The Children's Institute Employee Reviews

supportive teams and cutting edge technology
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Verona, NJJuly 23, 2018
supportive teams of speech therapists, occupational and physical therapists and an assigned behaviorist. The atmosphere is clean and bright with many caring individuals wanting to help make a difference. In addition, they offer cutting edge technology to help enhance the educational experience.
Pros
supportive team and caring individuals
Cons
Often short staffed.
IT Daily Process
Technical Support Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 23, 2018
Most of the learning I got for my job was on my own. The people I worked with were awesome and would help you with anything. Management did not really understand the work processes needed nor how to develop a great work environment. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping those that that needed help and then seeing the smile on their face.
Pros
Other Employees
great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 24, 2018
I was a volunteer here...- I enjoyed my time, but can't speak in depth as to the culture. The children were treated superior, in my opinion and the staff was always friendly
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 12, 2018
The Children's Institute is a great place to work at. They are very supportive professionally and personally. They work with you to make it the best experience for everyone.
Great people
Rehabilitation Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Squirrel Hill, PADecember 29, 2017
Love the people I work with. Dislike the lack of rule following by and special privilege given to certain families. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the improvement of the patients as they go through their therapies. Hardest part of the job is feeling as if the rules only apply to certain people.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
short breaks
decent place to work, unfair wages
Permanency Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 6, 2018
lacks the ability to progress to a higher position. After putting in many overtime hours and completing all tasks, I was turned down for a promotion. Unfair wages, the work required by us is way too much for the amount of money we get paid.
Toxic environment for nurses
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 28, 2017
Nursing management team is absolutely horrible. Very unprofessional and unapproachable. The nurses have no one to go to with concerns. Seniority counts for nothing. Staffing is very unsafe, as they do not put patients first. On call administrators NEVER help with patient care. If there's a call off they will leave you on the unit by yourself. They do not value their employees. They have lost a huge number of amazing nurses with years and years of experience due to managerial bullying and poor decisions., which has led to the closing of a unit due to lack of staff. Sad to see what was once a wonderful place to work turn into "a nightmare on Shady Avenue".
Pros
The children
Cons
Poor and unprofessional management team
Fun workplace environment
INTERN & PRACTICUM STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 21, 2017
A typical day at work for me included leading sessions on a rehabilitation unit, planning for future sessions, and documenting on the sessions that had occurred.
Pediatric Nurse
Pediatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 23, 2017
Provide comprehensive and interdisciplinary treatment for pediatric patients with decreased function due to a spinal cord injury, brain injury, respiratory failure, orthopedic or musculoskeletal issues, neurologic dysfunction, traumatic amputations, burn, congenital disorders, transplant, functional feeding disorder, chronic pain and other diagnoses.
The lowest paying job I have had since graduating from college.
Healthcare Worker, Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 19, 2017
I love working with the students. But the pay is extremely low. It is impossible to make a living here as a single person. Also, the benefits have become worse over the years.
Great job that worked as a team
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Verona, NJAugust 29, 2017
I enjoyed the variety of cases I had as well as the ability to conduct individual, group and crisis intervention, I enjoyed working as part of a multidisciplinary team as well as working with the parents. I loved that each day was unpredictable.
Good benefits, bad working environment
Paraprofessional Aide (Former Employee) –  Verona, NJJuly 11, 2016
TCI has great benefits, work from 9am-3pm, and does provide training for you. However,the constant unprofessional work environment is not worth the benefits. Not only is the training not taken seriously (constant cancelations and very speedy training), but they also expect you to work moments during the day without pay.
Pros
Good benefits and good pay
Cons
unprofessional, no job security, little room to grow
Productive and Encouraging Work Environment
1:1 Aide (Current Employee) –  Verona, New JerseyMarch 5, 2015
At The Children's Institute, I implement academic and behavioral programs using the principles of ABA. I have also learned about the following: video modeling; pairing; reinforcement and punishment; token economies; response cost; Google; and a variety of other strategies and techniques. My co-workers and I all work together in a collaborative effort to answer questions, figure out programs, and ensure the success of the students.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment, encouraging and pleasant co-workers, nurturing environment, room for growth, numerous professional development opportunities
Cons
Salary
Permanency Specialist
Permanency Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 3, 2013
I typically conducted visitations with children and their birth parents, traveled to foster home and ensured the safety of the children, and completed different paperwork. I learned a lot about the PA foster care system and the needs for a broad range of services for children in foster care. I had wonderful co-workers and a great supervisor. The hardest part of the job was letting go of some of my children when they had to move to different homes or out of my agency's foster care all together. It was very rewarding though to see hose children grow and either be adopted, succeed in something in their life, or if appropriate return home.
Pros
amazing co workers, great incentives
Cons
no a lot of room to move up in the agency
A Wonderful place to work.
FCP Specialist/ Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 4, 2017
Great staff and a wonderful place to work. They also have an amazing benefits package. I Learned the value of giving back and that communication is extremely important with regard to having an effective and successful work environment.
Happy and Fun Environment
Patient Access Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 5, 2014
A typical work day involves making a significant difference in a patients life by processing authorizations for their therapy visits and inpatient stay with the insurance companies.
Pros
working with children, being a part of patients improvements
Cons
Flexible Hours
Loved working here
Student (Former Employee) –  Squirrel Hill, PAMay 27, 2017
This was a great learning experience for me since I had never worked with children with different disabilities besides my own. It was difficult to get at first, but I eventually found ways to adapt.
Pediatric Rehabilitation.
Team Leader/Pediatric Rehabilitation (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 23, 2014
Assisted in patient care with newly diagnosed spinal card injuries, both paraplegics anf quadroplegics. Provide emotional support to patients and families.
Preceptor and Charge Nurse.
Challenging, yet rewarding, work place
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PaApril 8, 2014
I have gained a plethora of knowledge from my colleagues and patients. The variety of patients helped shape my skills, both with the patients and with their families.
Challenging, but rewarding workplace
Physical Therapist - Pediatric Rehabilitation (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 21, 2014
Challenging, but rewarding workplace that provides autonomy in determining course of treatment.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Heavy caseload