The David J. Joseph Company Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Developmental skills learned
Communication Director (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 25, 2018
Phone system for the main office was a 100 point system (everyone that called the main office would be directed to my phone line and I would then direct them to their contact) Microsoft products learned and multitasking skills
Pros
Multitasking helped the day go by faster
Cons
Wanted to advance but I couldn’t because I was only on a contract assignment
Great team environment
HR Dept (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OhioJanuary 5, 2018
I've been with the company almost 5 years and LOVE IT. Great work life balance, everyone at the company is very approachable and easy to talk to. Great place to learn, great team environment.
Pros
team work, work life balance
Cons
Good
Facility Supervisor Trainee (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32824October 7, 2017
It was good place to work. Learned a good amount about junkyards and recycling business. Long hours of work and lack of communication between management make it a hectic environment.
Pros
Cons
Lack of communication.
Look elsewhere
CSA - Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  New MexicoMay 19, 2017
Management is horrible. They have 3 managers and no communication amungst them and they all work in the same trailer only one room separates them. Customer service is terrible and everyone always has a bad attitude. Employees have been asulted by customers and management just sits in their well conditioned office while employees deal with nothing but rough customers. I will admit the pay can be good but not for what you deal with. High turn over rate and lots of drama it seems as well but most employees are nice to work with.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor management
Good company, great benefits
Administrative Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2017
My day was spent transcribing the district managers messages, e-mails, hotel and travel arrangements. Occasionally would meet up with travel agent for lunches, visit hotels for upcoming visits from our clients and for visits from upper management from home office in Cincinnati. Would meet office supply companies to get best prices for our office needs. Would call for repairs on all office equipment. Worked on getting bids for new phone system for a new location. I shopped for our office needs; whether office supplies or kitchen supplies.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Knowing for 2 yrs in advance the company was downsizing in all district offices in the US
Horrible place to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 22, 2016
Scrap prices go down means less cars means less hours and layoffs. Not sure about corporate but sight managers have no regard to employee well beings. Lack of breaks. Dangerous equipment operators.
Pros
Free lunch sometimes
Cons
Lack of breaks, low pay, poor managment
Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaApril 28, 2015
Fun place to work
Great pay and benefits
No personal life, work life balance
Growth potential
Learning experience
Admin
Brokerage Accountant Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 17, 2015
Don't believe what you read. The Charleston office is the most back stabbing place I have ever work. The new management is horrible. They even monitor your bathroom breaks. Use to be a wonderful place to work. The Upper management are a bunch of fakes. Don't trust them.
Great
Torch man/Steel Yard Locomotive Operator (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJanuary 7, 2015
I enjoyed the skills and wages. The job was a great learning experience.
Production, Cincinnati Ohio
production (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati OhioDecember 30, 2014
Job started out good, then they increased their hiring pay and it took them 3 months to bump my pay up to what new hires made. Beware that they will hire new people that will make more than you if you have been there for months or years. The safety coordinator is a stickler and will halt all production. Bonuses were alright, but the company does favoritism. I would only recommend this company as a temporary job 6 months to a year. You do however receive free fuel once a week but management abuses this , one manager fills up five or six of his family's cars a week, and will deny you, saying he doesn't have time to fill yours.
Pros
occasionally bonuses, free gas
Cons
no advancement, unfair work practices.
fast paced work
Bilingual Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 19, 2014
As a dispatcher, the work was very fast paced, always changing, high stress. Enjoyed small group environment.
They dont care about you or your family
Kiosk Operator (Current Employee) –  KansasNovember 18, 2014
I'm harassed every morning, because I have a "medical condition" where i suffer from morning sickness and headaches along with stomach pain, due to heavy lifting at work, and I have to miss work sometimes. Manager just tells me to "hang in there, it will get better". I call HR and talk to the woman who deals with fmla and she is one of the most narcissistic people I know besides my manager.When it comes to your family, don't expect to have any time with them because you will work mon-sat every week!! Oh and don't let them fool you, Kiosk operator is also a laborer!! Must be able to lift 50+ lbs continuously for a 8.5 hrs day and deal with extreme hot or cold weather.
Pros
Good Insurance
Cons
management, Hr, harassment and immature co-workers
DJJ is a good place to work but not in Jackson, TN
Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNAugust 25, 2014
I have worked for DJJ for 18 years and for the most part was treated well and felt that I contributed to the success of the company. Two and a half years ago, I was overseeing an operation that had some management issues that I corrected but was stained by it. Jackson, TN became my only option.
Pros
Forefront of the scrap business, decent benefits and pay.
Cons
Limited movement within the company
Harassment,No customer relations Brevard County
Worker (Former Employee) –  Brevard CountyAugust 6, 2014
Harassment at its finest.Was told our 30 minute lunch breaks were mandatory yet lack of man power or help you would not get the time off.
"Its about the customer"management told me then proceeded to dock me 30minutes everyday for a lunchbreak I never got.Most of the managers I came across had no aspects of the scrap industry. Only book and college knowledge which hurt the company two fold.Examples:Unfortunately, lightning affects everyone and because of safety we had a day a storm hit the company with severe lightning. Our protocol is to take cover and ask customers to stay in their vehicles.On this day, the storm hit at 2:45pm and lasted until 4:45pm, our dedicated customers waited in line 2 hours most of those with no a/c in their vehicles on a 94 degree day.After the lighting detector allowed the company to re-open only then a supervisor was told to go out and tell the customers,"Were closed for today, we reopen at 7:45am".Thats right, they sent home over 20 vehicles and tractor trailers away.Thats right, sent away.Would you go back?Not a customer oriented company which relies on scrap brought in.
Pros
Decent safety procedures
Cons
Lack of knowledge. Not about customer. Managers inexperience.
want a job here?
kiosk (Former Employee) –  paducah, kyJune 14, 2014
I passed everything, except credit. Thanks to my sons (deceased) medical bills, my credit wasnt good enough to work here at 11.00/hr. This is an obvious indicator of the companies philosophy. Apply at your own risk, and reap what you sow.
Pros
pleasant coworkers
Cons
class based discrimination
good place to work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 29, 2014
Good job. Received intercompany payments and applied payments to open invoices. Received customer payments and applied to open invoices. Did supplier set up for all DJJ LLC's approved purchase contracts for all DJJ LLC's.
Decent job out of college. Limited long term potential.
Brokerage Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 15, 2014
Decent job out of college. Limited long term potential. Overall compensation is heavily based on a subjective annual bonus. Base salaries are lack luster and the annual bonus flows with the markets and management's opinions not the employee's job performance.
Even if I was offered a huge amount of money. I would not want to work here again.
Scale Operator/Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  SLC, UTApril 24, 2014
Cons - No breaks or lunches- Working 9 + hours a day on my feet. I ate lunch standing up between customers. I brought this up to management and they helped for a day or two but then we were told they were too busy to offer breaks. However, exceptions were made for one employee when she was working in the scale house all day.
Did not feel valued - The management did not seem to care how I was treated by the customers. On more than one occasion I was sexually harassed and verbally abused. This even happened in front of my supervisor and he did nothing. When brought up by my coworkers or myself to management they replied that it was nothing and we were bringing it upon ourselves by the way we dressed or acted with them.
Poor Leadership - Talked down to by management on more than one occasion and verbally abused by management depending on the day. There were different rules depending on who was the manager dealing with the situation. One manager would establish a procedure and then another manager asked us why we were doing it that way and told us to stop. No accountability and no stability. I didn’t know how to do my job each day because it changed repeatedly.
Discrimination - I worked with several different nationalities. Sad to say we were not all treated the same. I was held to a higher standard. If I made a mistake I was written up. On more than one occasion a coworker of a different nationality made the same mistake and it was brushed off. When brought up to HR and management, we were simply told it was a cultural difference but that only went one way because we
  more... were not of the minority nationality. The other nationalities were not expected to read and write English but we were expected to be able to communicate with them.
If a coworker or I made a mistake, we had to worry about the management publicly discussing it instead of it being handled between management and the employee. When I told management that it needed to be handled directly with the employee so we knew what we were doing wrong, I was told that would happen. It was never handled or addressed that way.

advice to management -
Saying your door is open means nothing if you do not take the time to actively listen to your employees. I shared my views and experiences on more than one occasion and was told that I needed to "just keep my mouth shut" or "just stick to my job"
Pros
I was able to work with friends which made the days short and improved the team work, Medical benefits were fair - good.
Cons
See review.
Excellent Experience
Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 16, 2014
I learned how to solve troubleshoot ticket by SharePoint and add permission for end users. The hardest part of the job is Business Process Automation.
Diversity and fun job
Freight Coordinater/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAFebruary 26, 2014
My job with TMR was very interesting I did scheduling of trucks and rail cars. I also handle containers which were shipped overseas and did all the paperwork. I also did the accounts payable for the office. My co-workers were wonderful people and it was always fun even when we were extremely busy you could find someone smiling and we did not have to many bad days. Hardest part of the job again if you made an error in judgment for instance releasing a railcar that weighed to much this would cost the company money. Most enjoyable part the diversity and fun of working in that office with the people.
Pros
Busy but not overwhelming, diverse, and fun.
Cons
Trying to stay focused and not make any mistakes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The David J. Joseph Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9