The Container Store Employee Reviews

Core Values
S.F., Visual Merchandising and Sales (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 18, 2018
Working here can be stressful but so fun and always moving. I can't recall a day when I was bored or the day was "long" until my shift ended an I finally slowed down to feel my "tired" wash over me.
Pros
Great Training; Wonderful and diverse staff
Cons
Sometimes felt like too many "hands in the kitchen"
Great Place To Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 13, 2018
Management was always understanding with situations and willing to give more hours. Everyone always had a positive attitude and strong work ethic. Co-workers are always willing to provide help whenever possible and treat each other like family.
Pros
Great people, Friendly work environment
Cons
Less than average benefits
Great and funny work place
Packing (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXApril 12, 2018
Good work environment profecional, friendly and devertido. It was a good experience where I could learn new skills in different jobs, coworkers are always willing to collaborate and work as a team.
Lack of Advancemenent and Opportunity
Sales & Elfa Designer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 11, 2018
I worked here with promises of advancement, but was unable to ever see this take place. I worked myself to learn various aspects and be able to do all roles there, but it was impossible to get a full time position, i got my hours by picking up shifts
excellent team environment
Sales and Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 9, 2018
once you work for this retailer, you will not want to work for any other. great management, co-workers and variety of tasks. ability to transfer around the country. part-time benefits.
Great culture that supports employees.
Part Time Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 2, 2018
A typical day for me was working the lead cash register for 8 hours. This can be stressful because you're responsible for watching to see that few customers are waiting in line as well as watching for shoplifters. When traffic is slow, you can be on the floor assisting customers as well as fronting and restocking merchandise. If you have afternoon/evening shift, you clean and mop the employee lounge and the bathrooms. If morning shift, you dust and vacuum the store. If incoming trucks are scheduled, you come in at 4am to unload merchandise and stock the shelves. You're busy all the time.
The good news is that there is great employee recognition and continuous training. The scheduling is flexible so outside school is possible. All policy and marketing decisions are made in headquarters in Texas; there are absolutely no decisions made in your store. Summary: clean, nice place to work with reasonable salaries.
Pros
Employee recognition, good benefits, flexible scheduling
Cons
Always on your feet, local management can be weak
There is very little room for difference at The Container Store.
Visual Layout and Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 2, 2018
The corporate culture at The Container Store is very strict. Employees are expected to happy, positive, and accommodating, not just with customers and on the sales floor, but when off the clock as well. Introverted employees, however skilled, never last long, and there is no sense of commiseration among employees, even after hours. Complaining, about anyone or anything, at any time, is simply not allowed.
Pros
wonderful products
Cons
Stifling corporate culture based on fake smiles.
Customer Solutions is not a fun place
Customer Service Representative Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXMarch 28, 2018
I wanted to work for this company because I heard so much about the culture and how fun it was. This was until I started working for the customer solutions area and then I started seeing that the morale and company culture didn’t really exist anymore after a while. Truly sad to see so many good people leaving the company because of some poor management. Don’t get me wrong not all the managers were bad however, you have one or two bad seeds and it can destroy the company and it’s morale.
Some of the great parts of the company though where the people that I got to work with on a daily basis. Great people and the benefits were awesome.

Upper management is not super great on all ends of the spectrum. You have a few good managers and then you have one or two that really destroy team morale. A matter of fact a lot of members that quit do to one of the managers.
Pros
Good Benefits and time off, the discounts
Cons
Management kills morale
Great part time opportunity
Visual Merchandiser/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  PAMarch 23, 2018
Great place to work especially if you have a full time job and want some extra money and experience but even if it's you're only job while you look for full time or if you're retuired and want/need extra income. The management team is great.

Hours are generally really good and if you need special consideration, like kids or school. They will work with you as much as possible. It seems to be an important factor that all part timers have an equal amount as per their availability and hours available in the store's location. For instance, my school schedule changed and I told my scheduling manager and they work with me. It's great! I love working here!

During the busier times of the year hours are pretty good for part time. Pay is also excellent, first of all, realize that you're working retail, which traditionally in most areas of the RETAIL world, you MAYBE get $7 or $8/hr if you're lucky but The Container Store's approach is different. The founders of The Container Store speak of their "7 foundation principles" and paying employees is one of them. This information is publicly available on their website.

It is great to work for a company that values its employees - and not merely the full timers and managers. It's also an environment where the managers work as a team, they all believe in and promote the 7 foundation principles.
Pros
Recognition, training, employee parties, great co-workers, clean break room, open communication, training opportunities
Cons
mostly all full time positions
Professional, Fast-Paced but Cooperative Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newton, MAMarch 9, 2018
The Container Store is a thrilling place to work. The energy is fast-paced, friendly, and constant. All the employees are very professional, and passionate about their role. The workplace specializes in organization and storage so each customer experience is a unique one. It was very easy to spend the day working, and free time afterwards shopping.
Pros
There was a spacious breakroom with fridge, and other amenities. Cooperative Team Members
na
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lone Tree, COMarch 8, 2018
Its too much of a cultish envirommet. Very personal, lots of nepitism. Loved the selection, merchandising and products. Employee empowermnet to handle returns is admirable
Fast paced
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2018
A typical day included working the register, being on the floor helping customers and also restocking merchandise. I learned what life in a retail environment such as this is like. My previous time in retail was in the clothing industry. The workplace culture is one of support and encouragement. For myself, the hardest part of the job was being on my feet but the best part was the interaction with fellow employees and customers.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Standing for prolonged periods of time
Not all it’s cracked up to be
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 20, 2018
They give you a false sense of security, make you believe they want your opinion until they realize you have a mind of your own than it’s all down hill from there. When they say “we drank the kook-aid” it’s not a joke. Very cultish environment with passive aggressive management.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Toxic environment
Bad company
na (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXFebruary 15, 2018
They only let in people who are friends. They are not an equal opportunity employer. They are backstabbing and cut throat type of people. Stay away from this company!
Pros
Cons
all
Amazing part time work
Part Time Visual Sales (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 14, 2018
Working for this company is the best situation one could expect for working part time. The only major benefit not covered was PTO. Time off was approved, just not paid. $12 per hour 2 years ago in Miami, I'm sure its different starting pay now. Everyone smiles. Most days are different from the last.Naturally, in a retail environment, they want you to sell....But with this store they are more concerned with solving a customer's need than the money spent. Good work is noticed and appreciated.
Pros
Great environment, usually upbeat, good benefits
Cons
few full time positions available
Fun place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Livingston, NJFebruary 9, 2018
Everyone I work with at the Container Store is super nice. It's a fun light environment. I wasn't stuck to the same job every shift which I thought was cool. Some days I'd be on register but another day I'd be doing click and pick up orders. Keeps it interesting.
The most enjoyable part of the job
VISUAL STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAFebruary 8, 2018
I love working with people day in and day out weather internal or external. I love training and developing the team on new procedures and policies. Worked with a great group of people.
Very relaxed and fun environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 6, 2018
Working at the container store provides you with a very clear cut schedule of what tasks are at hand for the day. The people are wonderful to work with.
Overnight Merchandise Processing
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2018
The job is ok. The manager and supervisors are easy to get along with. Some of the co-workers can be a bit immature, but aside from that, it pays the bills.
Cons
Strenuous work and low hourly wage.
Excellent Retail Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2018
On any given day at The Container Store I walk in knowing what to expect with abundant resources to stay informed about the company, it's mission, and daily/quarterly goals. I have learned valuable skills, chiefly, in customer service, workplace professionalism, and personal accountability. The management team is open, approachable, and carries many years of skill and knowledge. The staff is diverse and meticulously selected from the top of a large pool of applicants. We are given a focused training period that is much longer than most retailers, which adds to customer satisfaction in that they can be guaranteed to speak with employees that are well versed in product knowledge and organization. Customer service can be the most challenging aspect of any business but at The Container Store there are many resources and fellow employees working together to perform at the top of the game at all times.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, Workplace Discount
Cons
Part-time hours can vary, Physical limitations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Container Store. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight