The Boys' Club of New York Employee Reviews

A great place to work with wonderful, supportive colleagues.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2018
A typical day at work is a pleasant experience. I have learned to be even more flexible and appreciative of this job. Management from the top level to all levels is supportive and hands on in the day to day of operations. The workplace culture is welcoming, challenging in a positive way and gives you room for creativity. The hardest part of my day is that there aren't enough hours for me to take on more members to tutor there.The most enjoyable part of my day is working with the members and the smiles on their faces as well as my colleagues. I also love when we have special events to showcase the members.
Pros
Working with children and colleagues
Cons
I wish there were more locations
It's ok job to work there.
Teen Mentor- Summer SuperHeroes Program (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2018
Better pay there for the hours worked and paid sick days off. Staff members are really cool to be around no real problem with them or the boss. The kids are nice and well behaved sometimes.
no room for advancement
Director of Financial Administration (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2017
no room for advancement.
management does see value in quality staff
years of service mean nothing here
no one listens to anyone
it's a free for all attitude
benefits
Cons
advancements
My experience
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2017
I went in not knowing a thing about fundraising, gift tracking, Raiser's Edge. Learned so much and left with more than I bargained for. As if I received a Master's Degree in Fundraising.
Pros
Great Medical Benefits, etc.
Cons
Freeze in pay increase
Fun workplace with kids
Teen Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2017
I enjoyed being with younger kids, they really brought meaning to my summer. The work day was short, the other mentors are fun to engage and have lunch with. It's a great vibe and you grow a bond with some really cool younger kids.
Lovedd
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 7, 2017
i loved everything about this place. the trips ,the kids. the staff, the overall environment of this place was just amazing. they treat you like family
Positive atmosphere, driven and committed people.
Dir. of Foundation & Corp. Giving (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2016
A typical day included writing grants, researching new donors and reaching out to them, writing grant reports, providing information to leadership and trustees. At the time, I had incredible leadership and management, people of vision and compassion and drive. Loved my co-workers. Hardest part of the job was wanting to do more with the funds we had and getting new people to say yes and give. Most enjoyable part was when they did! And seeing those kids running around the buildings. Amazing.
Pros
Great atmosphere, great people.
Fast Paced and very entertaining
Explorer Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2016
Great program for working parents of boys ranging from 6-20 years of age. Culturally diverse and full of vibrant staff members.
Unhealthy Work Environment
Administration (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2015
It is a shame that an organization that serves children and teens could be lead so irresponsibly. The CEO / ED is a fearful, unqualified gossip who leaves the staff leaderless. This directly impacts programming, fundraising, board management and hiring. Forward momentum is absent and will remain so until this CEO is removed. Administrative staff are resigning monthly due to a chaotic work environment and sloppy leadership. Staff unhappiness and anger is palpable and those who resign move on to title promotions. higher salaries and competitive benefits.

This organization appears superb on paper but changes dramatically once you become an employee. Healthcare and retirement benefits are not competitive and the reason this does not change is because the CEO and HR don't advocate for their employees. This is a wealthy organization pinching pennies and it is both mean-spirited and anti-employee. Meanwhile the CEO is paid far more than the industry standard and he doesn't deliver.

Beware of the interview process, it is not honest. Ask for details on salary, bonuses, benefits, raises and the review process. Then ask for all of this in writing before you accept a position.

DO NOT sign the Employee Policies Manual. You are under no legal obligation to do so. This manual benefits BCNY.....not you!
Pros
Provides a safe place for boys to go after school.
Cons
Terrible benefits, poor communication between leadership
Exciting and enjoyable pool to work at
Swim Instructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Flushing, NYApril 27, 2015
While working at Dolphin Swimming Corp., it has truly molded me into the hardworking individual today. As a freshman in high school, working for the first time in a professional environment, I have learned great leadership skills, as well as money and time management. Because I am working with such young children, teaching them can be quite a challenge sometimes which requires me to think outside the box to come up with methods that will best help them understand the proper techniques and forms of swimming. I also learned how to effectively communicate not only with the students, but also other instructors and supervisors. I think the most enjoyable part of working at Dolphin Swimming Corp. is the graduation ceremony at the end of each semester. Seeing and participating in this event, truly makes me proud of all the students proceeding into the next level to learn more.
Bcny
Mentor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 27, 2014
Very good organization. Extremely useful and helpful for the neighboring community. The job is really awesome if you love to work with young kids and want to that for the rest of your life.
Fun Workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2014
Hands on really worked with kids all day. Learned new ways to keep kids interested.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
No initial instruction
Boys Club
Art Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 15, 2014
Having the kids safe, and making sure they enjoy every moment they are with me.
Good place to start a career
Program Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2013
Organization with great intentions but slow growth towards goals
Pros
Environment where everyone is learning
Cons
High turnover
Fun Productive workspace
Intermediate Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 1, 2013
• Develop comprehensive programs that socially engage young boys ages 12 to 17.
• Create and implement programs concerning club interest, leadership, and recreation.
• Supervise staff of 6 (monitors, and assistants)
• Overall manager of evening programs and events
Great place to work, open to new ideas
Associate Teacher Literacy Program (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2013
My typical work day involves working with the kids to improve their reading, writing and overall literacy.
Afterschool Program
Explorer Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2013
A typical day at work would to help children from ages 6-10 enjoy their day after school. I learned better people and communication skills working with children. My co-workers were great listeners and good people. Most enjoyable part of the job was making a kids day by being a role model to them.
Productive and outstanding.
Child Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2012
Working with the boys club was a fun experience. Defentily reccomend to anyone who loves working with kids.
Pros
excellent staff, good kids, fun activities and dedication to the deed of maturing young boys into men
Cons
none.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Boys' Club of New York. Our community is ready to answer.

The Boys' Club of New York Reviews by Location