The Cincinnati Insurance Companies

The Cincinnati Insurance Companies Employee Reviews

The Cincinnati Insurance Companies insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Overall satisfaction
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Flexible and Great Environment

Great environment and friendly people. Time off is flexible and very generous even when starting out. Compensation is lacking though, and there is very little review process with management.

Many opportunities

This is an excellent company to work for. There are many opportunities for advancement there. The upper management makes good decisions and the culture is a nice one.

Pros

Educational opportunities

Cons

Pay slightly low

Stable and secure company

Great environment to learn and grow in order not to become bored or complacent. While there may be a few bad managers, overall everyone is collaborative and helpful to one another. The company is growing and new positions are being created. Still hiring, even during a pandemic.

Pros

Opportunities for growth

Cons

Not consistent on remote work

Horrible management and bad salary

Workplace culture is ok. Management has no technical experience what so ever. Software developers are treated like factory workers (where being there exactly 8 hours is valued way over performance and accomplishments).

Supportive office environment

Very supportive environment from co-workers and managers. Hours are somewhat flexible and plenty of opportunities for advancement. Strong relationships between departments.

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

One of the best places to work so far.

Customers from Field Reps and Adjusters to Internal Users, they all are wonderful people. Managers and co-workers, as well as other associates in the company are easy to work with. Overall rating is 10/10. Have a great day!

Horrible place to work, learn

I feel the job was misrepresented, at the time of hiring. Never met the "Hiring Manager," prior to being hired. Workplace culture horrible., inflexible, Adjuster's with longer periods of work history were given vacation preferences.. Terrible place to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They only care about numbers

I started there in 1983. At that time I would tell anyone to apply there, they cared about the employees and had a strong sense of family. I felt proud to work there. Fast forward to 2001, our founder passed away. They took everything that was family oriented away, it suddenly became a numbers game. Seniority did not matter anymore.

Mostly great

Average benefits, and very old school. However, the company is very family oriented which is a huge plus. Pay is within thre expected range, but low in comparison to other companies.

Great values - The Golden Rule

While the company has a great mission statement and values, and home office management is approachable, the training was not practical nor efficient. The necessity to spend multiple weeks in home office was difficult. Also, the claims management system software is lacking in efficiency. The claims volume is overwhelming in the region I worked but heard it wasn't as bad in other regions/states. Being a multi-line adjuster along with handling the high volume of pending files can be very stressful for most people. The ability to work from home is a plus for those who work well independently. This is a very independent job with supervisor interaction as little or as much is needed. The compensation is low for what is required.

Jobs at The Cincinnati Insurance Companies

See more jobs

Company is not what it used to be...

This used to be a really nice company to work for. Then, new management moved in following a retirement and everything changed. They hired a multitude of middle managers to micromanage our work. No longer do I feel ownership of my claim files. Middle managers are stressed to the max which has a trickle down effect— all we hear is what we are doing wrong and rarely do they reflect on the good things.

Don't walk away, RUN!

Required to be an expert in auto estimating, property estimating, liability investigation, bodily injury, litigation, construction defects, etc. Staffed to the bare bones. Necessary to work long hours with no over time pay. Common for people to work weekends and vacation.

Pros

work from home

Cons

heavy workload, very stressful, unreasonable expectations

Experience at CIC

Each day was multi tasking between customer service, writing new programs and testing them, enhancing existing programs and testing and assisting other team members as they needed it. Cross training was emphasized so that all members of the team were able to back up during heavy working times. The hardest part of the job was being on call for daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi annual and year end processing. There were times where working 36 hours did occur. The most enjoyable was training other members of the team in the areas of my expertise so that they understood and excelled in the new areas of work responsibility.

Pros

Soup and salad were free in the early years at this employeer

Cons

The pager

Productive place to work

Typical day at work can include multi-tasking, fast paced able to switch tasks as needed. I have learned information about the insurance industry, how to utilize excel spreadsheets. Management for some departments could use a refreshing new look.

Pros

lunch discount, and yearly bonuses

Cons

health care costs

Micro-Managers and Managers managing Managers

If you are lucky to get into a department within the company that doesn't have excessive managers, all with different management styles, you may have a long and secure career. However, promotions and advancements may not occur and you may find yourself in a dead-end job that you have been working for 10+ years - with merit based raises and a merit based annual bonus in March/April; possibly a 3% annual increase in your salary. If you get in IT, you will find there are managers that manage managers and many will have a different management-style. There are managers for service, for projects, and managers for personal / resource issues -- many are not on the same page. All of these managers role up to a director or department head. Navigating the culture at this company will be the biggest challenge. It is a VERY conservative company - although they brag that they are open to new ideas and forward-thinking, they are very much stuck in the past and do not embrace change; unless it somehow makes the company money.

Pros

They match 401K contributions by 6%

Cons

Free lunches are gone. Too many managers. BEWARE of the micro-managers!

i was only an intern

i was only an intern, BUT, i had a strong relationship with my co-workers. they all seemed happy, everyone was friendly and helpful. i would have stayed but i did not qualify for immediate rehire.

Pros

everything

Cons

typical "9-5"

Not a team friendly envirement.

Not a team friendly envirement. Management don't treat you fairly, only select few. I can only talk about my division i was in fir 17 years. Alot of Sunday hours expected as well.

Pros

n/a

Cons

n/a

Depends on What You Want

Micromanaging styles, crabs in a bucket environment, lack of communication on important items, lack of training and not very diverse. Benefits are okay but not the best. No moral compass and will terminate you for the smallest fraction. Not much advancement nor career improvement paths. If you're looking for a job to work and retire from then this is the place for you. But if you're looking for advancement and greater opportunities, this isn't the place. Your co-worker may be the child of your manager and their spouse is in the next department over. While the grandparents are either still in the mailroom or an agent. Oh, and the "free" stipend still comes out of your check...smh

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Poor management and HR department

A great place to work.

I will never forget the short time I spent at CIC. I met the most wonderful workers, learned skills that I'll never forget, and grew as a person. I knew when I had any question that I could ask anyone and get an answer without judgement. I knew that I had my team behind me wheneber I needed help, especially on some unique tickets.

Great place to work at if you want something traditional

This is a company where you can do your typical 9-5 job, and have time to enjoy yourself outside of it. It has a learning department for classes to help you improve on a skill or learn anything new. The people are nice and never had a issue with management.

No training provided

Multi-line Adjuster- paid one salary for the job of 6 different types of adjuster roles. This is not typical with other carriers, they normally have a separate unit for auto, property, commercial, subrogation and worker's comp claims. This company made us stay one week at their HQ, they had us meet with each department head and took us out to lunch which was nice, but they should have spent time training us on their claims software system instead. We worked remotely from home without any training and had to self teach for auto, worker's comp, commercial claims and bodily injury claims. Low pay, low raises even if you meet or exceed your goals.

Pros

some benefits, remote work

Cons

claim load, no training provided, low raises, poor manager-high turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cincinnati Insurance Companies. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
2.5Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight