The Catholic University of America Management reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Environment
Technical Support Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 5, 2018
Nice environment & Staff. A great place to gain experience for an entry level IT professional. Holidays off with students is a nice bonus. High turn over rate because of poor management.
Always busy day schedule
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 14, 2017
Busy, but always able finish all req. job that day. A lots of learning.
Good teamwork and workplace & workplace culture.
Good support from management.
Ok
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  My officeDecember 7, 2017
Could be a great company to work for but management is terrible, Pay is terrible, no such thing as pay raises or cost of living raises. The company looks good from the outside looking in.
Pros
A lot of paid holidays, We get every Catholic holiday off with pay, plus your average holidays with the exception of President's Day and Veteran's Day.
Cons
Salary
Great Place to work
PeopleSoft Consultant for HR and Payroll (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 5, 2017
Busy day working with Developers. Running different payroll processes to analyze where/why the double deductions are appearing on employees paychecks. Worked on a daily bases with Developers.which was new for me. The management was very supportive and work place was diversified. Hardest part of the job was getting there. The Metro system was not very dependable. Enjoyable part was working with great folks!
Pros
Free bagels everyday
Cons
Commute
Lack of communication with supervisor.
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 5, 2017
Pulling trash, mopping and vacuuming floors. Cleaning restrooms, offices, classrooms, and dorm rooms. I learned that management can be very poorly sometimes and unprofessional.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not enough sick/annual leave
Dissapointing experience
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 23, 2017
A very poor culture. I do not recommend certain portions of the university to work in; others seem to be fine. Overall, the staff is unhappy; high turnover and the students leave at an alarming rate also.
An institution in transition
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 30, 2016
Great benefits and nice area of DC to work in. Management is working towards having all new hires to be devout Catholics limiting job opportunities.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Secretive Management
An employer that is in a downward spiral
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 5, 2016
In the time I was here the overall culture, atmosphere, and management declined. Employees are over worked and underpaid. Managers are not professional and they are not given any training opportunities. Bad managers are not dealt with and continue bad behavior. HR is totally dysfunctional with horrible directors on staff. I was so happy to get out of that organization.
Pros
Good time off benefits, retirement benefits, and education benefits.
Cons
Low pay, bad culture.
Busy College
custodian (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 18, 2015
Clean 4 buildings daily. Ive learned time management skills. Management is unorganized. Co-workers are hard workers. Hardest part of the day is usually in the morning. The most enjoyable part of the job is meetings.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Short breaks Health benefits
Just a Job
Food server, Aramark (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 1, 2015
Typical day at work prep my station and just serve or 5 hours and go home.
I have learned that you stay to yourself.
management are all for themselves instead of there employees
co workers are great and un makes my work day fast.
no hard part
the most enjoyable part o my job is the employees.
Pros
free food
Cons
short break
Unstable and financially strained work environment
Assistant to the Chair (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 23, 2015
Upper administration seem detached and despondent to the needs of its administrative staff. Tenuous environment to work in at the moment. Staff morale is down along with salaries.
Cons
Incredibly high turnover rates.
A good experience overall
Library Assistant and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 30, 2015
My first Job in USA and quite a fruitful one. Learned quite a lot of new management skills and work ethics.

Library Assistants' job are Opening/Closing duties and helping patrons check-out/in of their books

Teaching Assistant helps an instructor for a course, along with grading. I used to help in Chemistry Lab classes.
Very Hard Work Enviroment
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Marist hallSeptember 21, 2014
A typical day of work varies usually clean offices bathrooms classrooms and sometimes have 2 buildings to clean instead of one. If snow put salt out and shovel entrances.

I learned more about green cleaning snow removal cleaning classrooms and fire safety.

Management has changed a lot
My coworkers work hard and sufficient
Is doing 2 buildings and working the midnight shift I don't sleep very well during the day only 3 hours
The most enjoyable part of the day is completing my assignment.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Too much work Mandatory Overtime
good working place
Laboratory Technician, Vitreous State Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 26, 2013
I'd like work at the CUA, hope some day I can back to CUA.
I was analysising chemical sample using all kinds of chemical instruments, e.g. DCP, ICP, IC.
An effective operation and cooperation plays a key role in effective work

A typical day at work
Preparation of DCP equipment, sample test operation, experiment result report

What you learned
Cooperation among those involved in lab management, experiment operation,

Your co-workers
Cooperative and encouraging, friendly and dutiful, diversified national and ethnic background

The hardest part of the job

Language is always the weak point due to none-native English speaker

The most enjoyable part of the job

Target goals are achieved due to hard and effective working and smooth cooperation
Loved working with students and professors in a dramatic setting!
Admini Assistant, Drama Department (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 17, 2013
I always started the day with sorting the messages from the phone, fax machine, and email. Then delegated tasks to the student workers. The rest of my day consisted of time managing and executing all the different tasks of my job; Associate Chair's schedule, memos, copies and secretarial duties, hiring, firing, and supervising student workers, mail sorting, supply ordering, class assignments, grade entries, professor scheduling, facilities management, incoming student reports, prospective student inquires, tours, timesheets, payday, etc...
I learned how to multitask, and prioritize, and how to delegate and manage people.
My coworkers were a smart group of talented drama professors, full of creativity and energy. The support staff all had a background in theater, and we all enjoyed the success of the department and knowing that somehow we all contributed in a small way to that success.
The hardest part of the the job was working during the quiet summer. The students weren't there to liven up the empty halls and the job was a lot of "house cleaning" and getting ready for the fall.
The best part of the job was always spring with students finishing up requirements and graduating. The weather was great, the campus looked pretty, students and staff were happy. There was always a celebratory feel to the department. Helping students succeed with higher education was very fulfilling.
Pros
getting to see live theatre and watching the talented students
Cons
The occasional "Drama Queen"
Low-pay but generous benefits.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 26, 2013
Management is listens to "grapevine" talk among staff.

People are generally nice and supervisors are very considerate. But there are a lot of politics in the final decision-making of staff and policy.

Pros: Staff get many holiday breaks, half-day summer Friday and generous vacation and sick leave benefits. Higher Education benefits for you and your family a big plus for those with college-age children.

Con: The numerous lay-offs have caused tremendous morale break-down among the staff.
Pros
Good life-work balance.
Cons
In my opinion, there is a lack of strategic approach to the financial crisis.
If you are interested in entry level salary and outdated benefits CUA is the place
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington DCMarch 13, 2012
Out dated and conservitive values. No maturnity benefits no day care no consideration for young mothers. Job security is 0. They hire based on who you know even if you are not qualified for the position. Salaries are below area value.