The Brooklyn Hospital Center Employee Reviews

Average rate
Surgical Coordinator-Department of Surgery (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2019
it's a very good hospital unfortunately there are no opportunities to grow. The Hospital offers good benefits and convenient work schedule. Many activities and discount for employees.
Union job
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 17, 2019
I enjoyed working with some people but overall the hospital is poorly run, administration are educated fools who dont care for the patients, I refuse to work inpatient because of what Ive witnessed on a geriatric floor. I admired alot of doctors but the nursing care there was shameful, your most likely get better care in a third world country.
Pros
good benefits and salary
Cons
ignorant incompetent staff
Short review of The Brooklyn Hospital Center
Director, OD & TM (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 11, 2019
The Brooklyn Hospital Center gets a B plus rating. A good percentage of leadership was "on board" with ensuring the success of the hospital and focused keenly on the patient experience, employee satisfaction and quality outcomes.
Pros
Willingness from upper management to strive for the best outcomes
Cons
"safety net" hospital, financial constraints
Management sucks
Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 18, 2019
HR needs to work better with the Union they all need to come together and realize that this is one Hospital.
And respect that it is a union Hospital Arya.
Pros
a place that you can grow
Cons
Bad management
Busy Labor and Delivery unit in Brooklyn which had large residency program as well; Off-site Out patient center also busy.
woman and adolescents in labor and delivery (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 26, 2018
Out patient clinics in Williamsburg and Fort Greene were almost always nonstop. Many patients spoke Spanish exclusively, So I learned functional "Ob Spanish." Supportive Midwifery Director, but some personnel challenges in clinics remained, especially in Fort Greene center. Flow of patients not conducive to positive experience at that center.
In-patient at Brooklyn Hospital was a mixed bag; lots of autonomy and if needed, MD support. But unit was run with very high intervention for laboring mothers to benefit the residents at the expense of the mothers. Nursing staff was cold and not at all collaborative. Despite inherent frustrations, had many positive delivery experiences and was able to provide attentive, top-notch Midwifery care, and train a few first-year residents as well.
Environment that created a lot of career development.
Quality Assurance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 23, 2018
Great for career development. Provides an environment to hone independent skills and also the ability to branch out to work as a group to accomplish goals.
what I learned
Radiologic Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 4, 2018
• Participated in preparing patients for radiographic examinations
• Participated in positioning equipment at correct angle and height
• Assisted with patient paperwork prior to procedure and with x-ray examinations
Brooklyn Hospital
Patient Accounts Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 4, 2018
This job was my first experience as a Supervisor. I gained lots of experience from the management, staff and the provider relation team. The travel distance was short.
Pros
Salary was too low
Cons
Travel was commutable
I love the people and evironment that i am working with but need to challenge different types of work
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  10th Floor Main BldgAugust 16, 2018
its a very busy out-patient practice and I have worked here for 20 years and need a change. I feel privilege to have been part of the development and growth of this program over the years.
Not a good place to work within the Pathology grossing lab
Pathologist's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 17, 2018
Lab was out dated. Old system to work with. Hard to get proper tools too ,always was on a hold for non payment. I needed the accessioner to come in earlier then myself in order that I can start grossing when I come in. I would get there at 7:30 am and she would not come in until after 9.00 am. The floors were always dirty.
Pros
not good
My favorite job ☺️☺️!
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 12, 2018
I enjoy working with the Brooklyn Hospital at La Providencia -location. My patience’s we very nice and I enjoy every minute there , even with the hard patients . I just love helping people and I made it my second home. I love working with my coworkers even the crazy ones that tried to make the day bad 😅. I just didn’t like management because they had there favorites ppl and made it very hard for me to stay working at this location. They wanted to move me away to another location when I already had everything there 😓. But thanks to La Providencia I learned to deal with more different cultures and front desk duties.
Good Place to Work
Family Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 21, 2018
Very supportive staff an family oriented place to work. Management is poor. Management does not have a good grasp of staffing needs and what they require to be successful.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Employees with poor work ethix
Productive place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 17, 2018
A placed where you can learn new things daily, productive place, can be stressful at time but for the most very rewarding, staff should be given more opportunity to be part of decision making.
Pros
opportunity for growth
Cons
management needs to involed staff more in decision making
Good place to work.
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 16, 2018
Productive and fun work place. Staff are very are hard working and very professional. Working at the Brooklyn Hospital Center as a Patient Care Technician, improve my skills. I would love to become a RN in the near future.
Pros
Hospital has great benifits. Assis with college preperation.
Cons
Short staff, not enough help.
dedicated to a great customer experience
OMFS Residency Coordinator/Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2018
The two departments I worked in were dedicated to having a great customer experience. I felt comfortable doing my job with little training. Hopefully that will change with the transition to EPIC. Both departments lacked great leaders but had hardworking staff -members/co-workers.
Pros
busy clinic days and moderate work on group days
Cons
not having all access to all the technology that would make our work easier and more productive
secure job format with pension
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 24, 2018
Typically A PTA at The Brooklyn Hospital is responsible for Outpatient services. When needed will cover Orthopedic, Acute care and Inpatient bedside physical therapy services, reporting to the Physical Therapist responsible for the Initial Evaluation any concerns.
It can be a pleasant place, but...
Nutritionist/Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 21, 2018
Working for this hospital on a typical day can be stressful because the supervisor does not allow one to breathe. No matter what, your best is simply not good enough. The hardest part of the job is trying to cope with strange behaviors of the supervisor. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the day is most busy because it allows one to focus on what they are doing appropriately without the supervisor constantly over one's shoulder.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Really busy place and good place to work
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 7, 2018
The Brooklyn hospital center is a really busy place, I was doing my intership and I really learn a lot. It is a wonderful place to work because you have to be on top of the residents dentist and help the patients. This place is for people that really want to work.
Pros
30m break, 1 hour lunch
Cons
Not overtime
Excellent Place to work
Dietary Helper (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 6, 2018
You do your job and stay out the way managers are all great in dietary department. I would say I love this job because you can learn all parts of the kitchen from the line to being a cook. I don't enjoy the part when the admitted patience are very sick and end up dying.
Pros
free breakfat, lunch and dinner
Cons
healthcare industry you see people die
Even with its shortcomings, Perhaps the best hospital in Brooklyn
Staff RN, ED and Intensive care units (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 28, 2018
Long history of caring for the local community, which I greatly appreciate. But that makes for a challenging environment. After working there for 12 years, then working in Manhattan for two, I can honestly say I never should have left. While the Board of Directors, the Admitting Attendings, and Nurse managment have been trying to drive this hospital to the ground for decades, there is a spirit and family feeling among the staff. My experience in the ED and ICU's have impressed on me that these two departments really live and breathe the ethos of Evidenced Based Medicine, and they've been doing it before anybody else. So, in short, if you are person who truly cares about patient care and safety, who will continue to learn and build your expertise, if you pay attention to what is being done, you will learn good medical and nursing practice at this hospital; despite the inadequate equipment, staffing, and management support.
Pros
NYSNA benefits, flex time, evidenced based medicine
Cons
understaffed, punitive management, misguided Board of Directors