The Denver Post Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Loved the Denver Post
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 24, 2018
Always enjoyed my job, the people I meet throughout my career and was very sad to be let go after 20+ years due to reduction in the workforce. Best of luck to the newspaper and to its success in the future.
Dont do it
House deliver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 15, 2018
With he paper routes most of them are not In order so you have to find the houses and on top of that it does not pay the bills or its self in gas and putting a lot of miles on a vehicle sucks I know I was putting 100+ on it every day you work 7 days a week not worth it!!
Pros
There are none
Very fast paced and somewhat dangerous
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COJanuary 18, 2018
You sign a contract stating that you will work 7 days a week with no time off unless hospitalized. The pay isn’t worth the stress on an older car or the possibility of wrecking said car. You aren’t an employee of the Denver post, your a pawn. Very nice crew and manager. All of the training isn’t paid until you sign a contract and if you do sign a contract, it requires a 2 week notice or you will be paying them for quitting early. All and all not worth it unless you’re desperate.
GRAPHIC DESIGN INTERN (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 4, 2018
Very collaborative place to work. I really enjoyed it. Learned a lot as an intern there. Would recommend working there to anyone who enjoys a fast-paced environment
not worth it
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Littleton, CODecember 15, 2017
the atmosphere is cool and all the people seem nice but this is a job you REALLY have to be committed to. there are no days off unless you get someone to cover you, they make you sign a contract that says you have to pay them if you cant hack it and you'll be putting at least 30 miles on your car a day and spending probably $40 a week in gas alone. all things taken into account, you're probably making minimum wage.
Pros
you get to work alone, listen to your own music
Cons
wrecks your car, some of the routes are awful and pay way too low
Great First Job
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 27, 2017
Worked with my dad he was a crew manager who brought me on fairly young. Taught me sales and people communication skills. Taught me about hard work and dedication. Was an absolute eye opening first job.
Pros
Worked with family
Cons
Short brakes
Good people, long hours.
Manager - Finance and Accounting (Former Employee) –  58th & Washington St, Denver COJune 13, 2017
I really enjoyed the people I worked with and the leadership of the CFO.

I gained valuable experience with new applications and software.

I am grateful for my opportunity at the Post.
dying and depressing company
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 22, 2017
It was a great job in the beginning but as the years went by and the company started losing business, it got really depressing. The cutbacks left us with bare bones crews and we weren't given the tools needed to do our jobs effectively.
Pros
They pay pretty well.
Cons
Too many to count.
Good for summer job
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 17, 2017
You get paid $0.05per paper, thats the reality. $1600 advertised paid is if you do two or more routes which takes up to 5 hours everyday. And to get there you need a lot of patience. No workers comp so if you got injured during work you just have to suck it up
Pros
Good managers
Cons
Work everyday
Contract- Newspaper Carrier
Self-Employed Contractor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 2, 2017
Hours were flexible, job attire was casual, learned the city, receive news before others, learned about being self-employed keeping your own records and paying your taxes. It help you understand what it means to own your own business.
Pros
Work your owned hours and routes
Cons
Work seven days a week with not benefits or holidays off.
Steer Clear
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 19, 2016
This is a terrible company to work for. Mediocre management, low morale among employees. Expect to be laid off at some point to satisfy the profit margin of its hedge fund parent company.
benefits
Cons
very high turnover, regular layoffs, top heavy management
Improvement with management
Carrier (Current Employee) –  Loveland, COOctober 1, 2016
I've worked for this company in Loveland since 2008 before the merge. I have been a delivery driver the entire time. I have worked for several managers and witnessed the difficulties in not only staffing challenges but keeping an organized and efficiently running warehouse. Chris is my current manager and is doing a far better job in the warehouse and with his employees than any other manager I have worked for thus far. I feel he is fair and willing to encourage career advancement opportunities to those who he feels are ready for those tasks. I would highly recommend working for this company in the Loveland area for extra income.
Pros
Work nights so days are free
Cons
Work is everyday for daily carriers
Best job I've ever had
Carrier (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, COSeptember 30, 2016
Easy ,simple , fast paced! We just throw papers out of the car! Then go home right after, I use to work construction and by comparison is the easiest thing you could ever do. You definitely want to work here!
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
Good for the most part in a changing environment.
Circulation and assistant production manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 30, 2016
I work for the Denver Post from the time of the merger through 2014. I worked with good people in different functions and departments.
Benefits were very good but declined gradually as the nature of the newspaper business changed.
Pros
Excellent hard-working staff.
Cons
Declining newspaper readership meant less job stability.
Much stress in the highly volatile newspaper business.
Travel Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 25, 2015
Good place to work, and I loved the people, but job downsizes hung over you all the time. New ownership not interested in anything other than getting production up and employee numbers down. Some jobs sent overseas.
Pros
Good working conditions.
Cons
Worried about being let go all the time.
Busy, productive and focused group of professionals
Managing Editor for Presentation & Design (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 6, 2015
My typical day started at 10 a.m. and ended at 8 p.m. I would supervise the visual report for daily and advanced publication deadlines, manage budgets and schedules, and run small team meetings with members of the visuals staff and cross departmental meetings to discuss various projects. The more enjoyable parts of the day were having discussions with colleagues and seeing the paper or a special report come together.
Pros
Flexible hours for managers.
Cons
The job was 24/7.
The Pinnacle of My Career So Far
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 12, 2014
I worked for the Post while I had young children, and so the late hours and unpredictability of the job put a lot of stress on me and even more on my family. And I've got to say there are still a few assistant city editors I'd like to push into a very cold swimming pool. But all things said and done, what a thrill! It was what I always wanted to do, and I got the opportunity. Who could ask for anything more!
Pros
Protecting the people from the powerful
Cons
Editors who like to rewrite reporter's copy
Productive and fun workplace
Inside/Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 10, 2014
Typical day at work consist of cold calling and upselling customers, and maintaining and upselling current customers. I learned many sales techniques, and how to get through the gate keeper. Most of the management was great. My co-workers were like family. Hardest part of the job was competing with Craigslist because their advertising is free. Most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers and my customers.
Benefits
Cons
Competitve market
Awful Management in Sales - Advertising
Digital Advertising Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 9, 2013
If your idea of "management" us to be told "show me the money" with no actual leadership, this is the place for you. You can double your revenue YOY and still only be half way to your new goal and not make a cent in commission. If you DO have qualifying sales for some incentive, they find a way to not pay it. Goals are random and ridiculous and unachievable most months. The key to success is now "25-25-25" You must be about 25 years old,expect to earn $25k and are expected to be gone in 25 months. Management is non-existent and has no ideas. The pressure is INTENSE because it is a sinking ship revenue wise. Morale is horrible. Managers only care about spreadsheets and don't know how to motivate or lead the staff to success. Liked the people on my team but they've almost all been layed off, fired or left. Union (or what is left of it) is impotent and can only watch as you leave or negotiate your exit. They make all sorts of promises but most new people were disappointed in a few short weeks once they realized they'd been duped.
Pros
Good parking, fair benefits
Cons
Poor management, toxic mental environment.

Comment – April 15, 2016

All in this review is true. I worked at the Post for about 10 years. It it a classic example of horrible sales management. There is no management. The problem is that for years the paper just raked in the dough so no one had to be good. As the business changed, management didn't respond because they don't know what to do. I saw so many people come and go in my time and the staff reduced by 80%. This place will suck the soul right out of you. What managers they do have are like stepford wives. They just parrot what they are told. Now a days I would only recommend the Post if you have no other options at all.

Good job, Good benf and pay
truck driver/unloader (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 19, 2012
Drove nights as a teamster, regional driver, working nights became harder to do with my kids being so young
Pros
good work invironment
Cons
night work only