human resource recruiter Intern (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 16, 2017
The workplace culture at the Borgen project relies a lot on self-motivation and hard work, which aligns with my strengths. The managers are extremely supportive and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to guide the new generation at doing their part at improving government policies.
Pros
Telecommute, great work environment, understanding, highly intelligent managers who will guide you through all your questions and concerns.
Cons
Non-profit organization, so it is understandable that the pay is not enough to self-support oneself.
good charitable company
Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 5, 2017
I worked through telecommunication. It was a good experience. Would work here again if they offered better compensation. management is nice and friendly.
Flexible but serious about what they do
Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 25, 2017
The organization is very flexible so the work/life balance works out great. You can move up very quickly if you're a hard worker. And they do a lot of good things and really are a great organization.
Great internship
Regional Director (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 27, 2016
Great internship for a college student looking to get involved in a non-profit. Introduction to fundraising and politics.
Quick Internship
Political Affairs Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 18, 2016
Really hard to do after I had graduated since I was removed from the resources of my college campus, but certainly an easy and well worth experience to get any young person more involved in local government
A place for determined, passionate do-gooders
Editor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA/telecommuteNovember 7, 2015
Overall my experience as an intern for The Borgen Project was a great one, with hands-on training for editing. Everyone in the organization is hardworking, patient, involved and generous of their time and energy.
Pros
Staff/bosses are quick to respond and helpful/positive, job was online so it could be done anywhere
Cons
Heavy workload and fundraising isn't my favorite