The Center for Youth and Family Solutions Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Team atmosphere which promotes a healthy workplace
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, ILMarch 30, 2018
This is a great place to work. The management team is supportive and the workplace functions in a "Team" setting. When you need help there is always someone there.
The position is rewarding and fulfilling as you are aware you are helping to address concerns and reunify families.
Amazing work environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, ILMarch 22, 2018
This is an excellent place to work, the team is wonderful and the agency takes a very positive strengths based approach to case management. I have worked at another child welfare agency and chose to come back to the family like atmosphere at CYFS!
Pros
Team approach, rewarding work
Cons
Can be stressful
Not Enough Work
Crisis Advocate (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMarch 14, 2018
I was on call but there wasn't much work, so the pay wasn't great. If i didn't receive a crisis call i only got $25 that day. I didn't much complain because no calls, meant there were no kids in danger
A great place to work!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, ILMarch 12, 2018
I have worked here for several years. This agency highly values best practice and providing ample training for staff. The office culture is very supportive and positive and helps mitigate the challenges that come with child welfare.
Pros
flexible schedule, supportive coworkers
Cons
can be stressful at times
Great Place to Work!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  SpringfieldMarch 9, 2018
I've been with CYFS for years, and love working here. The people are kind, supportive, and provide appropriate training on how to be successful at this job. I highly recommend anyone looking to enter the social services field to consider a career with CYFS.
Social Work
Foster Care Family Worker (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 21, 2018
You will love to work for the Center for Youth and Family Solutions.
It will change you in many ways.
You will meet people from every walk of life from judges and attorney's to drug addicts and others. The culture is supportive and inclusive.
Horrid management and horrible treatment
former employee (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILFebruary 9, 2018
Management was the worst i've had. The center has a well earned reputation for being the worst place to work in "BloNo", ask around for yourself. Favoritism and double standards were daily in play. Cliquish co workers act as if they are still freshmen. The hours were horrible, but the supervisors are why most people quit. Had I known that social work in Illinois was this cut throat and horrible, I would have switched my major at ISU. Insincere, backstabbing, demeaning supervisors that go out of their way not to help you. Someone once wrote "treated as disposable help". That was an understatement.
Pros
Help the community
Cons
Supervision lives up to its horrid reputation
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 2, 2018
CYFS is a good place to work. The people are friendly. It is a larger social service company so there are opportunities for advancement. The work schedule is fair and depending on the position travel may be expected.
A Runaway Train
Worker (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILDecember 26, 2017
I was treated really terribly as an employee here. They have a case of group think in upper management. CYFS in Peoria at least is really poorly run. Under educated superiors and really hard working middle earners. You are an at will employee which means they can fire you if they don't like the way you tie your shoes. I was an outstanding employee here but I was not going to be harassed by a mentally ill manager, they said I was an inferior employee. Do not work here.
Pros
Nice building. Great receptionist, good insurance
Cons
Idiotic management. Bullying.
Worthwhile, but can be difficult
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILAugust 21, 2017
Any social agency can be difficult work, but if it is what you enjoy, it is worth it.
A lot of different programs are provided by CYFS to the community.
Stressful environment
FOSTER CARE CASEWORKER (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 3, 2017
This was a very unhealthy work environment. The staff did not feel supported by the management and were expected to give 150% for minimal pay. Everyday was high stress with little pay-off.
Cons
Lack of support, low pay, high stress
Foster parenting children
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 29, 2017
Caring and loving children that biological parents could't do or maybe at some point didn't want to care and love such a innocent person. Giving this child a chance at life. Showing them what love is . Supporting their every need .Just giving them the love and care that one need in this life.
Pros
Being a parent to a child
Cons
returning to biological parents when time wasn't right. Putting child in to a not safe environment.
clicky atmosphere, don;t allow a work/life balance , but random bounces
Crisis Intervention Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 11, 2017
Typical day at work - paperwork and client meetings
what I learned- good trainings
Management- supportive , but not with the on call calendar
workplace culture- poor
the hardest part of the job- on call calendar
most enjoyable part of job- helping the client become the best they can be.
Pros
random bounces
Cons
workplace culture, on call calender \
Wonderful Work/Life Balance
Communications (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 10, 2017
Wonderful place to work. Caring staff working together for the betterment of the child, the family & the Community! I have a wonderful work/life balance. Administrators are very accommodating with family schedules and it is VERY much appreciated!
Pros
Flexibility, Life Insurance, 401K Match
Exceptional Work Place
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Rock Island, ILMarch 5, 2017
I have worked for this company since day 1. This is a top performing agency where best practice is taken seriously and the dedication to providing the families the best quality services possible is of utmost importance. The support from colleagues is incredible and helps to make the challenging aspects of the job more manageable.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Similar to other social service agencies
Supportive and Family-Oriented
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 17, 2017
I have worked for this organization since it's inception nearly 5 years ago. I find it to be very supportive, both colleagues and leadership/admin. Being a professional and a mother, this agency has been very flexible to allow me to meet the needs of both the agency/clients and my family. My co-workers are wonderful people who are dedicated to helping people and supporting each other. My supervisor has been nothing but open to new ideas, supportive, and encouraging. I have really enjoyed my time with this agency and look forward to many more years!
Pros
Flexible time, supportive, training opportunities, advancement opportunities, dedicated to serving clients
Cons
The work can be very emotionally difficult at times.
Great 2 year experience working at The Center for Youth and Family Solutions
Case manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 5, 2015
I was hired as a Redeploy Illinois Case Manager to work part time with Juvenile Boys and the Drug Court Case Manager for Adult clients. My Caseload was about 8 Juvenile Boys and 9 adult clients. Most of my time was spent in the field, in court, home/office visits , job seeking etc. With a full schedule there was still time to attend staff meetings, weekly Team meetings and enough time for daily casenotes. Weekly Team meetings were a big plus to discuss any issues we were having. Our Team was very supportive of one another and willing to help when needed. I had at least one intern each semester and they were a big help. Requesting time off was usually not a big deal if ample time was given. My overall experience with CYFS was a good one. I resigned my position because my spouse's job relocated us. If you are seeking to work with an Agency that really cares about their employees and clients I would highly recommend CYFS.
Pros
Flexible hours, Use of Agency Cars
Cons
Some Late Evening and weekend hours required.
Amazing People to work with who care deeply about the people they serve
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 5, 2015
CYFS is a wonderful agency to work for. The employees and management strive to see clients succeed, and serve the community through compassion and generosity. The people who work at CYFS are genuine and were a joy to work with. This agency truly cares deeply for clients and the community and treats employees with respect.

I worked with the same individuals when the agency was Catholic Charities and still maintain contact with individuals since moving out of the area. The people and the mission they live out make this agency a gem in the social service field.
Challenging job with low return
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMarch 1, 2015
The work can be rewarding, but the management is lacking. Work hours are incredibly unstable, layoffs are common, there is little to no room for staff advancement, there is some staff favoritism, and the agency does not value the families of their employees.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, decent benefits but high premiums
Cons
Poor consideration for employee families, poor compensation, inconsistent and unreliable management, terrible communication among staff
great team of employees working toward the same goals
Foster Care/Intact Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, ILJanuary 11, 2015
Everyday is different with this job and schedules and tasks change often. Time management and organization is essential to be effective and give clients the best possible service.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
High burnout rate, emotionally challenging career