The Desmond Hotel Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 19, 2018
I worked at The Desmond (Albany NY) for a short period of time in the Sales office. I was not trained to do my job, just thrown in to it and expected to do everything correctly. When I asked to be shown things my department head wouldn't, but a few of the other managers would show me. When I realized that the Sales department was not for me I went to HR about it. HR manager tried to work with me to get me somewhere were my skills would be used (Banquets). I started training as a banquet manager (unofficially). When a banquet manager position came up I was told I was not a good fit, despite the hours of training I did for that department. Soon after I was let go because there wasn't enough work for me to do. It was handled great by the HR department, but not great by the Sales department or the GM.
Pros
HR department rocks!
great place to work,
Lead Banquet Cook (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 14, 2018
Good benefits, great co-workers. When its busy its really busy. But also has times when its really slow. It was a union job at the time I worked there. GM has since changed .
Great
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 28, 2017
Wonderful place to work if you are interested in hospitality. Friendly staff most of the time, and can be a fun and exciting job. You meet a lot of people.
Great friendly hotel
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PASeptember 22, 2017
Great co workers but certain times throughout the day when it would change from slow paced to fast. Must know scheduled times for events in case everyone gets busy wth guests coming in.
nice place to work
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAMay 12, 2017
Good place to work; pay is adequate and the environment is nice. The pace has a nice atmosphere and the guest are all nice. They provide meals and are flexible with time.
A good stepping stone
Reservations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PAMay 10, 2017
This job has allowed me to learn all aspects of a hotel. I feel I have gained knowledge in all departments of a hotel. I can confidently say that if I am placed in any department of a hotel I would be able to exceed above and beyond.
Fun place to work.
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAMarch 27, 2017
Always something different happening. Management was pleasant to work for. Work/Life Balance was non-existent if you wanted to make money. Plenty of opportunities to make a lot of money depending on the season.
Pros
Cons
Work/Life balance.
One of my favorite jobs
Director of Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Colonie, NYJanuary 30, 2017
Managed the Purchasing Department and staff. Responsible for overseeing a multi-million dollar budget under serious deadlines. Responsible for all food for the hotel.
Pros
Awesome place to work
Your Future
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 24, 2017
The Desmond is a good place to work if you are looking for accounting experience as a night auditor. You work more as a junior accounting staff than just about any other place. Working front desk comes with its own setbacks and unappealing parts. Overall the money is good but your going to work for it!
Pros
Hard work turns into high marketability
Cons
Overnight, Dealing with guests
Busy and upbeat atmosphere
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PADecember 19, 2016
A typical day was compromised of arriving approximately an hour before the restaurant opened in order to prep tables and server stations. A usual shift usually consisted of 4-7 other employees, all ranging in age. Management was always available for employee's needs as well as the customers. There was a strong sense of teamwork among employees.
Pros
Free meal with shift
Cons
Healthcare was not great
Fun and rewarding environment
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PAJanuary 21, 2016
The Desmond Hotel offers many different opportunities for work. Management is very efficient and professional even in a high stress environment.
I have learned how to work with co-workers who are on different levels of understanding the job. During each shift you are faced with different clients and different kinds of jobs. I have learned to delegate tasks to other co-workers who are less experienced and have been handed jobs personally by management.
Interesting place to work
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PASeptember 18, 2015
The environment is a good workplace to do business. People are very kind to each other and get along as a family. Its a very nice place to work.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
N/a
Just a job, not much else.
Front Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAJanuary 4, 2015
Ah, the Desmond Great Valley. A hotel that struggles to provide you the best guest experience possible, and that can be interpreted either way.

Despite an extremely dedicated staff and an award winning dinning menu and banquet facility, The Desmond remains heavily burdened with outdated themes and a problematic infrastructure. The modern traveler, for example, would expect an upscale hotel room to include a refrigerator in every room. Not the case. Compact fridges are in limited quantity and only available upon request, even in an upgraded room. Wi-fi is free but terribly unreliable and insecure. Most guests who rely on uninterrupted internet access discovered they made a terrible and costly assumption. Other than refrigerators and wi-fi, complaints were frequent about faulty shower-heads, poor AC/heat, and NOISE.

The noise most often came from rowdy wedding guests who partied well into the night or from unsupervised children and/or teenagers of traveling sports teams. Staff had very little control over these two major group types, and would readily apologize for the disruption, but the reality is that these two groups provided the most business for the hotel, so it was common to have between 2-6 major wedding/sports groups booked at one time, which led to more noise. The wealthy business traveler, the type of guest the hotel desperately needs, would never return after a restless night of never ending slamming doors and people yelling.

FROM A STAFF PERSPECTIVE:

PROS:
-good place to work if you need hospitality experience

CONS/ red flags:
-many staff
  more... college students or people who didn't live on own or have to pay rent because you can't make a living doing this
-very little training
-upper management and sales reps. pretended not to know you
-work all weekends and holidays unless you're lucky
-overtime rare, "full-time" 36 hours or less
-half of supervisors showed up late to their shift or proved incapable during stressful situations
-your next week's work schedule not available until one week or less before the start of the week. Forget about making plans outside of work.
-workers wearing a suit told to perform outside landscaping work in July?????????????
-in-house departments not getting along well with each
other/poor communication
-management with a never ending "just get it done we'll talk later" approach
-you don't have a job title, you just do what ever you're told
-evening workers who didn't get home until 12:30am expected back to work at 7am, with less than 8 hours notice
-you were weird if you didn't smoke cigarettes
Pros
good hospitality/ problem solving exp.
Cons
Everything else.
Fast Paced Customer Service, Great team of workers, Not my career
Front Office Representative (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PANovember 18, 2013
This has been a great workplace for me and I enjoy working with a great team of employees. This job got me through college and I am very grateful for my experience here. However I am currently unsatisfied with this position because this is not my true career. Now that I have graduated college I am ready to move on to the next level.

This job has opened my eyes into the real world of people and how they expect things to be. Throughout the day I meet many different types of people with a variety of needs. I must be resourceful as possible to be able to meet the needs of every single guest that approaches me at the hotel. I am fortunate to be able to work with a great team of coworkers that are like family to me. We are able to trust each other and rely on other's to carry out the work. The nature of the work is unpredictable because every day is different and every single guests' needs are different so I've learned how to be very flexible and helpful as possible while on this job.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
low pay, unreasonable hours
Not the greatest place I've ever worked.
Banquet Cook (Former Employee) –  Paoli, PAJuly 16, 2013
The only great thing about this place was the money. The starting rate was a little higher than average. Other than that, there's not much positive feed back I can offer. The chefs were very rude. I understand that chefs are typically mean, this one guy took it to an entirely different level. His anger problems and approach towards people are well documented. His temperamental mood swings make for a very hostile and uncomfortable work place. The "Head Chef" is often juvenile and makes of the very same mistakes he chastises the kitchen staff for. The hotel owners son also works there as a manager of sorts. I don't think I need to elaborate any further on his situation. Not to mention that the staff is very clique oriented. I definitely would not recommend working here.
It was a happy work enviroment
Fast Food Cook (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 26, 2013
I really love this job because i was hired right after i was finish as a intern. I studied culinary as a trade it was a nice experience.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
far my house
The best by far was a great place to work.
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAJuly 19, 2012
We would get our boards in the morning to clean the rooms or maybe work in laundry maintain the lobby. I learned what my regular customers wanted. My supervisors were great team players and we could count on them to help us if needed. Co-workers were always polite and very helpful. There really wasn't a hard part of the job. I truly enjoyed working for this establishment and also know that if i ever needed them they were always there to help me.
Pros
free lunch, great atmosphere and good people.
Cons
there were none