The Buckeye Ranch Employee Reviews

Stressful, depending on what area you work in.
HR Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHJanuary 2, 2019
In HR, the atmosphere is friendly, a place where work is done accurately, but with fun and commitment by everyone. The work is not difficult, per se, but keeps one busy and interested. I would have stayed had I been offered the opportunity I was led to believe I would obtain.
Pros
Always free cafeteria-style meals!
Cons
Salary is below typical for what's expected.
Fun place to work
Treatment Aide (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHDecember 29, 2018
The Buckeye Ranch was a temporary starter job. Its good experience for anyone entering this field because you are working with a difficult population.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Working with children is hard
Doesn't Appreciate Long-Time Employees or Military Reservists
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHDecember 12, 2018
I worked for The Buckeye Ranch for 15 years. Outside of my time working at The Buckeye Ranch, I served in the U.S. Army Reserve and the Ohio Air National Guard. During my time as a Buckeye Ranch employee, I was called to active duty and deployed several times to Iraq and Afghanistan. Back then, I would say The Buckeye Ranch was supportive of the military, but I can't say the same about it now. Soon after returning from a deployment to Afghanistan, I left The Buckeye Ranch to advance my career. I left after providing notice and working out that notice. When I later wanted to return to The Buckeye Ranch, I was informed I was ineligible for rehire. That was hard to imagine how that could be considering I left on what I thought were good terms, received only positive reviews, and never received any corrective action. Interestingly, my old supervisor mentioned my constantly leaving and coming back to The Buckeye Ranch....as if it was a problem!?!? All those times I left and came back to The Buckeye Ranch were for MILITARY SERVICE and are protected under USERRA. On the good side of things, that supervisor has since retired and the CEO who allowed that particular supervisor to prevent me from returning is leaving The Buckeye Ranch. So, hopefully, there will be better leadership who appreciate long-time employees and the military.
Pros
Paid Time Off
Cons
Extremely high turnover; too many people with MSW's in leadership positions, which is great for social work, but not leading an organization such as TBR
VERY stressful and horrible support
SENIOR YOUTH LEADER (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHDecember 2, 2018
I worked at the ranch for two years. At the beginning things were good. However, with the recent lawsuit against the ranch things became intolerable. Often had to deal with restraints alone because no one would respond to assistance calls. No support from upper management. They simply do not seem to care about the safety of their workers.
Decent place to work
Youth Leader Counselor (Current Employee) –  Grove City, OHOctober 28, 2018
There is a lot of overtime available. There can be a lot of work drama. easy work. Can be stressful when responding to assistant calls for crisis interventions and restraints. Too much politics.
Pros
fulfilling working with kids
Cons
work drama
I enjoyed
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 22, 2018
I enjoyed this job, but left due to wanting experience working with adults. The only main complaint that I have is the driving, but you are aware of that at th time of the interview.
fun fun fun
Night Youth Leader (Current Employee) –  Grove City, OHSeptember 24, 2018
Lively environment, fun at times and stressful at times. friendly staff, easy and laid back co workers. kids were a handful but most were delightful on most days.
Pros
night shift
Cons
stressful
Terrific place to work
Equine Specialist/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Equestrian Center, Grove City, OhioSeptember 8, 2018
The Buckeye Ranch was a wonderful place to work. They provided great benefits, vacation hours, and a good salary. The work with the residents of the Ranch was a rewarding as well as challenging at times. The opportunity for learning new ideas and therapies was an ongoing process, but always made fun and easy. Yearly training was a plus of the job as well. I encourage anyone interested in providing a safe and encouraging environment for a resident to work at the Ranch.
Pros
Vacation time, and benefits
Fun if you like kids
Therapeutic Program Worker (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHAugust 27, 2018
A fun rewarding job if you like working with kids. It dosent pay enough but it is worth the loss of money to share some of the life experiences of the kids. The staff are nice, and got lots of fun things that the kids and staff get to do. Some of those are a small animal barn, a horse barn, and lots of wooded property.
Pros
fun, setting, funding from community
Cons
restraints, mandated shifts due to call offs
Fun place
Youth Leader (Current Employee) –  Grove City, OH 43123August 5, 2018
The ranch is a good place to work fresh out of college. The experience you will get working in social field will help out a lot depending on which route you may want to go. I would recommend it to any one.
Great Mission but poor direction
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grove City, OHJune 29, 2018
Great Mission but poor leadership. Very little professional development and consistency with programs across the board. Focus is on billing and not on client and staff satisfaction.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Poor management
Extremely stressful
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 11, 2018
There is no work life balance with this position as you are constantly working or thinking about work. Upper management is very unsupportive and it is more of a relationship game than a performance game.
Relaxed workplace with limited social interaction between coworkers.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 14, 2018
The hardest part of the job was the limited amount of interaction with coworkers. I could sometimes go weeks without seeing any coworkers other than my supervisor.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Having to work around clients time and limited interaction with coworkers
Unprofessional
Supervised Visitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 14, 2018
Management could use some training in several areas ! Don’t get on a managers or leads bad side! Very unprofessional attitude( common ground ) rosemont location. Power struggle amongst the people in charge.
Pros
Pay is good for a part time job
Cons
Lack of diversity, professionalism, training.
Poor management/leadership
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHJanuary 5, 2018
I worked at the Ranch for many months as a youth leader. Was often left alone with a group of kids, even though this is not the policy. Complained about management to HR and expressed my concerns and was turned away. I would not have left if I hadn’t been put in a dangerous situation by my direct supervisor.
In-home Counseling
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 24, 2017
The Ranch requires their clinicians to carry large caseloads compared with other agencies in the Columbus area. Supervision is patchy, depending on whom you have as a supervisor. The work is very stressful and, on the whole, I believe the clinicians are underpaid for the work they do.
Pros
Successes with clients
Cons
Emotionally taxing job for not much money
stressful
Youth leader (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHDecember 21, 2017
Working at the Buckeye Ranch can be stressful at times dealing with the residents. It has been several years since I have worked there but I have heard good things.
Could be better.
Buckeye Ranch Employee (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 20, 2017
The Buckeye Ranch is a nice place to work. I've learned about many level of care for mental health services, child welfare, foster care and residential.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Advancement
student nurse
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHAugust 10, 2017
Working with children with behavior disabilities.
Observed behavior modification and rehabilitation, in children ten to eighteen years of age at the Buckeye Ranch.
Youth Leader
Trainer/Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHJuly 29, 2017
Working at the Buckeye Ranch was a wonderful experience. They foster the growth of the youth they serve. The environment and people at very caring. The concern of the agency is the reinstatement of positive family dynamics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Buckeye Ranch. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight