The Center for Health Care Services Employee Reviews

Fast-paced, stressful environment with great lower management but poor upper management
Clinical Practitioner I/Wraparound Facilitator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 17, 2018
The Center for Health Care Services is a great place to learn in the mental health world but is high stress due to meeting hourly requirements. The clientele is intense but is the least of the struggle working with the company. While learning quite a bit about mental health, upper management is unsupportive looking more at the direct service times and less at the quality of the service provided. There are no opportunities for pay raises and overtime is only offered in certain roles.
Pros
Great benefits, flexible schedule
Cons
High service hour demands, not supported by upper management
More about money, less about patients.
Qualified Mental Health Practitioner (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 4, 2018
If you're genuinely working to change lives, this is not the place. Though the pay is relatively okay, the amount of work and red tape that surrounds the agency is awful. Direct Management is fantastic and supportive, but upper management and human resources is entrenched with out dated ideologies, and are more interested in lining their pockets than they are in helping the mentally ill population.

It's a great starting experience to get your foot in the mental health, but not great as a long term career.
Pros
Fantastic coworkers; very supportive and understanding
Cons
The demand and expectations of the company are not realistic
Good intentions for consumer help, poor management
Clinical Practitioner. (Former Employee) –  Rather not sayAugust 1, 2018
The Center's got a good mission, a few good clinicians and good intentions but it will never become more than what it is: a political, bureaucratic mess of an agency that has no real talent or passion in their upper management, VP and C-suite level people.
I've worked with some caring professionals that truly care about the mental health and sub use consumers that we work with but almost ALL the management is bad. Mostly just internal people that get promoted and stay forever. They don't care about consumers, consumer care or ask us anything, everything is doled out to middle managers and direct care workers and there is no say in anything. It's gotten worse. Paperwork is long and redundant. Only get reimbursed for mileage if we use our cars to see consumers. They are always finding ways to control services more and worry more about money and their six figure salaries than they do our consumers, services, or the overall morale health of the agency. HR dept. is a joke and are more concerned with threatening to not pay you if you don't keep up with your trainings than real personnel concerns. Good people don't stay here long, there is A LOT of turnover and they don't pay competitively for nurses or doctors or licensed counselors. The work environment is often stressful, favoritism is rampant and overall just a badly managed agency.
Pros
get experience to work with local mentally ill population, sometimes get free CEUs.
Cons
bad upper management, no raises, stressful, demanding.
Great mission, poor execution
Employee (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 9, 2018
Although The Center for Health Care Services has an honorable mission, the execution is lacking. The leadership seems to concerned with trivial issues to make a substantial impact in the community. Company is very top heavy.
Upper Management was unresponsive to me as the DON
Director of Nursing Supervision and Quality (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 9, 2018
I learned that you have to be able to function on your own, but answer to upper management on the smallest details of your job. Doctors are set on an imaginary pedestal. Unequal treatment. Abusive environment. No respect for nurses. Told to make my own decisions, but arbitrarily vetoed on insignificant issues. Working with the nurses was the most enjoyable part of this job.
Pros
Managerial position
Fun and loving company
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 9, 2018
The Center for Health Care Services is a working place that helps people in need. This organization is a true believer of hand helping hand. Love here
Pros
welllness company
Low Pay
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 1, 2018
Low pay no raises. Affordable health insurance due low pay. No increase in salary for management. Had to seek other employment to be able to afford health insurance.
Depends on Dept
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 25, 2018
Admin dept is horribly disorganized. There is no process to anything but they expect you to meet numbers and deadlines. You ask for training but they dont even give you that. When you go to training , it's only for counselors. Nothing administrative. They feed you food sometimes though.
Pros
Not micromanaged
Cons
People don't stay longer than 6 months
learning everyday
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 17, 2018
Company provides staff training, paid education, paid holiday. Staff incentives. Always learning everyday to improve on the job to provide good customer service to the population we serve.
Pros
employee discounts; paid holidays
Unprofessional and unethical
Clinical Practitioner (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 24, 2018
I have never had a worse experience at a place of employment. The unfair and unethical behavior starts at the top and the direct care workers are treated like they are insignificant and unimportant. There is zero support from even the most basic level of management or anything above that. I cannot say enough what an awful experience I had working for this company.

Want to know more about The Center for Health Care Services?

Ask a question
Good work experience
Clinical Practitioner II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 20, 2018
CHCS is advancing from "non-profit" to large organization and with that comes a lot of unnecessary pleasing of upper management. I love the help that we give our clients, but I've observed that this organization is much more concerned with dollar signs than helping the community. With a line of work with such high turnover, I wish I was a little more appreciated as an employee, but I enjoy the freedom of field based case management and I have amazing supervisors and co-workers.
Pros
Benefits are okay, PTO is okay
Cons
low salaries, large caseloads
Worst Place To Work!!!
Medical Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 22, 2018
Poor management, favoritism, and retaliation are very prevalent within the company. There are no job advancement unless you know someone in upper management. Workers are frequently dissatisfied with the management skills.
Pros
Good fringe benefits!
Cons
High frequency in retaliation, especially towards subordinates.
Very low moral
Commuity guest specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TxFebruary 19, 2018
The center was a place where family members got to work together, sisters would cover their major errors and blamed was put on other employees. Supervisor and lead residential would steal the consumer medication.
Pros
Good hours to work
Cons
No breaks offered, work coverege was incompliance
Provides needed public services
Caseworker III (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 9, 2018
Publicly funded outpatient mental health and substance recovery provider. Has many services to offer people in need. State funding subject to political ideology, budget reductions.
Pros
Advancement possible in the long run
Cons
Unpredictable funding
The Center
Clinical Mental Health Practitioner II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 1, 2018
A typical day of work is seeing several clients back to back with no break. It is a terrific learning environment but they expect too much as far as work production and that sometimes interferes with one's ability to have a personal life after work. Management is not trained to talk to the employees they supervise as far as speaking to the employees in a professional manner. The ideal manager has the employee think about how they can perform their job better and not about the rude way in which they were spoken to by management. The hardest part of the job is that some of the people that come for services are resistant to change so they will not be helped by the services offered. The best part of the job is seeing someone on the path to recovery and knowing that they will be able to live their life with a greater degree of success.
Pros
Good Insurance
Cons
No breaks
Fast Paced Environment
Registered Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 22, 2018
Very fast paced clinic workday is good. Clients that you will deal with a worth helping. Management lets everyone get away with too much with other employees, lack or structure and rules. Most enjoyable part of job is that you are helping people cope and see how much that they are going through.
Pros
lots of experience lots to learn
Cons
horrible at structure of a clinic works
Chcs
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 6, 2017
Overall, they do good work in the community. I have not worked there in many years, so I do not want to make any other comments. I don't think it would be fair.
The center expects you to work more for less
Clinical Practitioner II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 9, 2017
There has not been a week where I haven't worked more than my 40 hour supposed salaried time piece and although I believe in being a team they have not been supportive of family or time off.
Pros
Free lunch and benefits
Cons
Long hours, bad management and poor working environment.
Friendly staff, good place to work
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 13, 2017
My experience with the company was a positive one, the staff was very friendly to work with. The patients made it a good experience to work with, and learn new skills.
Pros
friendly place to work
work environment is stressful
Reimbursement Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 25, 2017
everyone including management is nice and friendly, always hard working individuals that work there, always room for advancement, good benefits and pay.