The Children's Institute Employee Reviews

IT Daily Process
Technical Support Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 23, 2018
Most of the learning I got for my job was on my own. The people I worked with were awesome and would help you with anything. Management did not really understand the work processes needed nor how to develop a great work environment. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping those that that needed help and then seeing the smile on their face.
Pros
Other Employees
great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 24, 2018
I was a volunteer here...- I enjoyed my time, but can't speak in depth as to the culture. The children were treated superior, in my opinion and the staff was always friendly
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 12, 2018
The Children's Institute is a great place to work at. They are very supportive professionally and personally. They work with you to make it the best experience for everyone.
decent place to work, unfair wages
Permanency Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 6, 2018
lacks the ability to progress to a higher position. After putting in many overtime hours and completing all tasks, I was turned down for a promotion. Unfair wages, the work required by us is way too much for the amount of money we get paid.
Great people
Rehabilitation Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Squirrel Hill, PADecember 29, 2017
Love the people I work with. Dislike the lack of rule following by and special privilege given to certain families. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the improvement of the patients as they go through their therapies. Hardest part of the job is feeling as if the rules only apply to certain people.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
short breaks
Fun workplace environment
INTERN & PRACTICUM STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 21, 2017
A typical day at work for me included leading sessions on a rehabilitation unit, planning for future sessions, and documenting on the sessions that had occurred.
Toxic environment for nurses
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 28, 2017
Nursing management team is absolutely horrible. Very unprofessional and unapproachable. The nurses have no one to go to with concerns. Seniority counts for nothing. Staffing is very unsafe, as they do not put patients first. On call administrators NEVER help with patient care. If there's a call off they will leave you on the unit by yourself. They do not value their employees. They have lost a huge number of amazing nurses with years and years of experience due to managerial bullying and poor decisions., which has led to the closing of a unit due to lack of staff. Sad to see what was once a wonderful place to work turn into "a nightmare on Shady Avenue".
Pros
The children
Cons
Poor and unprofessional management team
The lowest paying job I have had since graduating from college.
Healthcare Worker, Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 19, 2017
I love working with the students. But the pay is extremely low. It is impossible to make a living here as a single person. Also, the benefits have become worse over the years.
Great job that worked as a team
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Verona, NJAugust 29, 2017
I enjoyed the variety of cases I had as well as the ability to conduct individual, group and crisis intervention, I enjoyed working as part of a multidisciplinary team as well as working with the parents. I loved that each day was unpredictable.
Loved working here
Student (Former Employee) –  Squirrel Hill, PAMay 27, 2017
This was a great learning experience for me since I had never worked with children with different disabilities besides my own. It was difficult to get at first, but I eventually found ways to adapt.
Pediatric Nurse
Pediatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 23, 2017
Provide comprehensive and interdisciplinary treatment for pediatric patients with decreased function due to a spinal cord injury, brain injury, respiratory failure, orthopedic or musculoskeletal issues, neurologic dysfunction, traumatic amputations, burn, congenital disorders, transplant, functional feeding disorder, chronic pain and other diagnoses.
A Wonderful place to work.
FCP Specialist/ Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 4, 2017
Great staff and a wonderful place to work. They also have an amazing benefits package. I Learned the value of giving back and that communication is extremely important with regard to having an effective and successful work environment.
Love the school
One on One Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Verona, NJDecember 19, 2016
The love and support given the students, parents and staff are amazing. It's a great place to work. Teacher's aids salaries could be higher..........
Personable Work Place
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 25, 2016
A great facility with a great mission and wonderful people to work with. Very personable relationship with employees as everyone knows everyone's name.
Good benefits, bad working environment
Paraprofessional Aide (Former Employee) –  Verona, NJJuly 11, 2016
TCI has great benefits, work from 9am-3pm, and does provide training for you. However,the constant unprofessional work environment is not worth the benefits. Not only is the training not taken seriously (constant cancelations and very speedy training), but they also expect you to work moments during the day without pay.
Pros
Good benefits and good pay
Cons
unprofessional, no job security, little room to grow
Great Learning Experience
One to One Aide (Former Employee) –  Verona, NJAugust 2, 2015
I learned a great deal about ABA and how to implement the methods correctly. The other employees are great and very supportive.
Positive atmosphere
Health Care Worker/CNA (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 13, 2015
This place has an overall positive atmosphere and I have seen wonderful outcomes from patients. It it a great learning experience.
Productive and Encouraging Work Environment
1:1 Aide (Current Employee) –  Verona, New JerseyMarch 5, 2015
At The Children's Institute, I implement academic and behavioral programs using the principles of ABA. I have also learned about the following: video modeling; pairing; reinforcement and punishment; token economies; response cost; Google; and a variety of other strategies and techniques. My co-workers and I all work together in a collaborative effort to answer questions, figure out programs, and ensure the success of the students.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment, encouraging and pleasant co-workers, nurturing environment, room for growth, numerous professional development opportunities
Cons
Salary
Pediatric Rehabilitation.
Team Leader/Pediatric Rehabilitation (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 23, 2014
Assisted in patient care with newly diagnosed spinal card injuries, both paraplegics anf quadroplegics. Provide emotional support to patients and families.
Preceptor and Charge Nurse.
Challenging, but rewarding workplace
Physical Therapist - Pediatric Rehabilitation (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 21, 2014
Challenging, but rewarding workplace that provides autonomy in determining course of treatment.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Heavy caseload