The Capital Grille Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fun and great exp.
Cook prep (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 24, 2018
Great and enough room to grow just gotta be willing to compete great employees great food awesome customers great clean environment and a understanding crew
Definitely the most fascinating company I have worked for.
Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 10, 2018
The Capital Grille was the true stepping stone to my career in the service/restaurant industry. I learned everything from steps of service, cuts of beef, wine and grape varietals, and most importantly, how to engage with our guests.
I was fortunate enough to open this restaurant in 2004. It was during these four weeks of training and tasting where I learned these valuable tools. Capital Grille was my family for the next ten years.
Pros
networking with my fellow employees and guests, constant wine and food training, and great leadership.
Cons
I felt there was limited room for advancement.
Best Restaurant Corporation
Wine Director/Dining Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 4, 2018
Best pay, best benefits for managers across the board in the industry. Nothing but great advantages working for Darden as a manager. Incredible retirement plan and stock options for all full time employees.
Benefits
Cons
Nights, weekends and holidays
Great place
Pastry Chef/Morning Lead/Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TX 75024June 24, 2018
Capital grille has very experienced management, and they never cut corners. High volume restaurant, with competitive pay. I learned a lot of things from this company.
recommend employment here
PASTRY CHEF (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 21, 2018
clean and organized place to work. decent equipment.
fun teamwork crew.
Management more concerned about bonuses than customer; would rather cut employee hours than make sure of having full crew to serve customers quickly.
Always glad to come to work.
Pros
employee meal made by cooks
Cons
micromanagement
Server
Server (Former Employee) –  Rosemont, ILJune 4, 2018
Classical American upscale steakhouse with a clubby, refined setting. Learned about all of the different steak cuts as well as old world and new world wines. Service was very fast pace and upscale with emphasis on food and wine pairings
fast paced environment
Server and Cocktail Waitress (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2018
some managment is great, others are not,
overall the money is pretty good.
very fast paced, especially in season.
Hardest part is restaurant week and generous pour at the same time.
Pros
money
Cons
General Manager
excelente corporacion
Server/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLMay 8, 2018
muy buena corporacion, los salarios no son los mejores pero tienen muchisimos beneficios. Los jefes son educados y pacientes.
Terrible experience/ worst ever
Front server (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 27, 2018
They hire/trick you into thinking you will work 5 shifts a week but when you show up for your one forced lunch shift it’s 90% of a waste of time, gas and money. No runners during lunch shift and you run all your appetizers and 3 table small stations. Being the newbie your forced to setup the line and all the covers go to those who have seniority while you do all the labor work only to get cut getting no tables or about 25% of the covers of those who have been there longer. Only time for a chance to make any money is convention season cause they use you for over flow tables usually giving you about 10 covers a night while those people with seniority get 3-4times your covers. No 6+ person large party gratuity either. Managers are lazy and if anything happens no matter what happens it’s your fault. I wouldn’t recommend anyone to work here. Also all the benefits they brag about in orientation they make sure that not one FOH employee gets enough hours for insurance. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
N/a
Cons
The whole place is a disgrace to anyone who is a professional
Corporate steakhouse
Server (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 23, 2018
Ok place to work. Very corporate and very rigid work environment. I can't speak for all locations, only the one I worked at. However great money to be made if you can deal with the environment.
Best job I ever had
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLApril 20, 2018
Out of the 3 jobs I have had so far, this one was amazing. I wish I was able to continue to work there but was not able to. The people you work with are amazing and professional and kind. You truly feel at home.
good to work for a short time
Board Runner (Former Employee) –  brickell ave , flApril 13, 2018
Good to work for a short time. This business is not a long term investment. It is also good for teenagers. The managers micro-manage employees and other managers base the hours on giving the employees on favoritism.
Fine dining steak house, perfection and attention to detail in every way
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 8, 2018
Opened bar checked inventory, cash drawer, cut fresh fruit , wiped bar down and polished all glassware.
I learned the multiple ways of taking care of clientele, favorite drinks, wine knowledge, special ways to wow our guests experience at our restaurant.
Management was extremely professional went above and beyond to help, and offered all the advice to help each employee grow from there areas of weakness and complemented and rewarded outstanding service and attention to detail to make each one of our guests have an incredible dining experience.
Pros
discounts on all meals, and free family dinner everyday
Cons
very demanding a lot of tedious side work, but worth it, If you want to be athe best you strive to do so and go above and beyond to make it so
Fast paced fun job
Assistant Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2018
The people were great awsome managemnt team every one was easy going and always willimg to teach and help out and the menu always offerd a new challange always a fun new task to take on
Good place, full of drama
Manager (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaApril 4, 2018
Underlying drama continues to surround the restaurant. It makes some days unbearable. Other days can be fun, but you have to watch your back. There are people out to get you at everyturn.
Nice place to work and dine
Server Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 30, 2018
The Capital Grille is a great place to work, it gave me the opportunity to meet nice coworkers had contact with guests from many places. Sometimes we get very busy and it is hard for a moment but it is also rewarding when we accomplished a goal.
Awful Company
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 22, 2018
At times you think you have a decent paying job, with a decent company. Then you watch things happen that are just plain wrong. I posted this review awhile ago but apparently you can't be too precise, while I didn't name anyone, I named positions that are only held by 1 or 2 people, so I get why it wasn't posted. My advice is make as much and save as much money as you can and get out in 2-4 years or you'll become part of everything that is hateful here. Of course its not all bad, but don't have expectations of moving up, too much politics and unearned favoritism. Good Luck
Pros
decent money
Cons
Upper MGMT, Nepotism, Politics
Fun place to work cool people
Cook (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 19, 2018
Bad management but for the most part it was a good job decent pay and good food mainly when I cooked it though​. Not a place for someone with a family to work at to much to deal with between that and a family
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short breaks
Loved it!
server (Current Employee) –  PittsburghMarch 12, 2018
You can make good money in a fun friendly atmosphere. Management is nice and accommodating. Guests and co-workers are friendly. Over all great place to work!
Challenging and rewarding enviroment
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAFebruary 23, 2018
Working at The Capital Grille has been challenging and rewarding.

A day at work includes arriving in full uniform to clock in, check for opening sidework and completing before team meeting begins promptly at 5pm.

Detailing glassware and tables is to happen before guests arrive to ensure the proper table settings are in order. Attention to detail is to be spot on as the managers do a "guest ready" check.

Before completely our shift we are to report to co workers to check our glassware and tables after we clean them and detail them from service. We also have to complete restaurant cleaning every night. We get assigned certain sections daily.

I learned that attention to detail is the most important along side time management. I know my history is food related but much of what I do is keeping guests on time with lunch and dinner because of their schedule.

Our workplace culture is a fun and team oriented place. We enjoy doing our job to the best of our abilities and also making the job fun.

The most difficult part of my job is reading the guests. We are trained to read the guest, but every guest is different. Every guest comes in with a different expectation and we are expected to deliver each experience. Our job is to tailor each experience to fit the needs of the people who choose to dine with us.

My most enjoyable part of the job would be having a challenging or disgruntled guest and brain storming with a co worker or manager to try and fix the problem.

Our management team functions practicing 8 core values that we as servers commit to memory. These
  more... 8 core values cover how they want us to function from the moment they hire us. Setting clear expectation and acting guest first are the main priorities.  less
Pros
semi-flexible schedule
Cons
no benefits, nights/weekends/holiday hours