The Children's Museum of Indianapolis

The Children's Museum of Indianapolis Employee Reviews

Depending on the department you are in it could be a lot of fun. Interpretation and security are a lot of fun. If you are in the IT department you will be set with an amazing gig. HR and finance have a lot on their plates it's a lot of work for them. The place is like its own town with all kinds of jobs. Down side is unless you have a master's you won't move up the food chain.
Pros
It's a great place to be.
Cons
You pay for lunch in the food court, it is at a discount. If your department is not making money you run the risk of being cut.
What makes this the best children's museum in the world are the people. Most of the exec team, middle management and frontline staff are the best. Truly amazing, inspiring people. Until Covid, we had budgets to do what many museums couldn't dream of doing. Unfortunately, the CEO is an insecure micromanaging bully who must personally dictate every aspect of every project. He hires the best people, and then won't let them do their jobs, because he has to tell them how wrong they are, and how poor their judgement is. We have lost many talented people who just have had enough. We succeed in spite of our leadership, not because of it.
Pros
Environment, coworkers, budgets (prior to Covid), benefits
Cons
President's bullying, misogynistic, micromanaging style.
The Children's Museum is an amazing place to work, but there are practically no opportunities for advancement which was ultimately why I tendered my resignation.
Pros
Great work environment, amazing supervisors and co-workers
Cons
It's very difficult to get full-time work, the administration feels very disconnected from day to day operations, some of their policies make what would be simple processes much more cumbersome, a lot of time/money/resources are wasted over trivial events/props.
The Children's Museum of Indianapolis is a great place to work. The environment is very fun and upbeat, and you get to work with children and see their unique perspectives on the world around them. The staff enjoy what we do, and pack the days with as much fun as possible.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
I have worked at The Museum since 2012 in the capacity of a contract specialty painter. I provide decorative and faux finishes as part of the production team bringing new exhibits to life, restoring existing and traveling exhibits, and also general facilities paint surface maintenance. I have been very impressed with the high quality of working conditions in every department.
My typical day at work is logging into the computer for my shift. Go to the Lilly Theater and make sure the theater is nice and clean before the show. Pass out programs before the show when guests and visitors are getting ready to sit down. Clean the theater after the show.
My typical day at the The Children's Museum is full of leadership and adaptation. I am doing something different every 30 minutes, and there is no such thing as a boring day at work. I get the opportunity to work with passionate employees who share my love of teaching and performing. There isn't a single job out there quite like working at a children's museum.
I worked there for six years and sometimes I couldn’t believe I was getting paid to have that much fun. The benefits are very generous as well as PTO.
Enjoy working here, but currently not in a full-time position. Looking for full-time position with benefits. Friendly environment, and flexible work schedules.
Pros
Uniform provided, flexible hours, friendly environment
Cons
Seasonal/Temporary position with no benefits
I worked in Visitor Services/Security which deals with first impressions with guests to the museum. My responsibilities included: greeting guests at the parking garage, crossing guard, welcome center greeter, security desk (checking in business guests and contractors), coat check, entry gates (taking tickets), ticket booth for live children's theater, and carousel operator. There were also some seasonal positions within the job including being a ticket taker for the haunted house during Halloween, and working on the giant "Yule Slide" during Christmastime. Employees in VS rotate positions every two hours, so you won't get bored standing around in one post all day. I worked part time at the museum, but because we were almost always short staffed, I got maximum hours (which was pretty much almost full time). Sometimes we were asked to work early mornings to open the security posts, or late at night during special events (weddings, company parties, proms, etc.) Since I left, they have added a new outdoor sports park, so I'm not sure how that has changed the job description, though I know it has widened the range of posts you can work in a day.
Pros
Great co-workers, cheerful environment, fun guest interaction
Cons
sometimes early or late hours
Second shift usually has a few choices of where my first post will be. Posts are usually two hours long but there has been some experimenting with one hour posts.
Am amazing place to work, as long as it's full time. It's a unique environment with good benefits. Hours are wonky and the bulk of the floor staff is part time. The administrative and creative offices are a tight knit group that tend to promote from within. The operations and floor departments have very high turnover and almost always go with an outside hire who has Disney connections.
Pros
Fun environment. Attracts high caliber employees.
Cons
wonky hours. lack of promotion from within.
Great people to work with, the staff are absolutely great. Occasionally tension between managers of different positions, but there was much opportunity to become friends with everyone. The weather when working outside can become extremely grueling, and it is difficult to receive breaks due to the extreme amounts of people at times. The kids are great to work with, programs are fun to run, and there are learning opportunities. If a full-time worker, there are extreme amounts of benefits, but if not, you don't get much of anything. Great job for right out of college or good summer job for college students.
At a certain location inside the Children's Museum of Indianapolis, we all started our days with important announcements, from school groups coming over to visit, to group activities for the staff and important news about what's to happen inside or outside the museum. After the announcements, we all leave the area to gather the items required for our areas and set everything up with our fellow staff members, making sure everything is in working order. In my area, I have learned how to manage my position when visitors are around, such as keeping things clean and in shape to prevent any of it from breaking or going missing. The management was very kind and helpful for me and anyone else around, should a situation erupt or if I had a question to ask. Should any superior not be around, I was given the option to use a walkie talkie and request assistance. I enjoyed working at the museum because the museum itself served as a part of my childhood, and working there made it a much greater experience, like a once in a lifetime opportunity. From the sights, the people and the idea of working at the world's biggest and best children's museum was all I could have hoped for. Of course, being at such an amazing place did have it's difficulties. Sometimes the young visitors were hard to keep from running around and getting lost, hosting a program and keeping everyone's attention throughout it was a bit of a challenge, depending on what I was hosting, but the hardest part was trying to memorize the entire script for a 15-20 minute long show. I wasn't able to go up and speak while memorizing - more...
Pros
The whole experience
Cons
slightly long drive to work, having a temporary position
Wonderful and fulling place to work, great staff and training. Flexible hours and work schedule. Management easy to get along with and willing to step in and help.
The Museum is great. Everyone that works there is amazing. Working there keeps you on your toes. You learn so much about the galleries as well as educating families. But, there is not much in the way of upward growth, getting promoted is very difficult.
Daily jobs could become monotonous but most internships can. VERY impressed with managerial staff and bosses. The environment was fast-paced but manageable, I was rarely bored but also not frequently stressed. Had the opportunity to tailor my internship to my needs, which is not always possible. Overall very positive experience!
Loved working here! Wished I could have stayed but I had to relocate. Fun co-workers, fun projects, and just an overall great place to work for those who love creating, teaching, and building memories for guests.
Pros
Food court inside, parking garage, great benefits, and wonderful co-workers
Cons
Lots of work to do in small amount of time
All of the people are amazing and I would go back to working there in a heartbeat!!! My managers were understanding and caring, and all the people wanted to improve the museum on a daily basis.
Fun place to work with great employees. Nice clean environment with uniforms provided. Paid time off and great benfits. . nice food court with lots of selections for meals.
Led a group of engineers in the modeling and construction of a wind turbine that was built and delivered to The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, its purpose being to teach children how wind energy is used to power homes. Substantial involvement with computer graphing systems and fabrication machinery at the Artisan Fabrication Laboratory in Purdue (certified).