The Centers for Families and Children Employee Reviews

If you like stress and being underappreciated this is the job for you.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 18, 2019
The work environment was very toxic and stressful. Management did not care about the safety of employees. You are often asked to do things unethical and non-clinical. Their policies change with the weather. There's no true grievance process without repercussions. You're underpaid .
Pros
Helpful coworkers
Cons
Terrible management and very stressful atmosphere.
Great Co Workers, Management Lack of Support
CPST Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 27, 2019
Wonderful Co workers and staff in most departments. However, high turnover with Case Managers, laid off a lot of upper management, push productivity, seeing clients for more productivity then true client care. No one is on the same page and they pass the buck. Nothing is ever enough with this company. Clients were great, however there is favoritism and unfair treatment. Daily, worrying about job security and they target Counselors and Case Managers. Pushing out employees over the six month trial period. Use them up and push them out. Overall, it was a great learning experience but not a great experience with Administration, HR and some of the Supervision Team.
Pros
Co workers and clients
Cons
Higher up don't care, over worked and under paid. No support!
Choose Wisely
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 22, 2019
I'll keep it simple, get licensed immediately, it's the only position worth while. Even then you'll be overworked and underpaid, nothing about working for this place is worth the amount of stress for a job that's already stressful.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling Compensation on the higher end for licensed
Cons
Poor management/Poor Leadership Job Insecurity Toxic Office
This place was so bad it’s hard to even explain all the reasons why you shouldn’t work here. Many employees were burnt out
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 7, 2019
Employees were underpaid and Over worked. And management at the offices are bullies but when you tell HR you become a target because HR is a joke. Trainin is poor 1 week, then you are assigned a caseload of 30 clients with severe mental health diagnosis and which comes with a lot of administrative work, reports to be completed for Medicaid billing and your pay is 30,000.00. You are hourly so if you don’t work you don’t get paid and when you work over to meet their unrealistic productivity, you willnot receive overtime. There are patients seeing case managers who should really be seeing counselors and patients who have been seeing both for years. There are no team supervision meetings to discuss cases as a team.
All in all it is run like a sweatshop with 25 to 30 workers sharing 12 offices. Every building has a bed bug issue, even where you are sent for training but they don’t tell you this right away. Taking a job here is risky for many reasons. I left this company and found a better job, same work higher pay and am appreciated!
Pros
Cons
All listed above and then some! RUN
Fun Place to Work
CPST Casemanager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 2, 2019
Management was awsome and learned a lot from my supervisor. Co-workers were great and very helpful. I was excited for the opportunity to work at Gordon Square.
Pros
Free lunches every week
Good company
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 10, 2018
My experience at the Centers for Families and Children was under a grant. I felt like the intention of the program I worked for was good, but the follow through of the organization was lacking. There was little direction and support for the program.
Love this place
Staff Accountant/Cash & Accts Receivables (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 4, 2018
The worst mistake I made was leaving this place. I loved all of my coworkers. I loved the work detail and everyone I worked with. I miss it everyday and often find myself patterning all other business after this one.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
CPST/Mentor- 3 years
Professional I - Behavioral Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Parma, OHNovember 9, 2018
No typical work day. Started out great! With recent merger.... high ups forget that us CPST's have a life and have a stressful job. Recently laid off more than 50 people due to "lack of funding" but continues to hire people just to fire on trial employment.

Management is a mess and inconsiderate. No real break. High caseload. HR is a joke. Expect an unrealistic Direct Service quota with paperwork/notes finished in a day.
Pros
Free lunch, flexible hours
Cons
No break unless you work overtime ( not paid), big case load.
poor
Manager of Support Services - Behavior Health (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 31, 2018
New Management brought new changes. Some good and some bad.
The workplace culture changed. Our benefits stayed the same even though the company had financial difficulties. The day to day staff working with clients are wonderful. Clients are wonderful..I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
job/worklife balance good
Cons
The Centers for Families and Children was not interested in the clients wellness.
Health and Wellness Counselor AOD (Former Employee) –  4500 Euclid ave Cleveland OH 44106September 12, 2018
I felt that the supervisors were not at all caring for the employees. The centers for Families and children was not at all what i had expected it to be. I say that because of the way the AOD program was ran. The centers for Families and Children seemed to focus on numbers rather than the quality of services. A typical day at work for me was doing assessments, facilitating groups and individual session with clients on my case load. I learned how to perform Psycho-social assessments. The hardest part of the job was learning the electronic record keeping software. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the clients and watching them during the groups.
Pros
Getting to travel around to the different sites, not being stationary.
Cons
Supervisor did not show empathy, nor interest in employee's well being.
Horrible place to work
TBS Coach (Current Employee) –  5955 ridge rd prama ohiSeptember 4, 2018
The pay is decent but the work environment is full microaggression and racial undertone. Management doesn't care about your well being just wants productivity.
Pros
wage
Cons
microaggression
Stressful at times depending on the day and client
Case manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 15, 2018
The Centers is a great place for me to be. I think it's all in how one individually looks at things. Do not take the negative reviews for what they are or the positive. You have to just work and form your own experiences in anything you do. My supervisor has been very helpful and the work I have done has had rewarding payoff. Some say management pushes numbers, and yes they do but they have for years. Overall I really like my job and have not had issues. I am not a fan of the office gossip which have lead to lower work morale and often finding rumors about people that are not the least bit true. My only other complaint would be I hear a lot of licensed staff don't get great raises. Personally for me I don't do my job for the most amount of money I can get. I live very comfortably and can make it myself. Eventually I do want to further my education, but not before providing quality service to my clients.
Pros
Free lunches, and union company
Cons
Low pay for licensed staff
Avoid if you can
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 9, 2018
The Centers was an amazing place to work. Then they merged with Circle health and became "community healthcare" and are more concerned with money than people. They have taken a non-profit organization and are trying to get it to turn profit. While every biz should make money, mental healthcare should be more about quality and not quantity otherwise, why are you doing it? They have fired hard workers for coming in under productivity, even if they were still in their trial employment. There is only a 60 cent raise when you get your license from school but there is twice the work and caseload. If you can avoid this place, do! It is places like this that give mental health treatment a bad name and keep people from coming in and getting help they need.
Cons
number driven, low pay, high mileage, no advancement
Poor management
Staff (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 5, 2018
Management was not professional. Environment was stressful. The concept of the clinic was to help with low income/mental health patients, but it seemed as though upper heads cared more about the profit than the patients health.
Stressful and poor management
Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 26, 2018
This job required long hours, had poor supervisors, and few people cared about the clients. The pay was not competitive with other agencies that are similar. I would not recommend.
What you'd expect out of a Non-Profit
HEALTH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 15, 2018
The mission is great and the company follows it pretty well. The work is meaningful but the compensation is way below average. Overall good job right out of college to gain experience, then transition to a better paying job.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Low Pay
Effective and productive place to be employed
Registrar /Clerical III (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 13, 2018
Overall it is a great place to work. Management for each team or each group is on top of everything. There are trainings and workshops conducted throughout the year which enhances are job skills, our privacy, and our protection. This is a mental health agency and we provide many services to those in the community and need of help.
Pros
Union oriented, health benefits, decent wages.
Cons
Due to the nature of employment there it can be stressful and is a fast-paced environment.
This has been a great opportunity
CASE MANAGER BEHAVIORAL HEALTH (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 13, 2018
I had a great experience. Very nice and informative co-workers. I all managers have an open door policy. The clients are receptive for the help. I am grateful for the opportunity.
Excellent Co-workers, Poor Pay
Counselor & Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Rocky River, OHFebruary 9, 2018
Excellent Co-workers - Great people who truly want to help their clients and are always willing to help each other out.
Compensation is not even close to competitive for the field. But you do have a large number of vacation/sick days
Pros
Often have free lunches brought in by Drug reps
Cons
low pay
work place
n/a (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 25, 2018
Ok place to work not sure what this has to do with me applying for another job but have nothing bad to say about the place would like to continue what i am doing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Centers for Families and Children. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.9InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

4.4Career Opportunities

4.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight