The Dallas Morning News Employee Reviews

Worklplace Culture
Materials Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 19, 2019
The workplace culture at the Dallas Morning News was one of comradery. I always considered my co-workers as an extended family. Through the changes in the newspaper, we had to adapt and change. It was the close connections we had with each other, that enabled us to weather the storms.
Pros
Workplace Relationships
Cons
The loss of employees due to layoffs.
Fast Paced Environment
Account Executive/Sales (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 10, 2019
Exciting and productive work environment. Consistantly bringing new products and tools to incorporate into client proposals in order to grow ROI as well as establishing a long term, trusting relationship.
Pros
Family Like Atmosphere
Cons
Too many promises from management that never pan out
was the best place to work for years but not anyplace to be now due to going digtal
Pressroom Foreman (Former Employee) –  3900 W plano pkwyApril 9, 2019
was the best job where folks looked out for each other, was like a big family. everyone took pride in what was produced, and tried to be the best so when you seen a paper in the store you know it was part of you
When 1 crew was having a bad run other crews would help out. Due to the news paper demand things changed & nobody cares about anything but making themselves look good
A good place to work with a focused mission
Multiplatform Editor (digital and print) (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 13, 2019
The Dallas Morning News is committed to its mission of informing the public and holding public officials accountable. In recent years, we've shifted our main focus to a digital presentation while also continuing to produce daily print editions. We have had several rounds of layoffs in the past few years, which has hurt morale as the newspaper industry has struggled. Some journalists have left the newsroom on their own for more stable positions elsewhere, while others have lost their jobs at the DMN due to layoffs. Management is very supportive and has made numerous hires to boost our digital efforts as we try to find a business model that will allow the newspaper to survive.
Building Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 7, 2019
Nice place to work.Lots of PTO time.Four days working week.Good benefits. Very flexible with off days.Many layoffs over the years .Job is not very secure .
Pros
Lots of PTO time
Review Summary
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXFebruary 27, 2019
Crew leaders were terrible. At the time stop delivery I was owes over 3000 dollars. The leaders then tried to collect for taxes. Not at all a good job.
Great Atmosphere
Administrative/Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 10, 2019
Fun atmosphere. Management would have parties/celebrations for the employees. I enjoyed the laid back dresscode and atmosphere. Management was laid back and trusted employees to do their job .
Pros
Fun Environment
productive
Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 15, 2019
Obtain a 100% customer satisfaction score within the department.Identified the needs of customers promptly and efficiently.Assisted in supervising other teammates to ensure their daily sales goals were met.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
no healthcare benefits
Productive and rewarding
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 24, 2018
a typical day is faced past, deadlines must be meet. I have learned to problem solve , diversity, and look for ways to show leadership. The hardest part was working on hoilidays
Pros
60 min lunch
Cons
no break in between
Great part time
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 21, 2018
good paying low skill part time environment is great is hard work you feel part of something bigger, good for first time job, you have to use your own car for delivery so buy a 4 cylinder cheap car.
I felt I was doing important work at a vital community resource
Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 6, 2018
A typical day at work allowed me to work with vastly varied types of material, from opinion pieces to wire service reports of national/international news to front-page major stories; I edited copy, wrote headlines and captions, scrutinized graphics for accuracy, and examined photos for proper cropping and placement.

I learned a great deal about Dallas, its culture and politics, its institutions, traditions and sports teams; about the Morning News, its traditions and culture; and generally about the role of a front-line copy editor at a major Amercan newspaper.

Unfortunately management was in transition at the Dallas Morning News while I worked there. I did get a sense of continuity and a desire to maintain quality despite difficult circumstances.

The culture in the newsroom was friendly and accepting of newcomers and contract workers, with everyone happy to point a newbie toward resources and other necessities.

The hardest part of working at the Dallas Morning News was trying properly uphold its tradition of excellence every day.

The most enjoyable part f working at the Morning News was being able to be a part of something special in the newspaper world.
Pros
Filling a vital role in a crucial community resource in one of the most vibrant cities in America.
Cons
Long commute from where I live
Very easy, laid back work environment
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 20, 2018
It's a very good job to have for extra income.The work was very easy. The job consisted of bagging up Newspapers, loading the newspapers in my vehicle, and then following an assigned route to completion.
Pros
Very laid back
Cons
No off days or benefits
the most enjoyable part of the job
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 5, 2018
The commute was good. The hours were flexible. I made a lot of friends. Management was friendly and open to ideas. I had design control over multiple projects. .
Pros
It was in downtown Dallas.
Cons
No lunchroom.
Overall I enjoyed working for the Dallas Morning News
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXOctober 15, 2018
The only downfall was that you work every night without a day off and it starts to become a strain on your overall health and you become deprived of sleep. I would love to have continued there; however, the number of customers dropped almost in half in just a year and 1/2. So the business consolidated and a lot of the routes were moved to other drop off locations and there was not enough work.
A company with a close net group of employees.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 16, 2018
This company has many facets and occupations under one roof, and yet all work collectively to achieve a common goal. Working here, it will be almost impossible to not make some very close and lasting friends.
Pros
Comradery and Friendship
Cons
Changing Dynamics can cause Initial Stress
Enjoyed the job
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 7, 2018
if you love the drive then is a great job you get to drive to stores and people homes and drop off news papers its a fun job the only thing is that you do have to put in a lot of gas and it wars on your car
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Wear and Tear on your car
Get to be a part of something great with great people
Account Executive/Sales (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 5, 2018
While DMN struggles to keep the business thriving due to market conditions, it is a great organization to work for. The leaders and the people are great and truly care about those they work with. I strongly recommend working with this organization.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Declining industry creates the need for frequent cutbacks
Its an good place to work just lay offs
Account Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 25, 2018
They do a lot of lay offs and trying to keep up with the times. Print is becoming obsolete so they are doing things to reinvent themselves for revenue. Overall it was a good company to work for
Pros
Good way to start career
Cons
lay offs
This job was awesome.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJuly 31, 2018
It was a very interesting job and there was very loveky and funnpeople to be around in such late and rlearly hours of the day. The manager was always kind and checking in on everyone and tried to work around scheduals.
Pros
Occasional spreads and christmas bonuses.
Cons
Late hours and no insurance benifits.
Politics
Press Service Associate (Lead) (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 29, 2018
Enjoyed my team, the work we did. Got political and management levied team members against one another in a public setting. That's wasn't cool. Left shortly after.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Dallas Morning News. Our community is ready to answer.