The Center for Health Care Services Employee Reviews

Fast-paced, stressful environment with great lower management but poor upper management
Clinical Practitioner I/Wraparound Facilitator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 17, 2018
The Center for Health Care Services is a great place to learn in the mental health world but is high stress due to meeting hourly requirements. The clientele is intense but is the least of the struggle working with the company. While learning quite a bit about mental health, upper management is unsupportive looking more at the direct service times and less at the quality of the service provided. There are no opportunities for pay raises and overtime is only offered in certain roles.
Pros
Great benefits, flexible schedule
Cons
High service hour demands, not supported by upper management
More about money, less about patients.
Qualified Mental Health Practitioner (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 4, 2018
If you're genuinely working to change lives, this is not the place. Though the pay is relatively okay, the amount of work and red tape that surrounds the agency is awful. Direct Management is fantastic and supportive, but upper management and human resources is entrenched with out dated ideologies, and are more interested in lining their pockets than they are in helping the mentally ill population.

It's a great starting experience to get your foot in the mental health, but not great as a long term career.
Pros
Fantastic coworkers; very supportive and understanding
Cons
The demand and expectations of the company are not realistic
Good intentions for consumer help, poor management
Clinical Practitioner. (Former Employee) –  Rather not sayAugust 1, 2018
The Center's got a good mission, a few good clinicians and good intentions but it will never become more than what it is: a political, bureaucratic mess of an agency that has no real talent or passion in their upper management, VP and C-suite level people.
I've worked with some caring professionals that truly care about the mental health and sub use consumers that we work with but almost ALL the management is bad. Mostly just internal people that get promoted and stay forever. They don't care about consumers, consumer care or ask us anything, everything is doled out to middle managers and direct care workers and there is no say in anything. It's gotten worse. Paperwork is long and redundant. Only get reimbursed for mileage if we use our cars to see consumers. They are always finding ways to control services more and worry more about money and their six figure salaries than they do our consumers, services, or the overall morale health of the agency. HR dept. is a joke and are more concerned with threatening to not pay you if you don't keep up with your trainings than real personnel concerns. Good people don't stay here long, there is A LOT of turnover and they don't pay competitively for nurses or doctors or licensed counselors. The work environment is often stressful, favoritism is rampant and overall just a badly managed agency.
Pros
get experience to work with local mentally ill population, sometimes get free CEUs.
Cons
bad upper management, no raises, stressful, demanding.
Not what I expected...
Clinical Practioner 1 (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 24, 2018
Came to this agency from a previous employer who obtained favoritism, unrealistic expectations, unfit working environment, etc. and was greeted with the same at this agency. Even senior employees have stated that its getting worse. There are high case loads, constantly getting reprimanded for no shows by clients. Was informed by current supervisor in so many ways that it's about the money. Patient care has gone out the window. The purpose and idea of the agency is not the priority of the agency anymore. I enjoy my clients, but sometimes have to be the bearer of bad news, which affects my repour with them. High turn over due to high stress, low pay, lack of support from management, constant write ups, no bonus, no appreciation.
Pros
Experience with population
Cons
Management, pay, high stress, high case loads, no appreciation
Need to hire more staff
REIMBURSEMENT SPECIALIST III- TEAM LEAD (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 4, 2019
This center is funded by the state therefore there’s a budget and they aren’t Able to give raises or hire staff. Makes it very difficult to work being understaffed other than that great company to work for.
Great co-workers, poor management
Clinical Practitioner II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 4, 2018
A typical day: seeing children with psychiatric symptoms *8 each day), plus making sure all of their required assessments are complete, following up on referrals, covering everyone else's cases (extremely high turnover), dealing with never knowing what is going on...
Very little time for planning or preparing your sessions due to documentation requirements and impossibly high caseloads (at about 130 right now, and must be seen 2-4 times each month!).
Pros
supportive co-workers (not management), seeing positive change in children
Cons
zero support from upper management, total lack of communication
Chcs
Integrated Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 19, 2018
CHCS can be a great place to work, but the stress level can be high due to the complexities and difficulties we are working with everyday.
I enjoyed the people I worked with and the flexibility in my schedule.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Pay, management, benefits
CHCS was a very busy place to work
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 23, 2018
Time management was very important as there was always something needing to be done. the work was detailed and never ending. The management always tried to keep to keep us up to date on new policies or procedures. The hardest part of the job was technical- the computer system was a constant challenge as 1 program or another that we used constantly was either stalled or crashed. I.T. did however do their best to correct issues.
Pros
compensation was competative, management tried to keep staff up to date on new policies
Cons
physical work environment was not ergonamically safe, resulting in bad posture and physical discomfort
Low Pay
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 1, 2018
Low pay no raises. Affordable health insurance due low pay. No increase in salary for management. Had to seek other employment to be able to afford health insurance.
Good work experience
Clinical Practitioner II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 20, 2018
CHCS is advancing from "non-profit" to large organization and with that comes a lot of unnecessary pleasing of upper management. I love the help that we give our clients, but I've observed that this organization is much more concerned with dollar signs than helping the community. With a line of work with such high turnover, I wish I was a little more appreciated as an employee, but I enjoy the freedom of field based case management and I have amazing supervisors and co-workers.
Pros
Benefits are okay, PTO is okay
Cons
low salaries, large caseloads
Work friendly enviorment
LCDC II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 25, 2018
A typical day at work was supervised and supportive. I received required training as needed to perform job requirements and maintain licensure(s). The management was informative and always available and when not there was a clear procedure to seek assistant. The workplace was cultural friendly and provided assistant for language challenges. The hardest part of job is limited over-time, documentation was required when work more the 8 hrs. days or 40 hrs. weeks. The most enjoyable part of the job was my supervisor; available and supportive in personal issues that could impact my work performance. My co-workers were team players.
Pros
structure, tranings, friendly work environment
Cons
trying to complete daily work requirements within 8 hrs.
CHCS Review
Permanency Project Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 14, 2018
CHCS was a good place to work, it was challenging work and the benefits were good. Depending on where you worked in the company, the managers need more training in how to communicate better with staff and residential staff need a lot more training
Pros
Ira
Direct Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 8, 2018
Productive safe environment good teamwork. You learn something every day and on the plus size you help others that struggle with certain tasks or disabilities
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
No breaks nor raises
making a difference
Clinical Practitioner II- QMHP-CS (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 9, 2018
A typical day at work could be stressful at times do to being short handed. during my employment there I learned time management. The hardest part of the job was the lack of support from management when it came to client complaints. As a case manager your voice never gets heard over the client. I really enjoyed making a difference in the lives of others and watching them overcome many challenges in their lives.
Pros
Get to make a difference in the lives of others
Cons
Lack of support from management
Team oriented and flexibility
Clinical Practitioner (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 28, 2018
CHCS is overall a place to gain experience working with high risk and a marginalized population. I have learned how to provide unconditional positive regard to clients. Management is supportive and most will provide good clinical judgement. Client centered and very people oriented. Being employed with CHCS has assisted with networking and collaborating with community agencies.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
high caseloads
Worst Place To Work!!!
Medical Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 22, 2018
Poor management, favoritism, and retaliation are very prevalent within the company. There are no job advancement unless you know someone in upper management. Workers are frequently dissatisfied with the management skills.
Pros
Good fringe benefits!
Cons
High frequency in retaliation, especially towards subordinates.
Money at your own schedule
Health Care Provider (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 22, 2018
Being a provider through CHCS is okay for the most part. It’s not my ideal job but it’s something people take on the side. The company pays for your certifications in CPR/First Aid/AED and SAMA training. The time sheet system can be a little confusing at first but when done like a broken record it becomes second nature. You may pick up any amount of hours and clients, so you may make as much money as you want really depending on how much you’d like to work.
Pros
Flexible time scheduling
Cons
No benefits, no paid, vacation, untaxed
Not a good place of employment
Clinical Practitioner I (Former Employee) –  Paul Elizondo or Zarzamora ClincDecember 5, 2018
Let's introduce the pros of working for CHCS since there's not many. The pay is not necessarily bad, it's just not exactly equivalent to the amount of work and trainings that you do. There are benefits which is definitely a plus, but the insurance doesn't cover much and can get very expensive depending on your specific family needs. It is good experience. Everyone always told me "if you've worked for the Center, you can work anywhere". Lastly, it is very easy to befriend your coworkers because everyone is stressed and hates working there, so you all have something in common. Now let's get into the cons. Very poor management. The management was definitely the primary reason I quit working at CHCS. They listen to your concerns and promise change, but you are left with many broken promises. A lot of them are also very unprofessional and probably shouldn't be in a management position. If you do take a position at CHCS just remember that management will not have your back. Everyone fins for themselves. They also don't really care for their employees like they should. They are very short staffed because their turnover rate is approaching 50 percent and so the job is very stressful and it doesn't get much better. There are also a lot of trainings that you are expected to complete. Some of the trainings are online and some of them are in person. If the trainings are not completed by the deadline there are consequences. CHCS also makes it very difficult for their clients to become successful in their recovery because it is very hard to get in and get an appointment and if they are not  more... keeping up with their appointments, they are put on walk-in status. Employees are always leaving for better opportunities and everyone is pretty much replaceable. I hope this helps for anyone who is considering working at CHCS. If you do take the position, do not work at the Zarzamora clinic, which is soon to be relocated across the downtown UTSA campus.  less
Pros
benefits are available, pay isn't terrible, easy to befriend coworkers
Cons
poor management, very stressful work environment, too many trainings, employees are not cared for
Upper Management was unresponsive to me as the DON
Director of Nursing Supervision and Quality (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 9, 2018
I learned that you have to be able to function on your own, but answer to upper management on the smallest details of your job. Doctors are set on an imaginary pedestal. Unequal treatment. Abusive environment. No respect for nurses. Told to make my own decisions, but arbitrarily vetoed on insignificant issues. Working with the nurses was the most enjoyable part of this job.
Pros
Managerial position
Great work life balance
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 26, 2018
Working for the Center for healthcare services was a great job. Great work culture, homework life balance. Working at a nonprofit organization pay raises are far fewer in between.