The Capital Grille Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
fast paced environment
Server and Cocktail Waitress (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2018
some managment is great, others are not,
overall the money is pretty good.
very fast paced, especially in season.
Hardest part is restaurant week and generous pour at the same time.
Pros
money
Cons
General Manager
Terrible experience/ worst ever
Front server (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 27, 2018
They hire/trick you into thinking you will work 5 shifts a week but when you show up for your one forced lunch shift it’s 90% of a waste of time, gas and money. No runners during lunch shift and you run all your appetizers and 3 table small stations. Being the newbie your forced to setup the line and all the covers go to those who have seniority while you do all the labor work only to get cut getting no tables or about 25% of the covers of those who have been there longer. Only time for a chance to make any money is convention season cause they use you for over flow tables usually giving you about 10 covers a night while those people with seniority get 3-4times your covers. No 6+ person large party gratuity either. Managers are lazy and if anything happens no matter what happens it’s your fault. I wouldn’t recommend anyone to work here. Also all the benefits they brag about in orientation they make sure that not one FOH employee gets enough hours for insurance. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
N/a
Cons
The whole place is a disgrace to anyone who is a professional
Corporate steakhouse
Server (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 23, 2018
Ok place to work. Very corporate and very rigid work environment. I can't speak for all locations, only the one I worked at. However great money to be made if you can deal with the environment.
Best job I ever had
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLApril 20, 2018
Out of the 3 jobs I have had so far, this one was amazing. I wish I was able to continue to work there but was not able to. The people you work with are amazing and professional and kind. You truly feel at home.
Fine dining steak house, perfection and attention to detail in every way
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 8, 2018
Opened bar checked inventory, cash drawer, cut fresh fruit , wiped bar down and polished all glassware.
I learned the multiple ways of taking care of clientele, favorite drinks, wine knowledge, special ways to wow our guests experience at our restaurant.
Management was extremely professional went above and beyond to help, and offered all the advice to help each employee grow from there areas of weakness and complemented and rewarded outstanding service and attention to detail to make each one of our guests have an incredible dining experience.
Pros
discounts on all meals, and free family dinner everyday
Cons
very demanding a lot of tedious side work, but worth it, If you want to be athe best you strive to do so and go above and beyond to make it so
Fast paced fun job
Assistant Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2018
The people were great awsome managemnt team every one was easy going and always willimg to teach and help out and the menu always offerd a new challange always a fun new task to take on
Good place, full of drama
Manager (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaApril 4, 2018
Underlying drama continues to surround the restaurant. It makes some days unbearable. Other days can be fun, but you have to watch your back. There are people out to get you at everyturn.
Nice place to work and dine
Server Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 30, 2018
The Capital Grille is a great place to work, it gave me the opportunity to meet nice coworkers had contact with guests from many places. Sometimes we get very busy and it is hard for a moment but it is also rewarding when we accomplished a goal.
Awful Company
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 22, 2018
At times you think you have a decent paying job, with a decent company. Then you watch things happen that are just plain wrong. I posted this review awhile ago but apparently you can't be too precise, while I didn't name anyone, I named positions that are only held by 1 or 2 people, so I get why it wasn't posted. My advice is make as much and save as much money as you can and get out in 2-4 years or you'll become part of everything that is hateful here. Of course its not all bad, but don't have expectations of moving up, too much politics and unearned favoritism. Good Luck
Pros
decent money
Cons
Upper MGMT, Nepotism, Politics
Loved it!
server (Current Employee) –  PittsburghMarch 12, 2018
You can make good money in a fun friendly atmosphere. Management is nice and accommodating. Guests and co-workers are friendly. Over all great place to work!
Challenging and rewarding enviroment
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAFebruary 23, 2018
Working at The Capital Grille has been challenging and rewarding.

A day at work includes arriving in full uniform to clock in, check for opening sidework and completing before team meeting begins promptly at 5pm.

Detailing glassware and tables is to happen before guests arrive to ensure the proper table settings are in order. Attention to detail is to be spot on as the managers do a "guest ready" check.

Before completely our shift we are to report to co workers to check our glassware and tables after we clean them and detail them from service. We also have to complete restaurant cleaning every night. We get assigned certain sections daily.

I learned that attention to detail is the most important along side time management. I know my history is food related but much of what I do is keeping guests on time with lunch and dinner because of their schedule.

Our workplace culture is a fun and team oriented place. We enjoy doing our job to the best of our abilities and also making the job fun.

The most difficult part of my job is reading the guests. We are trained to read the guest, but every guest is different. Every guest comes in with a different expectation and we are expected to deliver each experience. Our job is to tailor each experience to fit the needs of the people who choose to dine with us.

My most enjoyable part of the job would be having a challenging or disgruntled guest and brain storming with a co worker or manager to try and fix the problem.

Our management team functions practicing 8 core values that we as servers commit to memory. These
  more... 8 core values cover how they want us to function from the moment they hire us. Setting clear expectation and acting guest first are the main priorities.  less
Pros
semi-flexible schedule
Cons
no benefits, nights/weekends/holiday hours
fun and multi-tasking job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 22, 2018
As a host I would need to be one of the first people to come in so I could get set up for lunch. This included confirming calls for the next day, making sure that I went through all the reservations to see if anyone had any special requests and alert the chef or manager so that we could make their dinning experience as hospitable as possible. I also had the responsibility of checking, restocking and ordering supplies like receipt paper, confetti, and roses. Through out the day I would clean menus and check bathrooms as well. For dinner i would be the board runner. which is the person that checks in people, moves tables around and tells the rest of the host where to sit people.
Fast-paced environment, learn a lot, but the people are kind of sketchy.
ASSISTANT SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 31, 2018
Staff comes from all walks of life. Career servers, college kids, people trying to figure out what they're doing with their life. Management is on different pages, but if you do your best to stay on all the different pages required, it's a great company.
Pros
Discounts, insurance, seniority perks, 401k
Cons
Discombobulated Mangement, Scummy staff
Enjoyable fast paced environment for skilled service mans hospitality oriented people
Certified Trainer/Server, service proffesional (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 30, 2018
I had an excellent time working at the capital grille! I made many friends and connections that will hopefully last a long time. I learned many skills that can be related to other fields and gained unique knowledge in the area of customer service and overall hospitality.
Fast paced and constant stimulation
Server (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJanuary 24, 2018
I really enjoyed working at Capital Grille, they treat their people fairly and want the best for you. Management was great as far as open door policy, they listened you if you had any issues and worked with you to resolve them. If you are great at multi-tasking, then this is the job for you.
Dog eat Dog, you get out what you put in!
Key holder and Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 23, 2018
Provide over the top customer service! Count your money, continue education and go home!
Shift meeting before and after shift. Learn new wines and special items prepared by chefs.
Pros
Free lunch, great pay
Cons
High demand for excellence and no margin for error
Great
Service (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 23, 2018
Great hospitality job. Great culture with and emphasis on teamwork and values. Friendly coworkers and caring leaders. Consistent business and pay with flexible scheduling.
Good
SERVER ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 21, 2018
Overall good work environment and very professional and always quick paced during dinner service. Quick reset times and setting up private dining events as well.
Valets are busy
Valet/Driver (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 19, 2018
Worked as a Valet thought the company Downtown Auto Parking. Perfect job for a College student, school during the day parking cars at night. Fast paced, working with up too 5 other valets and parking 200+ cars as a group on some nights.The ability to drive a manual transmission is a must. Valets are manly paid via tips which are quite lucrative especially during weekends and holidays. Downsides include being on your feet 6 hours plus, running on concert and running in any and all inclement weather.
Stable and relaxed environment with great dry aged steaks
Bartender/Cocktail waitress (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJanuary 8, 2018
Ultimately I love this job and don't intend to leave anytime soon. I would recommend this to anyone with full of poise, and a nice personality to inquire about working here. So many things to learn!
Pros
Free Employee Meals provided daily before each shift