The Children's Home of Cincinnati Employee Reviews

Horrible management and poor clinical guidance
Behavioral Health Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 10, 2018
The Children's Home suffers from poor leadership and an extreme and disproportionate focus on billing/productivity with very little care given to clinical growth or reflective supervision.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Isolation, fear-based management, poor pay
School Managers Need to Go!
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 28, 2018
This high stress and emotionally burdening atmosphere is made worse by managers and principals of the schools that have no interest in collaboration and student support. The leadership does not communicate with their staff and rarely take teacher and E.A. suggestions seriously. Most of the leadership leads by fear and intimidation and don't care much about the staff and care even less about the students. There are a few marvelous principals who really should be promoted and supported.

The teachers, E.A.'s and students are awesome and really want what is best for the students!
Pros
free lunch, summers off, students, education staff
Cons
administrators, managers
Lack of therapy space
Behavioral Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 11, 2017
It was difficult finding space to have sessions when you work in schools. Most schools do not have dedicated therapy space and seemed too resent the inconvenience of finding a good space.

There appeared a preference for employees who work on campus.
Pros
flex schedule
Cons
high productivity
Great place for college kids to work...
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 26, 2017
Great benefits....opportunities for growth for eager, assertive young people right out of college. Older seasoned professionals are NOT valued or welcome here. I loved going to work everyday for many years. It was all good. Then it became about the strategic plan.
Pros
benefits, time off
Cons
Became a horse of a different color. No longer about the kids.
Great place for college age kids to work. That is the staff they are seeking.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 26, 2017
I loved my years there, team was like a family, our building ran like a well oiled machine, The kids were loved and they KNEW it. Staff members were always happy to go above & beyond. Staff was treated with dignity and respect always. Then the worm turned.and..well..read the other reviews...
Pros
Benefits & salary
Cons
Upper mgmt. got rid of entire group of older employees & replaced with young new folks.
Staff is fantastic!
PR, Communications and Marketing Manger (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 13, 2017
While the C-suite needs some help with interpersonal communications, the staff and other employees are first rate. There is a strategic plan in place but there is confusion about strategic actions needed. The job attitude changes daily.
Great culture, great training
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 9, 2017
The Children's Home was a private institution providing educational services to youth with emotional disabilities. Extensive paid training with fidelity to behavior model was invaluable. Enjoyed working there.
It was a great place to work
Behavioral Health Counselor/Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 24, 2017
Excellent place to work with a very supportive supervisor. Numerous trainings available for increased knowledge and advancement. Children's Home also provides good benefits.
Pros
Supportive co-workers and supervisors.
Cons
Sometimes caseload could be very high.
Great workplace.
Mental Health Counselor LISW and ODE (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 15, 2016
I loved working at the Childrens Home of Cincinnati. It was a great opportunity to work along with children and families and feeling that we made a difference in our community.

I enjoyed assisting families with the tools they needed to do parenting and assist their children in their development. At the school base job, I learned to collaborate effectively with school staff and achieve better outcomes for the children at the school level.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
in school offices are needed
Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 24, 2016
The Children's Home of Cincinnati is very receptive to the needs of their employees and are dedicated to enriching and improving lives of at risk youth and their families.
Safe Working environment for students
Lead Theraputic Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 26, 2016
A typical work day is busy with building relationships with kids. I learned that everyday is a new day regardless how tough your day has been. My co- workers and I have the same goal everyday of trying to change a students life. The hardest part of the job is when you have a student who maybe struggling in school because of issues outside of school. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching student succeed educational and graduating from school.
Pros
Eating lunch with students and building relationships
Cons
Not knowing more information about students life outside of school
Flexible supportive place to work
BHC therapist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 24, 2016
The Childrens Home is supportive and offers a Great benefit package. Working in childhood mental health can be difficult work but it's great knowing you have an agency that trusts you and supports you when you need it. Other agencies I have worked for had toxic work environments and a lot of micro managing but at Childrens Home you are trusted to be independent and supervisory staff are truly dedicated to being sure that you take care of yourself too. The agency is flexible with time schedules based on position and even offers ten month position options.
Pros
Flexibility, great benefits, supportive
Cons
Work with families can be difficult, navigating school environments
Be careful
Therapeutic Group Leader (TGL) (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 12, 2015
This place is not a great place to work at. I've seen a lot of my co workers get fired a lot of people get hurt by the kids there and really there is no security there. If you want to work with kids or in this field I recommend working somewhere else. It's not worth it. Trust me I work for many years and want my years back
Pros
Free lunches with kids lol
Cons
Dangerous and no job security
Great place to work!
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 28, 2015
I have been at the Children's Home for 1 year as a child and family mental health therapist. I could not be happier with my position or the agency I work for! I have worked for 3 other agencies in social work/ mental health and none can compare. Productivity is much more manageable and is even adjusted for the seasons and takes into consideration holidays. Staff are even given UR days to use when they take off or go to trainings so they are not accountable for productivity that day. Overall the agency is always asking for feedback from employees and uses he feedback to make positive changes. I feel appreciated and supported while given the independence to do my job.
Pros
Flexible schedule, positive work enviornment
Great opportunities
Mental Health Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 1, 2015
The Children's Home is a great agency to work for. Management is consistently trying to improve the employee experience by taking feedback from staff and making positive changes. Finding the right work/life balance is challenging when working in mental health, but the flexibility offered at the Children's Home helps keep things balanced. I've had many opportnities to develop my clinical skills while here.
Pros
Great co-workers, flexibility, constantly seeking improvement
kitchen Staff rude, treat you like one of the students
Good service worker (Former Employee) –  cincinnatiMarch 2, 2015
Ladies in the kitchen are rude. If you're not old like them, 60+, this Job is not fit for you! They talk to you like you are a student there. Too particular about small things that really have no relevance. Kids are very bad. Expect to get cussed out or see a fight, never a dull moment!
Pros
drive a golf cart lol
Cons
rude, outside in all weather
Great for Law Eforcement
Physical Education Instructor/Behavior Worker (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 22, 2014
Lots of time working. Could not find good people to work for me. Too many problems.
Pros
Loved law enforcement
Cons
Too many problems
Be Warned!
Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  CincinnatiOctober 12, 2014
If you are looking for long term stability and a good career based job make a U-TURN! This place does an excellent job of covering up what really goes on. This best thing about this place is the benefits and the CEO (she's always been cool). Most of the other upper management under CEO are power hungry and push their weight around to prove they can step on you whenever they want. If you are doing any direct care with clients here you will be treated decent at first (maybe for your first month), but then they will treat you like anything but a human being. They will hire a group of people just to fire them all when they are looking for a new class of people. The kids there are dangerous and out of control. Ask the local police how many times they have to come up there. Just about everyday! If that's not enough proof for you...well...good luck to you lol
Pros
Benefits and no weekend work
Cons
Upper management, pay, job security, culture
A normal day
Interim Behavior Support Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 15, 2014
A normal day at the children s home was working with students addressing behaviors and teaching them to deal with their issues by providing them with strategies to help them cope not only in school but in society
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Not feeling supported
Lead Educational Aide (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 11, 2014
Enjoyed my employment because the administration and staff communicated very well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Children's Home of Cincinnati. Our community is ready to answer.

The Children's Home of Cincinnati Reviews by Location