The Borgen Project
Happiness rating is 64 out of 100

The Borgen Project Employee Reviews

The Borgen Project insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Highly educational but lacking in communication/benefits

I did an unpaid internship for 12 weeks as a writer. I feel like they prioritized the marketing and political affairs team before the writing team. I feel like the communication could have been way better. Although it was a remote position, I understand the need to have a distanced workspace. However, I think the communication between me and my supervisor could have been better. I would typically spend my day doing research and putting my article together, then submitting it to the editors for approval. They usually got back to me in a timely manner. I enjoyed learning about new topics and researching different things. The use of Slack slightly helped in connecting with fellow teammates, but I didn't expect much else for an unpaid role.

Pros

Freedom of writing any topic you like

Cons

Poor communication, very little feedback

Productive and Fun

My position with this company was unpaid. I enjoyed my time their. The tasks were given in a clear and manageable form. I learned a lot in that position and it made me more interested in the nonprofit sector.

Pros

Location Flexibility, time freedom, work culture

Cons

N/a

Pretty much a pyramid scheme

DO NOT WORK HERE. I didn't learn anything of use and they take on a ton of *unpaid* interns who are pretty much only there to fundraise. It was disappointing because I really liked their mission however it is pretty clear they only hire interns to get them to give them money.

Pros

Easy work, because not much is real about it

Cons

You will gain nothing

Poorly managed

I worked as a writing intern. The organization's upper management is hardly staffed enough to manage the enormous amount of interns they take on, and interns frequently fall through the cracks. For instance, I never received my closing evaluation, and articles of mine set to be published were lost and eventually uploaded months after my internship had already ended. In addition to poor management, I was really quite astounded at the editing team. As I now work in communications, I rely on these published writing samples for other job applications; however, the editors do such an atrocious job that I am almost embarrassed to have my name attached to these published articles. Quality of articles is sacrificed for absurd dumbing-down of content, scarcely fit for public journalism; most articles come out sounding like a middle school student wrote them. Do yourself a favor, do not take a writing or journalism internship with The Borgen Project if you want quality work publicly displayed.

Pros

remote work

Best for people with connections and social media presence

The job itself isn't bad. It's 10-12 hours per week and you receive a file with your weekly schedules for the duration of the internship before your first day so you can plan ahead and work the internship into your schedule. You have to track your hours by activity and you have the week to get your tracker tasks done. The flexibility definitely helps. The downside to the position is the outreach and fundraising that everyone has to do regardless of which internship you applied for. You make weekly calls to congress and send letters every few weeks. The rest of the internship is a lot easier if you have an active social media presence, a lot of friends, and are naturally outgoing. You will have to get friends to call and email congress with you and there is a fundraising goal that you have to meet by the end of the internship. Beware of annoying your friends and relatives by asking them to contribute to the fundraiser or help with outreach.

Pros

Flexibility, independent work, fully remote position

Cons

Difficult if you don't have a large social network

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Some experience in desired field, but not enough hands on experience

Mainly worked on repetative hr work, marketing, sales, and advocating. It was good to experience a little of everything, but I would have liked more in depth hands on hr experience.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Not much positive feedback from manager

Not bad if you love advocacy

I did enjoy advocating and marketing for The Borgen Project, but my title did not really reflect the job I was doing. I was mainly learning how to make spreadsheets and post job openings on college job boards but that's about it as far as HR duties went. The majority was fundraising as well as political activism and posting on social media.

Pros

Super flexible schedule, work can be done in as little as an hour

Cons

no compensation, doesn't teach you anything about HR

Terrible internship

Exploitation of workers and college students. Terrible internship and work environment. Little respect for values and skills. Fails to utilize colleagues abilities to better the environment

internship leads to nothing..

the org is very strange.. just a week in and it was clear that their main incentive for mass "hiring" unpaid interns was for the fundraising goal they expect everyone to meet. the workload consisted of repeating campaigning work and learning about your local govt alongside updating job postings; that work seemed like an added on schedule to make the fundraising seem less apparent because it was very useless work. they also give no information on where this fundraised money goes, so this organization is just very off.

decent and easygoing internship, with some drawbacks

An internship here definitely carries a lot of pros and cons, but it's mostly good. The internship is easy to balance with a semester of school or other commitments, and articles are easy to write with clear guidelines. The tasks aren't too hard to complete, with the exception of a few that feel tedious and a bit unnecessary. It's good to see your articles get published and they keep you in the loop about that, but they still do take a while to get published. The main complaint from people is having to do fundraising, which is definitely valid and probably the main drawback of the internship and organization. Still, the management is supportive and understanding and it's a good position to work if you're trying to balance it with other commitments.

Pros

Good work-life balance, good management, opportunity to write

Cons

Fundraising, unpaid

Good internship, if a bit repetitive

I interned at The Borgen Project and all-in-all it was an enjoyable experience, if not the most exciting. My manager was helpful in providing feedback for my work and I enjoyed being able to control my own hours. Every week you are expected to come up with an original article topic and research it, which gives you the freedom to choose your own idea but can be difficult if you don't know what to write about. My biggest complaint is fundraising is a HUGE part of this internship, even if your internship is not centered on fundraising. They expect every intern to raise money for them, and there is a minimum amount you are required to raise, which is a little annoying.

Pros

Work at home, pick your own article topics, helpful employees

Cons

Require you to raise money for them, sometimes menial tasks

didn't learn much, they basically just need you to raise money

didn't learn much, they basically just need you to raise money. didn't really understand what we were accomplishing. however our supervisors were very smart, kind and helpful.

Decent Opportunity

Decent job opportunity, moreso traditional marketing rather than digital marketing.I wish I could say that I learned a lot but I didnt. Decent to put on your resume.

Pros

Resume Booster

Cons

Learned nothing

Leadership intern

It was a good initiative, what the Borgen Project is doing. Clint Borgen had a vision and sought after implementing the project. It is a good experience for anyone who wants to work with an NGO, or Public Policy in the future. For those who want a more technical internship, this is not the internship for you then. Most of the work requires self-motivation and you have to prioritize your tasks. They are pretty lenient with the assignments but it's up to you to complete the tasks at the end of the day. So if you are someone that has good work ethic or has a passion for helping people without worrying about any physical compensation, then this may be for you.

You must be a self starter and be motivated

Even if you are not very organized, you quickly learn those skills because otherwise your weekly job will not get done. Procrastinating will get you fired, they will only give you a couple of extensions. The work is not hard, but you can get burn out if you are also full -time in school. If you don't understand a project, don't delay asking for help. The support/ turnaround is 24-48 during the week.

Pros

Support and training

Cons

Burn out with weekly article writing and editing

Non profit leadership intern

I learned so much from this internship! Never working in the nonprofit field or anything related to politics I was worried I’d have no idea what to do. But the staff walk you through everything and they educate you well. I learned about how to engage my political leaders, lobbying, branding, fundraising, advocacy et al. I loved being able to do this remotely because with school and work I was able to set my own schedule of when to complete the tasks. Highly recommend this organization for volunteer and internship opportunities.

Pros

Flexibility, diverse learning, organized and structured tasks

Cons

Could have used a bit more guidance on the branding campaign

February 9, 2021
Thank you for your review - we are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us! Wishing you the very best going forward!

I just couldn’t do it

I like that they help people in poverty but I am not comfortable doing a fundraiser in a pandemic. I was offered an “HR” internship but come to realize they were money focused. I denied the internship and just settled with doing an alternative assignment for college credit instead as this internship was my last resort in earning college credit as many other places were shut down.

February 9, 2021
Thank you for your review - it is disheartening to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. We have taken your comments on board. Thank you and wishing you the best of luck going forward!

Awesome opportunity to learn more about our political system and how we can make an impact

Great learning opportunity. If you want to experience grass-roots activism with a big impact, I would definitely apply for an internship/job here. Management has great communication and at least with my manager, they want you to succeed in the internship and will help you out as best as they can.

Pros

Great networking of like-minded people across the country

January 28, 2021
Thank you for your review - we value each and every team member within the organization and are very pleased you enjoyed your time with us. Wishing you the best of luck going forward!

January 28, 2021
Thank you for your review - we are pleased you enjoyed your time with us! Thank you for your dedication throughout your program. Wishing you the very best going forward!

February 1, 2021

Too much for too little pay

This place had a good cause but they expect way too much out of people. Seriously you'd think you'd get a little compensation but nothing!!! If you have stress or anxiety it's not for you.

Pros

Good cause

Cons

No pay

January 28, 2021
Thank you for your review and we have taken note of your experience. We try to keep all of our programs exciting, with a great learning experience gained after each week. Wishing you the best of luck going forward!

great resume builder

Great experience to add to your resume, gives you the flexibility to come up with your own ideas! You get out what you put in and you can really get a lot out!

January 28, 2021
Thank you for your review - we are very pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us! Wishing you the very best of luck going forward!

Good internship but did not see ideas flourish

Great company to intern with, but projects completed never moved further. The work finished did not feel as though it would be used. With it being a remote position, it was difficult to collaborate.

Cons

Unpaid

January 28, 2021
Thank you for your review! We value all of our team members dedication and contribution throughout their program. Wishing you the best of luck going forward!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Borgen Project. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
5.0Personal Development
5.0Career Opportunities
5.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight