The Container Store Employee Reviews

Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2019
Very great work environment. Provides constant training to keep all employees up-to-date and refreshed. Everyone is very good at communicating with each other which makes working as a team very beneficial and efficient.
Very Productive
CUSTOMER CARE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXApril 17, 2019
very engaging friendly people and everyone communicated effectively. Flexible for the hours you need work life balance.. Understanding and approachable
A workplace
Sales (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 16, 2019
Until you find something else: You do have to drink the Kool-aid and at times feels like a cult where you pretend it’s all great. Lots of promises made, pay does not equal the work, controlling mgmt style.
Pros
Flexible, some benefits
Cons
Be with company for 3 years for PTO?!
quick paced employment
Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 1, 2019
a very busy job with very good managers in charge. they are motivating and helpful to teach while providing appropriate critiques and assistance with any and all questions.
Positive environment and respect for employees
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMarch 28, 2019
The Container Store says that they only hire the best applicants, and they back this up by allowing employees a level of autonomy and independence that suggests trust in the employees decisions and capabilities. On the whole, it is a positive place to work, with a positive environment and tangible respect for employees.
Horrible place to work
oder puller/packer (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TX 75019March 20, 2019
I took this job for temporary employment until I could find something else. I wound up being there for a year as an order puller/packer. Didn't even get to work in field.
Very strict and shift work hours. I hated working on Sundays. No one worked together. Like working with a bunch of children on the playground.
Pros
Cons
horrible schedule & back breaking work
review
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNMarch 18, 2019
The Container Store really is a great place to work. I find that employees genuinely focus on working together towards goals that benefit the whole company. Management is compassionate towards employees and willing to make changes that will grow the business and benefit employees, vendors and customer alike.
Was a fun place to work, but starting to treat employees like robots.
Customer fullfillment (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXMarch 17, 2019
When I first started in 2017 i enjoyed working at TCS. The past six months however things seem to be going downhill. They are putting more and more pressure on employees and have a skeleton crew.
Pros
Occasional events for employees
Cons
Mandatory ot, high turn over; must be very fast paced
no longer a great place to work
Full Time Sales (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 16, 2019
Since the Co. went public and the original owners retired, the employee first culture has flown out the window. Customer service isn't a high priority anymore either.
Overall amazing company, but not for people who like a different day everyday
Employee (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXMarch 13, 2019
This company was something that taught me a lot of essential skills in a warehouse setting. I personally loved my coworkers, and the attitudes they brought to work everyday. There is definitely a reason for why they are ranked one of the best workplaces in America. The only cons I took away from it is that it is a very repetitive job, and the only way you can move around positions is for long-term employees, or people who are go getters.
Pros
Very energetic
Cons
Pay for food with paycheck, very repetitive
Fun, productive, caring environment
Part-time Retail Sales/Design/Visual Sales (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 11, 2019
The Container store is a unique environment that can be enjoyed by multiple personalities. They truly see the value in putting the employee first. There is continual training for all employees to help them grow within.

I made it a point to learn all aspects of the business and have become a hybrid part-time employee for them.
1. Traditional floor sales - helping customers reorganize areas of their home.
2. Design Center Sales - working with customers to design their closets, pantries, laundry rooms and garages.
3. Visual Sales - I work with a team of people to reset the store for specific campaigns; and manage new stock delivered weekly.

We all have hard days. The environment here has a way to turn you upside right within the first hour of the shift. Positive feeds positive! The team really cares about you as the individual.

Most might say the hardest part of the job is the occasional heavy lifting. But we take great care to help each other here too! No man left behind. All would agree the enjoyable part of the job would be working together and designing ideas to make our customers lives easier.
Pros
Sometimes we have lunches together; they are always considerate of your personal needs (schedules).
Cons
the only thing I or anyone might say, the 5am truck shift. But we still have fun!
very unorganized too many generals not enough soldiers spending more time on how to get the job done then actually getting the job done.
Overnight Merchandise Processor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2019
Too many leaders not enough soldiers very indecisive never got the job done because of it. didn't know how to delegate a large crew. management will run around like a chicken without a head. Had no troubleshooting skills. For a company known for organization they had none within the company. they had no HR I have no idea what to do when HR problems arise even serious ones which state took off let's sweep it under the rug approach. You literally have to be there three years before they give you any PTO I'm the only sick time they had was issued through a mandate off New York City.
Ok Job
Morning Stocker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 1, 2019
I didn't really enjoy the container store because the management would always push us to work faster even if we were working well. The pay wasn't great.
No Career Advancement. Lacking Benefits
SALES LEAD (Current Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 20, 2019
Unfortunately, TCS does not provide much in terms of benefits. Limited time off that is rarely approved. Management that says one thing and does another. Poor work/life balance. Toxic work environment. Unrealistic expectations not comparable to compensation.
Retail experience
Sales and Visual Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 19, 2019
It was located in palo alto so it was always busy on a day to day basis. Pretty good place to work at and learn the basis of retail and customer service. Would recommend to people. The best part for me was Fridays I didn't really help out customers because I entered at 5 in the morning to do truck meaning taking down product and putting product where it belongs. It was really fast paced but time went by so fast and I would be off by 2 in the afternoon and had the rest of my day free to go out.
Pros
DIscounts, worked with friends. safe environment
Cons
said they were flexible, wouldn't give me the days i asked off
Retail in Transition
Sales (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2019
TCS has a strong history of employee-first culture which is rapidly changing due to its transition to a publicly held company. Training has been cut, wages are no longer above area average and short-staffing in the NYC market creates a very stressful work environment as both corporate and customer expectations are high, while staffing levels are low.
Pros
Strong on boarding process, good communication of schedules, great disount
Cons
Extremely variable schedules, last-minute schedule changes, understaffing.
The manager that was there when I worked there was a mircro-manager and made it difficult to complete tasks.
Sales Agent activities (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 13, 2019
The overall statement of The Container Store is ideal. However not everything developed to make the store fabulous is not completed. For example the shelves have ipads with instructions how to stock them; this is not trained, not always followed.
Pros
The other team leads were professional and fun to work with
Cons
No training on the head sets that were required
Fast Paced & Early
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 5, 2019
I went in early in the morning to stock the merchandise and it was fast pace - being detail oriented is a plus to working here, if you don't notice things easily or if you have a hard time functioning early I wouldn't recommend it.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
early, heavy lifting
great work place
STORE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  48 Market Street, Yonkers, NY 10710January 21, 2019
this was my first job and it was a great experience. I've learned a lot and I got a lot of good training as well. I actually loved working there, everyone was nice and friendly and I will never forget them
Pros
Good training, good pay, nice co-workers
Cons
short breaks
Great team and fast paced
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peabody, MAJanuary 20, 2019
Everyone is great to work with and the pace is a good pace, it's not a very difficult job. Managers are very friendly and easy to talk to. I developed better customer service skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Container Store. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The Container Store.

Powered by Comparably