The College Board Employee Reviews

Room for improvement with management
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2019
Cons: In some departments, there is lots of reorganization (almost every other year) which leads to employee turnover. Management doesn't seem to be on the same page as employees, and make top-down decisions that not everyone would agree with.
Pros: work/life balance, benefits, meaningful work, people care for the most part about the work and the mission, lots of great people
Productive Workplace
ITEM WRITER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2019
Great place to work and scheduling was effective and humane. I worked as an independent contractor and therefore can not speak adequately to the opportunities or programs and services they offer their employees.
Great professional development
Advanced Placement Reader (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 3, 2019
I teach an AP class so going to the College Board AP reading was very helpful with strategies for my AP class. I was also able to network and meet other teachers nationwide.
Poorly managed organization
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2019
This company is perfect for people that do not want to advance in their careers and do not want to grow. Approaches in this organization are archaic and input is not welcomed at all.
Excellent professional development
Reader (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 22, 2018
It is a pleasure to take the time over the summer to work for college board. I love the environment and enjoy spending my summers doing this job. You are able to collaborate with teachers and professors from all over the world.
Pros
to travel to Salt Lake City and enjoy the offers of this beautiful city
Temporary Position for a Month
Field Test Scorer (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IANovember 11, 2018
I don't feel like I can say too many definitive things about the College Board since I was a temporary employee for a month. The people I worked with were very friendly and helpful. We had a great location to work at and the environment was very positive.
Fun remote work, but steep learning curve
Passage Scout (Current Employee) –  RemoteNovember 5, 2018
I enjoy working for College Board very much, but after nearly a year of working as a contract worker, I am still not sure I have the hang of it. I am willing to keep trying, though, as everyone is very professional and nice.
Can be good depending on which department you are in
Senior Director Program Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2018
I have enjoyed working here until the last year. Our team has been put under new management under which we are micromanaged and where rigid processes and tool use are creating frustration and anxiety for our team. Our team can no longer support our stakeholders and end users as they need to be supported. Worse, our team has moved out of alignment with the rest of College Board, which is in the middle of implementing Agile across the organization. I fear that the group I work in will become obstructive at best or obsolete at worst as the rest of our organization becomes more agile and we move backward into top down, command and control management of the work our team supports.
Pros
Incredible mission, Excellent retirement benefits, great healthcare benefits, everyone gets 4 weeks of PTO
Cons
Key departments are not embracing Agile—only paying lip service to it
Toxic Place to Work Unless You are Brought in by Management
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2018
There was no typical day at work -- not until I left did I realize how toxic the environment was because I felt like a living, breathing human being again. You are constantly micro-managed and the word gaslighting comes to mind via my direct report. The culture is TOXIC. I learned my self worth was a lot more important than how I was treated. They do however, specialize in blindsiding workers. CEO is never there so I can't reflect on him other than he has a huge ego. I've never worked with such "privileged" people in my life.
Pros
None, really.
Cons
Environment and hours expected of you.
Toxic Work Environment
Junior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2018
There's hardly any balance between work and life. Basically, they expect your colleagues becoming your family. Literally your life is tie to them 24/7. It's a bit too much. Also, many mangers are micromanaging. It can be suffocating. The only perk is the tuition reimbursement policy, however, it's not that straightforward or easy to get it.
Great if you want to play the political advancement game
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2018
Mission-driven organization that occasionally performs good, impactful work yet motivated by internal political agenda. Advancement is only available to those willing to manipulate and self-promote, often at the detriment of its actual mission to help students. White savior crisis to the extreme with several well-meaning white people in positions of power, hyper-focused on advancing low-income people of color within our educational institutions, but not within its own organization.
Pros
Competitive base salary, some intelligent colleagues, generous vacation policy
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities, nepotism, extremely poor management
Positive Environment with Smart Friendly Colleagues
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2018
A low-stress environment that provides the opportunity to work with brilliant people who are passionate about the organization's mission of helping students get to college.
Pros
Friendly environment, great benefits
Cons
Low salary, a lot of bureaucracy
temp job
Test Proctor (Former Employee) –  College Park, GAAugust 14, 2018
This was just a short term temp position, not much to say about it. Fair pay, boring job. Easy, good hours. Random assignments, not enough work to live on
Pros
good pay
Cons
boring
Clear sense of mission
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2018
The College Board is a mission oriented organization. That mission is to level the playing field of education in this country. While lofty, the Board does have the resources and influence to actually make it happen.
Private Contractor
Assessment Writer (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 6, 2018
As a private contractor for College Board, I really enjoyed both the work and the communication between my supervisor and our team. I have no complaints.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 3, 2018
Great environment with amazing coworkers. Everyone is very open and friendly. Communication between departments is slowly getting better than when I first started. Benefits are the best!
Pros
Lots of fun events
Cons
Advancement
Good work environment
Sr QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 19, 2018
College board is one of the best companies that i worked so far. They respect employees and give more freedom. There is no discrimation among the employees.
Decent place to work with management issues
Senior Database Solutions Architect Consultant (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 18, 2018
Good technology, good access to tools, but questionable management direction and less than market pay makes this tough unless you're committed to the cause for the long term so as to take advantage of benefits.
Benefits
Cons
pay
indeed
HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 5, 2018
and placing interns; communicating with sponsoring managers, coordinating summer socials and following-up to ensure a successful experience for both the intern and the sponsoring department.
· Manages the full on-boarding process for employees. This includes working with managers to ensure that all necessary paperwork and on-line forms are completed in a timely manner, providing and coordinating initial benefits orientation for staff, assisting with online benefits enrollment processes, and ensuring all required employee information is accurately provided to headquarters and appropriate files are maintained locally.
· Assist the HR Department with key projects that address and support efficient business practices and promote employee morale.
· Work with recruiting team members to
Great Company
Director of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAMay 30, 2018
This is a great company... they truly believe in the mission statement. I highly recommend working here. A place where you can grow at a personal and professional level.