The Carle Foundation Hospital Employee Reviews

An average hospital.
Health Information Management Technician (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILFebruary 14, 2018
This review is for somewhere I worked 13 years ago. At the time, the management was kind and caring. They supported their workers, but that was changing as medical records and changes to other medical regulations changed the role of support staff. I left before those changes fully took effect.
Pros
Quiet, professional atmosphere working nights
Cons
Working nights
Good Entry Level Position
Supply Chain Tech (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILFebruary 11, 2018
Typical Day - Worked second shift from 2-:30-11:00pm. After 6:30pm I was the only Supply Chain person left on the floor. This resulted in being asked to resolve multiple issues relating to patient care. Overtime was almost always needed to complete the assigned workload.

Learned - Multitasking skills improved

Management - Department manager was knowledgeable of workload issues and worked to try to resolve them.

Workplace culture - high stress environment, due to trying to meet the needs of multiple departments and emergencies.

Hardest Part - Workload was too excessive for 1 person to manage

Enjoyable part - Satisfaction in being a part of the patient care team
Benefits
Cons
Workload, and stressful evironment
It's a place to work
Discharge Call Specialist (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILFebruary 8, 2018
It's a place to work nothing bad to say but nothing outstanding to say either. It was a place to work and that is all I have to say. Thank you for your time
Longtime Success with Remarkable Tenure
Performance Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJanuary 30, 2018
Carle Foundation has been a wonderful workplace for me. They welcomed me as both a new employee as well as a new transplant to the community. The work/life balance was perfect. The benefits were competitive, and it was motivating to be a part of a fast-growing company, despite its homegrown roots.
Pros
Cons
Unclear Advancement Process/Methods
Good job
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILJanuary 8, 2018
Awesome people to work with. I learned a lot as a volunteer and am now a student intern. I have learned so much from the staff at Carle and would highly recommend this hospital.
Corporate
Geriatric Telehealth Nurse (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILDecember 12, 2017
Carle is very much a corporate/business entity. It was always about the bottom line. The work environment was the worst I have experienced in 18 years of healthcare. Most was due to poor management.
Advancement is offered if you work hard
Health Infomaton Pro Fee Coding Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILNovember 24, 2017
I had many opportunities for advancement which I took advantage of. Working in the medical field is awesome. People are treated fairly, race is not a factor.
Pros
advancement
Cons
education benefits
Great pay and benefits
HIM Professional Fee Coding Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILNovember 16, 2017
The pay and benefits were very competitive for the job market. I loved my job role but the expectations of the management team were conflicting and unrealistic.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
unrealistic expectations. unsupportive managers
Productive and a fun work places
Patient Accounts Specialist /Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILNovember 6, 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job is everyone so friendly, and trying to make a fun work places on the stressful day. be able to learn multi-task, and able to quickly adjust work to accommodate expected and unexpected changes.
I enjoyed working for Carle
Schedule Specialist (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 26, 2017
I loved working for Carle it was a different experience for me, I learned different tools that I never used. I would love to work for them again in a different area.
Fast paced workplace with room for advancement
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILOctober 23, 2017
This is a level 1 trauma center with a very fast paced atmosphere which I loved. But, when you work for this company they almost own you. If there is a snow storm plan to pack a bag and leave your family to provide care for their patients.
Pros
Fast paced environment
Cons
Terrible work/life balance
Fast paced, high stress, short staffed/
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILOctober 1, 2017
Company has shifted into a more political, big corporate world than I am comfortable with.

Not as loyal to long term employees as they used to be. No compassion from many of the management staff.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not competitive in salary
Positive working staffs
Inpatient Coding Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Urbana, IL 61801September 27, 2017
Carle Foundation Hospital is very diverse and outlook on future growth is very positive. employees staffs work well together.
the CDI staffs and coding staffs work well together.
Carle coding staffs have the most up to date tools to the jobs needed. such Computer assisted coding, Online coding references.
Pros
Good communication between staffs and management team
Cons
no negative
productive place
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILSeptember 10, 2017
Great place to learn and grow. Really nice friendly people. You get exposure depending on your preceptor. It is important to be on time. I do not really have many complaints since I only interned there
Stressful, backstabbing, minimal chance to advance
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South ClinicSeptember 10, 2017
Management in the department was very secretive and talked about staff with other non-management staff in an unprofessional manner. Young, cute and female staff were preferred over anyone with experience or knowledge in the department's speciality. The PSR manager was openly hostile. She and the PSR Lead went out of their way the show favoritism inn the staff. Despite Carle's "open door policy," addressing personnel issues with HR only made matters worse. Carle is always hiring because the are always firing or running staff off.
Pros
Insurance, paid vacation
Cons
Upper management has no control over department management
Growth in knowledge, but lack of educated employees
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILSeptember 4, 2017
There is plenty of opportunity to grow, but due to the job culture, some older employees lack ability to change with new technology and fail to realize the potential with initial changes to make the process flow smoother. This in turn slows down company productivity, accuracy and increases stress and frustration.
Technology needs increased which would attract educated persons since they would know there are opportunities to use advanced systems and make positive, impacted changes. As currently they are outdated and require massive amounts of maintenance.
Disciplinary practices are not used appropriately and those that need guidance are slow to receive it, if any at all, again causing company wide frustration when AR is at stake due to poor workmanship.
Pros
Paid time off, organizational advancements are possible
Cons
Disclinpary practies are poor and not applied appropriately
Productive and Fun!
Volunteer Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 29, 2017
I enjoyed the people and the place! Mr. Bergmann was one of the most influential people in my life and I try to live by his own standards. Carle hires wonderful people.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
New Volunteer Head Coordinator
Fast Paced
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 22, 2017
Assisting the doctors, taking the patients back to their rooms and getting them ready to see the doctor. Very relaxed and well balanced environment to work.
nice place to work
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 17, 2017
Carle has a lot of staff and a large facility. It is easy to get overwhelmed and there is not a lot of training you have to go through before they throw you into the job with out help.
Drama
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILAugust 17, 2017
Too much drama and it starts at the management level and trickles down. If you don't have a degree, you can't advance or better yourself; therefore, you will always be a "peon." The CEO is awesome, but not helpful to the peons
Pros
decent benefits compared to other businesses
Cons
poor pay, no room for advancement if you don't have a degree, too much drama