The Charlotte Observer Employee Reviews

Productive, Educational Workplace
MULTI-MEDIA ADVERTISING CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 8, 2017
I learned a lot about sales and print, digital and direct advertising solutions. As well as all aspects of marketing and various industries and what advertising solutions work best dependent on your industry. Management needs a lot of improvement. Workplace culture could use a lot of improving as well. The employee's were great to work with, however, upper management could use a lot of improving. The hardest part of the job was the commute and the sales goals. I was commuting over 3 hours a day uptown to the office and my territory was in Mooresville, and I live in South Charlotte. The sales goals were very unrealistic and active accounts were always taken away. Management would try to hold you back from promotions if they felt you were doing a great job where you were.
Pros
Occasional contests to win money
Cons
Management, unrealistic expectations, very little opportunity for advancement.
Very stressful
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 19, 2017
It’s a good place to work.good people to work with. It’s hard to do the routes that the way that the people want you to do them! Plus no help. Great if you need extra money.
Pros
Extra money
Cons
Hard on car
great job
Packaging (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 11, 2017
This jog was offered to me as soon as i left after my 9th grade year in high school. they offered me great pay and great hours. love this job if i could do it again i would.
Newspaper Delivery
Newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCMay 17, 2017
Delivered newspapers for two years. Decent pay for what it was. Was difficult to resolve issues with the office if you talked to anyone but one person.
Great benifits
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 27, 2017
The Observer was a great working place very family oriented looked after one another the benefits were good it was a great place to make new friends and family members
Goal oriented workplace with an emphasis on meeting deadines
Digital Campaign and Retention Executive (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 25, 2016
The Charlotte Observer was a great place to work. Working on the digital side of the brand my days were fast paced, ever changing and full of new and exciting projects and campaigns. The company had a strong family culture and I looked forward to going into work every day.
Pros
Family-like atmosphere. Great Location.
Cons
Could put a little more focus on innovation.
Good company
Sports Clerk/Editor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 17, 2015
A typical day at this position revolved around gathering information from sources on line and answering phones of parents and guardians giving information on their children. I learned how to type quickly and efficiently. I learned how to multi-task and how to behave in an office environment. Management was very relaxed and kept their employees accountable. My co-workers were very easy going and there was a great air of teamwork, The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the deadlines for the job, The best part of the job was being able to upload statistics for middle school and high school children,
Mailroom
Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 8, 2015
Good place to work and loved fellow employees.
Flexible schedule and family friendly.
Free time for continued education available at local colleges.
Pros
Work not that hard.
Cons
Overtime during holidays required.
It was a great company to work for when it was in business.
Independent Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 9, 2014
It was a great company to work for when it was in business. They were easy to deal with when looking for work.
23 years of working with the best
Picture Editor/Photographer/Photo Systems Editor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 27, 2014
I was able to meet people, do things, and go places, showing readers experiences they might never have the opportunity to personally enjoy. There were excellent opportunities for growth and learning with some of the best people in the business.
Pros
In the early years, we had nearly unlimited resources to explore the city, region and country.
Cons
The later decline of the newspaper business limited the range of coverage.
Always changing
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 21, 2014
Company more concerned about making money than keeping employees.
I have enjiyed my career as a pressman
Crewchief/Pressman (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 29, 2014
Set up the press
Tell crew what needs to be done
Operate the press for daily run
Check for quality
Clean up after the run
Pros
Doing something I like
Cons
Not being able to find a good job
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 5, 2014
The Observer has been a great place to work, you are expected to be accountable and trusted to do your job, therefore no micro managing. The hours are flexible in times of family interests. The people here are very nice and cooperative. The hardest part to being in this organization is the job security. Printing is becoming a thing of the past with digital becoming a part of our normal fabric.
Pros
Great people, Compensation
Cons
Job Security
Good Place to work.
Maintenance Machinist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 6, 2014
There is not a typical day here. Things change quickly you can be working 1 part of the building one minute and another the next. I have learned that you must be able to deal with pressure from departments when they are trying to meet deadlines.
My immediate management and co-workers were great to work with. We all had a common goal. The hardest part of the job knowing that they are trying to out source there production. However the best part was the people that I worked with.
Nice Established Newspaper Company
Output Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 1, 2013
I personally enjoyed working here for 25 years. Change was always certain as technology changed for the better.
Productive an fun with an hour lunch plus two breaks
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 11, 2013
Management was great when I worked their. thank you very much.
Pros
Will work with you during times of personnal troubles.
Cons
Non dedication of co-workers.
Hate that the employment ended
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 26, 2013
While it lasted the Charlotte Observer wasa great place place to work.........great benefits etc
Cons
hate that employment ended
I Enjoyed Working At The Observer, Worked Good Hrs, They Gave us Dinners , & Special Things Like Donuts After Working Christmas & Thanksgiving Hoilday
Ad Inserter (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 24, 2013
I Enjoyed Working There < Good bosses <Support, Would Still Be There But Was Injuied On Job....
Pros
good hrs, mornings, 4k program....
fun work place
Mail Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 17, 2012
i leaened how to use varies mailing machines, management was helpful,hardest part of job was time consumming, working with team players.
Pros
flexable long lunch breaks
Cons
micro mange
great training experience; this job fit my lifestyle well and the company showed a good deal of concern for the workers
Assistant District Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCApril 26, 2012
GREAT work experience and I loved doing this job; I learned a great deal about assisting co-workers and customers; the management had good relationship with the contractors and everyone seemed to work together to make the job easier and more productive; the hardest part of the job was working in inclement weather, and the most enjoyable part was the freedom in working conditions and decision making; I loved being informed as to what was expected then being left alone to accomplish the goals!
Pros
i liked my co-workers and my managers.
Cons
lots of travel in all kinds of weather, but not much job security