The Cincinnati Insurance Companies

The Cincinnati Insurance Companies Employee Reviews

United States48 reviews
Very supportive environment from co-workers and managers. Hours are somewhat flexible and plenty of opportunities for advancement. Strong relationships between departments.
Customers from Field Reps and Adjusters to Internal Users, they all are wonderful people. Managers and co-workers, as well as other associates in the company are easy to work with. Overall rating is 10/10. Have a great day!
I feel the job was misrepresented, at the time of hiring. Never met the "Hiring Manager," prior to being hired. Workplace culture horrible., inflexible, Adjuster's with longer periods of work history were given vacation preferences.. Terrible place to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I started there in 1983. At that time I would tell anyone to apply there, they cared about the employees and had a strong sense of family. I felt proud to work there. Fast forward to 2001, our founder passed away. They took everything that was family oriented away, it suddenly became a numbers game. Seniority did not matter anymore.
Average benefits, and very old school. However, the company is very family oriented which is a huge plus. Pay is within thre expected range, but low in comparison to other companies.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
While the company has a great mission statement and values, and home office management is approachable, the training was not practical nor efficient. The necessity to spend multiple weeks in home office was difficult. Also, the claims management system software is lacking in efficiency. The claims volume is overwhelming in the region I worked but heard it wasn't as bad in other regions/states. Being a multi-line adjuster along with handling the high volume of pending files can be very stressful for most people. The ability to work from home is a plus for those who work well independently. This is a very independent job with supervisor interaction as little or as much is needed. The compensation is low for what is required.
This used to be a really nice company to work for. Then, new management moved in following a retirement and everything changed. They hired a multitude of middle managers to micromanage our work. No longer do I feel ownership of my claim files. Middle managers are stressed to the max which has a trickle down effect— all we hear is what we are doing wrong and rarely do they reflect on the good things.
Required to be an expert in auto estimating, property estimating, liability investigation, bodily injury, litigation, construction defects, etc. Staffed to the bare bones. Necessary to work long hours with no over time pay. Common for people to work weekends and vacation.
Pros
work from home
Cons
heavy workload, very stressful, unreasonable expectations
Each day was multi tasking between customer service, writing new programs and testing them, enhancing existing programs and testing and assisting other team members as they needed it. Cross training was emphasized so that all members of the team were able to back up during heavy working times. The hardest part of the job was being on call for daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi annual and year end processing. There were times where working 36 hours did occur. The most enjoyable was training other members of the team in the areas of my expertise so that they understood and excelled in the new areas of work responsibility.
Pros
Soup and salad were free in the early years at this employeer
Cons
The pager
Typical day at work can include multi-tasking, fast paced able to switch tasks as needed. I have learned information about the insurance industry, how to utilize excel spreadsheets. Management for some departments could use a refreshing new look.
Pros
lunch discount, and yearly bonuses
Cons
health care costs
If you are lucky to get into a department within the company that doesn't have excessive managers, all with different management styles, you may have a long and secure career. However, promotions and advancements may not occur and you may find yourself in a dead-end job that you have been working for 10+ years - with merit based raises and a merit based annual bonus in March/April; possibly a 3% annual increase in your salary. If you get in IT, you will find there are managers that manage managers and many will have a different management-style. There are managers for service, for projects, and managers for personal / resource issues -- many are not on the same page. All of these managers role up to a director or department head. Navigating the culture at this company will be the biggest challenge. It is a VERY conservative company - although they brag that they are open to new ideas and forward-thinking, they are very much stuck in the past and do not embrace change; unless it somehow makes the company money.
Pros
They match 401K contributions by 6%
Cons
Free lunches are gone. Too many managers. BEWARE of the micro-managers!
i was only an intern, BUT, i had a strong relationship with my co-workers. they all seemed happy, everyone was friendly and helpful. i would have stayed but i did not qualify for immediate rehire.
Pros
everything
Cons
typical "9-5"
Not a team friendly envirement. Management don't treat you fairly, only select few. I can only talk about my division i was in fir 17 years. Alot of Sunday hours expected as well.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Micromanaging styles, crabs in a bucket environment, lack of communication on important items, lack of training and not very diverse. Benefits are okay but not the best. No moral compass and will terminate you for the smallest fraction. Not much advancement nor career improvement paths. If you're looking for a job to work and retire from then this is the place for you. But if you're looking for advancement and greater opportunities, this isn't the place. Your co-worker may be the child of your manager and their spouse is in the next department over. While the grandparents are either still in the mailroom or an agent. Oh, and the "free" stipend still comes out of your check...smh
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor management and HR department
I will never forget the short time I spent at CIC. I met the most wonderful workers, learned skills that I'll never forget, and grew as a person. I knew when I had any question that I could ask anyone and get an answer without judgement. I knew that I had my team behind me wheneber I needed help, especially on some unique tickets.
This is a company where you can do your typical 9-5 job, and have time to enjoy yourself outside of it. It has a learning department for classes to help you improve on a skill or learn anything new. The people are nice and never had a issue with management.
Multi-line Adjuster- paid one salary for the job of 6 different types of adjuster roles. This is not typical with other carriers, they normally have a separate unit for auto, property, commercial, subrogation and worker's comp claims.

This company made us stay one week at their HQ, they had us meet with each department head and took us out to lunch which was nice, but they should have spent time training us on their claims software system instead.

We worked remotely from home without any training and had to self teach for auto, worker's comp, commercial claims and bodily injury claims.

Low pay, low raises even if you meet or exceed your goals.
Pros
some benefits, remote work
Cons
claim load, no training provided, low raises, poor manager-high turnover
Nice, stable company to work for. Good benefits and culture. Upper Management is accessible and listens to feedback. Learn a lot about the insurance industry.
I hated working here. This place still uses type writer's. Not a lot of diversity. This place is boring, very old school like the movie Gone with the wind!
Pros
Cons
short breaks, micromanaging
Overall a fair place to work, good benefits and fair compensation. Room for advancement if you you desire, but it is a demanding work place and hours can be grueling.
I enjoyed my time here. It was really relaxed. At work, I was given a task to complete, and when I finished it, I was given another, and I just kept at it.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cincinnati Insurance Companies. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
The Cincinnati Insurance Companies Reviews by Location