The Childrens Home of Reading Employee Reviews

productive, fast pace at times, possibly be stressful
Youth Behavioral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAJanuary 5, 2018
Typical day consists of working with adolescents who struggle with a trauma, abuse or neglect along with a mental health disorder. Everyday is a little different because it goes according to the clients behaviors. Restraints do happen if client is being physically aggressive towards others or self harming. Hardest part of my job would be that you do not get many raises, or recognition for your hard work if you are at the bottom or in other words...work directly with clients on the floor (which is the most important part of the job).
The most enjoyable part has been the rapports Ive build, and changes Ive helped make with some clients. Very few recognize that you are there to help them and those very few clients are the ones who reboot your energy for another work day.
Pros
Helping our Youth
Cons
Not enough pay, Work load is added on with no raise or pay to match, Poor communication throughout the company
Chor
Youth Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 7, 2018
Unorganized and unprofessional. Would not recommend. Safety of staff was not important to management who did not work on the floor. Showed a lot of favoritism and seniority. Rarely worked with staff to take into consideration outside lives.
Poor Leadership
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 10, 2018
Children's Home of Reading has poor leadership and as a result staff turn over. I am working there currently, have been for 8 years. The is extremely poor communication from the top down in management which has a negative effect on the company climate as a whole. Because of this there have been at least 25 quality employees leave in my 8 year tenure at this company. Also, the pay is absolutely deplorable. You can go to Target and make more per hour. As an employee for this company you work neglected youth, emotional/behavioral issues, mental health issues. A typical work shift could mean getting hit, spit on, cursed at, etc. The lack of support from management is not acceptable and quite disturbing.
On a positive note, working for this company I have been exposed to a variety of cultures which has been a great experience.
Pros
Free food, plenty of overtime
Cons
No breaks, poor pay
Worst Job I (and others) Have Ever Had
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAOctober 29, 2016
This was hands down the worst job I've ever had and worst company I have ever worked for. Everything is shady here. The company is so unreliable that many coworkers and I always were nervous we might not get paid the next payday. Job was way too stressful, absolutely no work life balance, and management was horrible. No structure, organization, or fairness. Office building is old, run down, and disgustingly dirty. CHOR has a bad reputation and when interviewing for other jobs, employers have made remarks to me about it. Don't waste you're time here. Staff was constantly resigning.
Pros
Cons
Work life balance, compensation, dirty work environment, management
Horrible Adminstration and staff that do not work as a team
Youth Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 1, 2012
If you do not like being forced to work mandatory overtime all the time then you will not like this place. They will tell you it happens occasionally this is a lie. The staff currently working there all about themselves and their well being they do not care about the clients or the staff. Adminstration is blind and does not know anything about what goes on inside thier own company and how horrible it is. The HR department likes to play GOD and they do it very badly.
Pros
the clients and the feeling of accomplishment when they complete the program
Cons
everything, staff, adminstration, no raises, can not advance, and no sanctuary
Rewarding job
foster care casemanager (Current Employee) –  reading, paAugust 11, 2015
Being a casemanager for foster care is a very rewarding job. Helping the children move to better and safer home's is extremely rewarding. A typical day at work would be attending meetings, driving to resource home visits, filling out paper work, and supervising visits. Every day can be different. Also, attending court. Unfortunately the amount of paper work is difficult to complete with the amount of clients that are given to each casemanager. It is difficult to manage time between paper work, home visits, supervised visit, and also attending meetings and court. There are not enough hours in the day to complete all these tasks and make the deadlines.
Pros
too many clients and not enough time.
Cons
Health benefits and making your own schedule.
Fast paced , stressful but highly rewarding
Youth Behvioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAApril 2, 2018
I loved working with the kids at CHOR.... I also meant wonderful other employees who I worked with at CHOR. This job challenges you...in area of your life!! Its demanding...stressful...fast paced but highly rewarding. The relationships you build with the kids last forever. Working at CHOR is also mentally, physically, and emotionally tiring!!
Pros
They served you breakfast..lunch and dinner...
Cons
Dont understand that you have your own family ...
Safety issues, poor pay and poor administration
Youth Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Reading, PADecember 27, 2017
For an agency who's purpose is to serve underprivileged youth or youth with behavioral and mental health needs, all it cares about is the money racked in by these children's insurance companies. Staff are often placed in dangerous and threatening situations and administration did little to protect the staff, as well as the other clients from each other. Unless you are a truly passionate and caring person who works well under poor adminstration, absurd rules, very low pay (especially for the type of work being done) and is willing to risk their overall well being to help these poor children,(adolescents, actually) then this is the job for you.

Otherwise, keep scrolling.
Pros
The satisfaction of potentially making an impact on a child in need's life.
Cons
Lack of safety structure or comraderie amongst one and their coworkers. Oh, and bed bugs.
Shady management and staff
Youth Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJuly 27, 2016
CHOR has a shady way of running their facility. There is a lot of drama between the staff members and some of the clients. The staff tends to not follow the rules and do whatever they want to and then not have good rapport/teamwork with their fellow coworkers. This then leads to a lot of fighting on the floor and no teamwork. It is a very physical and mentally draining job. sometimes you can work up to 80 hours a week.
Pros
helping underprivileged youths
Cons
management, lack of teamwork, physically and mentally stressful
The Children's Home of Reading
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJuly 17, 2012
I loved working for The Children's Home of Reading and still to this day it was the most rewarding position I had. I loved how all of the departments worked well together in terms of Marketing & Design. My Supervisor was extremely supportive and encouraged growth. If I could go back to The Children's Home of Reading, I would without a doubt.
The only negative thing was the pay rate, but this is a non-profit organization and more times than not it is important to be happy where you work. Eight hours per day is a long time to spend not being happy.
Pros
friendly environment, hard working employees, dedicated employees, relaxed atmosphere, family friendly, great mission
Working with males with issues typically under 18 years old
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAOctober 30, 2014
Due to the sensitive nature of the programs facilitated at CHOR, I can't really go into too much detail. It was a great place to work in as far as working 1 on 1 with the clients and feeling that reward when they achieved something or got past a particular obstacle in life . Its a very involved job which at times could be emotionally and physically draining. I learned alot of patience, listening skills, appropriate feed back and how to be direct and assertive. Co-workers typically worked well together, but in that setting a person must count on others to have their backs. Hardest part of the job was having to do physical restraints, period. Just seeing the clients leave on a good note, and not a bad one.
Pros
Excellent health care coverage for only $0.50 per pay, Good pay, Ability to "switch" days with other co-workers if they wanted to do so, Abundance of overtime available
Cons
No breaks or lunch breaks. Possibility that you could get mandated to work a double shift.
CHOR review
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAApril 20, 2017
While employed at CHOR, I gained a great deal of experience in the juvenile group home settings. Some of my daily duties included being a shift leader, medication distributer, transportation of clients to doctor apts, and off unit activities.
Pros
experience in working with juveniles who are in placement.
Cons
being mandated at the last minute

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Childrens Home of Reading. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5